Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2017 4:33:52 PM EDT
There's no real point to the thread other than to share a few of my cam pics and blabber about how much I'm looking forward to this season.

I've just got cameras up at two locations, here's a few of the bucks I'm looking at. Nothing as spectacular as some of you guys are used to seeing, but they're not bad for my little neck of the woods. Bow season starts 10/14 here, and it can't come fast enough!

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be excited too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If I through a net over twenty square miles in my area I would not get the many bucks in it, let alone anything with racks like that.

Enjoy and good luck!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would be excited too.
View Quote
lol took the words right out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would be excited too.
Yep.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, by far this year has the most potential I've seen in a loooong time. I usually have a bachelor group around but I've only ever seen one, maybe two (what I consider) quality bucks among them. The acorns are dropping here and they've already changed their pattern, and seem to be starting to split up, but knowing they're out there will make those cold days in the blind a little more worth it!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm really psyched too.  Have to get through salmon season first tho.  It's really amazing to me how genetically similar all those bucks are.  I find that areas tend to produce either "high and tight" or basket racks or flat and wide or more spread out racks.  I hunt in different (opposite) sides of my state and the racks are very different. I'm still waiting for that 180 class flat wide rack to walk by me as they are my favorite "style" of rack.

We even notice a palmation or flattened section of the antlers on deer from the woods close to Rochester NY and that trait has been there for 25 plus years...
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Going this year after laying off for 15 years. 

Damn! you guys have nice deer down there 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Going this year after laying off for 15 years. 

Damn! you guys have nice deer down there 
View Quote
Thanks, hope you have a great season!

Regarding the genetics of the deer around here, I noticed that similarity among bucks several years ago. There's not a whole lot of variation in my particular area, it seems most all the bucks have taller racks, and you're hard pressed to find a 3 year old that's not an 8 pointer. I've hunted here over 30 years and only seen a hand full of deer that had more than 8 points. I've got one this year that would be a 10 if not for a broken brow tine, so I was glad to see that. Seems like I've read that the standard 8 is a dominant trait, and from the looks of things around here I sure believe it. But it's strange that if you go just a little beyond my little area that's a few square miles, you start running into a variety of rack sizes and types.

I've pulled my memory cards yesterday and a few of the bucks I've been watching have managed to break their main beams. That kind of sucks but it's that's how it goes I reckon. Over the past 3 years now I'd say there've been several bucks we've seen that had broken racks earlier in the season. Maybe they're missing something in their diets or something? I'm gonna have to hit Google to check on that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top