Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2017 11:00:42 PM EDT
Serious question here. I'm in my early 30s and want to try hunting deer. Problem is I don't have the a clue about how to even begin. I grew up in a family that doesn't hunt and don't have any friends that hunt either. I've been shooting guns (pistol, rifle, shotguns) at paper targets and clays since my 20s but want to give deer hunting a try. Where do I start without having friends or family to help?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Highly dependant on where you are

The most likely places to hunt near you are going to be blm land and/or state forests DEPENDING ON YOUR STATES RULES

Then, what game is available there.... Check which game is allowed to be hunted in that area.

Some places require a hunting license (applications often available at Walmart) and other places don't.

Also, depending on the state... Don't even consider hunting within a mile of a building of any kind (maybe more depending on your state)

Lastly, start small lol... Varmints are easy to hunt and don't need to be quartered like a deer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I would check out you state "game and parks commission" website as if they are like Nebraska they have the guidelines and tips for how to hunt certain species and where you can hunt them without having access to private land.  Then you can google and youtube "how to hunt deer".   Finding a place to hunt is the hardest part.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
First things first is do your research. Watch and read as much media as you can on hunting as well as cleaning and butchering your desired game. Some states will require a hunter's safety course for first time hunters. You will need to acquire a hunting license and again research, this time being for your local laws and locations and layout of public hunting lands. After that it is off to the woods to learn a lot of lessons the hard way and eventually (possibly years later) you will kill your first deer.

P.s. it always helpful to find a fellow hunter who will show you the ropes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Do what others have posted and do some research. The easiest is finding someone to mentor. Hit up some local hunting boards or see if there are local arfcomers that hunt. I was lucky enough to have my fiancées cousin take me out on my first deer hunt two years ago and killed my first deer that morning. He showed me how to dress and quarter which was a better hands on experience than youtube videos. I've been a city slicker all my life and didn't know the first thing about hunting until recently. Now I'm hooked and look forward to every fall. If you're determined, you'll make it happen.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#5]
MHarvey124

As others have stated, educate yourself as much as possible on hunting.  There is a plethora of info out there.  However, getting hooked up with someone is your best bet to learn to hunt.
If you can't find a friend or acquaintance to take you, get in touch with the AGF.  They have a program for new hunters - Beginners Hunt Club

I am a Hunter Ed instructor here in VA, and the VDGIF has a similar program.  Most states are seeing a decline in new hunters and are starting the programs to get new blood out in the field.

One point to make - If you do find a buddy to go hunt with, make sure he is safe and ethical in the field.  If you feel that the person isn't, don't continue to hunt with them.
Also, don't limit yourself to deer hunting.  Growing up in Arkansas, I hunted deer, turkey, squirrel, dove, quail and ducks - ALL are great to hunt and eat!  Each has a different method of hunting involved as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I was in the same position as you seven years ago.

I took a hunter's ed class, got my license, read all that I could, watched youtube videos, asked questions on online forums, but more importantly, I just went out there and did it.

It takes a certain amount of humility to walk up to a stranger in the field, and ask them how to dispatch a downed bird.

The thing about hunting is that a lot of the fun is in the planning and in the spending time outdoors (in shitty weather).  Actually bagging an animal is just a bonus.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Post in your hometown forum I'm in a similar spot. Got invited to a hog hunt and anticipate additional hunts. Might get on at the same lease at the beginning of the year. This place is awesome and you'll find someone to let you tag along

Since then I've also done some DIY hunts on State land. Not as productive and a lot more work but a bad day of hunting is better than a day of working. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top