Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 8:42:17 PM EDT
Been behind this year, busy with a lot of other things. Haven't even managed to get the trail cams put out or anything. I hunt every year and usually do pretty good. We eat a lot of venison in this household so nothing goes to waste either. I hunt on my families 70 acres here in some of the best whitetail country in the world and usually do pretty good.

I will have to see if I can find some time and post up a bunch of pics on here. I am usually in the other parts of this forum but am going to start frequenting this one.

SO HELLO EVERYONE! a couple more months and it gets serious around here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't been to my Wisconsin property yet.  Still too many skeeters this time of year.  

I usually hang cameras around 9/1 and the fun begins.  Cheers to a successful '17!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, this year I have just lacked motivation for a lot of the things I love. Been busy with other things I guess. Need to slow it down and get out a lot more.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Bow season starts in less than a month here. I need to get my stuff together and start scouting since I'll be using the struggle stick.

I did get my tags for MO. My Dad has been seeing a nice booner that he thinks is around 170-180.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I am getting excited. I've been so busy I might not be able to pull off any bow hunting this year. Last year I hunted 2 weekends of rifle season and got a deer both weekends. I'd like to do that again.

I'm seriously considering taking an AR deer hunting this year.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am getting excited. I've been so busy I might not be able to pull off any bow hunting this year. Last year I hunted 2 weekends of rifle season and got a deer both weekends. I'd like to do that again.

I'm seriously considering taking an AR deer hunting this year.
View Quote
I wish I could! They just past straight wall cartridge so there's that but would like to be able to use high power or an AR. Maybe someday.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Lol. I am kinda. There were 12 (twelve!) bucks in my sister in laws yard 5 afternoons of 7 about 2 weeks ago. Including 4 or 5 shooters in my estimation.

This is a pic through my binos with my cell. But I have some better ones.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't wait. We bought a new place on 65 acres this year, so this will be the first time I've been able to hunt a place that was truly mine. The pic with one buck was taken about 100 yards from my house.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#9]
These are my two biggest MO deer on camera. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

He needs another year.

Attachment Attached File

And of course, a "big" eastern NC deer:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Seen a bunch of Doe, but only two bucks. I'm not 100% they weren't the same one.

Saw a nice big one that I thought had to be an elk a few weeks ago at night under NV while scouting. Maybe she'll come my way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I got lucky and filled my buck tag on opening day, so I'm looking at some public land to hunt the rut in early November.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw an 8 to 10 point yesterday afternoon. Couldn't count all of 'em, because he wasn't gonna stay still long enough for me to line 'em up.

But I'm gonna get him this season. He knows it too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Bow season starts this Saturday here in MN and the food plot is looking decent for the late plant I did this year. Just as you said OP, been too busy with other things this year. 

I am however out in the stand with my bow right now up here in Two Harbors MN hunting bear! I got lucky enough to get a tag over the counter this year along with a friend of mine. He tagged out last Saturday

so now it's my turn. I may miss bow opener for deer due to this but that's something I am willing to do. 

Good luck everyone and I look forward to seeing all the photos!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#14]

This is pretty much the only one we have that's 4.5+

We do have a few 3.5 year olds and a bunch of 1.5-2.5 8's running around...so hopefully a bunch make it till next season.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Tweaked a ligament pulling targets after our last 3D shoot - not sure how it's going to be by bow season, I'm just hoping I can get out by the time the rut kicks in - we'll see. Right now not much excitement here!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Bow season starts on the 30th in my county in Texas.  We only get 4 days to hunt doe here and only by bow, so hoping to get arrows in 2 doe that Saturday and Sunday.  The land I'm hunting is FULL of doe so it shouldn't be too hard.  

Then I can wait until it cools down to wait out the bucks during general season.  I've only seen one legal buck on my cameras in the 3 months so it will be tough.  Lots of really young bucks running around the property.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tweaked a ligament pulling targets after our last 3D shoot - not sure how it's going to be by bow season, I'm just hoping I can get out by the time the rut kicks in - we'll see. Right now not much excitement here!
View Quote
I've missed out on the last two seasons because of injuries, I'm hoping to make it out a few times this year. Still haven't bought my license though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Behavior has changed here the last week...
Bachelors are grouping up, 2.5 yrs mostly...  The big racks and 4.5 yr olds I saw in velvet weeks ago have gone to ground and become completely nocturnal.
Does are all over the place.
Finally got some time dialing in my archery setup.  That season is open here now, but I probably won't get out much for it, if at all, crazy times at work.
Might get the occasional morning hunt in before a workday if things settle a little in the next few weeks. Time will tell.

But I did get all dialed in with the inline today...  Had a replacement barrel come in last month from Traditions, original could never get close to zero'd... was tapped crooked for the scope mounts.
(Shouldn't have traded my old one before getting the new one)
With the windage maxed out left, it still hit 28" right at 100 yards.
Re-centered the scope, mounted on new barrel, bore-sighted, and took all of 1/2moa left, 1 moa up, and 5 shots to get lined up.
Does, a few of you are going in the freezer in 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bow season starts on Friday 9/15 out here, and the state legislature finally passed Sunday hunting.  I'll be making a weekend out of it, trying for the guy below.  Activity this year has been insane compared to the past 3-4 years, lots of buck traffic and entire herds of does, fawns, and juvenile bucks moving through together.  Maybe new construction has altered their habits - whatever the reason is, I plan to capitalize on their trails!

It has been 6 years since I've seen a buck like this on my camera, let alone caught multiple times during daylight hours.  Hopefully I can take him next weekend!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/166952/Buck09-2-17-299620.jpg
View Quote
Curious, are you hunting private or public land in CT?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm pretty excited to start shooting deer with a rifle
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm pretty excited to start shooting deer with a rifle
View Quote
In Iowa?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In Iowa?
View Quote
Yes 450 Bushmaster
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes 450 Bushmaster
View Quote
Got busy and forgot I even posted this. LOL oops!

Yes we can have straight wall now. I'm guessing even more in not so far future way I hear.

I made this post and sadly we sold our big chunk of land and sadly haven't found something as close as we want for a decent price yet. Not looking good for this year.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Shot a fat young doe last night about 45 minutes before end of shooting hours. Came right to my stand and I had a 10-15 yard shot, dropped in sight within 30 yards. I shoot for meat, more than happy with these. It's meat in the freezer and one more deer that won't get hit by a car.
Attachment Attached File

ETA-saw so many turkeys the first couple weeks of last year's bow season I had a turkey tag in my pocket too-planning to go out tomorrow to try and fill that one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Waiting on muzzyloader season here,may be a bad year,EHD has hit E Tn this year pretty hard they say but not as bad as 07
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top