Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea if I have this thing setup right. I have not heard anyone. On any talk group. I am an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no idea if I have this thing setup right. I have not heard anyone. On any talk group. I am an idiot.
View Quote

Are you trying to program your hotspot for TGIF?

Did you get a TGIF login and get some directions on setting up the hotspot for the TGIF network?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Did you get a TGIF login and get some directions on setting up the hotspot for the TGIF network?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got it reliably working at about 11pm last night.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Can I use a Baofeng DMR radio to check into this net?
I have a new radio in a box, just because, however I do not know anything about DMR.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can I use a Baofeng DMR radio to check into this net?
I have a new radio in a box, just because, however I do not know anything about DMR.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
View Quote

You will need to be within range of a DMR repeater capable of reaching the TGIF talk group (odds are slim to none) or a hotspot setup to access the talk group via an internet connection.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
What talk group is this on?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Of course
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

I’m cracking this bottle open for Scott.

Attachment Attached File

One of my USAF K9 training days back in 1982.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#9]

If there was ever a perfect post to sum up the net, this was it.

Enjoy that in good health. I'm sticking to the Bulleit 95 Rye tonight.

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Any net that results in posting photos of bourbon and dogs can't be all bad. Like raindrops on roses...

Cheers,

KRvW

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Ah, a Bulleit rye guy. Nice.

Tried any Whistlepig?

Oh, and the highest achievement of a rye, IMHO, is a well constructed and perfectly served Sazerac -- the one true cocktail.

There may or may not be one served here when the yardarm drops at 2 bells of the first dog tonight. Laissez les bon temps rouler, mes amis!

Cheers,

KRvW

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]

lol

Last night was a rough one..
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Ugh. Sorry I was late to the party last night. Time slipped away from me. I blame it on Jack (RYAN, not DANIEL).

Good discussion, though. That Nashville bodycam video should be required viewing, IMHO. I salute those guys. No doubt, their decisive action saved many additional lives. Hats off!

FYI, I'll probably miss next week's net, as we're doing the Easter weekend family stuff. Back to a normal schedule the week after that.

Thanks Tom.

Cheers,

KRvW

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#14]
She’s just a little thing, I don’t know much about it, the manual is copyright 1999 so it’s well over twenty years old

Attachment Attached File

Nice net tonight!
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
She’s just a little thing, I don’t know much about it, the manual is copyright 1999 so it’s well over twenty years old

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359275/E6B2A35F-5816-4193-B03A-AF3B3511D825_jpe-2773326.JPG

Nice net tonight!
View Quote

Nice score. I'd rock that little rig in a heartbeat. The age is fine, my main 220MHz rig is a Yaesu RM-311 from the early 80's, works like new, but old enough that it didn't come with PL tones, I had to find the optional PL board for it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#16]
It's past due to put out an APB for @Keith1980

Hope all's good Keith.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]
im studying for my tech right now is there any way for me to just listen until i get my ham license?
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
im studying for my tech right now is there any way for me to just listen until i get my ham license?
View Quote

Hmmmmm. Good question. I dont know how I would do it, since I needed my call sign and DMR ID# to get a TGIF login.

@K9-Bob
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

By the rules, you'd need a valid callsign to get a valid DMR ID to get a TGIF security key. Valid by my definition is the callsign the FCC issued you and no one else's, of course.

For the most part, though you can get a around it, your callsign and/ or your DMR ID in your radio has to match the one in your hotspot to key it up. Based on those, your hotspot has to have a TGIF security key to connect to TGIF.

Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

TGIF is not linked to a traditional repeater; the only way to access it is through a hotspot. If it was hooked up to a traditional repeater in your area, and you had a DMR-capable radio, you could listen in. However that's not the case.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

All is good thanks for asking. Was out town for work and my work schedule has me starting earlier so I’m in bed before the net starts. I’ll try to check in short time as long as it’s ok with our current short time champion.
View Quote

That won’t be a problem, brother.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
So for some additional info on Discord, as I mentioned, here's a video summarizing the whole thing:

Here's an article about it:
https://ganker.com/discord-has-a-furry-pedophile-problem-2280/

They also have significant issues with grooming, including some servers where teens are groomed into transitioning or preyed upon.

Plus the owner/creator of Discord had an issue with previous platforms he made where he sold user data. That's what they do now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So for some additional info on Discord, as I mentioned, here's a video summarizing the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBgsteKp4I8

Here's an article about it:
https://ganker.com/discord-has-a-furry-pedophile-problem-2280/

They also have significant issues with grooming, including some servers where teens are groomed into transitioning or preyed upon.

Plus the owner/creator of Discord had an issue with previous platforms he made where he sold user data. That's what they do now.
View Quote

Yikes. Seems best to steer clear of that platform.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#25]
HF Mobile/ portable ops were brought up last net, so I thought I's share what has worked very well for running before this glorious sunspot cycle. I can vouch it's been been very durable after 3 seasons of ice/snow/ and heat being on a mag mount on a black SUV.   Notice the cost is a fraction of a Tarheel or ATAS, but it has to be adjusted manually when changing bands. It takes seconds to change bands, and if desired, a minute or two of adjusting the whip legnth for lowest SWR.

Opek Mobile HF Antenna

Strong as bull ;) mag mount

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#26]
We go live in 87 minutes...give or take a few
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#27]
If I connect to TG556 from a P25 reflector, is that the same talkgroup for this net?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If I connect to TG556 from a P25 reflector, is that the same talkgroup for this net?
View Quote

I do not think so.

It will have to be the TGIF Network talk group 556. It requires a TGIF login, DMR ID and all sorts of brain racking details
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I do not think so.

It will have to be the TGIF Network talk group 556. It requires a TGIF login, DMR ID and all sorts of brain racking details
View Quote

Yeah, I think I have all that. That's why I'm asking, I'm still really new to the digital side. I have my DMR ID in my hotspot, and I have the TGIF login info there, too. I just wasn't sure how the different modes (P25 vs DMR) act when using the same talkgroup. I think I have to configure my pi-star to use the TGIF network, though, if I want to get linked. Even though I can select the 556 talkgroup from my radio, if I'm connected to the BM or Pi-Star network I don't think I'll get in. I'm not sure, though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, I think I have all that. That's why I'm asking, I'm still really new to the digital side. I have my DMR ID in my hotspot, and I have the TGIF login info there, too. I just wasn't sure how the different modes (P25 vs DMR) act when using the same talkgroup. I think I have to configure my pi-star to use the TGIF network, though, if I want to get linked. Even though I can select the 556 talkgroup from my radio, if I'm connected to the BM or Pi-Star network I don't think I'll get in. I'm not sure, though.
View Quote

Just to be sure, you're using a DMR radio, and not a P25 radio?

Unless you've gone down the DMR Gateway rabbit hole, it won't work, unless your hotspot is configured to land on the TGIF network. Then manually dialing into the 556 talkgroup would work, assuming the digital contact is 556, it's a group call, and time slot is 2 (though the time slot is arguable to some).
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just to be sure, you're using a DMR radio, and not a P25 radio?

Unless you've gone down the DMR Gateway rabbit hole, it won't work, unless your hotspot is configured to land on the TGIF network. Then manually dialing into the 556 talkgroup would work, assuming the digital contact is 556, it's a group call, and time slot is 2 (though the time slot is arguable to some).
View Quote

No, I'm using a P25 (APX8000). I'm going to try with my XPR7550e, though. I did set my P25 host to 31665 - TGIF network, but I'm not sure if it's working the way I think it is.

What time slot should the TG be set to on the radio?

Edit: Got it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#32]
It would be one heck of a coincidence if that wasn't you ( a Texan on a 7550 ) wasn't who came in last night with a great signal.

Good to meet ya, J.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It would be one heck of a coincidence if that wasn't you ( a Texan on a 7550 ) wasn't who came in last night with a great signal.

Good to meet ya, J.

View Quote

I wasn't planning on doxxing myself in this thread but also wasn't expecting you (or anyone in the thread at that time) to be monitoring

I appreciate the warm welcome and friendly qso. Hopefully I'll catch you on the net next week.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Question for you experts.

I use the DroidStar app for DMR.  It has been quite a while since I joined the Thursday night activity.

Earlier this year, I got a new call sign.  A couple weeks ago, I logged into radioid.net and completed the request to update my call sign.  It has been completed and shows as approved with my new sign.

In the DroidStar app, I updated my call sign.  When I click connect, I get an error for Invalid DMR ID.

The ID matches what is in radioid.net.

When I requested the call sign update, it did say something about the talk group (or whatever the right term is) would need to get the call sign updated before it would work.

Anyone know how long it takes for this to happen or what else may be wrong?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Question for you experts.

I use the DroidStar app for DMR.  It has been quite a while since I joined the Thursday night activity.

Earlier this year, I got a new call sign.  A couple weeks ago, I logged into radioid.net and completed the request to update my call sign.  It has been completed and shows as approved with my new sign.

In the DroidStar app, I updated my call sign.  When I click connect, I get an error for Invalid DMR ID.

The ID matches what is in radioid.net.

When I requested the call sign update, it did say something about the talk group (or whatever the right term is) would need to get the call sign updated before it would work.

Anyone know how long it takes for this to happen or what else may be wrong?

Thanks.
View Quote

DroidStar checks DMR ID validity off of a locally stored list of DMR IDs (it doesn't check the current database in realtime through the internet). In DroidStar go to Settings > Update ID files. This will pull down the latest list of IDs that should contain your new ID.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

DroidStar checks DMR ID validity off of a locally stored list of DMR IDs (it doesn't check the current database in realtime through the internet). In DroidStar go to Settings > Update ID files. This will pull down the latest list of IDs that should contain your new ID.
View Quote

That worked.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Note the time change to 8 PM for the early risers, like me

@Stretchman
@Keith1980
@urbanredneck
@krvw

Etc etc ..
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Note the time change to 8 PM for the early risers, like me

@Stretchman
@Keith1980
@urbanredneck
@krvw

Etc etc ..
View Quote

Noted. I was trying to listen to the no-control net last thursday but had to turn it off
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Noted. I was trying to listen to the no-control net last thursday but had to turn it off
View Quote

Glad to see one customer is happy with the change. We aim to please around here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm in for tomorrow. 73
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm in for tomorrow. 73
View Quote

Good deal, 73.

also bump.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice meeting you on SSB net tonight.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nice meeting you on SSB net tonight.
View Quote

You as well! I meant to give you a report, you were 59 here..

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#45]
How long does the net normally last?
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How long does the net normally last?
View Quote

Roughly,

Summer ~ 30 minutes (fewer checkins)
Winter about an hour...other seasons somewhere in between.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Please be advised that on going sever maintenance caused tonight's disruption to the net.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Due to *possible* interference on the net, please IM me for the Talkgroup if you're interested in checking in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Next net topics...

Topic #1 TBD
Topic#2 - Gas masks, and NBC threat preps.
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top