Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Your Favorite Recipe (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2009 4:47:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: supremeweasel67]
MODS/SITE STAFF

If dupe. please delete. If not, can we get a "sticky"?

I checked and did not see anything with Recipes in one location.

Some were scattered everywhere.

If I am wrong just delete, and I will go stand in the corner.

With the Seasons already started, or right around the corner, thought it might be need for a place for all the great Recipes for everyone to share/try.

I saw this posted and admit it is quite informative:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=19&t=616770

This is one of my favorite personal recipes.

Whatever other meals you cook with Beef,Pork or Chicken, you can do with Deer.

Only with Deer, the cooking time is less to avoid drying out/overcooking

My favorite is:

Get a Large Cast Iron Skillet.

Use corn oil, pouring about 1/4 inch to half inch in skillet.

Heat on medium to medium high

In large bowl beat egg and milk together

In seperate lage bowl mix flour and spices together

Dip tenderized meat into egg/milk mix, roll in flour spice mix, and place in skillet using tongs ( this will help to avoid splash burns)

As meat cooks, blood will start to come to the top. Once good amount is starting to "Bubble" to the top, flip using the tongs.

Again blood will start to come to top. Let cook for a liitle bit, flip again, and then remove from skillet. (about 2 minutes per side is about right depending on stove and heat setting)

Place meat on a platter with about 5 sheets of paper towls on platter ( To soak up oil). (Will also finish "cooking thru" while on platter)

Serve meat with some fried potatoes and onions. Green Beans or Blackeye Peas and Corn on the Cobb
I have also tried some from here:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Meat-and-Poultry/Game-Meats/Venison/ViewAll.aspx

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
a few years ago i tried to get everyone to post some game recipes and was going to make an cook book and send it to everyone but did not get a single reply
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:39:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#2]
blue cheese bacon elk burgers

fry 8 pieces bacon
form ground elk into  4 1/3 pound patty ( if you have to you can use beef I never tried deer but should work)
fry in the bacon greese medium rare
put on a potato bread bun top each with

2 slices bacon
blue cheese crumbles
blue cheese dressing
black pepper  
tabasco

the tabasco is very important.

I will post more when I have time to find them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I want to hear more!
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:
blue cheese bacon elk burgers

fry 8 pieces bacon
form ground elk into  4 1/3 pound patty ( if you have to you can use beef I never tried deer but should work)
fry in the bacon greese medium rare
put on a potato bread bun top each with

2 slices bacon
blue cheese crumbles
blue cheese dressing
black pepper  
tabasco

the tabasco is very important.

I will post more when I have time to find them.

sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 12:39:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#5]
Sweet and Sour Meatballs (my kids love this)

1.5 pounds elk or 1pound deer .5 pound beef
3/4 C evaporated milk
1/2 C onion
2/3 C bread crumbs
1 t salt
mix make into balls brown in oven 30-40 min then drain

16 oz can crushed pineapple
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C vinegar
2 T soy sauce
2T corn starch
1 C chopped green pepper

Drain juice from pineapple into sauce pan add water to make 1 cup cook with the above 5 till thick and brown. Add pineapple to sauce pour over
meatballs then bake on 350 for 40/50 min in a 8x12 pan.

ETA

made a batch today so added a pic

Link Posted: 9/24/2009 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are three recipes I really like.  I have a lot of others, as well.  If interested in seeing more of this kind of thing, let me know.

Venison Marsala
Two Round Steaks from a medium size deer or three from a smallish one will serve 3 to 4 people depending on side dishes and how hungry you are.

Cut upper round from lower round of each steak at the "tail" end (away from the bone end). Trim all fat and especially the shiny membrane off. Cut each resulting cut into 2 or 3 cuts about the size of veal cutlets (about 3 inches wide by 4 inches long). If a buck or an older doe, you may wish to sprinkle both sides with Adolf's non-flavored tenderizer. Place cuts on plastic wrap. Cover with plastic wrap and beat with a tenderizing mallet until about 1/2 inch thick and cell structure is broken down a bit. Dredge in flour and set aside.

Make Marsala Sauce

Ingredients (Use proportionately more if making more venison than described)

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup Marsala wine (You might have to get at liquor store if sales are state controlled where you live)
1 1/2 cups of beef stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Add olive oil to heavy, hot saucepan. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender. Add flour and cook about 1 minute then deglaze pan with Marsala wine. Add beef stock and cook until thick and flavors are blended. Keep warm until venison is cooked and ready to serve. (You can do these steps at the same time but you do not want the venison to be done before the Marsala sauce - better to keep the sauce warm for a few minutes)

Cover bottom of skillet with olive oil and brown venison over medium heat on both sides. Then turn to simmer until fork tender.

Place one or two venison cutlets on plate and serve Marsala sauce on side or over top if you are wild. Add sides of your choice. Flat noodles or brown rice and grilled asparagus are good suggestions. Complement with a stout red like a Zinfandel or a Cabernet. Enjoy.

Venison Goulash
Ingredients for this recipe include...
•2 pounds of venison flank meat
•3 large onions, sliced thinly
•3 tablespoons mild Hungarian Paprika
•2 tablespoons oil
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 large green bell pepper, sliced thinly
•1/2 cup water
•1/4 cup red wine
•2 pounds wide egg noodles
Cut the venison into one inch cubes. Heat the oil in a large, heavy soup pot or Dutch oven. Brown the venison. Add the onions, paprika and salt. Continue cooking, stirring often, until the onions have softened. Add the water and green pepper slices, cover, and cook at medium-low heat for one and one-half hours, or until the venison is fork tender.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the egg noodles. Serve the finished venison goulash over the noodles for a hearty meal.

Shrimp-Stuffed Tenderloin
One of the finest ways to celebrate taking a fine buck, or for that matter a nice doe, is to invite company to enjoying eating "high on the deer." This recipe makes use of the backstraps and provides a culinary treat which will have you wishing that half the deer was loin. It's fancy fixin's at their finest.

Ingredients:
•  1 whole venison backstrap
•  1/2 -1 cup Italian salad dressing
•  12 whole shrimp, cooked and peeled
•  1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
•  1 tablespoon butter, melted
•  2 teaspoons lemon juice
•  1-2 slices bacon
Cut the backstrap lengthwise to within 1/4 or 1/2 inch of bottom to butterfly. Place meat in Italian dressing and marinate for at least four hours. Cook shrimp in water seasoned to taste with Old Bay seasoning and peel. Place shrimp end to end inside loin. Melt butter in microwave and add lemon juice; drizzle over shrimp. Close meat around shrimp and secure with toothpicks or string. Place bacon strips over shrimp and secure with toothpicks. Place backstrap in a broiler pan and roast at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until rare. An instant-read meat thermometer is very helpful here. Meanwhile, prepare wine sauce.
Wine Sauce
•  1/2 cup real butter
•  1/4 cup finely chopped onion
•  1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
•  1-2 large garlic cloves, minced
•  1/2 cup white wine
•  1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Melt butter. Sauté onion mushrooms and garlic until tender. Add wine and Worcestershire sauce and simmer slowly to reduce to about half. To serve, slice backstrap, remove toothpicks, and spoon on wine sauce.
Tips: Serve with baked brown rice and bake apricots; both can be placed in the oven while the roast cooks. Add a green salad and you have a delicious meal.

Link Posted: 9/24/2009 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
steak
+
fire

/thread
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 5:18:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CaputLapidis] [#8]
Steak + fire

Yeah, that works pretty good, too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Simple one.

Marinate a backstrap in a gallon freezer bag with Italian dressing and your favorite seasonings for 2-3 days. I use Tony's, paprika and garlic powder.

Place on grill dont OVERCOOK.

Slice into medallions dip in horseradish sauce.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Venison Jerky > Venison/cheese sticks.  If I have to eat venison my favorite is:

Venison currant mole––excellent breaded filets in a brown sauce with hints of currant jelly and chocolate.  Sounds weird but is phenomenal. Recipe can be supplied.

NH
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 2:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: supremeweasel67] [#11]
Just came back from a Hog and Bear Hunt in South Georgia.

While we were there, the property owner cooked a great meal.

He took some deer filets and put them in Gallon Freezer Bags, and filled them with ButterMilk.

Let soak over night in fridge.

Pulled them out and rolled them in a mix of flour, lowery's seasoning salt, salt and pepper.

Placed in a oil fryer (Big fish fryer) with canola oil. Temp around 350 degrees

When floated to top (Flash Fried), they were pulled, and served. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He did the same with some quail legs and breast filets, some bear meat,, and even some gator.

Was quite the feast.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#12]
BBQ venison burger

Ground venison
Favorite sweet bbq sause
little brown sugar
1 egg (to keep meat together)
little Worcestershire Sauce

Mix and form into patty for grille.  Great with pepperjack cheese on top!
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 11:13:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: high-octane] [#13]
Some good burgers.

Take 2 pounds ground venison and mix with 1 pound breakfast sausage. (i like hot) Form in to pattys and cook. I love this and it makes alot. Cant remember were i got the recipe but its a good one.

I also like to do roasts in the crockpot. Just like a regular roast with carrots, potatoes, onions, etc.

My girlfriend takes the steaks and cuts them into strips and makes a curry out of it and serves it with veggys over rice. Ill see what kind of curry she uses. Its just a block that dissolves that we get at kroger. This is the first dish she ever cooked for me. I knew she was a keeper.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dmstr02:
Simple one.

Marinate a backstrap in a gallon freezer bag with Italian dressing and your favorite seasonings for 2-3 days. I use Tony's, paprika and garlic powder.

Place on grill dont OVERCOOK.

Slice into medallions dip in horseradish sauce.

Link Posted: 10/6/2009 12:54:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#15]
I have made corned beef and pastrami out of deer hams. Used a kit from the sausage maker. Super good and easy slice the corned beef thin then fry with sliced cabbage, onion and potato.

PASTRAMI & CORNED BEEF KIT
or serve on toasted rye with sauerkraut swiss and 1000 island like we did tonight

Link Posted: 10/6/2009 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Last year I cubed up some venison and mixed it with whatever seasoning and then mixed in a really nice soft bleu cheese.  Ran it all through the grinder so the cheese was intermixed with the meat.  The patties wouldn't stay together well enough to grill so I pan fried them (which probably worked out better so they wouldn't dry out as much).  Put them on a bun with all the regular burger fixins.  My wife usually won't eat venison but she went back for seconds on these.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Sunday we applied fresh cracked black pepper to a backstrap from a buck and let it sit for about an hour, then broiled it medium rare.  My wife made a port reduction sauce to go with it.  It was fantastic.  Not one bite left.  Easy meal to make.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Deer Pot Roast (as good as beef roast if not better and this from a guy who hates Gamey food)

- 3 or more pounds of Deer roast
- sliced carrots
- cut up potatoes
- onion cut in to big slices
- Sliced celery
- 1 pack of Liptons Onion Soup Mix (You can add another half pack to taste if you want but start with one pack)
- 2 Cups of water
- A jar of Brown gravy (you can add a little to the mix or add it once the roast is done, its up to you)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tabasco to taste

Add all the ingredients and pour the water over the roast and cook all day until the meat iof very tender. Once its really tender I cut the meat up and stir it all up and sometimes add a little bit of brown gravy to the mix. My brother likes to add it after its cooked but its up to you. Make sure you pour the juicees over the meat once and while because you dont want the meat to dry out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Cordon Bleu Turkey

Fresh turkey breast pounded thin (use wooden mallet) to about 3/8 inch thick
Use thin sliced ham for first layer over turkey breast
Use thin Swiss cheese for second layer over turkey
Carefully "roll up" into a cigar like shape and "pin" it together with toothpicks
Cut into sections like short stubby cigars
Use milk/flour batter to dredge
Pan or Deep fry till done
ENJOY!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bittner182:
BBQ venison burger

Ground venison
Favorite sweet bbq sause
little brown sugar
1 egg (to keep meat together)
little Worcestershire Sauce

Mix and form into patty for grille.  Great with pepperjack cheese on top!

Tried this tonight,but added Blue Cheese crumbles to the mix and folded it all together with sweet baby back rib sauce. It was slap your momma good!
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Take some back strap and fry them up in some butter or oil to golden dark brown.
Make regular white gravy with flour, butter, milk and drippings (same pan as you cooked venison)
Pour in a large can of stewed tomatoes and mix it all together

Place back straps on plate and drown in the tomato gravy. GOOD TO GO
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#22]
This is insultingly easy but its pretty tasty! It's easy to do too, if you're camping out of your truck or just want a good, easy, hot filling meal for a cold winter night...

Cubed Venison steak or roast.
Can of condensed vegitable beef soup.
Diced sweet onion - optional
Fat for sauteing the venison.
White Rice (you can also use barley if you prefer)
Salt, pepper, tobasco to your taste or other favorite seasonings.
You can add most anything you enjoy to this basic setup. I've used a dash of cajun seanoning, Emirils essence etc to the venison.

Saute the venison in butter, that spray stuff if you have to use it, margarine or whatever.
(You can saute in some onions if you like.)
Once done, dump the condensed soup in the pan with the venison. Dilute with water but dont' overdo it. You can add more water later if you want to. Simmer on low till everything is hot and the venison is done to your liking. (If you cook it right, the vension is fork tender and very tasty!)

Add rice to the same pan if you want to or cook it seperately. (I've done both and barley can be used too.)

Put some rice in a bowl, spoon the venion on top, add salt and pepper or tabasco if you want and have at it!

Rolls, salad, cornbread, whatever you like goes nice with this.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Bubba's Jerky
4tbl spn A1 Steak Marinade
2tbl spn Texas Pete
2pnc cayenne pepper
1/2pnc chilli powder
2pncgarlic powder
salt as like
pepper as like
splash of sugar i like this u may not gives a sweet after taste
1tbl spn worchester sauce not needed steak marinade has a worchester taste already
1/2 cup water
1-2 shot's of tequilla or crown royal
1 1/2 tbl spn liquid smoke

the water and shot's can be replaced with a beer or no alcohol can be used and just use 1 cup of water i do it poor man's way in the oven lowest setting door cracked flip after 3-4 hours 3-4 hour's later usually done.

i'm sure u all got jerky recipes i just had to donate mine lol
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 3:16:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coltcrazy] [#24]
Cut the backstrap in 1/4" thick pieces, cover in flour/salt/pepper/egg  mix and fry in olive oil. Can be eaten straight out of the pan or on biscuits.  Awesome
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:00:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: supremeweasel67] [#25]
Well came up with this by accident.

I was smoking a whole chicken, and a Boston butt in the smoker.

I had a little room, and I saw a deer roast from 2006 in the freezer, that had fallen to the back.

So I prepped it, and it went in the smoker also.

Lesson learned.

- Take extra care to remove ALL tallow as possible

- As it contains no fat, a marinated roast works better, also keep squirting with moister bottle to keep from DRYING OUT.

- Can actually turn into some pretty tasting jerky if you do get it to dry.

- If you never use a steamer pot/bowl of water in smoker, you might want to when doing deer roast.

- The "Cajun Injector" is a good thing for deer roasts, as it gets everything (inside) wet, and spreads the flavor around.

- I tried the "Creole Butter" , not really thrilled with it, a little to "creamy""sweet" for my taste.

- a mixture of "Liquid Smoke, 100% apple juice/cider, and spices is some good stuff for a marinade/injection

Now will have a bunch of jerky when deer camp rolls around in Sept, Oct, Nov. without using up my deer burger.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell, I'll throw my latest meat loaf recipe in.
Two lbs of ground venison
Three eggs
One cup of oatmeal
Two thirds of a cup of Tone's Southwest Chipotle Seasoning (available at Sam's)
One large red onion chopped up fine.
A little bit of Liquid Smoke if you want.
Mix it well, place in a greased pan, put some ketchup on it.
Stick in the refrigerator for a day or two. (The spices seem to permeate it more!)
Then cook at 350 degrees around one and a quarter hours - 75 minutes.
It comes out pretty good.
Even people who don't like venison seem to think it's really good.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By danc46:

Hell, I'll throw my latest meat loaf recipe in.

Two lbs of ground venison

Three eggs

One cup of oatmeal

Two thirds of a cup of Tone's Southwest Chipotle Seasoning (available at Sam's)

One large red onion chopped up fine.

A little bit of Liquid Smoke if you want.

Mix it well, place in a greased pan, put some ketchup on it.    <–––––––– get a rope

Stick in the refrigerator for a day or two. (The spices seem to permeate it more!)

Then cook at 350 degrees around one and a quarter hours - 75 minutes.

It comes out pretty good.

Even people who don't like venison seem to think it's really good.

I have 2 pounds in the fridge thawing out right now, for making meatloaf.

Instead of the Ketchup, try with a Marsala Sauce. (www.gatewaygourmet.com/marsala.htm)

Also going to throw 2 pheasants , and a boston butt on the smoker tomorrow.

May even throw in a Ohio caught trout if have some room.

Smoke over a bowl of Mott's 110 Berry juice, Apple Cider, mixed with water.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#28]
My favorite recipe for deer,, EVAR!!!

Baby Deer Fiiet Mignon
Ingredients:  Freshly killed spotted baby deer tenderloin.  Bacon.  BBQ sauce.
Cut veal sized venison tenderloin into 1" thick steaks.
Wrap outside edge with bacon using toothpicks to hold bacon in place.
Grill about 5 minutes on each side.
Coat with BBQ sauce and grill till glazed.

I ate one whole tenderloin, (one side), by myself.  It's prolly gonna take a car hit to get the "right" kinda meat for this since there's not too many spotted baby deer in our area during deer season.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm gonna pull out a rump roast (DEER'S ASS for those of you unsure of venison cuts!) and fix it this week end.
I usually slow cook it in a covered pot filled with a couple of cut up onions and strong, freshly brewed coffee at 175 degrees for around 12 hours.
Should come out pretty good.
Simple and no fuss to fix.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Marinate overnight in tomato juice. Anything you do with it after that is good.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:
I have made corned beef and pastrami out of deer hams. Used a kit from the sausage maker. Super good and easy slice the corned beef thin then fry with sliced cabbage, onion and potato.

PASTRAMI & CORNED BEEF KIT
or serve on toasted rye with sauerkraut swiss and 1000 island like we did tonight

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac317/Iowaredneck/IMG_1547.jpg

Will have to try this.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 1:54:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Take complete front shoulder bone in  (not shot up)
 season with :
 salt to taste
 pepper to taste
 onion powder
 garlic powder
 pinch of tyme
 rosemary
 parsley'
 sweet basil
 bayleaf
 one to two 12 0z cans chicken stock
 1 large cut up onion
 fresh garlic
 couple of cut up potatoes
 cut up carrots
 put in crock pot and cook all day on low .
 serve over rice .

or use same recipe and sear roast in large pot on stove in olive oil  then make roux with flour
add other ingredients cook until done aprox 2-3 hours on low heat

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok, hands down, the best venison recipe ever!! Cut up loin or ham into 1" thick slices. Beat flat to about the size of a baseball. (tenderize). Place some uncooked sausage on top and lay it flat on the pounded meat. Mix cream cheese with chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, chopped and drained jalepenos. Put a layer of mixture on top of sausage. Fold meat over everything, as tight as you can without oozing out the cream cheese. Wrap with bacon and toothpic together, using the bacon to hold in the cream cheese filling. Put on the grill at 300 degrees and wait. The best deer poppers you will ever eat!
My wife loves the fried loin chunks in buttermilk batter, salt, pepper and fried until the floats. But we had a few people over and the poppers were gone FAST!
Everyone loved em. A little work, but well worth it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 10:43:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4G37] [#34]
Bacon wrapped Backstrap Strip. Marinate backstraps for no more than an hour in 50/50 Dale's seasoning/Worchestershire sauce. Cut into 2 separate pieces, wrap in bacon slice and use toothpicks to secure bacon. Grill to medium well...awesome. "
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By M4G37:
Bacon wrapped Backstrap Strip. Marinate backstraps for no more than an hour in 50/50 Dale's seasoning / Worcestershire sauce. Cut into 2 separate pieces, wrap in bacon slice and use toothpicks to secure bacon. Grill to medium well...awesome. http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/BlaZeJeep/Deerbackstrapsteaks.jpg"

THIS.... ever since I made straps that way... it's the only way I make them anymore... just too good. We use Dale's a lot...and as stated...be careful not to over marinade with this stuff...or your going to have a salt lick. Never thought about using it on the venison... I will be giving that one a shot...thanks.

The way I do em,

2 pounds venison backstrap (tenderloin), cut into 2 inch chunks
1 quart apple cider
1 1/2 pounds thick sliced heavy peppered bacon ( I get mine at Sam's club)
2 (12 ounce) bottles barbecue sauce, your choice

Directions
Place chunks of venison into a shallow baking dish, and pour enough apple cider in to cover them. Cover, and refrigerate for 6 - 12 hours. Remove, and pat dry. Discard apple cider, and return venison to the dish. Pour barbecue sauce over the chunks, cover, and refrigerate for 6 -12 more hours.
(Sometimes I will mix the Cider and BBQ 50/50 for the second marinade... sometimes I will throw a shot of Jack Daniels in there too)
Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Charcoal is best, but if you must, use gas. ( If gas is your only option, a dash of liquid smoke to the marinade kicks it a bit) Remove meat from the refrigerator, and let stand for 30 minutes, or until no longer chilled. Wrap each chunk of venison in a slice of bacon, and secure with toothpicks.
Brush the grill grate with olive oil when hot, and place venison pieces on the grill so they are not touching each other. The bacon will kick up some flames, so be ready. ( I have a squirt bottle with some apple cider to mist/knock down the flames)
Grill, turning occasionally, until the bacon becomes slightly burnt, 15 to 20 minutes. The slower, the better. Dig in, and prepare to want more!
As with venison...try not to overcook...I consider them perfect if there is a dime sized pinkish center of the backstrap.

Enjoy

Link Posted: 11/29/2010 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm officially printing this entire thread as motivation in the woods next week!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 12:32:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OBAKE] [#37]
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 3:15:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iammrbill] [#38]
these are just a few that i do, but i always get rave reviews when i do them-
note-i do not post amounts or measurements as we all have our own preferences. feel free to modify the seasonings to suit your tastes, this is just what i use and have only ever receive praise. for the stew, you can substitute the red meat for poultry/rabbit/squirrel and the stock/boulion/broth and thickener for the chicken equivalents to make stew for those meats(ie-rabbit stew would be rabbit, chicken stock, chicken gravy or cornstarch)

(1)venison jalapenos
ingredients-
fresh jalapenos
bacon
block cheddar cheese
venison tenderloin(the part from inside the ribcage along the spine)

prep-
cut lengthwise and remove seeds and veins from jalapenos
place a chunk of cheese inside the jalapeno
cut a piece of tenderloin and place inside the jalapeno so that it is between the cheese and the cheese's freedom(you want to keep the cheese in the pepper)
wrap w/bacon and secure w/toothpicks

cook-
grill/broil/bake until  bacon is crispy but not burnt. make sure to turn for even cooking.

tip-
place the toothpicks so that the pepper will stay in place on each side and it's much easier to evenly cook

once bacon is crispy, remove from heat and serve(i like some nice fresh from the fridge ranch dressing w/mine)

(2)bacon wrapped backstrap(this one is pretty standard)
ingredients-
backstrap
bacon
dry rub(equal parts salt,pepper,paprika and brown sugar)

prep-
generously coat your backstrap w/your dry rub
let it sit and come to room temperature
wrap the bacon around the backstrap so it resembles a log of file mignons
secure bacon w/toothpicks

cook-
same as the jalapenos-grill/bake/broil until bacon is crispy
turn for even cooking using toothpicks to keep it from rolling
when bacon is crispy cut the backstap between slices of bacon

(3)venison stew(you can use beef as well)
ingredients-
venison roast
baby carrots
potatoes
seasonings(i use pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, sage, rosemary)
beef stock/broth/boulion
corn starch or brown gravy mix(to thicken it up)

prep-
cube the roast
dice the potatoes(if using the bouncy ball sized red skins, just quarter them)

cook-
place most of the potatoes and carrots in the bottom of a crock pot
place the cubed meat on top
top off w/remainder of veggies
add the stock/broth/boulion until none of the meat or veggies is exposed to air
add your seasonings
stir until even(make sure meat and veggies are still not exposed when finished)
put the lid on your crockpot
fire it up to high
let it boil on high for no more than 1 hr before reducing heat to med
cook on med for 5-11hrs stirring occaisionally

you'll know it's done when the veggies are soft and the meat wants to come apart when you stir

about 10min before serving, add the cornstarch or gravy mix

tip-
when adding the starch/gravy mix, stop when it's just a bit thinner than you want. it always thickens up more by the time you get to eating it
if you're short on time, you can keep it on high longer to speed up cooking, but i believe the flavors blend better on a slower/lower temp cook
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I like tenderized venision, chicken fried the way mom used to do it. Second was my mom's deer chili. Mom has been gone 10 yr's and I do a pretty good imitation of her chicken fried steak and my sister doe's her old chili pretty good " but she won't give up the recipe ". Third would be the deer sausage the way me my dad and brother do it. Fourth would be just just about anything else posted on this thread, they all sound good.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Easy to make - great weeknight meal...
Mexican-Style Goulash

Ingredients:
1 lb ground venison (turkey, beef or pork work too)

2 cloves minced garlic

1 cup chopped onion

1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained

1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

1 (14.5 oz) can of “Mexicorn” or any other canned corn

1 small can chopped chillies

½ cup water

½ tsp pepper

1 ½ tsp chili powder

1 tsp dried oregano

½ tsp salt

1 tsp cumin

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni

1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (reduced fat works well)

Cook ground meat, garlic and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.  Stir in all remaining ingredients except for the elbow macaroni and the cheese.
Bring to a boil.  Add the macaroni.
Reduce heat to low/little above low; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Check around 20 min mark - If there is a lot of liquid left, uncover and leave off for the last five minutes.  Make sure macaroni is tender, but not overdone at the 20 minute mark.
Mix in the cheese until melted.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:42:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: punch83] [#41]
From Outdoor Life Magazine: Had this last night minus the potatoes. Best venison I have ever tasted. I'm glad my GF loves to cook. The kids even like it.

Grilled Drunken Venison Chops with Pommes Frites
(serves 4–6)

Ingredients
» 8 double-cut loin chops (remove sinew from eye of meat)
» 1 cup Stag’s Leap Cabernet Sauvignon (reserve remainder of bottle for drinking)
» 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
» 1 Tbs. cracked black pepper
» 1⁄2 cup olive oil
» 1 large shallot, peeled and minced
» 2 sprigs thyme, cleaned
» 1 Tbs. crushed juniper berries
» Pinch-plus of Kosher or sea salt
» 2 cups blended olive/vegetable oil
» 2–3 Idaho potatoes, washed and sliced lengthwise into 1⁄4-inch wedges and patted dry
» Sea salt

Directions
Loin Chops
1. Whisk together wine, garlic, pepper, olive oil, shallot, thyme and juniper berries for marinade. (Do not include salt!) Place chops and marinade together in large dish, making sure to coat meat thoroughly on all sides. Refrigerate a minimum of 2 hours or up to 12 hours, turning meat several times.
2. Preheat grill to ensure that chops will be nicely seared. (The best fire for cooking is natural charcoal, but gas will do.)
3. Wipe excess marinade off chops before placing chops on grill to avoid flare-ups from olive oil (and chipped teeth from juniper berries!). Turn over only once on grill to help get nice grill marks.
4. When you’ve reached your favorite doneness for venison (preferably no more than medium), pull chops from grill. Let rest to set juices (5–8 minutes). Sprinkle with sea salt.

Pommes Frites
1. Heat oil slowly in deep sauté pan over medium-high heat. Look for heat waves rippling across surface oil, or test a small piece of potato before adding all fries. (Oil that is too hot or too cold is your enemy—the ideal temperature is 425 degrees.)
2. Gently add potatoes to oil, browning on all sides to tender inside. Remove to baking screen or cookie sheet with paper towel and salt immediately.
Serve one or two loin chops per person with pommes frites, pour a glass of Stag’s Leap and enjoy!

Note: You can substitute any good-quality Cabernet Sauvignon for the Stag’s Leap in this recipe.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/whitetail-deer/game-prep-and-cooking/2010/11/perfect-venison?photo=6#node-1001335332
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#42]
BBQ Deer Shoulder:

1 Shoulder, JD BBQ Sauce (enough that you like it) and H20.

Drop the shoulder into a pot, cover in steak rub and BBQ sauce, fill up with H20 until it just covers the shoulder. Heat until boiling, let simmer for 3-4 hours and keep adding water. Before serving, pull it with a fork so that it's shredded and let it simmer until it's reduced to a sticky coating, then serve on hamburger buns. Fan-fucking tastic!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm a little late to the party, but I'll throw in anyway.

Take either tenderloins, backstraps, or a nice chunk of ham.

Cut it into strips about 6 inches long, and 2 inches around.

Marinate in Red Wine Vinegar, maybe some Worchesterchire sauce, and a little Italian Dressing for anywhere from 2 hours to 2 or 3 days.

Mix up your favorite seasoning, mine is Montreal Steak seasoning, Carribean Jerk, and a liberal amount of brown sugar.  

Pull the meat out of the marinade and dust with the seasoning mix.

Get your grill hot as hell.  

Throw the meat on the grill and count to about 45.

Flip and count to 45 again.

Remove from fire, and dust again *lightly* with the seasoning mix.

Enjoy.

On my grill, 45 seconds per side on the highest setting will sear the hell out of the outside, and leave the middle medium rare to rare.

For an extra kick, you can throw a liberal amount of tabasco in with the marinade, or wrap the meat in bacon.  Either way, or both works great!

This recipe always gets people to comment on the flavor.  The Red Wine Vinegar really adds to the flavor of venison, and helps to break down the muscle.  

This same recipe also works GREAT for pork backstraps, or tenderloins.

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I like to take some venison backstrap and butterfly sections into 1/2 inch thick pieces.  Then, I marinate the steaks overnight in some red wine, touch of soy sauce, and maybe a little garlic.  Before grilling, I sprinkle a little Montreal seasoning on both sides and grill no more than 4 minutes per side.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 9:37:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anglingarchitect] [#45]
Venison backstrap, a tasty doe,pan fried with pan gravy and Basmanti rice.

Ate gator on Sunday.

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:29:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: supremeweasel67] [#46]

Originally Posted By Anglingarchitect:

SNIP

Ate gator on Sunday.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/anglingarchitect/Gatorhead.jpg

Nice, How big was it? Where at?

Love some Smoked BBQ Gator

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#47]
9 footer, lake Jessup  in Central Florida.

Yummm!
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 12:52:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: supremeweasel67] [#48]
Headed to camp in 4 hours.

So last Thursday, I fire up the smoker.

If I am going to fire it up, I pile the meat in.

Did a pork tenderloin, a whole bunch of pork chops.

Of course they were in for different times.

But then, I remembered I had some deer steaks left over from last years kill. (need to clean out for this years deer)

They are all nicely tenderised. I use some McCormick's Kickin Chickin seasoning, a little Lea and Perrins Chicken Marinade, and into the smoker they go.

Smoking over some Mesquite chunks for 1:30 minutes.

I would open the smoker every 20-30 minutes ( I know), and spray with apple juice.

I had a water pan in the smoker full of water, apple juice and vinegar.

After 1:30 minutes they were AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Tender, Moist, and perfect flavor. Let some others try, and they thought it was great too.

I know that deer requires greater care when cooking, because it can dry out quickly, but I think this will become my favorite way instead of pan frying in oil with a cast iron skillet.

If you have never tried, give it a try.

ETA: Time to get the donuts.

I am off to get a Thurdy Pointer.................................................
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Mongolian Beef Venison

Package of venison chops or tenderloin
Scallions sliced diagonally
Couple garlic cloves chopped
Cooking oil
1 tsp Corn Starch
2 tbs Soy Sauce
2 tbs Teriyaki Sauce
2 tsp Oyster Sauce (taste good without this if you don't have it)

Cut the venison into thin slices.  
Mix the sauces and corn starch together.  
Put mixture and venison into a big zip lock bag and let marinate for at least half an hour.
Heat up some oil in a frying pan and saute the garlic for a couple minutes.
Mix in the venison and sauces, stir fry until nearly done, then stir in the scallions.
Add some salt as needed and enjoy.  

Be careful not to overcook the meat, the thin slices cook fast.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Axis Salsa Burger

*This recipe makes 6-8 burgers

What you’ll need:
1-2 lbs of ground Venison
1 Package of Lipton onion soup mix
1 Sm. jar of favorite Salsa

Preparation/Cooking:
1. Lay/spread out ground meat to approximately 1/2″ thick
2. Mix in onion soup mix and then spread meat out to 1/2″ thick.
3. Pour Salsa over 3/4 of meat and mix.
4. Take a medium handful of ground meat mixture and form into approximately 3/4″-1″ thick patty.
5. Cook and Enjoy!

*Bacon and Velveeta chunks can be added into meat mixture for a savory bacon cheese burger*
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Tacked Your Favorite Recipe (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top