Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2017 12:20:44 PM EDT
This rifle is something else. Thanks for the advice guys, digging the scope too.

Attachment Attached File

I've never had a hunting rifle like this and I'm not sure what to use.  The action and barrel are highly polished blued steel and the stock is a grade 4/5 walnut.  I'm thinking a gloss black leaupold VX-2 or something similar.  Would matte black look okay on something like this?  

I've enjoyed my Leupolds but currently use Vortex mostly.  Unfortunately Vortex doesn't have anything that looks old school classy.

Mainly for white tail and hogs, potential for a 300 plus yard shot. So 3-9, 2-10, 4-12 etc.

For reference. (From the interwebs, not mine.)

Gloss (Winchester stock photo)

Attachment Attached File

Matte

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
How it looks is a matter of opinion but my take is that as long as the scope and rings match eachother in either matte or gloss, it looks fine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How it looks is a matter of opinion but my take is that as long as the scope and rings match eachother in either matte or gloss, it looks fine.
View Quote
I agree it should look fine, maybe I'm just over thinking it with such a pretty rifle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Bushnell 4500 series scopes...very good scopes for around $400 or less.  Their older 4200 series scopes are great too.  I have 2 on my hunting rifles for past 4+ years and they have never given me any trouble.  Their optics is sharp and clear and are as good as scopes that cost twice as much.  I recently purchased a 3500 series compact scope on my compact rifle for $just over $200 and so far it looks good.  I think Bushnell scopes are very underrated in the market.  I mount all my hunting rifles with DNZ Low height one piece base/rings and it's a great combo.  I also like Nikon Monarch scopes but I don't like the way they look...looks kind of cheap in my eyes.  But Monarch series works good too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check out Bushnell 4500 series scopes...very good scopes for around $400 or less.  Their older 4200 series scopes are great too.  I have 2 on my hunting rifles for past 4+ years and they have never given me any trouble.  Their optics is sharp and clear and are as good as scopes that cost twice as much.  I recently purchased a 3500 series compact scope on my compact rifle for $just over $200 and so far it looks good.  I think Bushnell scopes are very underrated in the market.  I mount all my hunting rifles with DNZ Low height one piece base/rings and it's a great combo.  I also like Nikon Monarch scopes but I don't like the way they look...looks kind of cheap in my eyes.  But Monarch series works good too.
View Quote
Good to know, I've actually never owned a Bushnell.  I noticed the high gloss model Winchester used in their photo is no longer available, but no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Ordered a Leupold VX-3i off Amazon for 339, it has a 6" long tube which will help on the long action and only weighs 12 ounces.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ordered a Leupold VX-3i off Amazon for 339, it has a 6" long tube which will help on the long action and only weighs 12 ounces.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196304/Leupold-268654.JPG
View Quote
This was going to be my suggestion.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have that exact scope on my Winchester.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine too! 
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have that exact scope on my Winchester.
Quoted:
Mine too! 
Great minds and all that...  

What model Winchester do you have?  I'm mildly concerned about the 8.25 lb + weight of this thing with no scope which is why I like how light this Leupold is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the pre "i'" 3.5-10X  on 30-06 and 35 Whelen Savage 111's ; no problems.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have the pre "i'" 3.5-10X  on 30-06 and 35 Whelen Savage 111's ; no problems.
View Quote
Good to hear!

Updated in OP.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This rifle is something else. Thanks for the advice guys, digging the scope too.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196304/IMG-6065-271151.JPG
View Quote
That looks great; excellent choice.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Sure is purdy!
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys.  A bit disappointed in the finish though, I found some flaws in the sunlight over the weekend I'm not happy about.  In typical "me" fashion, I'm going to try my hand at refinishing before ordering a walnut from Boyd's.  I prefer not to send the rifle back because to be honest, I have zero faith in most workers to do anything right these days.  If they gave a damn it wouldn't be like this in the first place.  If you want it done right, you've got to do it yourself...

I'll bet there's a good looking piece of Walnut under all that shit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I've always thought a Super Grade, set in a McMillan dark mcwoody, with the swirl pattern ran horizontally, with a red decelerator pad would truly be the cat's meow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've always thought a Super Grade, set in a McMillan dark mcwoody, with the swirl pattern ran horizontally, with a red decelerator pad would truly be the cat's meow.
View Quote
 dear Penthouse...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top