Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2017 12:23:43 PM EDT
I plan to dehydrate my own deer this season and I'm looking for some advice if you all will. I already do all my own processing but am wanting some suggestions for a good all-ion-one jerky making kit so I'll have everything I'd need.

Many thanks in advance.

David
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of 'kit' do you think you need?

We get the meat reallly cold in the freezer, but not frozen solid, and slice it with a good sharp knife, marinade in the refrigerator, and dry out by hanging in the oven and running it with the door cracked as low as the oven will go.

No kit needed...IMO
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
That's just the thing, I have no clue whether or not I need one. :) Apparently I don't. Thanks for the insight! Seems pretty simple and definitely cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]
It's definitely a fun time, not to mention delicious.

If you're not a 'knife guy', check out something like a Victorinox chef's knife or slicing knife.  They come really sharp out of the package, and will make your life a lot easier trying to slice thin.

Do a couple small batches at first, so you can work out the kinks....you don't want to do the whole deer and figure out you don't like it or did something wrong.  Been there..done that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd skip slicing it with a knife and get a meat slicer. Slice the meat to about 1/4" thick. Add any dehydrator and that's all you need. 

I marinate in 1 to 1 soy sauce and hickory liquid smoke. I add whatever seasoning I want after putting it on the dehydrator racks. My current favorite is Sriracha. Sweet onion flakes, cayenne pepper and black pepper are popular.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I started making Jerky in High School many many years ago.  My mom had a nice meat slicer and a large dehydrator so all my friends would bring over their deer, elk, or antelope.  

I used to use Kosher salt, Coarse black pepper, liquid smoke, and sometimes would add Teriyaki or even Liquid Cayenne pepper.  

My friends mom would use Soy sauce, brown sugar and liquid smoke.   Her Jerky was pretty tasty as well.  

My mom bought me a Nesco Jerky shooter thing.  You're supposed to grind up the meat and all that nonsense but I prefer the slicing method.  The grinding method makes the jerky softer and easier to chew and when it's easier to chew it makes the jerky disappear quicker.  And the last thing I need is any help making jerky disappear.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:07:23 AM EDT
[#6]
We uses a Cabellas ten tray dehydrator and the Mountain House seasoning garlic and cracked pepper.  We add jalapeño powder and red pepper flakes.  We like it spicy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife marinated her moose than hung it outside the house.
For 7-10 days. Will get a firm count when she gets home.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done it in several methods including salmon racks in Alaska, outdoor smokehouses with alder, and an oven.  For the last several years I've used a Nesco American Harvest dehydrator.  I use it A LOT for meat, fish, and fruits/veggies, and so does my BIL after I talked him into one.  Good stuff.  I think you can get them for around $75 for four tray setup, then add a two pack.  I don't use the other accessories.  I have found that 6 trays and about 5 pounds sliced pencil width at a time for 10 hours or so, give or take, works well.

Of course, if you're looking to process an elk, moose, or a bunch of salmon, racks over alder or a smokehouse are handy.  On the cheap, can also get some AC/furnace filters and bungee them to a box fan, though I've never tried that and can't speak to its effectiveness.   I'm very fond of my Nesco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top