[#1]

1st season slug gun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
G20 10mm 170gr. PMC JHP
17 steps

He was facing me and turned to run as I hit him high in the left shoulder, dropping him. Put a finishing shot in his back down into his chest. Recovered both bullets (perfect expansion), you can see both balled up under the skin in the second picture. The dark spot above the pistol (#1) and the light spot in front of the barrel (#2).

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
This heavy 10 point was bird-dogging a couple of maiden yearling does; one or both must have been hot. I wanted to put the Lehigh 115gr. CC Cu bullet into the chest cavity for the actual terminal performance on a flesh & bone target information but this buck stopped behind trees with only his head and neck exposed. The bullet had proven very accurate off the bench so I put the bullet drop on the scope & took the shot. The bullet expanded, fragmented as designed as it penetrated, then the core & most of the fragments exited. One of the long banana-peel-like copper fragments was found just inside of the 1.25" exit wound. No surprises on bullet accuracy/performance at 300BLK velocity but there were two even larger bucks slipping thru the trees just a little beyond and behind this buck. I was so focused on placing the shot, I did not even notice them until after this buck was on the ground. No regrets. Finding a hot doe is the quick ticket to success on the larger bucks where I hunt in MS. Most of the dozen or so larger bucks we shot in the December rut were actively trailing a hot doe. But a few were bagged while cold trailing hot does with their nose to the ground seemingly oblivious to anything but finding the hot doe to breed.

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I passed on this buck about 4 times through the season. But!!! On the last minutes of legal shooting time, on the last day of the season, he pissed me off. Ruger Super Blackhawk, 44 Mag.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I took this big doe at 125 yards with the muzzleloader.

Found the bullet in the off side hide.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:00:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Christmas Day. North Gadsden Co. Florida.

Jan. 3rd. Same location.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Christmas Day. North Gadsden Co. Florida.

Jan. 3rd. Same location.
View Quote

Dayum!  Never knew FL had deer like that outside of game ranches.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Got this one with smoke pole last year

Wife shot her biggest last year

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

308Win R25. Central SC.  PM me if you are in the AO and want to hunt federal land.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Been waiting 15 plus years on a good mature buck.... Finally took my first one with my bow on 10/28/17. I have let lots of little bucks walk over the years. It’s almost like it didn’t happen, he’s already at the taxidermist and in the freezer. Had pot roast last night.  Good luck guys!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I shot a four point buck. Lol. No pic thread in the big game forum going, so I'll highjack the deer thread with a goat.

2016 Wyoming. Scored about 79. I did a euro mount via the WhiteBones Creations YouTube channel. Everyone says how bad they are to eat, but it's been pretty good.

http://i63.tinypic.com/eja62u.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/ve7iip.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/vwzslv.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/2n7p83b.jpg
View Quote
Nice goat. Anyone that says pronghorn is nasty, doesn't know what they are talking about. As with anything it needs to be cared for properly, then it is my favorite red meat.

ETA: just noticed this was the 2016 thread. LOL
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been waiting 15 plus years on a good mature buck.... Finally took my first one with my bow on 10/28/17. I have let lots of little bucks walk over the years. It’s almost like it didn’t happen, he’s already at the taxidermist and in the freezer. Had pot roast last night.  Good luck guys!!!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/329425/B1B13874-671A-4AE0-B831-26408785DF1A-360350.JPG
View Quote
Nice deer. Great mass.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Been struggling with shoulder issues for the past couple of years (2 surgeries) and was finally able to start shooting my bow again a couple months ago.  I've been practicing as much as it would allow but was nervous about how it might go.  This guy came in yesterday afternoon I got him stopped in a small window I had at 35 yards.  Happy to say the shot was perfect, he went around 40 yards and fell, wedging himself between a downed log and a small tree.  Took a tractor to push the log out of the way and get him out of there but we got him.  Put a tape on him today and he's 143 5/8".  I've only been hunting again for the past five years, this is my third buck and biggest to date.

Link Posted: 11/15/2017 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Been struggling with shoulder issues for the past couple of years (2 surgeries) and was finally able to start shooting my bow again a couple months ago.  I've been practicing as much as it would allow but was nervous about how it might go.  This guy came in yesterday afternoon I got him stopped in a small window I had at 35 yards.  Happy to say the shot was perfect, he went around 40 yards and fell, wedging himself between a downed log and a small tree.  Took a tractor to push the log out of the way and get him out of there but we got him.  Put a tape on him today and he's 143 5/8".  I've only been hunting again for the past five years, this is my third buck and biggest to date.

https://i.imgur.com/ZEQUf6Xh.jpg
View Quote
That's a monster
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Opening day

Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Had a great hunt down in GA this year, took a few whitetails with a suppressed 6.5 Grendel

Hunting Video
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#19]
@Bruizer

Nice video!  Any details about the rifle, load, range?
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@Bruizer

Nice video!  Any details about the rifle, load, range?
View Quote
18" JSE barrel w/AAC Can
ranges varied from 92-134 yards
Load was handrolled 123gr SST's with AR-comp powder
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ZEQUf6Xh.jpg
View Quote
Well done, laddie.  Been there on the shoulder issues.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Indiana public land 8-point. He wouldn't stop and I hit him a little far back & center punched the liver. The slug laid him down, but he got back up and made it about 20 yards before piling up and never moving again. Blood everywhere. It was literally sprayed up on trees. Shooting the Remington Accubond 12ga sabot slugs out of a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter.. Slug was found in a perfect mushroom under the offside skin.

1.3 miles in.

Link Posted: 11/25/2017 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Got this guy 15min into opening morning of shotgun. Just got my pack clipped off to my stand after hauling it up.

Was going to pass on him because we saw some really brutes while driving around the previous day, but buck fever got the better of me.

120yds out 20ga accutip slug, H&R ultra slug hunter.  He walked off like nothing happened, and it was the longest hour of my life sitting there wondering if I hit him.

Sure enough he went to the other side of the tree line and trotted (watched him through the gaps) about 75 yards and dropped on the backside of a hill.

Cool little hook on the main beam

Link Posted: 12/1/2017 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Thick little main frame 8, took him this morning @ 7:05 AM with an Aero 6.5 Creedmoore about 135 yds.Hornady 147gr. Match ELD to the boilermaker,  DRT.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Opening day today, took the full 6 day season off from work. Done within 90 minutes. First antlered deer I've shot-no, he's not a monster but I'm a meat hunter and will take the first legal animal I see. Came right to me, sniffing the footprints of a group of does I missed 40 or so minutes before(people on the neighboring property had already shot at them, they came in at a dead run). Marlin 1895 .45-70(from the big Walmart clearance last summer), homemade 405 grain hardcast and 46 grains of IMR4064.

First day of the first season that rifles are legal for deer in Iowa. Pretty sure this is the deer I flushed from the property last week when I was pheasant hunting.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#29]
My Kentucky buck was harvested on a farm that has been in our family since 1904. The last person to live there was my grandfather who would have been 100 last week. At 149 5/8” it is the best buck I've taken. Getting him in the 100th anniversary of my Grandfather's birthday year was even better.

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my first deer ever today using my Del-ton AR-15 and 64gn. Speer gold dots. We were riding along a fence in between 2 fields and I saw him bedded down as we drove past. I jumped out the truck, walked quickly back to where I saw him, and when I got into position to fire he jumped up and started running. I shot him twice in the lungs and once in the back leg as he ran. He ran maybe 70 yards and hit the dirt. He started off about 15 yard away and I started shooting when he was about 20 yards away.

Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Interesting rack-does the one antler have a lot less curve to it, or is that just the angle of the photo? I like the look either way.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Got my first deer ever today using my Del-ton AR-15 and 64gn. Speer gold dots. We were riding along a fence in between 2 fields and I saw him bedded down as we drove past. I jumped out the truck, walked quickly back to where I saw him, and when I got into position to fire he jumped up and started running. I shot him twice in the lungs and once in the back leg as he ran. He ran maybe 70 yards and hit the dirt. He started off about 15 yard away and I started shooting when he was about 20 yards away. https://photos.app.goo.gl/V6ztPKP0Am6DQhS02

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TuRHAiXSdGUCM7kJ3
View Quote
Had to click pics as links, but the links do work. Not bad at all for a first deer! It'll be a good one to eat.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I’ve taken many deer in the past but this is the best one I have ever taken.   Most of the guys like this wear only coming out at night or too early to shot.

I got to my stand around 0400 so I could get settled in and let everything else settle down.   It was cold that morning like 18* or 19* when I got to my stand.   Got my heater going and laid my head down on my shooting bench, well you know what happened I went to sleep.   I don’t know what woke me but as I raised my head I looked out my left / East widow just as this guy came out right a 0700 from the woods about 65yds and he turned and ran east, away from my stand and then turned to the right and darted into the brush in my over grown field.   Well his gone I thought.

Well I went ahead and opened up the left side and the front windows of my stand.   Well I’ll take a chance and do few grunts.   I did about 6 or 8 grunts.   I figured he was gone.   Lo and behold he comes out of the brush at about 95yds away in front of me.   I let him get completely in the clear when I pull the trigger.   He jumped strait up, stretched his front legs out and took three hoops for about 30’ and took a nose dive into the  heavily frosted grass.   It was 0730 and 20* COLD when I took this guy

I sat there with my cross hairs on his ass, saying jump up jump up so I can shoot you again you sucker.   Noop he was done for.   Hit him right in the basket.

DPMS-Lr308 / AR10A-2 Carbine with PPU 308 150gr SP did its job.

I pulled the chip out of my camera to see how cold and what time it was.

I did a European mount out of his head and turned it into a gun rack.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top