[#1]
Band shifted and lost everyone
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm on 7.213 and hear:

WB0ALT - Weak
KB?SDF - strong to weak, lots of fading

The band dropped both of them at 00:57

I have no idea how things will go for a net on 40m.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I made contact with at least one of you! Couldn't copy the screen name, but it was a good copy while it lasted.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:01:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#4]
edit
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ohio_Sharkman:
I made contact with at least one of you! Couldn't copy the screen name, but it was a good copy while it lasted.
View Quote

That was me, It was like a light switch, you dropped off and then I heard about 8 stations start calling from 7/5/8 land. Heard the Gulf Coast station again then boom, NADA. Got to love HF.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Im unplugged, got a storm coming in
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I made a contact with one station who said my audio was low but still a contact is a contact. I was reading the mail with the Ohio station.

So tomorrow would you like to try another Freq? Maybe we can get something going here.

Let's talk about this.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone want to try another spot on 40?
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I was going to say me...but I'm not sure we'd have much luck.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:

That was me, It was like a light switch, you dropped off and then I heard about 8 stations start calling from 7/5/8 land. Heard the Gulf Coast station again then boom, NADA. Got to love HF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:

Very good contact at first, then nothing. I talked to another station after you, but not sure he was an Arfcommer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Still hearing a lot of strong signals.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:20:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ctrmass] [#12]
I'll try 7.213 for a few minutes

Heard something-something IVE in Wisconsin and an other guy in Acme, Michigan.

Nobody heard me....
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what we needed. Someone to step up and be net control. As a fairly new general I didn't want to over step.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjk] [#14]
And we are ON THE AIR!

LIVE ACTION!
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Reminder, no call signs posted without permission.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
View Quote

Please and thank you for not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I gotta say you can really understand the value of improved antennas in these nets. Its soooo much easier to listen to a strong station. As a guy running a station with several major compromises (sub optimal antenna in a low location with only 100w) I know that my signal might sometimes 'fatigue' the ears of those guys trying to hear me. Its a nice motivator to improve the antenna when its possible.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#18]

@aa777888-2  nice audio, you're just over my noise level

TS-590

Hustler 6BTV vertical.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I felt that!

Edited BTW
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried to check in but as soon as I un-keyed the mic I stopped hearing anything. NC was S9 until I transmitted.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you @aa777888-2 for a great net! My first SSB net!
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Apple123:
I made a contact with one station who said my audio was low but still a contact is a contact. I was reading the mail with the Ohio station.

So tomorrow would you like to try another Freq? Maybe we can get something going here.

Let's talk about this.
View Quote

I think that was me. I told a contact that their signal was strong but audio was low. Then the band took a dump and I couldn’t make contact anymore.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#23]

I got interrupted by my daughter, came back and the band is shifting.

been a while since I played SSB.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:
I gotta say you can really understand the value of improved antennas in these nets. Its soooo much easier to listen to a strong station. As a guy running a station with several major compromises (sub optimal antenna in a low location with only 100w) I know that my signal might sometimes 'fatigue' the ears of those guys trying to hear me. Its a nice motivator to improve the antenna when its possible.
View Quote

Agreed. I was surprised how bad my EFHW performed tonight, maybe that's why I don't spend much time on 40m? Long term I would love to install a 75' crank up, tilt over tower with a giant Step-IR antenna on top but I want to see if I stick with the hobby. So in the mean time will study less expensive alternatives.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aa777888-2] [#25]
Well, that was interesting. I jumped in on the frequency, 7213KHz, at about 2105EDT, expecting Gyprat to be net control, because he's got a boss station, and wound up being ad hoc net control

It was my honor and privilege to pick up the baton, and everyone exhibited exemplary behavior and patience as I rotated around the station list several times. Seriously, everyone did really, really great

In no particular order, checking in were: LTCetme, Ohio_Sharkman, cjk, SmilingBandit, NW7US and Derek45. We also had three other random non-arfcom stations.

I am running 500W into a 40M half square antenna up about 65ft, up here in the "upper right corner" of the country. Pretty much nobody could hear anyone but me, but I could hear everyone just fine, even though they were spread all over from Wisconsin to the Atlantic.

We only had one station running QRO. Everyone else was 100W, and everyone except me was running a low (=<30ft) antenna). It was an object lesson in that life starts at 50ft and that there is no substitute for cubic watts

73, everyone, fine job!
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Nice work as net control.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:27:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: h00ktern] [#27]
[Deleted post]

Public apology for using member's first name. IM sent.

Safe trips all,
Dave
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, that was interesting. I jumped in on the frequency, 7213KHz, at about 2105EDT, expecting Gyprat to be net control, because he's got a boss station, and wound up being ad hoc net control

It was my honor and privilege to pick up the baton, and everyone exhibited exemplary behavior and patience as I rotated around the station list several times. Seriously, everyone did really, really great

In no particular order, checking in were: LTCetme, Ohio_Sharkman, cjk, SmilingBandit, NW7US and Derek45. We also had three other random non-arfcom stations.

I am running 500W into a 40M half square antenna up about 65ft, up here in the "upper right corner" of the country. Pretty much nobody could hear anyone but me, but I could hear everyone just fine, even though they were spread all over from Wisconsin to the Atlantic.

We only had one station running QRO. Everyone else was 100W, and everyone except me was running a low (=<30ft) antenna). It was an object lesson in that life starts at 50ft and that there is no substitute for cubic watts

73, everyone, fine job!
View Quote

Thank you for picking this up but, unless I missed something, we were talking about trying the first net on Saturday night. I have it marked for 9:00 PM on Saturday (tonight). Today is Saturday, right??? Maybe the virus is getting into my brain (or what's left of it)....
I was planning to read all replies and either make a final announcement or possibly post a different time if most people objected the proposed time.

So.... If today is Saturday...... Do you guys want to try again?  Maybe adjust the time a bit to catch both 20 and 40 meter propagation.

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#29]
9pm eastern tonight works fine for me, I'll be there.
Thanks for getting this going.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Gyprat:

Thank you for picking this up but, unless I missed something, we were talking about trying the first net on Saturday night. I have it marked for 9:00 PM on Saturday (tonight). Today is Saturday, right??? Maybe the virus is getting into my brain (or what's left of it)....
I was planning to read all replies and either make a final announcement or possibly post a different time if most people objected the proposed time.

So.... If today is Saturday...... Do you guys want to try again?  Maybe adjust the time a bit to catch both 20 and 40 meter propagation.

View All Quotes

73, everyone, fine job!

I was confused too. I just happened to check this thread while people were trying to make contact. Earlier would help propagation on 40 meters. When it went away yesterday evening it went away all at once. I’ll try again. I’ll check this thread when I get home from work and see what the plans are.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

73, everyone, fine job!

I had mentioned Saturday and folks seemed to agree. I think the above was ad hoc.

I do really like the idea of an unofficial weekly net too. We can leave a particular day for the official net then just pop in and out the rest of the week. I know that I won't be able to make every Saturday so knowing other guys might be listening would encourage me to jump in other days.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#32]

I was confused too. I just happened to check this thread while people were trying to make contact. Earlier would help propagation on 40 meters. When it went away yesterday evening it went away all at once. I'll try again. I'll check this thread when I get home from work and see what the plans are.
View Quote
I'm fine with earlier. 2300-0100 UTC is tough because I'm helping to get my toddler into the bath and bed around that time but I can make it work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

It was more of an impromptu thing really. I popped over and it was really neat so I stuck around.

I'm totally down with trying again though. Regrettably it's looking like you need a pretty nice antenna/station to hear me. The little guys (like myself) have a hard time hearing each other.

I'm down for 20m and 40m too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#34]
It seems I jumped the gun

Reading is fun-duh-mental, and I must not have read the thread carefully enough. I just saw "2100 on 7213" and jumped on.

But much fun was had

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd like to give it a try, but not sure I can make the east coast with 100W and a 72' end fed wire at 25'.  0100Z is normally into my evening reading time, but I'll give a listen tonight and see who I can hear.  Maybe I can get relayed in by someone if nothing else.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#36]
It seems I jumped the gun

Reading is fun-duh-mental, and I must not have read the thread carefully enough. I just saw "2100 on 7213" and jumped on.

But much fun was had

View Quote

It’s a good thing.  Any excuse to pick up the microphone.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I'll try to make contact at 2100. I just missed the action last night, at 2210 there was a station in NH calling CQ.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Today's the day.
Time is 2100
What's the frequency? I missed that
Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll try and listen but my antenna is almost on the ground.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I hope using the call sign suffix is OK.
cjk, you were BOOMING in S jersey. 5/9- armchair copy.
I did hear other stations out in the noise level. Nothing enough to get a call sign though.

I'm seeing just how compromised my setup is. NO treeson my property, and mostly 100x100 lots here.
All I have is about 120-140' of galvanized fence wire up about 20-25', in an L shape with an SGC 239 tuner in the middle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#41]
What freq are yall on? might can make a quick contact.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#42]
Yea can we designate a net control for tonight. I will be on.

If we designate a net control in the center of the country and a couple of relay stations east and west we should be able to make a complete checkin of stations.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:If we designate a net control in the center of the country and a couple of relay stations east and west we should be able to make a complete checkin of stations.
View Quote
It's not always about location. That helps, of course, but more often it is about the antenna and the rest of the station.

For example, last night, even though my station was nowhere near the center of the stations that checked in, I was still the only one they could hear. Almost no one could hear anybody else. I was the only one on the frequency with an antenna up higher than 50ft. There were two of us running 500W (both of us on Elecraft KPA500's ), but the other gentleman had a low antenna and still could not hear anyone else.

The good news is the Gyprat has a rocking station with a rocking antenna: a high end rig, 1000W and a big 40M Yagi on a 75ft tower. In the past he's proven to be able to be heard far and wide!
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#44]
It's not always about location. That helps, of course, but more often it is about the antenna and the rest of the station.

For example, last night, even though my station was nowhere near the center of the stations that checked in, I was still the only one they could hear. Almost no one could hear anybody else. I was the only one on the frequency with an antenna up higher than 50ft. There were two of us running 500W (both of us on Elecraft KPA500's ), but the other gentleman had a low antenna and still could not hear anyone else.

The good news is the Gyprat has a rocking station with a rocking antenna: a high end rig, 1000W and a big 40M Yagi on a 75ft tower. In the past he's proven to be able to be heard far and wide!
View Quote

Yep I am aware, was hearing a bunch of stations util the propagation shifted. Im running a 102ft doublet at around 55 feet and about 600w. Having some big stations around that can relay makes things better, that is all.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm monitoring 7.213 while doing some basement organization. If anyone wants to test I'll answer any CQ ARFCOM I can hear. Full disclosure I had trouble last night getting to the smaller guys.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Nothing is wrong with impromptu nets. I was just questioning my sanity, trying to figure out if I slept too much and missed the net. You know, when you wake up, it's dark outside and you are trying to figure out if it's early morning or late night.

The rig is not high end, not anymore but it gets the job done. You just had to rub it in, didn't you? I may just use my Kenwood TS-520 for the net.
The antenna does a great job but it's directional with low radiation angle. Good for DX-ing but it's not the best choice for semi-local nets. I've taken down my 40m die-pole. It'll be replaced with a horizontal "Delta-Loop"
Guys, I'll try my best to hear everyone but we'll definitely need relay stations.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Do you still have the FTDX3000? Top of the line for a superhet rig.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:41:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gyprat] [#48]
How about we just use Eastern US time reference for this net to keep it simple. Just offset it to your local time.

How about we try this:

Today, Saturday 03/21

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 meter NET @ 7:00 PM ET  

Primary frequency:      14.261 Mhz.

Alternate frequency:        14.283 Mhz.

40 meter NET @ 8:00 PM ET

Primary frequency:         7.213 Mhz  

Alternate frequency:           7.285 Mhz

We switch to 80 meters if 40m propagation is poor.
I'll post all frequency and time updates in this thread. Internet is still working. Hopefully we won't need to depend on it once we find out what time and frequencies work best for this net.
This is not my net. It's our net. Feel free to volunteer as a net control station for as many nets as you want. Just let me know ahead of time. Also feel free to voice your ideas or to critique something I'm doing wrong. This is how we learn and improve our operator skills.

Say - "Break" at any time if you need to get in for an important announcement or to pass an urgent message.

New guys. Don't be afraid to make any mistakes. No one will judge you. This is how we practice. Just do your best and most importantly, have fun!

Arfcom EMCOMM Frequencies List.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I will be there
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Count me in.
Page / 171
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top