Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I refuse to supply this leftist state with any more cash than I can legally get away with.

Would I if they were free?  Probably.

OPSEC?  Just look at the antenna's on my house and it is not hard to figure out what I do for fun.

Surprisingly, no antenna's on the car, which needs to change.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Eh, $2.50 extra was a price I would have happily continued to pay to keep all my vehicles under the same plate number. I just haven't been driving the pickup much since I bought the Jetta so for have the price of registration I can register it as A Farm Truck instead.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have thought about it. In Commierado hams only get one set of plates, while a commercial operator (TV, radio) gets up to ten

I may do it for my third car, I am tossing around building a vehicle for off road use, and it will likely include a HF station so I’ll probably do the plates for that one.

If I lived in TX I’d do it for the novelty of all my cars having the same plate.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Got amateur radio plates so all my vehicles would have the same plate.

....  only have one vehicle.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I don’t know about license plates but I’d never use my call sign as a screen name.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Speaking of which...you should really write your local representative and request/demand the creation of either a "UTV" tag or a farm tag that is a reduced fee. I'm going broke keeping my Jeep registered in Colorado since inspection laws changed in Texas for as little as it actually gets driven. I would do it...but I'm a resident of Texas.

Then again, I'm very picky. I refuse to utilize public off road parks available in Texas for one simple reason...I refuse to pay TPWD for the OHV permit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speaking of which...you should really write your local representative and request/demand the creation of either a "UTV" tag or a farm tag that is a reduced fee. I'm going broke keeping my Jeep registered in Colorado since inspection laws changed in Texas for as little as it actually gets driven. I would do it...but I'm a resident of Texas.

Then again, I'm very picky. I refuse to utilize public off road parks available in Texas for one simple reason...I refuse to pay TPWD for the OHV permit.
View Quote
I've never tried to use a public off-road park in Texas.  You have to have an OHV permit even for a plated vehicle?

In Colorado if the vehicle is plated you don't need an OHV tag.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I want people to be able to look up my address and meet me at my house before I get home.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've never tried to use a public off-road park in Texas.  You have to have an OHV permit even for a plated vehicle?

In Colorado if the vehicle is plated you don't need an OHV tag.
View Quote
Yes. You either have the Texas OHV permit or you don't ride. This is why you occasionally see some Jeeps running around with two windshield stickers (since we did away with the inspection sticker which was why I began registering my Jeep in Colorado). Furthermore, Colorado and New Mexico honor Texas OHV stickers...Texas does not. Personally, I'd rather see a $1 increase on registration to keep things standardized with neighboring States which would also coincidentally increase TPWD's revenue from the OHV program exponentially.

On another note, a bill did get pushed through last session to create a UTV registration program.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]
When I got my plates and put them on my Jeep, my son took one look and burst out laughing.

I asked him what was amusing him. He said he was surprised that the DMV let me have that plate.

I didn't get it. He suggested that I take a look at the plate through a mirror.

K7UF
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I got my plates and put them on my Jeep, my son took one look and burst out laughing.

I asked him what was amusing him. He said he was surprised that the DMV let me have that plate.

I didn't get it. He suggested that I take a look at the plate through a mirror.

K7UF
View Quote
Gary out in Lubbock, TX.

WA5TED...he has plates.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I have my call tag,  it's helped me get a few QSOs on 146.52 while on road trips.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got amateur radio plates so all my vehicles would have the same plate.

....  only have one vehicle.  
View Quote
Well, goal achieved!!

I use a PO Box for all my mail, FCC license, work correspondence, everything.  But I don’t have a ham vanity tag although my antennas would give it away.  I have a plain white F-150, and if I pull my antennas down quickly I will blend in with the other million white F150s here.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Or leave the antennae up and slap on a faux contractor magnet to the door and you become instantly invisible
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd wager that around 90% of the trucks I see local with radio plates don't have any external antennas.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd wager that around 90% of the trucks I see local with radio plates don't have any external antennas.
View Quote
I mean, I've been running the Panorama Sharkee on my pickup for the last 5 years now...I've had radio techs get in the truck, see the XTL stack, get out and take a double take of the antenna. Only ones who have guessed first go around were the local PD since they use the antennas on their cruisers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I have them, but my call ends with ...WMD so it is fun watching people try to figure out what the whole thing means
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#20]
In my state it is actually cheaper to have Radio plates.  They can be transferred to new vehicles for no additional cost whereas otherwise a new vehicle = new plate fee.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Used to, but not for a long while.

I think Connecticut's look shitty with the lightning bolt in the middle of the call sign.

I can't imagine someone thinking that was a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't know about license plates but I'd never use my call sign as a screen name.
View Quote
Nor would I.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nor would I.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know about license plates but I'd never use my call sign as a screen name.
Nor would I.
LOL
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LOL
View Quote
Okay, I'll bite ..........what's funny?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#25]
The guy you quoted, look at this screen name.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The guy you quoted, look at this screen name.
View Quote
Went right by me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to. Stopped when they forced us to renew in January only.

I didn't feel like getting hosed on two plates right after xmas.

Plates in this State are ridiculously expensive on newer vehicles.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top