Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2017 4:20:13 PM EDT
I have seen in the news about some EHD outbreaks in a few states.

I was out kayaking with the family yesterday and my son thought he saw was a log floating in the creek.  When we got closer, we saw it was a deer.  We pulled it to the bank and found out it was a pretty decent 11 pointer.   It must have only died within the last 24 hours as it still looked pristine and no smell.  It was pretty stiff though.   There were no wounds or trauma that I could see, so I am assuming it died due to EHD.  There was some blood coming out of it's mouth.

It's legs were so stiff,  my son pushed it's legs down into the creek bottom, and it stood upright.   He left it like that to creep out the next group of kayakers down the river.  

Anyone else finding dead deer in or around water?

EHD outbreak

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I rost.

No, never seen that here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Your son should have a play date with the "dead squeal" girl!
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Haha wtf
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
EHD going pretty hot here in SE Tn,several dead deer found on our 4000 acre less thus far
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Luckily we have not had to deal with it this year, but last year sucked for the deer.  We lost quite a few.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Does EHD impact mule deer?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Hearing of a few guys finding some dead dear near water sources in central SD.  We'll likely get more reports once corn harvest starts, as well as more guys getting out bow hunting and checking their hunting areas for sign.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#9]
So, as many nasty viruses are... This is also transmitted by insects.  Where the fuck is the DDT!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, as many nasty viruses are... This is also transmitted by insects.  Where the fuck is the DDT!!!
View Quote
EHG gets some deer in some areas but the DDT was getting birds every where it was used.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

EHG gets some deer in some areas but the DDT was getting birds every where it was used.
View Quote
Actually, No...

"Silent Spring" was a work of fiction... which, unfortunately, was latched onto like Gospel by the Enviro-whackos, who successfully leaned on Congress to eliminate its use...

In return, we get consolation prizes of Zika, West Nile, and a host of other diseases.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Jefferson County, OH here. I've found 3 dead ones within a 1/4 mile of my house,  and have heard of at least 12 more within about a 5 mIle  range of my place. There's a creek that runs thru a pretty steep valley along one of the roads near my house, and there's been a pretty constant smell of death and decay for several weeks in that area
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:17:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Southern deer in the US are less susceptible to EHD and blue tongue.  That dies not mean they will not get it, when they do the survival rate is higher.  I have treated fewer Texas genetic deer than half northern deer in my career for EHD.  I am not a Vet but I raise deer for a job.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
EHD is going full bore here in Eastern Kentucky. It's going to be a hard hunt this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top