Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2017 6:08:23 PM EDT
Woot!  Wife's coworker married a guy that has land.  She asked even though I told her to not bother.  Paid off.  He needed some electrical work done on his rental so I helped him out.

Was supposed to help him manage his land over summer but it landed on the weekend after my wifes surgery.  I bowed out as I didn't hold up my end of the deal but he just got back to me and told me to stop being a bitch and take him up on the offer.

Only rule is any buck you shoot you have to pay to mount so if it's a trophy for you feel free to tag it.

Not going to get greedy but won't be holding out for a monster as I only have three days to hunt.  All his friends get priority for hunting the rut so this will likely be my only shot this year.

I haven't been this fired up in a while
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#1]
is it this weekend? If it is I hope you've got rain gear.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:33:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Negative, last weekend.  It was alright but didn't live up to my expectations.  Beautiful country but the hunting just wasn't my thing.  I normally hunt 40 acres of private connected to about 7,000 acres of public(but very little pressure).  Every year starts off by doing some pretty heavy scouting around there as well as various other public areas in the state.

Find a few spots I like and get some trees picked for a stand, maybe hang a camera here or there.  Get close to the weekend and check the weather, check the wind direction, try and figure out what the deer might be up to and make a call.

Last weekends hunt was totally different.  Get up there and the owner told me what stand I was going to hunt, how to get to it, and what times we would be hunting.  I didn't realize how much all the scouting and planning meant to my hunt.  This time it felt like I was just along for the ride(which, in a sense, I was).

I'd definitely go again but I prefer getting out in the big areas and finding the deer, would not be a big fan of sitting on the same 40 acres every hunt, every year.

What did chap my ass a little bit was the last night of the hunt.  There was a light drizzle as soon as we got out.  About 10 minutes later I had a 4 pointer walk out underneath my stand.  Sweet, early deer movement.  Rain picked up a little bit but still nothing I would consider ending a hunt over.  Well five minutes later I get a text "Lets call it, I'm heading in."

Tried like hell to get a text back to him asking if it's alright if I sit it out as I doubt the rain is going to last.  Wouldn't send... get a second text a few minutes later "Meet at the field."

Fuck...  Well according to him it was raining to hard to track a deer in  Soon as we got back to camp it got very light.  He shrugged it off "oh well."

Picked up a bit and he claimed he made the right call then.  But then, with 30 minutes of shooting light it completely stopped, clouds broke....  His land his rules so I didn't make a stink but I wouldn't put another 600 miles on my truck to hunt out there if the forecast as anything but 0% chance of rain all weekend.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It sucks when you have to follow somebodies rules like that.  Almost makes it not worth while.  

On another note, I hunt the southwest corner of Jackson county, which borders Trempeleau county, which borders Buffalo.  Good land and good genes.  The company I work for owns about 10,000 continuous acres and manages the land.  Only 4.5yr old+ bucks are allowed, and they know almost every buck that lives on the property.  In the last 5 years, they've taken 3 200"+ bucks (gross), so it's working.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Buffalo county= Take all the bad parts of deer hunting and put them all into one tiny little county in WI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top