Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2017 7:22:17 PM EDT
Anyone use them?  Experiences?  Recommendations?

A couple of concerns I have.  Cell service in our area is spoty at best.  No clue how good AT&T or verizon is there, my phone utilizes multiple company towers(walmart brand).  Battery life, do they seem to eat batteries faster than other cameras?

How exactly does it work?  Do you actually need to have a plan with whatever cell service the camera is or just a prepaid data card(which would be a lot cheaper I am assuming)?

The two areas I want to hang cameras at are 2.5 and 4 hours away, a bit hard to get out there just to check pictures and I'd like to avoid going out there if at all possible unless I am actually sitting for a hunt.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish I could use one.  No cell service where the elk live.

Come to think of it, I’m ok with that.

I bet they eat batteries much faster than a regular cam.  
You would need to figure out which carrier has the coverage you need to start.  Boots on the ground will be better than their coverage maps.
  Since I offered you nothing, I’ll give you a free pic.  No, I never got him.

Attachment Attached File

He wrecked my cheap game cam too, rubbing on the tree it was strapped to.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few SpyPoint 3G Live cameras. They are good for the most part. The delay from sensing motion to taking a picture is a little slow.

Forget using 8 - AA batteries... Lasts maybe a day or two. I picked up a couple 30AH batteries to power them. They last over a month on a charge. I have set up a solar charger/maintainer for a RV to one of them, and I have not had to deal with charging it since (6 months or so).

All in all, a good product, and I would buy the new 4g version when one of the cameras fails. They have been going strong for about two years now.

I use a pay as you go plan with a company that they use and lease time off of Verizon towers. I do not remember the name. But a $100 card has lasted me all year for each camera so far.

Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 3-Spypoint 4G and 2-Spartan GoCams in use right now.  As of now, the Spartan is the best between the 2 right  now.  

We have had the spypoint for a few years on the Verizon Network.  We had issues in small valleys with getting signal.  The picture quality is ok.  We are using 12v external batteries with them as well.

I found the Spartan GoCams last year.  These I have on the US Cellular network. (the also are on Verizon, Spring, and AT&T).  I have had zero connection issues in low lying areas.  Picture quality is good.  Pictures are almost instantly available to view via email, text, or only website.  Big thing with the Spartan is battery life.  If you're going to just use AA batteries, you'll be switching out every couple weeks depending on how many pics they're taking.  So an external 6V battery is a must IMO.  I bought the biggest 6V i could find and made up an external battery.  If you're going this route, you need to use rechargeable AA in the camera.  If you don't, the cam will drain the AA first and not the external.  There's a video on youtube explaining this and seems to hold true so far for me.

Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#4]
A buddy of mine let me try his Covert wireless cam. It worked okay. I think he pays $7 a month for the att SIM card and service.  Photos were a delay by about five minutes but they did come over. I had to be careful where I put them to make sure I could get a signal.   Also not every photo came over but it was still not n the local SD card.  I didn't buy one, but instead bought 8 cover entry cams to cover all my deer stands.
I live 2 hours from my hunting spot, but with all the cams I get a good idea where the game is.  The Coverts have great battery life and are easy to use.

I have had Moultrie cams that stopped working after four months. Crap.  

Wildgame cams work nice but if you don't format the SD card after each use I'll get no pics the next time which sucks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a few SpyPoint 3G Live cameras. They are good for the most part. The delay from sensing motion to taking a picture is a little slow.

Forget using 8 - AA batteries... Lasts maybe a day or two. I picked up a couple 30AH batteries to power them. They last over a month on a charge. I have set up a solar charger/maintainer for a RV to one of them, and I have not had to deal with charging it since (6 months or so).

All in all, a good product, and I would buy the new 4g version when one of the cameras fails. They have been going strong for about two years now.

I use a pay as you go plan with a company that they use and lease time off of Verizon towers. I do not remember the name. But a $100 card has lasted me all year for each camera so far.

https://i.imgur.com/uS8pN0B.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZvDhoH0.jpg
View Quote
I just sent back a Spypoint.  I did not like the time delay from photo to time received.  I want minutes, not hours.  Using the camera as a intruder alert where there is no internet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with the Snyper Commander 3g.

It's cheap and got good reviews.  Setup was a nightmare though.  Can't get it to send images to my phone.  I get a text that looks like it should have a file attatched but no image.  Sends them to the Snyper camera App fine though so I just use that.

So far so good except I hung the damn thing too high to avoid the camera triggering from every little bit of breeze.  

Images usually arrive to my phone inside of 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
@ScubaTexas

Just an update.  So far so good with mine but I still cannot get it to send images directly to my phone.  I have to download the Snyper Hunting app and view them through there.  It's easy enough though, all you do is download the app and then put the SIM cards phone number into the app and it will link it to your camera.  Also gives you a couple nice graphs that show activity levels on average over a 24hr timeline as well as over the last month so you can see what times of day are most active and trends in activity over time.  I've only had it up <1mo though so we shall see how it holds up.

Covert seems to be the go-to for a lot of guys though but you're talking almost twice the money.

Also make sure you know your cell coverage for the area.  I lucked out.  I knew ATT got some service there but not great.  Fortunately I get 2 more bars with the camera than my phone gets from the ATT tower and 3 bars is apparently enough to religiously send pictures.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Me and my buddies have been using the Snyper cameras for a while now and had really good luck.

The company owner is good people and I’ve had good luck with their customer service.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Me and my buddies have been using the Snyper cameras for a while now and had really good luck.

The company owner is good people and I’ve had good luck with their customer service.
View Quote
Shot them a message on facebook at like 10pm Saturday night with a question about the antenna.  At around 12:30am I had an answer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top