Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I worked several stations up the Pacific coast on 12m and a bunch of east coast and mid-western states on 10m FT8 right after I gave up on 10m JS8. Based on 10m FT8 it was obvious that we were skipping over each other.

10-17m were all open this afternoon, I got about a dozen different DX stations all over South America on 12-17m and into HI on 12m.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We have never worked each other before (unless you one of my 4 or 5 js8 contacts I have ever made), I just wanted to try. I did and I failed, I need to go full SOTA or grab my full power radio and stick up a proper antenna. I got maybe 9 reads/decodes in an hour between 20 and 40.
View Quote

I was referring to NMBMXER 10m contact. Wish I could have worked ya. I’m on 40m now so give it a try. Will be there till late
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright, I have setup my radio on 40m. HB is turned on, spot, etc.  A snr? returned zip, but it is way early for 40m here out west.  I will be gone for a while, so just leaving here to run and see what I pick up.

ETA 1900h here and starting to see signals. SNR returned a -17 from Swampfox, and -10 from Nmbmxer plus another station.  Tried both a relay and direct.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I am on the air on 40M.

Calling CQ @ARFCOM
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am on the air on 40M.

Calling CQ @ARFCOM
View Quote

Give me a min and I will be up and running

Edit I’m up and going
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Give me a min and I will be up and running

Edit I'm up and going
View Quote

Calling.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Check in list.

NMBMXER on 10m and 40m
Resonance on 40
Lurker on 40
Cornsweat 40
And there was one more that I am missing

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I am going to QSY to 80m.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am going to QSY to 80m.
View Quote

Ok going to 80 JS8 or voice? I’ll go over to 80m JS8 if you want
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok going to 80 JS8 or voice? I'll go over to 80m JS8 if you want
View Quote

80m JS8.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

80m JS8.
View Quote

Not seeing you
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not seeing you
View Quote

Yeah, I think relative to my location you are in a dead zone. Thanks for trying.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, I think relative to my location you are in a dead zone. Thanks for trying.
View Quote

No problem.

Sorry for the confusion I thought you was camping this weekend and was taking the HF along. I maybe confused with someone else.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No problem.

Sorry for the confusion I thought you was camping this weekend and was taking the HF along. I maybe confused with someone else.
View Quote

No, you had it correct. I am /p up in Tioga County , PA. Posting from my phone.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, you had it correct. I am /p up in Tioga County , PA. Posting from my phone.
View Quote

Ok cool. My station is on 80m now if you want to try and ping it, leave a message or do some auto commands.  I’ll check it in the morning when I get up.

Enjoyed the chat.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm at my dads QTH and have his station operating and mine is running on auto, I'm been doing some 80m experiment between us, were approximately 120mi apart. He hears me around 0 in the afternoon and +9 at dusk. I'm returning 0db SNR's back. Will try again later tonight.

I thought I saw a station returning an arfcom snr? but they were several seconds off and I couldn't get it to decode. The drift was so much it wasn't showing up in the monitor but I could see it on the waterfall.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm at my dads QTH and have his station operating and mine is running on auto, I'm been doing some 80m experiment between us, were approximately 120mi apart. He hears me around 0 in the afternoon and +9 at dusk. I'm returning 0db SNR's back. Will try again later tonight.

I thought I saw a station returning an arfcom snr? but they were several seconds off and I couldn't get it to decode. The drift was so much it wasn't showing up in the monitor but I could see it on the waterfall.
View Quote

That was probably me. I am operating off grid. After seeing this I connected to my phone's hotspot to see if I could get a better time sync.

Time to get one of those little USB GPS dongles for time syncronization, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Eureka!

Got SNR reports from swampfoxoutdoors and  N4*** when I threw out an @ARFCOM SNR query. I bet timing is what impeded my efforts last night.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Eureka!

Got SNR reports from swampfoxoutdoors and  N4*** when I threw out an @ARFCOM SNR query. I bet timing is what impeded my efforts last night.
View Quote

I was on 20m most of the day and seen y’all post and swapped it to 80
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was on 20m most of the day and seen y'all post and swapped it to 80
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#21]
@Dave_Markowitz you had a very good signal down into VA. Enjoyed the short qso, have fun on the rest of your trip.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@Dave_Markowitz you had a very good signal down into VA. Enjoyed the short qso, have fun on the rest of your trip.
View Quote

Got ur msg. Was going to leave NMBMXER SR a msg but no ack when hit with a SNR.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I shut the station down, his IC703 is having issues with the mic gain pot and the output is wildly swinging between 0 and 100w, I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in auto as I was constantly having to jiggle the knob to keep the power constantish. Tomorrow I might take it apart and try and get contact cleaner in it. He has cataract surgery in 2wks and if it goes well and he regains his sight (went blind 2yrs ago) he's going to replace it with either a 7300 or 991a.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Likewise, nice QSO. Per your request, here are pictures of my antenna, made from aluminum welding wire and plastic knives for the spacers.

Center insulator:

Attachment Attached File

The feedline:

Attachment Attached File

The radiating elements are nearly invisible when up in the air, I could not get a decent picture of them.

My friends and I built and hoisted it over Memorial Day weekend and we are amazed that it's still up. Aluminum welding wire is not very strong. In speaking to a neighbor yesterday I learned that Tropical Storm Isaias skirted the area to the east. If that had hit the campsite there's no way it would have survived.

Yesterday morning I was able to use it to listen in on a couple ARES nets on 80M, one from NH and one from Western PA. I also heard a net from NE PA / SE NY. We measured SWR using a NanoVNA when it was constructed and it was resonant right around 3.5 MHz. I wouldn't be surprised if the resonant freq has dropped a little due to the wire stretching over the past couple of months.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Likewise, nice QSO. Per your request, here are pictures of my antenna, made from aluminum welding wire and plastic knives for the spacers.

Center insulator:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54763/center-insulator_jpg-1539271.JPG

The feedline:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54763/ladder-line_jpg-1539273.JPG

The radiating elements are nearly invisible when up in the air, I could not get a decent picture of them.

My friends and I built and hoisted it over Memorial Day weekend and we are amazed that it's still up. Aluminum welding wire is not very strong. In speaking to a neighbor yesterday I learned that Tropical Storm Isaias skirted the area to the east. If that had hit the campsite there's no way it would have survived.

Yesterday morning I was able to use it to listen in on a couple ARES nets on 80M, one from NH and one from Western PA. I also heard a net from NE PA / SE NY. We measured SWR using a NanoVNA when it was constructed and it was resonant right around 3.5 MHz. I wouldn't be surprised if the resonant freq has dropped a little due to the wire stretching over the past couple of months.
View Quote
I remember that thread! I didn't put 1 & 1 together until you posted the plastic knives.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

1. “Rule number 1, Party" As said by The Peanut Butter Falcon
View Quote

FIFY

Finally got to playing with this mode tonight.  Had it on my system for a while (version 1.0) but never used it.  Gotta say, I'm impressed with how durable it is.  Was in a QSO with a station in SD, 1100 miles away on 40M about 20 minutes ago.  While the mode is slow, it seems durable.  And when used to using Olivia 16-500 it's not too bad.  We made it to fast mode reliably.  Turbo gave dropouts, but still a very useful mode.  Hopefully I'll make it in to one of the nets.  I'm sure the XYL will appreciate another ham activity, hihi.

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Checked JS8 today on PSK. Thought this was a pretty cool image of how the network looks. Keep in mind with enough time one can tunnel there way thru all of the various stations show to get where they are going.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#28]
ok, back up and running on JS8.  Will try to check in this week.

I tried a couple @ARFCOMs and got a few responses on 40.  

I am running my 7200 now and its working well.  I tried my kx2 into the same antenna and my RX is extremely weak - even when the audio out is unplugged and the sound is coming out of the kx2's onboard speaker.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#29]
@LT_Beaker I'd had my station sitting on 80 from a experiment I did this weekend where I was communicating with my dad's station about 120 mi away. We are likely too close for 40m, if you pm me your callsign I'll relay a message to you from one of the stations we can both hear. I'd like try proactively using Pskreporter to pick a station vs an "@allcall hearing" command.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@LT_Beaker I'd had my station sitting on 80 from a experiment I did this weekend where I was communicating with my dad's station about 120 mi away. We are likely too close for 40m, if you pm me your callsign I'll relay a message to you from one of the stations we can both hear. I'd like try proactively using Pskreporter to pick a station vs an "@allcall hearing" command.
View Quote
I'll have to set back up this afternoon and I'll see what we can do.

I REALLY want to get this working on my kx2 so I've been swapping stuff in and out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Has anyone else seen strange signals in the JS8 waterfall? Sounds a lot like Winlink, I've even heard a CW id at the end before. Makes that digital warbling sound. I took a screencap this morning on 40m, was shorter than some of the other ones I've seen / heard:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Has anyone else seen strange signals in the JS8 waterfall? Sounds a lot like Winlink, I've even heard a CW id at the end before. Makes that digital warbling sound. I took a screencap this morning on 40m, was shorter than some of the other ones I've seen / heard:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/68732/Capture_JPG-1541620.JPG
View Quote

Yep I have seen it a number of times. Just thought it was PSK
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/68732/Capture_JPG-1541620.JPG
View Quote

I saw some of that the same night we had our QSO. I tried decoding it with PSKer on my iPhone but just got garbage. I would have tried Fldigi but it was acting weird on my laptop.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

On 80m tonight thru tomorrow morning then 40m all day.

Please leave a msg is the best way to check in.

Question for the net.
Do you play HF mobile?

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

3nmk
NMBMXER
Lurker 1
Lurker 2
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#36]

The first one in your list was me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The first one in your list was me.
View Quote

Cool I thought I had you added to the list on my JS8 guess not. Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Meant to post on here that I’m on 20m this morning and forgot. Will switch to 40m in a bit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#39]
20m seems closed, I've been sitting on 40m.

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
20m seems closed, I've been sitting on 40m.

View Quote

I’m been on 40 now for about a hour. So maybe we can get some contacts made. Sent out a msg to the @arfcoms group.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just sent an SNR? to @ARFCOM.

My digital modes are so rusty, for all I know I sent dimensions to the playmate of the month.
View Quote

I’d keep trying it as the evening go on. Seems like for me around 7-9pm 40 will go long.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't seem to connect with anybody this evening.

Fred the lurker sent some messages, if you see this your clock needs to be synced. I'm using https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable and it keeps my clock within 2ms or so, your drift was a little over a second which makes decoding you hard. Also your messages don't start with your callsign, not sure why.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I sent out an @arfcom SNR? and got back 2 replies on 40m just now. Anybody else on there?
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I sent out an @arfcom SNR? and got back 2 replies on 40m just now. Anybody else on there?
View Quote

Been playing for about a hour. Had a qso with a guy in Cali from Ga on 25w talked about the wild fires some.

I seen a number of stations poking around at @arfcom SNR. I didn’t have a number of them saved so no clue who is who.

Did see Fred the lurker quite a few times and did get NMBMXER msg.

Going to let it run on 40 a bit longer as it still seems to be open. May switch to 80m around 11:00 here and let it rock into the night .
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#48]
"Fred the Lurker" cracks me up, he should make that his screen name.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
"Fred the Lurker" cracks me up, he should make that his screen name.
View Quote

I told him the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I can't seem to connect with anybody this evening.

Fred the lurker sent some messages, if you see this your clock needs to be synced. I'm using https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable and it keeps my clock within 2ms or so, your drift was a little over a second which makes decoding you hard. Also your messages don't start with your callsign, not sure why.
View Quote

I use Meinberg but the service was just hosed up. I rebooted and my time re-synced.
Thanks for the heads up! I will check the Meinberg "Quick NTP Status" before I join the net next time.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top