Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked 223- Deer Hunting Rounds (Page 11 of 14)
Page / 14
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By leatherpuke:
went and tried to zero my new build with some deer ammo today..........luckily, my muzzle loader is still zeroed because I couldn't get a group with my AR to save my life.

Fired 20 rounds of regular old green tip just to make sure everything worked right. Just fucking around but I was still able to shoot decent groups at 50 yards.

Switched over to Nosler Defense .223 and wound up shooting 6-10 inch groups from a rest at 50 yards. Now, I'm no Carlos Hathcock but I was a marksmanship instructor and I shot competition for many years so I think I'm pretty good with an AR. I at least know how to shoot a damn group. This ammo just would.................not...............group.

16 inch barrel with 1/9 twist
Bushnell AR 1-4 X scope.

Worked great with green tip, wouldn't group with the spendy stuff.
View Quote

Remember each barrel has its own likes and dislikes.  Seems you found one it doesn't like.  Good luck hunting this year.

CD
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I hunt over near a friends house. He only goes out a couple times a season and usually brings his 11 year old out with him when they go. Thanks to family and friends "borrowing" his rifles he doesn't own one. He is looking to borrow something from me that his son could shoot easy enough if they are together. My go to rifle is my ruger gsr, and I hate to give it up but could.  I picked up a Rem 700 in 300blk but have yet to work up a load for it or use it yet, plus being a bull barrel I think it maybe a little heavy for him.  I just ordered some 62gr TTSX to make up some rounds with. I am thinking my light weight 16"  PSA upper with a 1-6 scope with those rounds may be just the trick. Though I have never shot deer with .223.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had nothing but one shot kills on deer with my 223
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By rufusleaking:
I hunt over near a friends house. He only goes out a couple times a season and usually brings his 11 year old out with him when they go. Thanks to family and friends "borrowing" his rifles he doesn't own one. He is looking to borrow something from me that his son could shoot easy enough if they are together. My go to rifle is my ruger gsr, and I hate to give it up but could.  I picked up a Rem 700 in 300blk but have yet to work up a load for it or use it yet, plus being a bull barrel I think it maybe a little heavy for him.  I just ordered some 62gr TTSX to make up some rounds with. I am thinking my light weight 16"  PSA upper with a 1-6 scope with those rounds may be just the trick. Though I have never shot deer with .223.
View Quote

That will be a fine setup for deer. I built a lightweight PSA gun for my girlfriend and built a nice lightweight gun for myself with a larue barrel and 1-6x for spot and stalk type hunts.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm going out to hunt Sitka Deer this weekend. I'll be using a New England Firearms Handi-Rifle with a 22 inch barrel and Federal Power Shok 64 gr ammunition.  The area I'm hunting won't allow mug beyond 75 yards, so I'm pretty confident that this will do the job as long as I do my part.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Zhukov:

There are a plethora of good bullets available finally.

Just 5 years ago, there was the Winchester 64gr PP or you had to load your own with the Sierra 65gr GK. Those were about your only bullet choices.
View Quote
75 grain Swifts..work nicely in a 1:7".

Well, you said "about".  And a Swift is about like a Berger or JLK in commonality.  But unlike those two, it is made for hunting.

Link Posted: 11/14/2015 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#7]
What's the longest deer kill you guys with 223's have done??
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
What's the longest deer kill you guys with 223's have done??
View Quote

About 75yds, closest was 15-20yds. I've killed hogs much bigger than deer past 200yds though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Shot one this afternoon with a 62gr Fusion. 125 yds from my 20" AR , heart shot.  Went about 25 yds and dropped dead. Heart was exploded, I'm impressed. First deer with a .233!
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mpgator:
Shot one this afternoon with a 62gr Fusion. 125 yds from my 20" AR , heart shot.  Went about 25 yds and dropped dead. Heart was exploded, I'm impressed. First deer with a .233!
View Quote

+1, same here- big doe about 100 yds, 62gr fusion .223 from 20" bbl. lung shot broadside, turned and ran about 20 yds before piling up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:04:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ozarkgunrunner] [#11]
Last Saturday, I killed my first deer with my AR15 in .223.  The barrel is 20” and the sight is a Aimpoint CompC3 red dot.  The first was a small doe that ran in front of me about 20 yards away.  I shot it and it piled up.  My second was a buck that came out of the woods in front of me at about 80 yards.  It was almost dark and I aimed at the chest.  When I shot, the deer turned and began slowly walking to it’s right.  I shot again and it fell over into a creek bed.  I only found one bullet and it was the one I put into the doe.  It weighed 33.3 grains and had expanded to well over twice it’s starting diameter.

This was my first time using the MSR Fusion bullet and I think it did pretty well.

I've chronographed both types of Fusion in a 20-inch AR15.  The five round average for regular Fusion was 2,850 fps.  The five round average for the MSR Fusion was 2,964 fps.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Shot a doe with the 62gr Fusion MSR this morning. About a 90yd double lung shot, she jumped and took a few steps and just stood there. I almost thought I missed until she got wobbly, turned to run and I saw the exit hole. She ran maybe 20yds and died. Her lungs were toast and both entry and exit wounds were impressive but there was no real blood trail.

I'll have to shoot some more to really make a judgment on this round.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:42:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eclark53520] [#13]
Loving these good reviews of the Fusion.  That's what my daughter will be slinging at deer this weekend.

Hopefully she can put her first deer on the ground.  I'll edit this post with my own review if she does.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Another success story with a fusion msr round. 14.5 barrel,  double lung shot, clean entry/exit wound. Ran 15 yards, laid down and expired. 40 yard shot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By clharr:
Shot a doe with the 62gr Fusion MSR this morning. About a 90yd double lung shot, she jumped and took a few steps and just stood there. I almost thought I missed until she got wobbly, turned to run and I saw the exit hole. She ran maybe 20yds and died. Her lungs were toast and both entry and exit wounds were impressive but there was no real blood trail.

View Quote

What barrel length did you use?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

18'' LaRue. The next one I shoot will either be with the same gun using Mk262 or a 16'' LaRue with the Fusion.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I tried some of that 62gr Fusion MSR based off of popularity here.  I took a doe with it yesterday morning using my 16" AR.  First shot wasn't the greatest and I feel bad...I was standing/shivering and had to use a monopod, so was slightly wobbly. (Had planned to rest on a hay bale, but she came from behind us.) I had calmed down pretty good by the time I shot (~100yd w/Vortex 1-4x).  I hit her, she jumped, but trotted a short distance and hopped the fence.

Figured she died on the other side, but saw her standing as we approached.  She ran a short ways and laid down.  My shot was thru the front shoulder, and clipped the lungs.  She would've died eventually, but I finished her off.

Dat second shot tho...  Ho-leee-hell.  It left a darn-near racquetball-sized exit hole with stuff hanging out about 8"!!!  OMG!  That's a potent round...when put in the right spot.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I just dropped a BIG doe last week using a nosler 64 grn bonded under 25.8 grn of CFE223. she ran about 35-40 yrds and dropped blood trail looked like a crime scene with blood spray waist high on the trees. 85 yrd shot through and through made a mess of her lungs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Soooooo I am looking at my new Mk18 and thinking man would it be fun to shoot a deer with this thing. I have a box of 55gr Hornady soft points. Will these work on normal broadside shots. Will they leave a bold trail or am I shooting in the neck? Anyone have experience with this ammo?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#20]
^ Only thing I'd be concerned with is what velocity you'll get out of the short barrel.  I'm not an expert at all, but that'd be my primary concern.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Dropped my first deer with Hornady 75gr out of 14.5" DD bbl @ about 40yd
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 11:02:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: leatherpuke] [#22]
</a>" />
</a>" />

After a rough year with lots of frustration I finally dropped this little guy and put some meat in the freezer. Only my third deer ever.

Nosler defense .223 ( I posted earlier about not being able to get it to group but I eventually got it figured out.

Went through a rib, the right lung, the right atrium of the heart, the left lung, another rib, and kept going. Chest cavity was full of blood and had lots of lung and heart chunks floating around in it. He went about 20 yards and dropped. Range was only about 50 feet, he popped out right in front of me.

PSA budget build with a generic 1/9 barrel and a KAW precision muzzle break. Bushnell AR 1-4X scope on a generic mount.

Total build cost was about 500 bucks, all new parts. ( thanks PSA black Friday sale last year!) And the EE.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Shot a 114 lb (dresserd, 130 inch rack) 5 1/2 year old 8 point today with a Barnes 62 gt ttsx out of a Ruger American Ranch (1/8 twist 556). He was about 70 yards out slightly quartering away with left side facing me. Waited for the left leg to be forwarded and landed the Barnes behind the left shoulder. The bullet did not exit, but the far side shoulder was mush. The buck dropped in his tracks, made one kick, got stiff, and died in 15 seconds (may have been shorter or longer...I can't tell time during an adrenaline dump). Performance was OUTSTANDING! The bullet would have easily exited on a broadside shot if placed in the same spot (behind shoulder) based on the force the bullet was packing when it slammed into the off side shoulder. I would not have hit the shoulder if he was straight broadside, but I like the slightly qartered shot.

1/3 of the left lung was mush, 1/3 of the heart was missing, and the front of the right side lung was thrashed. He dropped because the bullet turned that shoulder into mush, but even without that he would have dropped quickly. Only downside was the entrance did not leave any blood initially, until the deer was laid down on the entrance side.

I love the 556 Barnes ttsx for deer sized game inside of 150 yards, but I'm sure it would work out further if placed in the right spot. Downside - tracking can be tough due to lack of blood trail.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BluesNBBQ:
Shot a 114 lb (dresserd, 130 inch rack) 5 1/2 year old 8 point today with a Barnes 62 gt ttsx out of a Ruger American Ranch (1/8 twist 556). He was about 70 yards out slightly quartering away with left side facing me. Waited for the left leg to be forwarded and landed the Barnes behind the left shoulder. The bullet did not exit, but the far side shoulder was mush. The buck dropped in his tracks, made one kick, got stiff, and died in 15 seconds (may have been shorter or longer...I can't tell time during an adrenaline dump). Performance was OUTSTANDING! The bullet would have easily exited on a broadside shot if placed in the same spot (behind shoulder) based on the force the bullet was packing when it slammed into the off side shoulder. I would not have hit the shoulder if he was straight broadside, but I like the slightly qartered shot.

1/3 of the left lung was mush, 1/3 of the heart was missing, and the front of the right side lung was thrashed. He dropped because the bullet turned that shoulder into mush, but even without that he would have dropped quickly. Only downside was the entrance did not leave any blood initially, until the deer was laid down on the entrance side.

I love the 556 Barnes ttsx for deer sized game inside of 150 yards, but I'm sure it would work out further if placed in the right spot. Downside - tracking can be tough due to lack of blood trail.
View Quote

I noticed that too. Through and through lung shot and it left a blood trail that looked like a kid with a bloody nose left it. He was full of blood in his chest cavity but not much made it out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Shot a doe using a MK262 clone ammo today. Left a huge blood trail, much better than the Fusion MSR I used on the last one. Both ran about the same distance and died within sight so I guess it doesn't make much difference. I have a bunch of the Fusion so I'll give it a few more tries.

I continue to be impressed with how 223 performs compared to the bigger calibers that I've used.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Shot a doe using a MK262 clone ammo today. Left a huge blood trail, much better than the Fusion MSR I used on the last one. Both ran about the same distance and died within sight so I guess it doesn't make much difference. I have a bunch of the Fusion so I'll give it a few more tries.

I continue to be impressed with how 223 performs compared to the bigger calibers that I've used.
View Quote

Is venison all you eat? Damn...I shot a big buck on opening day this year and I dressed and butchered it myself, and I will have venison to last me all year if I eat it every other week. With the number of deer you shot, you must have a walk in freezer or something to store it all in.

Jealous of the pig shoots. Would love to take a pig, but there's jack-shit in MI.....and definitely none around the SE region that I have heard of.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Stazi:

Is venison all you eat? Damn...I shot a big buck on opening day this year and I dressed and butchered it myself, and I will have venison to last me all year if I eat it every other week. With the number of deer you shot, you must have a walk in freezer or something to store it all in.

Jealous of the pig shoots. Would love to take a pig, but there's jack-shit in MI.....and definitely none around the SE region that I have heard of.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stazi:

Pretty much. I buy chicken and the occasional pork roast or ribs at the store. I may buy one or two beef roast a year but yeah venison almost every day. I haven't bought burger in years. Before this doe I had 107lbs, I really need around 200lbs or more to make it through the year and that's being frugal. Plus I give it away as Christmas presents to family and friends.

I may shoot one more here and then as many as I can with management tags on two other places if everything works out. I still need a few hogs and hopefully a turkey or two.

One thing to remember though is our deer are much smaller than they are up north. A big buck here is 150-200lbs live weight. I got 47lbs of burger from my buck plus the backstraps and tenders. 200lb+ hogs far outnumber 200lb deer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#28]
5.56/223

http://youtu.be/fX4ODh1g4eM

Damn good enough!  Vaporizes the lungs. The insides. Looks like an atomic bomb going off inside.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#29]
This is awesome. i have been planning a deer hunt with a couple of friends and this thread will sure be useful to me. Thanks a lot guys.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I just ordered a 50 rd box of Asym 70gr TSX ammo for deer hunting this year. The idea is to hunt suppressed so I don't have to wear ear pro (I know it's still loud, but I'm only firing 1 round). From what I gather, the 70 gr TSX is sufficient for deer given good shot placement. I will keep distances under 100 yards for them. That being said, I also have a bear tag and bear season is sometimes concurrent with deer season. What are your thoughts on 70 gr TSX on black bear? They don't get particularly large in my area, but they are still tougher than the deer.

Also, has anyone tried the ASYM load? I wanted the Barnes Vor-TX but it was out of stock everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#31]
What is the current recommended factory round for use in 1-12" twist rate for deer and hog?
My Rem 700 shoots the old Remington 55gr Soft Point very well out to 200 yards but I'm not sure it will hold together on deer or hog.
I'm thinking anything under 60gr should be stable except maybe TSX loads.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By yobo:
What is the current recommended factory round for use in 1-12" twist rate for deer and hog?
My Rem 700 shoots the old Remington 55gr Soft Point very well out to 200 yards but I'm not sure it will hold together on deer or hog.
I'm thinking anything under 60gr should be stable except maybe TSX loads.
View Quote

Have you checked the accuracy of your rifle with standard 60-64gr ammo?  If those don't work, then you might consider trying a 53 or 55gr Barnes which should be stable from a 1:12.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tsx/
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#33]
My son has good results with 64gr Gold Dots in his 1:12 CZ.

If yours won't stabilize that, I would try the 55gr Gold Dot.  I have a bunch here, but haven't put any on flesh yet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Link not working!!!

5.56/223

Damn good enough!  Vaporizes the lungs. The insides. Looks like an atomic bomb going off inside.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone use the federal tactical bonded 62g SP?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:16:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DallasLooterShooter] [#36]

Link not working!!!

View All Quotes

Link not working!!!

5.56/223

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX4ODh1g4eM&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone using a shoulder shot on deer with the 223? Does it destroy the shoulder and drop them??
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone using a shoulder shot on deer with the 223? Does it destroy the shoulder and drop them??
View Quote

As long as you use a proper bullet and not one designed for varmints.

CD
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I've got a SS 16" 1/7 from PSA I will likely be hunting with this year.  Ammo recommendations for that setup?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Towely:
I've got a SS 16" 1/7 from PSA I will likely be hunting with this year.  Ammo recommendations for that setup?
View Quote

I'm going to use Speer Gold Dot 64gr in that same barrel and one in 18" barrel this year.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

Was there a secondary detonation during the sequence?
View All Quotes

Link not working!!!

5.56/223

Was there a secondary detonation during the sequence?

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#42]

I'm going to use Speer Gold Dot 64gr in that same barrel and one in 18" barrel this year.
View All Quotes

Have you fired any out of your 16" yet on the range?   If so what kind of accuracy were you getting?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Have you fired any out of your 16" yet on the range?   If so what kind of accuracy were you getting?
View All Quotes

I've shot about 100 round through mine now and I'm getting good groups and 100% reliability.
Out of the free floated 16" barrel (lightweight pencil barrel) I'm getting just under 1" group (5 shots) from 70 yards.
This is shooting with scope turned up to 6X and shooting the rifle braced on the back of a camp chair.    
I haven't had the time to do a formal longer range accuracy check yet but with solid bench I expect I'll get 1MOA or slightly better.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

I have a SS 16" 1/8 from PSA and took a smallish Texas deer DRT at 200y with a HSM (Hunting Shack Munitions) 55gr soft point.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:47:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Towely] [#45]
General rule of thumb is fewer grains on a tighter twist, correct?

View Quote

I have a SS 16" 1/8 from PSA and took a smallish Texas deer DRT at 200y with a HSM (Hunting Shack Munitions) 55gr soft point.
View Quote

This stuff right here?  Not a bad price...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Tighter twist for longer, heavier bullets.

Once you go over about 69-70 grains you need a 1/7 twist.  55's can handle a 1/12 but it will most likely keyhole the heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By glock23c:
Tighter twist for longer, heavier bullets.

Once you go over about 69-70 grains you need a 1/7 twist.  55's can handle a 1/12 but it will most likely keyhole the heavier bullets.
View Quote

1/8 twist should be able to handle pretty much any 223/556 round up to 77 grains.    I have some 1/9s that seems to handle 75 grains just fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Yep, that's the stuff.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#49]
I filled my 2016 Idaho deer tag this morning, (opening day), using my 16" LWRC upper, 1:8 twist, with a Speer Gold Dot 64 grain SP.
Optic is a Vortex Strike Eagle with the battery removed to satisfy the Idaho F&G rule.
100 yards, took out the right front shoulder, on 250 LB, 6x4 mule deer.
He did go about 75 yards, but then fell off a ledge and the recovery was about 6 hrs, because as a 61 year old retired guy, I should not hunt by myself, ( so my wife says).

I don't mind being done the first day, it just allows me more time to concentrate on getting an Elk, which starts next Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the great info in this thread.

I ordered some Fusion MSR to hunt with this season out of my 16", it should be here by Monday.

If I score one, I will post about the rounds performance.  
Page / 14
Tacked 223- Deer Hunting Rounds (Page 11 of 14)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top