Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 11:15:28 PM EDT
I am not a hunter. I have not been hunting since I was a kid. A friend of mine is using my Remington 700 LTR 308 rifle to go deer hunting in a couple of months. My friend is not a hunter and knows very little about rifles and nothing about scopes.

Looking for non tactical scope I can sight in and leave. Prefer 30mm tube with some type of BDC reticle. Basically something I can teach my friend to use in a hour or less. My friend will be hunting about 200 yards to 300 yards max.

I read another thread from last month with very similar needs. It seemed Vortex scopes was the most recommended in that thread. My price point is $500 or less.

I have found the following three ( all on sale for $500 or less ) -- opinions on the three for my needs are much welcomed.....

Nikon Monarch 7 2.5-10x50mm $500

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44  $400

Nikon Prostaff 7 4-16x42  $450

What is the major differences between the prostaff and the monarch? really didn't see a lot on the specs but maybe I missed something?

Are there other options I should look at?

Looked at Bushnell Elites, Weavers, and a couple of others. None of these had the 30mm tube that I saw in my price range.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What round is he shooting? I was at the gun show and picked up an Osprey scope which are only sold at gun shows and had a choice of caps. .223/5.57 and .308 and a few others. For the 3-12 x 35 it is cheap and has held zero after 500 rounds. For cheap the glass is clear and I haven't had any issues. And for my stock Rugar AR556 I get sub MOA for me at 100 yards. Which is good for me for how shaky my hands are even at full rest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top