Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, broke my cherry, but I had to do it with my PC and then smartphone with Dudestar/Droidstar.  

Was fun, but makes me sad I couldn't find any repeaters for my Anytone (and no hotspot yet, OpenSpot3 on backorder)
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can I do vocal CW by just saying dah dit dah    dit    dah dah dah dah dah..................    over my HT?

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Lol, kind of disappointed you didn't.

Maybe a better way is to PTT while you're sending through an oscillator.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, broke my cherry, but I had to do it with my PC and then smartphone with Dudestar/Droidstar.  

Was fun, but makes me sad I couldn't find any repeaters for my Anytone (and no hotspot yet, OpenSpot3 on backorder)
View Quote

Clean signal. Surprised there's NO DMR repeaters in your AO?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Great net 2nite. 12+1

Good luck to the exam takers!

To the New Generals...

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Rural central Florida, all the DMR repeaters "near" me are just out of range of the Anytone unless I want to stand on the roof or something.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Rural central Florida, all the DMR repeaters "near" me are just out of range of the Anytone unless I want to stand on the roof or something.

View Quote

Copy that. There's a couple here within range, but just use hotspots for the most part anyway. Maybe a higher gain vertical outside antenna would get you in there?

This cheapo has been solid.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:Clean signal. Surprised there's NO DMR repeaters in your AO?
View Quote
Wow! do you really have a TGIF network repeater hear you? I've haven't heard of anyone that actually has one near them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow! do you really have a TGIF network repeater hear you? I've haven't heard of anyone that actually has one near them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Clean signal. Surprised there's NO DMR repeaters in your AO?
Yeah, I have a few DMR repeaters in ky area too but nothing on TGIF. Which sucks because that seems like it's where all the interesting talk groups are.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, we have a TGIF on a local repeater.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Another option but you'll likely fry your rubber ducky!

DMR capable amplifier
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, we have a TGIF on a local repeater.
View Quote
That's great. I have a repeater on Brandmeister. I looked into putting it on TGIF but TGIF is in it's infancy right now. To hook a repeater up to TGIF I have to have a HBLink interface run with a Raspberry pie. Whereas right now it directly connects to Brandmeister through it's installed IP network card. Another $100 for a hobby. I realize it's socially forward to give back, but can only give so much.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#12]
The local repeater on TGIF is static, anyway. Unless you want to be active on TG 31665, a hotspot is way more versatile.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Geezus... literally two days (minus sleep time) of messing around with this since the pi-zero showed up on Saturday. I *think* I am finally operational - at least according to observations and Parrot successes. No one was on ARFCOM to verify before I finally shut everything down.

I may try tweaking my BER, but I'm ok for now (+-0.2) I'll post some particulars on my set-up later because I think I found a couple stumbling blocks that I didn't find answers to on the web. I am going to chill a bit for now...
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Geezus... literally two days (minus sleep time) of messing around with this since the pi-zero showed up on Saturday. I *think* I am finally operational - at least according to observations and Parrot successes. No one was on ARFCOM to verify before I finally shut everything down.

I may try tweaking my BER, but I'm ok for now (+-0.2) I'll post some particulars on my set-up later because I think I found a couple stumbling blocks that I didn't find answers to on the web. I am going to chill a bit for now...
View Quote

Have we QSOd yet?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have we QSOd yet?
View Quote

I wouldn't answer that with a "yes." But yeah, I checked in a few weeks ago with DroidStar. Since my last post, I have made a few contacts on this net, and on the other 556 talkgroup (FCS maybe?) I think I am good to go now - I made a couple ARFcom contacts that verified I was getting in, and getting out, then returning without being lost in digital la la land.

I am not a retarded old guy, but this was an interesting challenge, which I enjoyed fighting with. I am pretty positive that I can get on the net check-in at will, thank god! Lol.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wouldn't answer that with a "yes." But yeah, I checked in a few weeks ago with DroidStar. Since my last post, I have made a few contacts on this net, and on the other 556 talkgroup (FCS maybe?) I think I am good to go now - I made a couple ARFcom contacts that verified I was getting in, and getting out, then returning without being lost in digital la la land.

I am not a retarded old guy, but this was an interesting challenge, which I enjoyed fighting with. I am pretty positive that I can get on the net check-in at will, thank god! Lol.
View Quote

Well, I'm not that old at least.

A lot of the digital stuff has a steep learning curve, like you said, it's a challenge to get it all working together.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Net report 2/18- 13 check-ins. Great to hear yall. 73
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I was so excited that I was actually hearing anything at all that I forgot to check in!  Using Droidstar to see if this DMR thing is something I might want to get the gear for. Although I would need a spot as we only have Brandmeister here on the repeaters.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
...Using Droidstar to see if this DMR thing is something I might want to get the gear for...
View Quote

Break out your wallet, brother, because I said that two weeks ago..."
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone monitoring the 556 talk group?  I'm tuning my hotspot and need to test.

Thanks!

DFM
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone monitoring the 556 talk group?  I'm tuning my hotspot and need to test.

Thanks!

DFM
View Quote

I'm monitoring now if you still need help.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Obligatory net-night bump.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Are we on?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Ugh, looks like my hotspot is down.  No wonder I can't hear anything.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you for providing me the opportunity to be NCS
tonights net topic was what is your favorite handgun
for checkins this week we had a total of 11
I thank everyone who took time out of their busy schedule to checkin
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great net...Thanks for running it, and nice choice of topic!

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good job running the net.  Everything went nice and smooth.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone around the talk group? I just got my Anytone in and finishing up programming. Want to see if it works.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'll fire it back up for a min.
View Quote
Ok Bout to call.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm there.
View Quote
Anything? I've called a few times.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nada.
View Quote
Yeah, found some programming issues. Back to the drawing board. Had the bandwith still set to wide from programming VHF stuff. It's writing to the HT now if you can stand by just a second.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:48:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yeah, found some programming issues. Back to the drawing board. Had the bandwith still set to wide from programming VHF stuff. It's writing to the HT now if you can stand by just a second.
View Quote

@ManiacRat461 - use the Parrot talkgroup, 9990.  Whatever you transmit into it will be played back to you after you unkey.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@ManiacRat461 - use the Parrot talkgroup, 9990.  Whatever you transmit into it will be played back to you after you unkey.
View Quote
Yeah tried that. There's some issue. I'm using a hotspot. PiStar dashboard shows me transmitting but nothing makes it out. I also am not receiving anything.

So the HT is connecting to hotspot. But either the hotspot isn't making it out or something is wrong in the programming.

The hotspot works though, I've been using it on Dstar for a while now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Post a screenshot of the admin screen, please.

Are you trying to keep both DSTAR and DMR working at the same time?  If so, try disabling the DSTAR bit while you work with DMR.  It can be a bit finicky trying to do both.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Post a screenshot of the admin screen, please.

Are you trying to keep both DSTAR and DMR working at the same time?  If so, try disabling the DSTAR bit while you work with DMR.  It can be a bit finicky trying to do both.
View Quote
I did at first but I then turned off Dstar.

Before I do that and have all my info out there, the only thing I can find is I didn't do a scan list. I saw one page where it said it was optional. Then saw another where it's required.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Give me a few minutes and I'll fire up my hotspot to listen for you...

You can also pull up Active talkgroup to see if you're breaking in. Scroll the page and look for the talkgroup - it will show who is connected (not always accurate, but is helpful. The Active Talkers is harder to track because it can refresh pretty quickly when busy.

Use the Dashboard and the TGIF page to corroborate what's going on.

Edit: I'm on...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Ok. I'm at work. But had some downtime to kinda research this. I've rewatched some BridgeCom videos.

I think my radio is good. I think it's my hotspot. I'm going to recheck my settings there. Reason I say this I check the Brandmeister network page and my hotspot is not there. And I know I left it going last night when I finally went to bed. So it should be showing up. So I'm gonna check my settings again and see what's up.

ETA: I'm lost. I have set it up EXACTLY like the video from BridgeCom and nada. I had it the old way. Nada. I dunno.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey DMR ARFCOMmers!

Tonight at 2100 EST is this week's ARFCOM net over on the TGIF ARFCOM talk group (556). I'll be the acting net control station tonight, and I intend to continue the tradition of asking a question of the week.

This week's question will be on one of the gun control bills that has been put forward for consideration the US House of Representatives, HR8, the so-called "Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2021" . (See full text at: https://www.congress.gov/117/bills/hr8/BILLS-117hr8ih.xml)

So, during the check-ins, I'll be invited all participants who care to comment on this bill to chime in about whatever they like or dislike about the bill. It's optional, of course, and I won't put anyone on the spot, but I want to encourage everyone to discuss it. Your call.

My hope in doing this is to help everyone be informed about HR8 and to share opinions on it with our group.

So, please consider reading the bill and coming to the net ready to discuss. It's a short read and it's something that impacts all gun owners in the USA.

See y'all tonight on TGIF/556.

73 de K0RvW

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Give me a few minutes and I'll fire up my hotspot to listen for you...

You can also pull up Active talkgroup to see if you're breaking in. Scroll the page and look for the talkgroup - it will show who is connected (not always accurate, but is helpful. The Active Talkers is harder to track because it can refresh pretty quickly when busy.

Use the Dashboard and the TGIF page to corroborate what's going on.

Edit: I'm on...
View Quote

It's easier to track the talkgroup using the search bar at the top, and just punch in arf.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Good net last night (2021-03-04). Thanks to all who participated. It was my first time as net control, so I really appreciate everyone's patience.

How did you like our focus topic? (House Bill 8, which would mandate universal background checks for all firearm sales in the USA.) Too formal? Too informal? I think we had some great discussions around the topic and I'm grateful to all who were willing to share their opinions.

One procedural note: I skipped over a couple of "short time" stations when I asked for comments around the group. I hope the short timers didn't mind. I'll explicitly ask y'all to say whether you have time for a quick check-in in future nets.

Thanks all.

Looks like we had 14 check-ins total. (I edited this post to remove callsigns, FYI. I've left my own in...)

73 de K0RvW
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good net last night (2021-03-04). Thanks to all who participated. It was my first time as net control, so I really appreciate everyone's patience.

How did you like our focus topic? (House Bill 8, which would mandate universal background checks for all firearm sales in the USA.) Too formal? Too informal? I think we had some great discussions around the topic and I'm grateful to all who were willing to share their opinions.

One procedural note: I skipped over a couple of "short time" stations when I asked for comments around the group. I hope the short timers didn't mind. I'll explicitly ask y'all to say whether you have time for a quick check-in in future nets.

Thanks all.

73 de K0RvW

View Quote

Great job and thanks again for running the net! In your number, also add LOL--he made it in at the end...

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll try to make it next week. Was unavailable last night.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Listened for a bit, didn't call, I don't really want to have timeout length discussions about things no one will change their minds about anyway.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Listened for a bit, didn't call, I don't really want to have timeout length discussions about things no one will change their minds about anyway.
View Quote

A fair concern, IMHO. My aim in focusing on HR8 wasn't so much to change minds, but to share knowledge and opinions. If there is anyone on ARFCOM who supports universal background checks, I'd be pretty surprised.

A secondary benefit was to help us share discussion points for when we hear UBCs brought up in conversations among those who don't know or understand what they mean.

In any case, thanks for sharing your concern.

73 de K0RvW
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'll try to make it next week. Was unavailable last night.
View Quote

We'll leave the light on for ya.

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top