BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I finally got the NC callsign but could not see him via SNR?  
Attempting to relay now via a station that can see him.

Thanks for the dude who tried to help me relay.....

not sure i know enough yet to relay correctly, but i see the NC now.
Crap, forget MSG in my message... will try again.....

View Quote

that was me. I dont know why it wasnt working
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

that was me. I dont know why it wasnt working
View Quote

Thanks for working on it with me!
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
About to be on in a few min to actively play radio. I will also be monitoring the arfcoms DMR group.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Big turnout tonight. Think I have 2-3 new stations in the log.

Still on and actively monitoring JS8 and Arfcomms on DMR.

Will be until 10:00est
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Big turnout tonight.

View Quote

Did you copy me okay? I got an "AGN" back from you and resent.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Did you copy me okay? I got an "AGN" back from you and resent.
View Quote

Yep in the log. First time was like 87% there. Just missed the carry model caliber
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Great turnout.

Lurker Fred   5903
Mach      G19
aaa777  G23
LT_beaker  G19 RMR
Nxbmxer m&p ver 2 9mm
Trigger happy 83 P365xl
Mareokuma
Sseagle(May have TX when RX your reply)
Red bird m&p9

I think we do have some hams running @arfcoms that are non members and non lurkers so just a FYI.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be curious what would happen with the non-member non-lurkers if we changed @arfcom to @arfcomm (like the TGIF group.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd be curious what would happen with the non-member non-lurkers if we changed @arfcom to @arfcomm (like the TGIF group.)
View Quote

Or the game of the week is leave a msg with XXXXXX arfcom station detailing your most recent bout with dysentery.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Due to possibility of storms tomorrow due to sally I’m going to sit out this week.

If others want to play have at it. I may get to play tomorrow afternoon. Just got to see what the weather is going to do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll have my station online all day, flash flooding here but no t-storms...
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Think I’ll be able to play after lunch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Gents,

In swampfox's absence I propose a different experiment/exercise.

Tired of having all the random traffic crap-up my display, I've set up on the 40M arfcom digi mode freq., 7114KHz (dial). My actual freq. is 7114KHz+1800Hz but remember its better not to match that or anyone else's offset. Running 300W into a modified half-square. My station is sending heartbeats every 30 minutes since this frequency is uncrowded. My reply to an "INFO?" is "ARFCOM". I should reply to @arfcom group calls.

While the stated purpose of staying on the main JS8 sub-band was to provide for relays, I don't know of anyone who accomplishes that with any regularity. So screw that noise!

Leave me a message in my inbox if you like and I'll report out on the results later.

eta: heatbeats are going out at 10 and 40 min's past the hour.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gents,

Tired of having all the random traffic crap-up my display, I've set up on the 40M arfcom digi mode freq., 7114KHz (dial). My actual freq. is 7114KHz+1800Hz but remember its better not to match that or anyone else's offset. Running 300W into a modified half-square. My station is sending heartbeats every 30 minutes since this frequency is uncrowded. My reply to an "INFO?" is "ARFCOM". I should reply to @arfcom group calls.

While the stated purpose of staying on the main JS8 sub-band was to provide for relays, I don't know of anyone who accomplishes that with any regularity. So screw that noise!

Leave me a message in my inbox if you like and I'll report out on the results later.

View Quote

Cool, I'll play de KB3***.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gents,

View Quote

Just about every week I get a relay or a msg stored on another station usually a arfcom station.

The main reason we stay on the JS8 freq is because of this like I have stated numerous times in the past.

If one wants to use JS8 on some random freq buy all means do but you are loosing 90% of the utility that JS8 provides. If using a random freq one might as well run Olivia or some other weak signal mode that does not have the networking features that JS8 gives.

After lunch I will have my station on the standard 40M JS8 freq for anyone who wants to check in.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Question for the week has Fall arrived in your AO yet?

Will be monitoring 40m beginning at 12:30 noon est.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just about every week I get a relay or a msg stored on another station usually a arfcom station.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well if it's "usually a arfcom station" then it really doesn't matter if we are all on a different freq. than the JS8 sub-band.

If one wants to use JS8 on some random freq buy all means do but you are loosing 90% of the utility that JS8 provides. If using a random freq one might as well run Olivia or some other weak signal mode that does not have the networking features that JS8 gives.
I 100% disagree. All we need are about 10 stations on the arfcom freq. and that'll be plenty good enough by itself, without having to sort through and filter all the non-arfcom traffic that I really don't care about.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#20]
@Dave_Markowitz I see your traffic no problem!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#21]
If you turn off @allcall and hb ack's you shouldn't have a lot of traffic showing up on your decoder window, only someone who is txing on your rx frequency.

I relay into SFO nearly every week, it's typically the only way I can reach him on 40m in the daytime. I bounce in through one of the midwestern stations. The relaying functions of JS8 are the part I like, esp being able to relay a msg and store it on the destinations inbox.

I find I have a lot of no-decodes and it's very unreliable and frustrating to actually have a QSO. If it would do error correction and get an ack before each block I'd like it a lot more but it would be slower. FT8 works so well as it will send the same block over and over waiting for the next msg in sequence before it proceeds. The priority that the JS8 algorithm places on 100% accurate block decoding is wrong in my opinion, give me 75% of the block and I can use my brain to figure out what they wrote. Two skipped decodes and I've now got no idea wtf you are talking about and I'll have to send you an agn? and wait another 3min.

If enough users were on 7114 JS8 would work fine, but without the pool of potential relays I'd rather use a different mode that is more reliable. Olivia with decent rx power can get out in the middle of a t-storm, flmsg can send directed messages, winlink is far easier to use for store/fwd esp if one of the stations has access to the internet.

I see next to no value in JS8 for an emcomm situation and reliability is a real downer for me as I want to like it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@Dave_Markowitz I see your traffic no problem!
View Quote

Cool, saw you as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you turn off @allcall and hb ack's you shouldn't have a lot of traffic showing up on your decoder window, only someone who is txing on your rx frequency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I should also see anyone sending to @ARFCOM and direct to me, regardless of frequency.

I find I have a lot of no-decodes and it's very unreliable and frustrating to actually have a QSO. If it would do error correction and get an ack before each block I'd like it a lot more but it would be slower. FT8 works so well as it will send the same block over and over waiting for the next msg in sequence before it proceeds. The priority that the JS8 algorithm places on 100% accurate block decoding is wrong in my opinion, give me 75% of the block and I can use my brain to figure out what they wrote. Two skipped decodes and I've now got no idea wtf you are talking about and I'll have to send you an agn? and wait another 3min.
I don't have any of those problems

If enough users were on 7114 JS8 would work fine, but without the pool of potential relays I'd rather use a different mode that is more reliable. Olivia with decent rx power can get out in the middle of a t-storm, flmsg can send directed messages, winlink is far easier to use for store/fwd esp if one of the stations has access to the internet.

I see next to no value in JS8 for an emcomm situation and reliability is a real downer for me as I want to like it.
JS8 performance is better than Olivia performance by 10dB, give or take depending on the sub-modes selected. I agree with you for messages longer than just a few words. But IMHO people are not using JS8 to its fullest potential by leveraging prosigns and brevity codes (published ones, not secret ones ). JS8 is also limited because Jordan seems philosophically opposed to including net-centric features like auto-deselect.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
JS8 performance is better than Olivia performance by 10dB, give or take depending on the sub-modes selected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
JS8 performance is better than Olivia performance by 10dB, give or take depending on the sub-modes selected.
I'd have to disagree with this point. On paper I'm sure you are correct as it's based on FT8. In practice I can decode at -15dB just fine in 15/600 and my JS8 drops blocks at positive dB levels all the time. My measuring stick is whether or not we can have meaningful qso. When so much information is encoded in a single block and it decides that there is a character mistake and pitches the whole thing it is a problem. I've had to use the left hand window to decode a qso before, I could see the entire block decoding and then disappear, never showing up in the middle window.

I should look up what the windows are named...

Quoted:
I agree with you for messages longer than just a few words.

At which point I could just use custom messages in WSJT-X FT8 if I wanted to single blocks one at a time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Up and on 40m with 2 in the log.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:At which point I could just use custom messages in WSJT-X FT8 if I wanted to single blocks one at a time.
View Quote
I've been making this exact point for years, and in my previous response as well!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll leave the rig tuned to 40m and check the log this afternoon.
View Quote

did you get any of my msgs last week in your inbox?
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#28]
This sums up JS8Call for me:

Attachment Attached File

Timing is good and SNR is 00, should have decoded.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This sums up JS8Call for me:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/68732/Capture_JPG-1595325.JPG

Timing is good and SNR is 00, should have decoded.
View Quote

Weird. I did receive your reply to my HB signal.

Timing better be good, my laptop is connected to a GPS receiver and I'm running NMEATime now. :)
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#30]
SFO sent me a txt and his decode looked just like mine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Weird. I did receive your reply to my HB signal.

Timing better be good, my laptop is connected to a GPS receiver and I'm running NMEATime now. :)
View Quote

Got you in the log. BTW.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Good copy, @Mach
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I cant see the nc and can't find a relay station that can see the nc tonight either.

I tried to relay off 2 stations that hear nc.

NC you finally popped up here at -13, I got an ACK!!
Band is getting better nc is +9.
now +11
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#34]
@swampfoxoutdoors

I broadcast out via @arf and @ your call sign....got no reply.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@swampfoxoutdoors

I broadcast out via @arf and @ your call sign....got no reply.
View Quote

@arfcom is the group name.

You can also just send me one direct to my call sign.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gents,

View Quote

@aa777888-2  Just sent.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Just sent an @arfcom a msg and got 2 acks. So, at least 2 people heard me!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@arfcom is the group name.

You can also just send me one direct to my call sign.
View Quote

Just sent to your call sign and @arfcom as well....
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Have moved to 80m for the rest of the night .
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Made it in tonight... ;)
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Net Results

Dave_m
Mach
Lurker
sseagle
NXbmxer JS8 and DMR check in
planemaker (the only none Fall check in)
slarti enjoyed the QSO
mareokuma

And 1 interloper
a DRR station

Guys just a FYI this will be my last regular week conducting the JS8 net. I would like to see this kept going, so if anyone is interested in taking the reins just send me a PM and I will update the OP. I still plan on participating and helping out as much as I can but I have other irons in the fire and this is no longer a priority to me. Whomever takes it over can run it however they see fit. If I have more than one interested I will let the interested parties get together and discuss how they want to do it. If no one is interested I will revert back to net control on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. 73
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top