Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Your Favorite Recipe (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:25:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#1]
Something I like to do with the heart

Fry up some bacon remove from pan and cut in about 1/2 inch pieces add sliced deer heart to the bacon grease fry till done add in onion and cabbage fry till tender season as you like adding some tabasco mix well then in the crock pot till dinner time

ETA pic

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By NBT:
Originally Posted By M4G37:
Bacon wrapped Backstrap Strip. Marinate backstraps for no more than an hour in 50/50 Dale's seasoning / Worcestershire sauce. Cut into 2 separate pieces, wrap in bacon slice and use toothpicks to secure bacon. Grill to medium well...awesome. http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/BlaZeJeep/Deerbackstrapsteaks.jpg"

THIS.... ever since I made straps that way... it's the only way I make them anymore... just too good. We use Dale's a lot...and as stated...be careful not to over marinade with this stuff...or your going to have a salt lick. Never thought about using it on the venison... I will be giving that one a shot...thanks.

The way I do em,

2 pounds venison backstrap (tenderloin), cut into 2 inch chunks
1 quart apple cider
1 1/2 pounds thick sliced heavy peppered bacon ( I get mine at Sam's club)
2 (12 ounce) bottles barbecue sauce, your choice

Directions
Place chunks of venison into a shallow baking dish, and pour enough apple cider in to cover them. Cover, and refrigerate for 6 - 12 hours. Remove, and pat dry. Discard apple cider, and return venison to the dish. Pour barbecue sauce over the chunks, cover, and refrigerate for 6 -12 more hours.
(Sometimes I will mix the Cider and BBQ 50/50 for the second marinade... sometimes I will throw a shot of Jack Daniels in there too)
Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Charcoal is best, but if you must, use gas. ( If gas is your only option, a dash of liquid smoke to the marinade kicks it a bit) Remove meat from the refrigerator, and let stand for 30 minutes, or until no longer chilled. Wrap each chunk of venison in a slice of bacon, and secure with toothpicks.
Brush the grill grate with olive oil when hot, and place venison pieces on the grill so they are not touching each other. The bacon will kick up some flames, so be ready. ( I have a squirt bottle with some apple cider to mist/knock down the flames)
Grill, turning occasionally, until the bacon becomes slightly burnt, 15 to 20 minutes. The slower, the better. Dig in, and prepare to want more!
As with venison...try not to overcook...I consider them perfect if there is a dime sized pinkish center of the backstrap.

Enjoy

http://images.media-allrecipes.com//site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/big/94341.jpg

Just used this on one of my backstraps... EXCELLENT. Will most definitely be filing this recipe away for later use. Thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 11/29/2011 1:07:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: supremeweasel67] [#3]
My annual trip to Deer Camp with family members I don't get to see often is over. Another great year, with 4 generations in camp again.

I must admit that we do eat pretty well in camp. This year wasn't anything to fancy, but no one went hungry.

We had Venison stroganoff, Squash Caserole, Homestyle Seasoned green beans and potatoes ( I cheated they were the Glory Brand in a can), various kinds of Chili, Big pot of Cowboy Beans, Polish Sausage With Kraut, and friend Potatoes. I even Made the drive for Pizza for Monday Night Football.

Not Venison, but I think you will enjoy.

Anyway, a friend/camp nieghbor, brought over a plate of appetizers Sat. Night (Opening Day).

He mentioned on Friday evening that he was going to bring over some Duck Appetizers.

Unfortunately for him, we were having our "family meeting" at another location and wouldn't be back until later on. No Biggee. He would bring them on Sat. No one said anything until after he left. Then the subject turned to the "Duck Appetizers". Almost everyone said the same thing. They did not like Duck. Had it cooked multiple ways and did not care for it.

So Sat. night after getting out of stands, he came over. (Our cabins are almost across the "street/road/trail" from each other.) We are the only two around. So he comes in with a big plate of "appetizers" and places them on table. No one made a move for them as we were talking.

So I took a chance, and took one. WOW!!!!!! I immediately grabbed another. So some other family members started trying them and everyone of them said the same thing. They were GOOD!.

I don't have it written down, but going from memory.

Marinade the Duck Breasts in Carribean Jerk for 24-48 hours (depending on desired kick)

Cut Duck Breast into stips 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches wide.

Take a jalapeno pepper (can de-seed if don't like the extra kick).

––-Can also stuff pepper with cream cheese.

Roll jalapeno up in the Duck breast strip, then roll that up in a strip of Bacon. (you know it has to be good if it has Bacon)

Place toothpick through it and place on grill (not direct heat, but not offset to much either). You will just have to "trial and error" it.

WATCH THEM CAREFULLY. flipping/turning frequently so as not to burn.

Needless to say, everyone's opinion of Duck changed after that. Those things were GONE in no time.

I may have to actively take up Duck Hunting, just so I can have a freezer full to make those things!.

Bacon wrapped Backstrap Strip. Marinate backstraps for no more than an hour in 50/50 Dale's seasoning/Worchestershire sauce. Cut into 2 separate pieces, wrap in bacon slice and use toothpicks to secure bacon. Grill to medium well...awesome. http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/BlaZeJeep/Deerbackstrapsteaks.jpg"

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 3:26:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stlrain0341] [#4]
Tenderloin, cut into about 1.25-1.5" filets, and cooked to medium rare using the Alton Brown method is perfection.  The best steak I've ever made, and I'm a pretty decent cook.  Unbelievably juicy, with fantastic flavor.  No need to marinate or anything else.

Crappy picture, but you get the idea.  One tenderloin serves about two people.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought I would share one of our favorite chili recipes. You can substitute beef for the deer if you like but we prefer it with ground deer and medium deer breakfast sausage.

1 lb Ground Deer
1 lb Medium Deer Breakfast Sausage
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup Wild Turkey 101 whiskey
1/2 cup chopped red peppers
2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp finally chopped jalapeños
1 (29 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
2 (16oz) cans chili beans undrained
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Drop in the onions and minced garlic until the onions are soft and clear. Add Wild Turkey 101, tomatoes, sauce, beans, and increase heat until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in chili powder, jalapeños, red peppers, and cumin. In a skillet brown the deer and medium breakfast sausage, strain grease, and add to the pot. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

This recipe makes a thick hardy chili. I can't stand the soupy stuff Hope you guys enjoy the recipe!
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#6]
So tonight was Taco night.

I admit that Tacos are not my favorite, but will eat if have too.

Anyway,

Sat down at table and fixed Taco.

Took one bite and it was Blah (This is what happens when you have young ones, have to lay off spices)

Remedy? Just grab some chili powder, or some green chili sauce, or hot salsa? NOPE!

I made chicken wings the other night, and the wife bought a bottle of Wing Sauce.

So I grab the Bottle of Buffalo Wing Sauce and spread some on the taco and ––––––––––

I like spice but it was not . It had actual wonderous flavor. So I give you Buffalo Deer Tacos.

Just fix with your normal Taco fixings, and then run a line of Buffalo Wing Sauce the length of the Taco.

( I made mine with Shell, meat, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, and sour cream, and Buffalo sauce on top.)

There are many different brands out there, but the one the wife came home with (I am sending her back to get 4-5 bottles, so we always have some in the house) is called Moore's Buffalo Wing Sauce.

It is made (are you ready for this??????) in Birmingham, Al.

Can't wait to bring to Camp this year and surprise everyone with Buffalo Deer Tacos.

Could it get any better? Yep....................................

Was looking on Craigslist, and saw a Presto Deep Fryer (only used at deer camp) for $5 and a Rival Deep Fryer(Like new) for $25.

I go and look at them, get both for $20.

So now will have Both of them, and the Fry Daddy to make Yum Yums with.

Lots of chicken Wings, fries, fried mushrooms and hush puppies at one time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 2:22:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By supremeweasel67:
So tonight was Taco night.
I admit that Tacos are not my favorite, but will eat if have too.

Anyway,
Sat down at table and fixed Taco.
Took one bite and it was Blah (This is what happens when you have young ones, have to lay off spices)

Remedy? Just grab some chili powder, or some green chili sauce, or hot salsa? NOPE!

I made chicken wings the other night, and the wife bought a bottle of Wing Sauce.

So I grab the Bottle of Buffalo Wing Sauce and spread some on the taco and ––––––––––

I like spice but it was not . It had actual wonderous flavor. So I give you Buffalo Deer Tacos.

Just fix with your normal Taco fixings, and then run a line of Buffalo Wing Sauce the length of the Taco.
( I made mine with Shell, meat, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, and sour cream, and Buffalo sauce on top.)

There are many different brands out there, but the one the wife came home with (I am sending her back to get 4-5 bottles, so we always have some in the house) is called Moore's Buffalo Wing Sauce.
It is made (are you ready for this??????) in Birmingham, Al.

Can't wait to bring to Camp this year and surprise everyone with Buffalo Deer Tacos.

Could it get any better? Yep....................................
Was looking on Craigslist, and saw a Presto Deep Fryer (only used at deer camp) for $5 and a Rival Deep Fryer(Like new) for $25.
I go and look at them, get both for $20.

So now will have Both of them, and the Fry Daddy to make Yum Yums with.
Lots of chicken Wings, fries, fried mushrooms and hush puppies at one time.

Watch out. You'll need to be going on a real strict diet if you keep this crap up.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By danc46:

SNIP
Watch out. You'll need to be going ona real strict diet if you keep this crap up.

Watch out. You'll need to be going to crap if you keep this diet up.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danc46] [#10]

SNIP
Watch out. You'll need to be going ona real strict diet if you keep this crap up.

I always need to crap. I've been told more than once I'm FOS.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: supremeweasel67] [#11]

SNIP

When you are correct, YOU ARE CORRECT

Tonight,

I used up some more burger and made up.................

Deep fried burger and cheese balls.

Mix ground deer burger and cream cheese.

Roll into tablespoon size balls.

Roll balls in a mixture of hush puppy mix.  

(side note––- I did find that if you place on tray back in freezer for a little while 20-30 minutes, less mess in fryer, and less chance of them coming apart)

Drop into hot oil.

Have to test to see when done based on your fryer, dutch oven, etc....

Great munchies.

Variations of this simple little snack are endless.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:19:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danc46] [#12]

SNIP

When you are correct, YOU ARE CORRECT

Tonight,
I used up some more burger and made up.................

Deep fried burger and cheese balls.

Mix ground deer burger and cream cheese.
Roll into tablespoon size balls.
Roll balls in a mixture of hush puppy mix.  

(side note––- I did find that if you place on tray back in freezer for a little while 20-30 minutes, less mess in fryer, and less chance of them coming apart)

Drop into hot oil.

Have to test to see when done based on your fryer, dutch oven, etc....

Great munchies.
Variations of this simple little snack are endless.

You can tell you've had plenty of them. They've clogged your arteries.
You can also salt and pepper ground venison to your taste, mix it with biscuit dough and ground sharp cheddar into small biscuits, then bake it in the oven for 10 minutes at 350, and it will taste pretty good.
Won't be dripping with oil either.
Wipe your chin, SW - I know you're drooling.

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Venison Breakfast sausage

6lbs ground venison

1/2 lb pork fat (optional)––I always leave this out (if you get your deer processed, the ground stuff usually has fat added (look for white specs)).

1.5 T black pepper

2 T Salt

1 T Paprika

1.5 T crushed red pepper

1T Italian Seasoning

1 t whole basil leaves

1 t garlic powder

2 t fennel sead

1 c water

I put it in 2lb packs vacuum sealed bags about 1" thick––each one runs about 5 days
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#14]
my recipe for a mixed Deer/Hog sausage

6 lbs of ground venison

3 lbs of ground hog backstrap - optional (had it left from my GA hog hunt)

2 lbs of pork fat (from the butcher)

2 cups of bread crumbs

3 tblsp of kosher salt

2 tsp of fresh ground pepper

4-5 cloves of garlic freshly minced

1 tsp of dry thyme

1 tsp of dry majoram

1 tsp of dry sage

1 cup of white wine

grounded every meat separately coarsely, mixed all meat with all the spices and crumbs and wine, ground it again this time finer.  filled the sausage, vacuum sealed.

To cook - I first poach it in boiling water for about 5-10 minutes, then grill or pan fry

sausage stuffing is a black tie event in my household:

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Since this thread seems to of died out.

New dish ....

Homemade burritos.

Butterfly steaks fried up in cast iron skillet ( high heat to sear both sides., flip quickly, and remove...it is not done yet)

Cut into 1/4-1/2" strips by 3-4 " long.

In the skillet, add julienne cut red onion, sweet onion, white onion.

Also add julienne cut sweet peppers.

Add a little butter, heavy sprinkling of Kickiin Chicken spice.(I also like to add a little paprika).

Med heat, and cover. Flip continuously.

Once onions and peppers start to "Carmelize", add venison strips. Recover and keep flipping.

On a plate, place a flour tortilla, spread some sour cream on tortilla, then layer of salsa, layer of cheese ( believe it or not, I like velvetta slices).

Place in microwave for 30 seconds.

Remove from micro, put a layer of the peppers, onions, and venison on top, then a layer of refried beans.

Roll up ( it doesn't have to be fancy, you will end up needing a fork.

For some additional goodness, pour some chili and cheese sauce (Hormel chili cheese dip kit) over the top.

If you have it , a little homemade mint pepper jelly on top.

Side dishes of corn on the Cobb, pickled beets, and Bush's Grillin Beans (steakhouse recipe).

Good for dinner, lunch or breakfast !

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#16]
When frying up the blackstrap, I've been crushing up saltine crackers and mixing that with flour.
I try to get most of it into a powder, but leave some chunks to get crusty.

Be careful if you add salt since the crackers already have some.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]
jerky

slice up the whole deer fairly thin - what won't slice run it through the grinder and use High Mountain jerky spice recommendations for ground jerky

sprinkle High Mountain pepper blend on both sides of slices (cookie sheet comes in handy)
bag it for 24 hrs in the fridge to cure/marinate
dehydrate - usually about 4 hours

ENJOY!
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Kind of already been touched on, but I just made it for supper tonight again, I don't follow recipes, I go by what sounds like it should be included on a given day.. Today's concoction was good.

I'll call it..

Jerry's Venison Stew.

1.5lbs Cubed Venison ( left overs from slicing for jerky, steaks and roasts )
2 cans of French onion soup ( +1 can of water )
5-6 medium potatoes ( peeled and cut into 1" approximate pieces )
4-5 peeled carrots ( cut into 1" pieces )
Tony's Creole seasoning
Lawreys Season Salt
Black Pepper
Enriched flour.

Cook the Venison with the soup and 1 can of water for 2 hours on high in a crock pot, add the cubed potatoes - cook an additional 2 hours, Add carrots, Creole, Lawreys and pepper- cook an additional 1-1.5 hours.
At the end, I used a Strainer to separate all the juices into a bowl, add 1.5-2 table spoons of flour and wisk it together until no chunks, place back into crock pot, give a little stir, let set for 5 minutes on the table and serve.

Absolutely delicious.

Probably one of the only times I cook.. and don't use Worcestershire sauce ;)

Another favorite is Steaks- few splashes of olive oil, a splash of red wine vinegar, a few splashes ( OK MORE THEN A FEW ) of Worcestershire sauce, 3-4 table spoons of brown sugar and some Tony's in a gallon bag, marinade for the day / overnight and grill to medium / medium rare. Delicious.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 1:08:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ultraclassic01] [#19]
Can Cooker Jr.
Italian Venison Roast
[youtube]http://youtu.be/g7do2zXx0p4[/youtube]
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Venison Steak With Wine Sauce.  (Assured excellence as it includes BACON)

CIRCA 1750

6 Venison butterfly steaks
6 slices bacon (sized to wrap circumference of your steaks)
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp butter
1 cup Burgundy wine

Circumferential wrap each steak with bacon held in place with toothpick(s).
Mix and sift together flour, sage, celery salt, thyme and cayenne pepper.
Sprinkle the flour mixture over both sides of steaks.
Melt butter in heavy skillet and quickly fry steaks on each side.
(I PERSONALLY WARM ON THE STOVE AND FINISH ON BBQ TO CRISP BACON)
Remove steaks to serving platter
Place steaks in a warming oven. (I HANDLE THE BBQ AS WIFE MAKES THE FOLLOWING Sauce SO WE DON'T NEED A HEATING OVEN)
Add Burgundy wine to the frying pan and scrape the bottom to dislodge cooked-on bits
Simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened
Pour sauce over steaks.
Serves six.

This is a rather simple, yet very pleasing dish.  Hope you try it and enjoy it!

Sly
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome I'm getting hungry now.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#22]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Did this to a shoulder a couple of days ago. Minimum effort & fall-off-the-bone tender.

Mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 pkg onion soup/dip mix, 1 can fat-free low sodium beef broth, 1 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce, & 1/4 tsp garlic powder in slow cooker. Put in shoulder (remove fat & fell and cut as necessary to fit) and cover with 1 large sliced onion. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Had a slice of it in a cat's-head biscuit with a glass of buttermilk this morning.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 10:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: simmons] [#24]
This is my first attempt at canning deer. 1 jar seeped some liquid out  but all sealed?
I read it could be from a number of things.

I made sure to follow intructions.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
THIS.... ever since I made straps that way... it's the only way I make them anymore... just too good. We use Dale's a lot...and as stated...be careful not to over marinade with this stuff...or your going to have a salt lick. Never thought about using it on the venison... I will be giving that one a shot...thanks.

The way I do em,

1 quart apple cider

Directions

Place chunks of venison into a shallow baking dish, and pour enough apple cider in to cover them. Cover, and refrigerate for 6 - 12 hours. Remove, and pat dry. Discard apple cider, and return venison to the dish. Pour barbecue sauce over the chunks, cover, and refrigerate for 6 -12 more hours.

(Sometimes I will mix the Cider and BBQ 50/50 for the second marinade... sometimes I will throw a shot of Jack Daniels in there too)

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Charcoal is best, but if you must, use gas. ( If gas is your only option, a dash of liquid smoke to the marinade kicks it a bit) Remove meat from the refrigerator, and let stand for 30 minutes, or until no longer chilled. Wrap each chunk of venison in a slice of bacon, and secure with toothpicks.

Brush the grill grate with olive oil when hot, and place venison pieces on the grill so they are not touching each other. The bacon will kick up some flames, so be ready. ( I have a squirt bottle with some apple cider to mist/knock down the flames)

Grill, turning occasionally, until the bacon becomes slightly burnt, 15 to 20 minutes. The slower, the better. Dig in, and prepare to want more!

As with venison...try not to overcook...I consider them perfect if there is a dime sized pinkish center of the backstrap.

Enjoy

http://images.media-allrecipes.com//site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/big/94341.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Bacon wrapped Backstrap Strip. Marinate backstraps for no more than an hour in 50/50 Dale's seasoning / Worcestershire sauce. Cut into 2 separate pieces, wrap in bacon slice and use toothpicks to secure bacon. Grill to medium well...awesome. http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/BlaZeJeep/Deerbackstrapsteaks.jpg"

The way I do em,

1 quart apple cider

Directions

Enjoy

Tried this tonight.  Used Steve Raichlen's Lemon Brown Sugar BBQ* sauce, used a gas grill with mesquite chips and the whole family loved it.  Paired it with a some 12 yr old Van Winkle Lot B and dinner was fantastic.

*2 cups ketchup

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 teasp grated lemon zest

6 tblsp fresh lemon juice

2 tblsp molasses

1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce

1.5 teasp liquid smoke

2 teasp dry mustard

1 teasp onion powder

1/2 teasp black pepper

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and whisk together.  Slowly bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.  Transfer to another bowl, let cool and then refrigerate until ready to use.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Only recipe I've got to share. Turned out delicious last year.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I like to cut up backstrap about 1/2" thick, let it bleed overnight in the fridge then mix up some of this
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
a small cap full of vinegar to help tenderize
a cap full of liquid smoke
a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
some season salt
some garlic powder
and a good bit of the grill mates steak rub
Let it soak for a day, then cook it on a cast iron skillet with a little butter.

Everyone uses pork when they make burger meat, I use beef fat trimmings from whatever store will save them for me, and usually that's free.  I mix it at a 70/30 mix with some meat that has had time to bleed out.  It sticks together well and is hard to tell a difference in taste, especially in taco meat or anything with seasonings added.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Thick back strap
wrap in bacon
marinate in Dale's with brown sugar sprinkled liberally on top, 2 hours.
pop in the oven for 20 minutes at 450 degrees.
Cut in slices,
Spoon juices over them
Enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:21:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: We-rBorg] [#30]
I like  to use a 1/2 neck and make a pulled pork type sandwich, got tired of cutting and grinding it.
1/2 neck, depending on the weight, I like 2 lbs to work with.
1 pk of  pulled pork spices, ( I leave out the brown sugar and add a touch of crushed red peppers)
2 tbs of smoke sauce,, mesquite flavored,
2 tbs of Worcestershire sauce,
Add 1 of your fav beers,,
Throw in the slow cooker on high till neck bones separate and all the sinew dissolves, may take 10-12 hrs,
Remove the bones and the meat usually shreds itself when stirred.
Can use on a hamburger bun, but I like to use the Pillsbury flaky Grand biscuits.
I took some biscuits w/ "pulled pork" to the little store down the road the other day,, didn't tell them it was deer, and they really enjoyed it.
ETA, can't tell it's not pork
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#31]
For the rump steaks:

Chop up onion, saute until it just starts to brown in a skillet with olive oil. Dump in bowl. add 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce, and 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar. 2 tablespoons of peppercorns.  Crush a ripe tomato in your hands and toss it in.  Throw in Venison.  Rub the marinade all over, and throw in fridge to marinate for 24 hours.

Take it out of fridge, and allow to come to room temp. salt lightly.  cook in a pan to medium rare. (do not overcook rump meat, or it will be tough as shoe leather.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Salt pepper garlic.  Drop in crock pot and leave it.   Fork tender roast in 8hours.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I made this the first time last year for a Super Bowl party, but I have made it a couple times since then.

1)Fry up a pound(or 2 depending on size of the pizza crust) of venison. once its fried, I pour in about a half cup of worcester sauce, mix it in and let it sit on low-medium heat for a couple minutes.

2)1 can of Tomato paste and 1 can tomato Sauce.
3)quarter or half cup of apple cider vinegar
4)2 tablespoon of brown sugar
5)1 tablespoon of spicy mustard
6)half an onion chopped up
7)half tablespoon of chili powder

8)combine numbers 2-7 and pour over the meat in the skillet, let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes on medium heat
9)pour the sloppy joe meat into a dish style pizza crust(i prefer a deep dish crust because it will hold the sloppy joe mixture in place
10)cover with mozzerella and chedder cheese until its covered. cut up the other half of onion into strips and put the strips on top of the cheese.
11)put the pizza into the preheated oven(400 degrees) for about 5-7 minutes. I will then turn it on broil for about 3-5 minutes to let the top get a little brown.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:44:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NBT] [#34]
Originally Posted By jbenevides89:
Everyone uses pork when they make burger meat, I use beef fat trimmings from whatever store will save them for me, and usually that's free.  I mix it at a 70/30 mix with some meat that has had time to bleed out.  It sticks together well and is hard to tell a difference in taste, especially in taco meat or anything with seasonings added.
View Quote
Same here....
Since it's been a "while"...sorry I haven't followed up. I lurk more than post. Subscribed now though....anyhow...
We always use T-bone fat/trimmings from the slaughter house and grind it into our burger... makes outstanding burgers.
We use five to one ratio, (venison/fat) however this year we're using beef kidney fat. Will update as we load em up this season...and advise.

Update : once I/we get home from bow camp...I'll be trying CaesAR15 and WMD's spin. I love the Apple "twist" to it. Both sound excellent...and now that I have plenty of backstraps...it's time to eat. I'll be diving into other recipes well. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Good luck and Hit em hard

Link Posted: 12/5/2017 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I created this awesome venison chilli recipe that went over so well at a Christmas party that people were racing to scrape the crock pot for leftovers to take home.

Ingredients.
1.5lb ground venison
3-4oz chorizo
4oz hot breakfast pork sausage
4oz ground beef
1 large poblano pepper
2 medium Hungarian was peppers
3 Serrano peppers
1 small-medium size red chilli pepper
1/2 medium sized onion
Minced garlic
3/4 gallon tomato sauce
1 small can of RoTel(spice level depending on your preference)
chilli powder
Paprika
Cumin
Celery salt
Himilayan sea salt
Ground black pepper
Chipotle seasoning
2 cans chilli beans(optional)

Cooking instructions

Roast poblano and Hungarian was peppers, after roasted place in bag for a couple minutes to loosen skin, remove skin chop chop off, remove seeds and then chop into fine-medium size pieces.
Serrano and chilli peppers cut stems off then split and remove seeds and, chop into fine to medium size chunks. Set all peppers to the side
Chop half onion to preferred size pieces(I prefer finely chopped), put pot on stove turn to high, drizzle olive oil in pot(I used hot chilli infused olive oil) caramelize onions, once almost done put 2-3 table spoons of minced garlic into pot, will smell difference once garlic is done.
Brown the chorizo, pork sausage, and ground beef in the same pot, once almost completely browned add in the venison. Add 1tbls chilli powder and a few large pinches of salt, pepper, paprika, and Chipotle powder.
Once browned take off heat, this next part is optional but adds great flavor. Cover pot with seran wrap, use infusion smoker(I have a gourmia one which was $30), use mesquite chips and fill pot with smoke, left sit covered 5-8min.
Place back over heat, add in all peppers, RoTel, Tomato sauce, and the optional beans, turn heat up until up to temperature and starts to bubble then turn down low.
Add in 3tbls of chilli powder(may need more depending on taste), add 1tbls cumin, paprika salt and celery salt to taste.
Let cook for about an hour stirring occasionally.

My instructions may not be the greatest as I do not cook often and I now have only 2 dishes that get rave reviews.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#36]
This is very good, have made this a few times. The venison gets incredibly rich tasting. My wife, who "doesnt like deer meat", always asks our son for a roast from his deer for it.  We've tried it with very lean beef, and while it tastes good, it just doesn't have the deep taste of venison.

Italian Venison Sandwiches 

2 cups water 
1 envelope onion soup mix 
1 tbsp dried basil 
1 tbsp dried parsley flakes 
1 tsp beef bouillon granules 
1/2 tsp celery salt 
1/4 tsp garlic powder 
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper 
1/4 tsp black pepper 
1 boneless venison roast (3-4 pounds), cut into 1" cubes 

Add all ingredients to a crockpot, and stir to coat meat and combine all the ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours.  Serve on onion rolls, using the juice for dipping, or just eat it as a stew.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I cut thick venison steaks, salt them and let them sit in the fridge in a Pyrex container for about three days. Then either blacken them or add pepper and garlic and grill them very rare.
I don’t care for steak after eating venison steak this way. It’s just soooo good.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Jaegerschnitzle!

Simply fry up some tenderized cfs cuts in a quick flour -> egg -> breadcrumbs mix.

Some heavy cream and jaeger sauce mix, plenty of mushrooms

Boil up a package of spaetzle.

HEB here in texas has the jaeger sauce and spaetzle in packets for like $1 or 2, simple, relatively quick, and delicious.

You can of course make your own sauce and spaetzle but 3 kids and long work ours doesn't let us do that often.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Venison is so lean...it makes the perfect stir fry.

How to Make the Best Beef-Stir Fry with Bell Peppers
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked Your Favorite Recipe (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top