Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2017 1:54:40 PM EDT
Never tried it but the guy I'm going hunting with on his land requires that it be used at a minimum on your boots when you walk in.

Anyone have any success with this stuff?  If so should I stick with just putting it on my boots or apply it to the area as well?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I used it 1 season, didn't seem to make any difference at all.  I never saw a deer sniff the tree where I applied it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Gave ever calm a try many years ago and I cannot say it did anything.

About a dozen or so years ago I put out a doe decoy with some VS-1 on it and left it out over night. When I came back the next morning it was down for the count.

I have completely given up on all scents now. Since 08 I have been using a scent elimination spray that came from an Outfitter in Ohio. Baking soda, peroxide and water. My hunting clothes get washed in baking soda and bagged. My street clothes get the same treatment as does my towel but separate from the hunting clothes.

The shower consists of a solution of baking soda and after I am towel dried I spray on the scent elimination spray, my entire body gets coated in it. I brush the teeth with baking soda and gargle with the scent elimination spray. I never wear my hunting clothes on the quad or in the truck, they remain bagged until I get about one hundred yards from my stand. Then it is strip time and spray down again time. Nothing like being naked in the woods on a 20 degree morning and then spraying yourself down. When this is done I pull out the hunting clothes and put them on and walk slowly to my stand trying to avoid sweating.  I continue to spray down throughout the day as well. I swear it almost makes you invisible to the deer, it is as if they think your scent is older then it is, or that you are farther away then you really are.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:00:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The best scent attractant I have used is any and all nitrogenous waste(any piss from a human), or poop outside your stand (I have seen deer eat it like a dog many times.).  

Seriously deer are attracted to a curiosity scent they don't know.  Coon piss on your boots for a cover scent makes the hunter feel like he is covering your tracks but deer constantly smell it.

Doe in heat urine can work but not always.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

About a dozen or so years ago I put out a doe decoy with some VS-1 on it and left it out over night. When I came back the next morning it was down for the count.

I have completely given up on all scents now. Since 08 I have been using a scent elimination spray that came from an Outfitter in Ohio. Baking soda, peroxide and water. My hunting clothes get washed in baking soda and bagged. My street clothes get the same treatment as does my towel but separate from the hunting clothes.

The shower consists of a solution of baking soda and after I am towel dried I spray on the scent elimination spray, my entire body gets coated in it. I brush the teeth with baking soda and gargle with the scent elimination spray. I never wear my hunting clothes on the quad or in the truck, they remain bagged until I get about one hundred yards from my stand. Then it is strip time and spray down again time. Nothing like being naked in the woods on a 20 degree morning and then spraying yourself down. When this is done I pull out the hunting clothes and put them on and walk slowly to my stand trying to avoid sweating.  I continue to spray down throughout the day as well. I swear it almost makes you invisible to the deer, it is as if they think your scent is older then it is, or that you are farther away then you really are.
View Quote
I agree completely and do pretty much the same.  Any clothes I'm going to wear during a trip get washed in washing soda and go straight into a plastic bag.  I make sure to shower with scent-free body wash.  There are lots of homemade scent killer spray recipes that are basically the same - baking soda, peroxide, and a little scent free soap.  Everything gets sprayed down before I head out, and I usually wear rubber boots.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Scent elimination spray works to an extent. It doesn't truely eliminate your smell, just minimizes it. Never had any difference in luck with ever calm. I use dead down wind laundry detergent to wash my clothes in, air dry them outside and then bag them. I shower the morning of or the night before with dead down wind body soap and use whatever scent killer spray is on sale. I put doe piss on the bottom of my boots and sometime do a scent drag too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
1.  Be down wind of the deer.
2.  Spray down with half distilled water, half hydrogen peroxide, and toss in some baking soda
3.  ???
4.  Profit

Cover scents don't work IMO.  We can't even really comprehend how sensitive a deer's nose is....many times better than a blood hound.  They will smell the cover scent, and you behind it without issue.

Minimizing your scent is the only thing  you can really do that will actually work.  Anything beyond that is a waste of money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I used it last year on a doe decoy and my boots.  I honestly don't know if it made a difference or not, but I'll probably try it again this year.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thats just ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thats just ridiculous.
View Quote
I have tried it can't say if it works or not.  Tried the scent away, dead down wind etc etc and they may work but I have had just as much luck without anything.  I really believe if the wind isn't in your favor they are going to smell you.  Sometimes it seems like it doesn't bother them anyhow, but most large bucks are smart enough to stay away.  One thing I will swear by is doe in heat buck bombs.  I have brought in a lot of bucks over the last few years with it.  Obviously it works best  during the rut.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
No idea if these work, but they've been marketing them hard

Personally I don't think there is anything better than being in an area with way too many record class deer who are deaf, dumb and blind.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd rather shower in fox piss...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top