BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at 6.5 Grendel, Howa an CZ make bolt guns, great ballistics very low recoil PLENTY of energy at 200 yards.
View Quote
Several have recommended one, the other or both of your recommendations?

Any love for Ruger American in 6.5G?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
True, a deer won't know the difference, and obviously it's your call.

The only reason I would still recommend 243 is because that 95 grain bullet will be going close to 3,000 fps and that means a nice flat trajectory. It's nice for a new shooter/hunter to not have to worry much about that. It's also going to mean higher hydrostatic shock.

Yes, inside 200 yards, it doesn't matter THAT much, but if I had to pick why would I pick something worse? The size of the action won't make a lick of difference compared to the size of the stock.

-Stooxie
View Quote
I get what you are saying and agree, when only looking at the impact end of the shoot.  Heck a 30-06 or similar has it all over a .243 if that were the only consideration.

I'm trying to balance that with the other end, the recoil of firing the weapon.

With more energy comes greater recoil.

I'm trying to find that place where younger shooters don't regret pulling the trigger while still providing an ethical kill potential.

Want to take them to the range and train them to shoot consistently.

I'll be glad to buy them heavier hunting tools as they develop.

I'm looking for a starter set  
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
With more energy comes greater recoil.

I'm trying to find that place where younger shooters don't regret pulling the trigger while still providing an ethical kill potential.
View Quote
My knuckleheads think the bigger the recoil, the cooler the rifle.

(Just sayin’...)
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It killed the hell out of him, for sure, but the lack of blood trail was a little disappointing. I wonder if it’s the SST projectile.  I was similarly disappointed with the TTSX in .243 ... it looked a lot like that, but the deer went about 60y without a drop of blood.
View Quote
The buck I mentioned previously, that I shot with a .416 Rigby.  It didn't drop a single speck of blood until I had it hanging from the gambrels, its hide removed, and its diaphragm opened.  No bullet can guarantee a blood trail.  Several times I have seen a spectacular blood trail suddenly stop without recovering the deer, or the only reason we found the deer was with the help of dogs.

If I get some time, I'll tell y'all the true story of Buck Norris, the whitetail that survived a perfect broadside double lung hit from a 130 gr .270 Win at 100ish yards.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My knuckleheads think the bigger the recoil, the cooler the rifle.

(Just sayin'...)
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The buck I mentioned previously, that I shot with a .416 Rigby.  It didn't drop a single speck of blood until I had it hanging from the gambrels, its hide removed, and its diaphragm opened.  No bullet can guarantee a blood trail.  Several times I have seen a spectacular blood trail suddenly stop without recovering the deer, or the only reason we found the deer was with the help of dogs.

If I get some time, I'll tell y'all the true story of Buck Norris, the whitetail that survived a perfect broadside double lung hit from a 130 gr .270 Win at 100ish yards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It killed the hell out of him, for sure, but the lack of blood trail was a little disappointing. I wonder if it’s the SST projectile.  I was similarly disappointed with the TTSX in .243 ... it looked a lot like that, but the deer went about 60y without a drop of blood.

I totally understand and agree. I’m just noting that there wasn’t much blood on the ground in your pic.  I’ve seen blood trails that Ray Charles could follow, and I’ve seen nary a speck to be found. Sometimes it’s dumb luck, but some rounds seem to consistently produce better blood trails than others. I was very disappointed in the .243  TTSX rounds over a season where I saw 4-5 deer killed with them.  I want a consistent pass-through, ideally.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I guess no love for the Ruger American?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have no experience with that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no love for the one I bought. Although some folks have had good luck, that one is a piece of crap (.243 not 6.5G, though)
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have no love for the one I bought. Although some folks have had good luck, that one is a piece of crap (.243 not 6.5G, though)
View Quote
I have a 30-06 and it has been excellent.

What was the problem with yours?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shoots minute-of-pie plate.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow.  Mine has been a tack driver.  Have had it for 5 years and after first sighting it in hadn't had to make an adjustment to it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Consider 6.5x55 Swede. The factory ammo Is down loaded for military surplus which makes it light recoil for young shooters but it in a modern Rifle it can be uploaded to something closer to 6.5 creedmore as they get older.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For that use, flip a coin.

If long-range shooting is ever intended for the future, I'd go for the 6.5.
View Quote
I would figure OP wants a relatively light hunting rifle which won’t wind up being a super start for a long range gun.

I’m not sure if 6.5 Creedmoor has won Long Range Nationals at Perry, but 243 has.

OP, 243 is the ideal caliber for your quest. It can also handle hunting tasks for varmints as well. Just change Bullet weights.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I honestly don't think you can go wrong for what you're asking about. 243, 6.5G, 6.5C, any will kill animals

Personally I think you should consider 6.5G. I took my first deer with one a couple weeks ago. 50 yard shot... He didn't make it 20 feet from where I shot him.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Got-my-first-deer/23-693372/

243 has worked forever.

6.5C is a newer offering but obviously plenty capable.

As someone else said... Pick one.

Personally I've heard good things about the Ruger American rifles... Certainly minute of deer guns.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Huh; teen I hunt with has one in 243. Shoots very well. He took 2 deer at 200 yards last season with it. I'm trying to remember reading about anyone else having issues. Can't think of one. I'd get in contact with Ruger; they need that one back
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow.  Mine has been a tack driver.  Have had it for 5 years and after first sighting it in hadn't had to make an adjustment to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently I got the only bad one in existence or something...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Apparently I got the only bad one in existence or something...
View Quote
For sure.. I'd send it back to Ruger.

I have two .308 Ruger Americans. One standard and one compact (wife's rifle) and they both drive tacks. I've never shot them for real groups cause they are strictly hunting rifles, but I've shot some 3 round groups when sighting in and had all three touching at 100 which is more than good for out sub 200 yard hunting shots.

Have two buddies with them and they both shoot lights out as well.

They are, IMO, the best deal in a basic no frills rifle.

And to the OP, I'd buy one in a 6.5G today and wouldn't think twice about it based on my experiences with the other calibers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For sure.. I'd send it back to Ruger.

I have two .308 Ruger Americans. One standard and one compact (wife's rifle) and they both drive tacks. I've never shot them for real groups cause they are strictly hunting rifles, but I've shot some 3 round groups when sighting in and had all three touching at 100 which is more than good for out sub 200 yard hunting shots.

Have two buddies with them and they both shoot lights out as well.

They are, IMO, the best deal in a basic no frills rifle.

And to the OP, I'd buy one in a 6.5G today and wouldn't think twice about it based on my experiences with the other calibers.
View Quote
Thanks,

Excellent to know and I believe that is the direction I will go.

All the Best
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top