User Panel

Site Notices
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 4 of 25)
Page / 25
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Conspiro-Agnew:

There are currently a couple of the THALES 8 bay chargers (which normally go for about $3K, correction $4K) for about $500 on fleabay. I'm not sure if these work with the TRI/TCA batteries, but if you've bought real 152 batteries, it would work.
View Quote
Dang I just threw two of the old 6 bay racal chargers away. Never thought a market autos develop for them.

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Ironically enough, they’re the ones who make the turn-a-JEM-battery-into-a-mini-BA-5590 I’m using. Really good guys over there.

Originally Posted By mancow:

Check out Battax. They make snap on USB dual port converters. Super handy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:06:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Conspiro-Agnew] [#3]
Originally Posted By Josh:

That's a 4-bay charger btw.  It can charge 8 batteries, but not 8 MBITR batteries.  It's only got 4 spots for MBITR/152 batteries unless I'm missing something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Josh:

That's a 4-bay charger btw.  It can charge 8 batteries, but not 8 MBITR batteries.  It's only got 4 spots for MBITR/152 batteries unless I'm missing something.
Oh yep, I think you are correct. Good eye. That said, a different version of that from Thales looks to go for around $4K, and also only charges 4: Link.

Originally Posted By phurba:

So on another one of their pages:

Is that just for the previous gen of radios?
Correct, the old, plastic version had different battery connectors, and real ones had to have those replaced. The newer aluminum models work with all real Harris batteries; i.e. the rechargeable batteries as well as the AA and 123 battery cases. I have all, and they all connect and work properly.

The main difference between the newer version TRI/TCA rechargeable batteries versus the Harris ones, is the Harris ones have the recharging points on the bottom of the battery, whereas the TRI/TCA ones do not. The chargers you put on top of the TRI/TCA ones look like the Harris/Thales chargers of the same build, but I'm not sure I would hook the TRI/TCI top chargers to the real batteries, nor would I attempt to recharge the TRI/TCA batters on a real Harris/Thales charger of any sorts.

Being able to buy real Harris batteries at around $25 each, as opposed to the TRI/TCA ones costing over $100 each, and having to have them imported, makes adding extra batteries with real ones a no-brainer, in my opinion.

ETA - totally beat to the point by OutlanderSystems
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Dang I just threw two away.

View Quote
Haha seriously?!
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Made this a while ago. Some of these aren’t in the manual.

Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Haha seriously?!
View All Quotes

Dang I just threw two away.

Haha seriously?!
Seriously
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Don’t feel bad. About 10 years ago I threw away a very expensive Russian HF transceiver.

Seriously
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:26:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#8]
Originally Posted By OutlanderSystems:
Don’t feel bad. About 10 years ago I threw away a very expensive Russian HF transceiver.
View Quote
Just tell me it wasn't an R354 or R-394 and we can still be friends.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]
It looked a lot like an R-311, but was a transceiver. At the time, I thought it was some weird DC power supply, and threw it out.

Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked one of these up I'm pretty impressed with it. I think I'm going to try to get another couple of them, either buy them or trade. If anyone is interested I have 2 Bendix King KNG-P400s (380-450) I'd do a straight trade 1 for 1.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody know if the remote port is intelligible enough to use with a vehicular adapter?

https://www.american-milspec.com/images/product/large/amp30s-6323_1_.jpg
View Quote
I wondered the same thing. I would like to mount one in my hummer and have it work with the other components.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
I wondered the same thing. I would like to mount one in my hummer and have it work with the other components.
View All Quotes
Anybody know if the remote port is intelligible enough to use with a vehicular adapter?

There's a few on ebay for ~$500
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:07:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Conspiro-Agnew] [#13]
View All Quotes

If you were going to mount one in a vehicle, why not just buy something like a PRC113 (which can be found on Ebay for like 800 bucks), if you had to have something along those lines? Personally, for a vehicle, I would just look at any capable and affordable mobile ham radio made specifically for that application, which could also communicate on the same freqs?
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#14]
If you were going to mount one in a vehicle, why not just buy something like a PRC113 (which can be found on Ebay for like 800 bucks), if you had to have something along those lines? Personally, for a vehicle, I would just look at any capable and affordable mobile ham radio made specifically for that application, which could also communicate on the same freqs?
View All Quotes

113 is AM-only and doesn't cover the same frequency range as the TRI.

I have a convertacom for my XTS3000s which is basically the same thing as the VA. It has pros and cons compared to another radio, but it's nice to be able to switch from handheld to mobile use and back. I rarely need to operate more than one radio at a time anyway.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]

I have a convertacom for my XTS3000s which is basically the same thing as the VA. It has pros and cons compared to another radio, but it's nice to be able to switch from handheld to mobile use and back. I rarely need to operate more than one radio at a time anyway.
View Quote
Ah gotcha, didn't look up the specs on the 113, only time I looked at it, saw it wasn't HF and moved on. I'd only ever be interested in a man-pack radio if it was HF. Good luck finding a 138 though, eh? They seem to pop up every now and again, but not when I actually happen to be looking.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Mainly because the PRC113 doesn't cover all of the frequencies as the tri and I want to hook it up to my other military vic 3 intercom.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#17]
It looked a lot like an R-311, but was a transceiver. At the time, I thought it was some weird DC power supply, and threw it out.
View Quote
I'm glad we can still be friends :)

How you thought it was DC power supply made me lol though...

On the plus side most soviet era rigs are a nightmare to keep running.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Ha hah, fuck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Some 113's do FM. You can get em working on 2m IIRC, but not UHF.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Ah gotcha, didn't look up the specs on the 113, only time I looked at it, saw it wasn't HF and moved on. I'd only ever be interested in a man-pack radio if it was HF. Good luck finding a 138 though, eh? They seem to pop up every now and again, but not when I actually happen to be looking.
View Quote
They are around, you just need to be rich enough.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#21]
They are only 25k step too I think.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#22]
Seems to be working so far. No PTT in the loop, so manual activation is required. Also had to jack microphone settings to the max. I’ll fiddle with it some more later, and see how other stations copy. For $30 I’m not complaining...yet.

Link Posted: 9/23/2019 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#23]
From post above: “Being able to buy real Harris batteries at around $25 each,”

Any tips on where to find these?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Seems to be working so far. No PTT in the loop, so manual activation is required. Also had to jack microphone settings to the max. I’ll fiddle with it some more later, and see how other stations copy. For $30 I’m not complaining...yet.

https://i.ibb.co/p3kMB5L/E5195-D52-3-D8-C-48-B1-A2-EE-171413-B318-E5.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/k4RLYph/333-AADDF-C819-44-E5-B242-3-E0-B64-B65087.jpg
View Quote
Where did you get the 2 pin adapter you posted a few pages back? Ultimately I plan on building a cable with a USB sound card inline but that cable would let me rock with equipment I already have.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#25]
It works. $40 total with W-4 jumper.

So, after adjusting levels, I was able to get the device to transmit/receive various digital modes using FLDigi. The only other way I know to do this is to use a two-pin adapter ($40) and a SignaLink USB ($120).

Only negative I’ve encountered so far is getting the levels set up and the PTT to transmit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#26]
@All10X

PM me.

Originally Posted By All10X:

View All Quotes

Right here my guy:

2-Pin Adapter

Tested it with a couple of aux cables and a USB sound card. Had to manually toggle the 3.5 when TX’ing due to the ground loop, but it absolutely works.

Where did you get the 2 pin adapter you posted a few pages back? Ultimately I plan on building a cable with a USB sound card inline but that cable would let me rock with equipment I already have.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:47:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyG] [#27]
@All10X

PM me.

Right here my guy:

2-Pin Adapter

Tested it with a couple of aux cables and a USB sound card. Had to manually toggle the 3.5 when TX'ing due to the ground loop, but it absolutely works.
View Quote
Since you guys just forced me to spend some money, here's another source, this time for an appropriate 6 pin David Clark PTT, and they are throwing in the same GD USB box, as well as a single side DC headset with a U-329 connector, all for just under $100:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/David-Clark-General-Dynamics-Communications-Headset-for-MBITR-AN-PRC-148-More/131902881749?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#28]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofdo7o2sqyU

So, after adjusting levels, I was able to get the device to transmit/receive various digital modes using FLDigi. The only other way I know to do this is to use a two-pin adapter ($40) and a SignaLink USB ($120).

Only negative I’ve encountered so far is getting the levels set up and the PTT to transmit.
View Quote
How are you handling T/R switching? The 152 doesn't have VOX does it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
It does not, and it sounds like the GD box doesn't have a PTT circuit either.  Based on his post, he's manually holding the radio's PTT while sending the data message.

I've gotten data to work with some old Moto radios using their Voiceducer accessory that adds a VOX circuit.  Could probably adapt one of those to the 6-pin hook-up and then just need to straight wire it to audio-in/audio-out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#30]
That’s a lot of serious hardware for ~$100!

Originally Posted By GunnyG:

Since you guys just forced me to spend some money, here's another source, this time for an appropriate 6 pin David Clark PTT, and they are throwing in the same GD USB box, as well as a single side DC headset with a U-329 connector, all for just under $100:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/David-Clark-General-Dynamics-Communications-Headset-for-MBITR-AN-PRC-148-More/131902881749?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12179/446DC01B-ABDC-4F97-A387-4AB889963881-1100615.png
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GunnyG:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12179/446DC01B-ABDC-4F97-A387-4AB889963881-1100615.png
It does not. That was the manual toggling I was doing with the 152 and the 2-pin adapter homebrew adapter I put together. As soon as the 3.5mm cable is plugged in the transmitter keys up because of a ground loop. I stuck the 3.5mm Cable from the USB sound-card into the two-pin adapter and hit the TX button in FLDigi. In the video posted above, I was using the 148 with general dynamics interface box. You still have to manually hit the PTT, but given I don’t live on NBEMS, I can deal with that.

The video below is from a few nights ago, using the home brew “interface” that consists of the 2pin adapter, usb sound-card, 3.5mm aux cable, 2.5mm aux cable, and 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.

It’s not elegant but it definitely works:

Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
It does not, and it sounds like the GD box doesn't have a PTT circuit either.  Based on his post, he's manually holding the radio's PTT while sending the data message.

I've gotten data to work with some old Moto radios using their Voiceducer accessory that adds a VOX circuit.  Could probably adapt one of those to the 6-pin hook-up and then just need to straight wire it to audio-in/audio-out.
View All Quotes

I'm figuring on building a VOX circuit to add in line after the USB sound card. Something like this would be simple.

I thought about using a prolific chip to add a USB serial port, but that would require either using 2 USB cables (no go in my situation since the tablet I want to use this with only has 1 USB port) or integrating a USB hub (PITA). The USB sound card might have an unused GPIO or SPI line though...
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#32]
This is correct. The TCA 148 I ordered, which still hasn’t arrived yet, has vox on board, so I’ll be very curious to see how it plays with the GD Box. If push comes to shove, modifying an old Jedi Vox box would be cool as hell.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#33]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofdo7o2sqyU

View Quote
Just out of curiosity, who exactly are you talking to using FLDIGI to do this on 2m or 440, your local buddies? I guess I could see it sort of useful for packet/winlink to send local email.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#34]
As soon as the 3.5mm cable is plugged in the transmitter keys up because of a ground loop.
View Quote
I'm sure you are, but are you sure it's a ground loop? Seems like I was having problems with one of the *feng type radios with an accessory; it was exhibiting the same symptom. Turned out there was an issue with the plug and jack, where a dead short was being created and causing the radio to go into tx. Another plug, with more... layers? (Instead of tip and ring, or stereo tip and ring, there was an extra contact) fixed the problem.

just a thought
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#35]
From the non mil comms thread:

Anybody know what the speaker and power supply base are?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
As above, Outlander has some. As well, the site I was referencing has the real Harris batteries (to which you'll need a real charger for) @ 4 for $99 plus shipping:

American-Milspec
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:04:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#37]
Digital mode update. Using the adapter/interface shown below corrected all issues with I/O signal levels. Levels are normalized compared to the relatively low output audio being sent directly to the radio via jumper. By running the CW Adapter Unit to the radio via jumper, and feeding the GD Box via the Audio line out, the input/output levels are in-line with what should be effectively used for NBEMS.

So just to recap on the recipe:

1 6-pin radio capable of pushing Dynamic Mics
1 General Dynamics USB Audio Adapter / Type II
1 W-4 SINCGARS Jumper Cable
1 Harris Y-Adapter / CW Interface
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Digital mode update. Using the adapter/interface shown below corrected all issues with I/O signal levels. Levels are normalized compared to the relatively low output audio being sent directly to the radio via jumper. By running the CW Adapter Unit to the radio via jumper, and feeding the GD Box via the Audio line out, the input/output levels are in-line with what should be effectively used for NBEMS.

https://i.ibb.co/5hxHrBw/4-BFAAEEE-9-C3-E-4-FAE-B143-2164-BA8444-B4.jpg

So just to recap on the recipe:

1 6-pin radio capable of pushing Dynamic Mics
1 General Dynamics USB Audio Adapter / Type II
1 W-4 SINCGARS Jumper Cable
1 Harris Y-Adapter / CW Interface
View Quote
I assume the Y adapter passes through the PTT line? I bet I could work the VOX circuit into the GD box
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone recommend any of the current ebay sellers as there are a ton and prices between $275 and $350. Or which one of the two below would you buy?

For example, the one below is $273 + shipping (~$25) and located here in the US:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-TRI-AN-PRC-152-METAL-SHELL-MBITR-RADIO-INVISIO-SILYNX-DEVGRU-SEAL-MARSOC-FR/254357213981

And this one is $308 plus shipping from China (~$30) but claims to be a real battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIMITED-EDITION-ALUMINUM-SHELL10W-TRI-AN-PRC-152-MBITR-RADIO-REAL152-BATTERY/264391481611?hash=item3d8ef5d90b:g:CpcAAOSw86BcC~IV
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#40]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/01910BE5-1D03-4749-BC79-B474EC59FA2E_jpeg-1024307.JPG

View Quote
@phurba, which thread is this pic from?  Link, please.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Yeehaa:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yeehaa:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/01910BE5-1D03-4749-BC79-B474EC59FA2E_jpeg-1024307.JPG

Page 2 of this thread.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Conspiro-Agnew] [#42]
Anyone recommend any of the current ebay sellers as there are a ton and prices between $275 and $350. Or which one of the two below would you buy?

For example, the one below is $273 + shipping (~$25) and located here in the US:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-TRI-AN-PRC-152-METAL-SHELL-MBITR-RADIO-INVISIO-SILYNX-DEVGRU-SEAL-MARSOC-FR/254357213981

And this one is $308 plus shipping from China (~$30) but claims to be a real battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIMITED-EDITION-ALUMINUM-SHELL10W-TRI-AN-PRC-152-MBITR-RADIO-REAL152-BATTERY/264391481611?hash=item3d8ef5d90b:g:CpcAAOSw86BcC~IV
View Quote
I got a couple from a seller in the US so it wouldn’t go slow through the customs part. That said, the seller you linked on top had some “in stock” and I ordered from that one, only to get a message that they were actually out of stock and then subsequently cancelled my order. Said they’d contact me when more came in, but by then I found another seller in the US that shipped them the next day.

ETA - ordered twice from this seller, no problems:

Ebay Link

ETA 2 - Link fixed. Pain in the rear doing it on a phone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Page 2 of this thread.
View Quote
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:03:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#44]
Anyone interested in someo CR123 type MBITR batteries and battery eliminator plates with leads? I will have a few soon and in the EE. The 123 type make good candidates for recelling. The eliminator plates are just tops of batteries basically with leads for BB2590 type batteries but you could wire in a different plug for 12v or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#45]
PM me with deets on the BB2590 adapters.

Anyone interested in someo CR123 type MBITR batteries and battery eliminator plates with leads? I will have a few soon and in the EE. The 123 type make good candidates for recelling. The eliminator plates are just tops of batteries basically with leads for BB2590 type batteries but you could wire in a different plug for 12v or whatever.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
Yup, I've been looking for a BE.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#47]

I got a couple from a seller in the US so it wouldn’t go slow through the customs part. That said, the seller you linked on top had some “in stock” and I ordered from that one, only to get a message that they were actually out of stock and then subsequently cancelled my order. Said they’d contact me when more came in, but by then I found another seller in the US that shipped them the next day.

ETA - ordered twice from this seller, no problems:

Ebay Link
View Quote
Thank, I just ordered one from the seller you listed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#48]
So after following this thread for the last few weeks I finally broke down and bought one of the PRC-152 models from TRI  just basically for the coolness factor and it goes with all the other militaria in my office. That and I am a consummate Radio whore. Anyway I just have two questions -- is there a decent  guide somewhere online to help program these? preferably one where the poster does not spend 30 mins talking about themselves then glosses over programming in 5 mins. and  Is it supposed to be this hard to mate up the handset  connector ?!? holy crap it feels like I am going to break it if I push or turn harder.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By offctr:
So after following this thread for the last few weeks I finally broke down and bought one of the PRC-152 models from TRI  just basically for the coolness factor and it goes with all the other militaria in my office. That and I am a consummate Radio whore. Anyway I just have two questions -- is there a decent  guide somewhere online to help program these? preferably one where the poster does not spend 30 mins talking about themselves then glosses over programming in 5 mins. and  Is it supposed to be this hard to mate up the handset  connector ?!? holy crap it feels like I am going to break it if I push or turn harder.
View Quote
Yes, those connectors are supposed to be hard to mate up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#50]
So I tried reading most everything but didn't fully understand what the difference, if any, there is between the 148 and 152?

It might be good if someone with more understanding of these units could post a comparison, maybe we could even sticky it in this section.  Plus from what I understand there is some difference between the two main manufacturers.

Definitely interested in one of these.
Page / 25
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 4 of 25)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top