BCM
User Panel

TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 21 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Josh:

There's not quite that much room in there.  And it doesn't do what I want anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mancow:

The XG-100P isn't a PRC-152, it's not a falcon-III radio, and the specs make it pretty clear it's something else entirely.  It's also EOL and has been for a while it appears.

Go ahead and try to buy a non-CCI Falcon III or IV radio from L3Harris, let me know how you get on.  I have the L3Harris catalog open on my laptop right now, can you point me to the page it appears on?  

I have an FCS-152 in pieces on my workbench, I'm working on mapping out the schematic for it and I have the firmware for it open on my laptop right now and I am writing new firmware for it.  It's not a five minute job, the current firmware is an Arduino sketch that has a lot of problems, it's probably going to be faster to write new from scratch which is what I'm doing right now.  The radio has been barely available for a couple of months.  People have lives that don't involve only writing custom software for free.  This radio will get new firmware at some point in the future, whether I do it or someone else does, there's definitely some interest in it.

That company that made the RF modules doesn't answer emails.  They're in Shenzhen.  Sending them something from a .gov address wouldn't have any use, it would probably be a misuse of government email.  It doesn't matter anyway, it's a generic FM UHF/VHF module.  It's nothing special.  I have enough of the API from the radio firmware to know what it requires to make it run.  I don't really care about it anyway, I'm going to replace it with something else eventually.

A VX8R guts with mars mod might be neat. You would get a portion of lowband. Heck the entire radio would probably fit in there LOL. Does the 8 have remote command capabilities? If so, even easier and brings all the signaling features.

There's not quite that much room in there.  And it doesn't do what I want anyway.

What do you want it to do?

With their cavalier attitude toward spectrum management I'm kind of surprised the chicoms haven't made some generic ultra wide band transceiver modules.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]

With their cavalier attitude toward spectrum management I'm kind of surprised the chicoms haven't made some generic ultra wide band transceiver modules.
View All Quotes

The XG-100P isn't a PRC-152, it's not a falcon-III radio, and the specs make it pretty clear it's something else entirely.  It's also EOL and has been for a while it appears.

Go ahead and try to buy a non-CCI Falcon III or IV radio from L3Harris, let me know how you get on.  I have the L3Harris catalog open on my laptop right now, can you point me to the page it appears on?  

I have an FCS-152 in pieces on my workbench, I'm working on mapping out the schematic for it and I have the firmware for it open on my laptop right now and I am writing new firmware for it.  It's not a five minute job, the current firmware is an Arduino sketch that has a lot of problems, it's probably going to be faster to write new from scratch which is what I'm doing right now.  The radio has been barely available for a couple of months.  People have lives that don't involve only writing custom software for free.  This radio will get new firmware at some point in the future, whether I do it or someone else does, there's definitely some interest in it.

That company that made the RF modules doesn't answer emails.  They're in Shenzhen.  Sending them something from a .gov address wouldn't have any use, it would probably be a misuse of government email.  It doesn't matter anyway, it's a generic FM UHF/VHF module.  It's nothing special.  I have enough of the API from the radio firmware to know what it requires to make it run.  I don't really care about it anyway, I'm going to replace it with something else eventually.

A VX8R guts with mars mod might be neat. You would get a portion of lowband. Heck the entire radio would probably fit in there LOL. Does the 8 have remote command capabilities? If so, even easier and brings all the signaling features.

Funny you say that...  

I'm looking to build essentially an all-mode 20-990 or so module.  More than a few challenges there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Funny you say that...  

I'm looking to build essentially an all-mode 20-990 or so module.  More than a few challenges there.
View All Quotes

Funny you say that...  

Now THAT would be something!

A HackRF type of SDR with all the filtering needed would do the job I assume. I've always thought that a raw SDR module with proper filtering then a sort of android type interface with modulator/demod apps that could be added or deleted would be the shit. Kind of like a physical GNU radio.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]

A HackRF type of SDR with all the filtering needed would do the job I assume. I've always thought that a raw SDR module with proper filtering then a sort of android type interface with modulator/demod apps that could be added or deleted would be the shit. Kind of like a physical GNU radio.
View All Quotes

Funny you say that...  

Conceptually, that would do the job but at the cost of high power usage and a lot of complexity for the end user to manage. I’m going to do it with an RF front end and an FPGA, and the modulations and such will be bitstreams selectable off internal or maybe external storage depending on how big they end up having to be.

I’ve written microcontroller firmware to do some of this but need to go lower level to be able to do some of the things I want to do.

The android interface + SDR you’re talking about might be the Rfinder radio, but it’s a thousand bucks and I’m not really into making the user use android for it, I want it to just be a radio. Maybe with an app for external remote control (like the VGC radios), but I don’t want that to be required.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Conceptually, that would do the job but at the cost of high power usage and a lot of complexity for the end user to manage. I’m going to do it with an RF front end and an FPGA, and the modulations and such will be bitstreams selectable off internal or maybe external storage depending on how big they end up having to be.

I’ve written microcontroller firmware to do some of this but need to go lower level to be able to do some of the things I want to do.

The android interface + SDR you’re talking about might be the Rfinder radio, but it’s a thousand bucks and I’m not really into making the user use android for it, I want it to just be a radio. Maybe with an app for external remote control (like the VGC radios), but I don’t want that to be required.
View All Quotes

Funny you say that...  

That sound bad ass. I wish more people with skills would take on projects like that. There was a Russian guy making small single band boards for a while that were about the size of a can of chew that did trunking, P25, DMR. I managed to get one of each but he disappeared, unfortunately.

I really need to start studying FPGA but I don't know where to begin.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]

That sound bad ass. I wish more people with skills would take on projects like that. There was a Russian guy making small single band boards for a while that were about the size of a can of chew that did trunking, P25, DMR. I managed to get one of each but he disappeared, unfortunately.

View All Quotes

Funny you say that...  

This is where I started:  https://www.fpga4fun.com/HDLtutorials.html

Then I got this device:  https://groupgets.com/manufacturers/good-stuff-department/products/orangecrab , and I've been doing some experimentation with that for now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
On topic men.

You can tug on each others antennas in another thread if you so wish.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Saoirse:
On topic men.

You can tug on each others antennas in another thread if you so wish.
View Quote

This is on topic.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2023 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Then I got this device:  https://groupgets.com/manufacturers/good-stuff-department/products/orangecrab , and I've been doing some experimentation with that for now.
View All Quotes

Funny you say that...  

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s funny, how the 152 was the ninja radio of its day.  Now, those same units literally give them away to partner forces and have transitioned to mesh net systems with the MPU5.  

Next, the mil sim community will have to build MPU5 copies to keep up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FedDC:
It’s funny, how the 152 was the ninja radio of its day.  Now, those same units literally give them away to partner forces and have transitioned to mesh net systems with the MPU5.  

View Quote

The guys I know dislike the MPU5 (buggy built-in Android firmware was one complaint IIRC) and prefer Silvus 4200s. USMC is for sure using some Silvus hardware. And nearly anything is better than a 163.

Some of us in the civilian world are playing around with MANET using cast-off WISP equipment. I've got a couple portable units running on C-band but the stuff is in its infancy.

It wouldn't be particularly difficult to engineer a 3D-printed case for some of that stuff, and make it cosmetically look like an MPU5 or SC4200. Throw a TAK server on the net and you're really cooking with gas.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Lol.  Sure you will.

View All Quotes

Lol.  Sure you will.

I was surprised not to see your IM with the pdf

Fortune favors the bold, shipmate

How bout a picture of the setup you're using to interrogate the opened FCS unit?

I have a real one (not 152 but 5800 export legal model). The TRI display is much nicer it seems. I wish this 117 remote front panel would fit but it has the high density pin arrangement and mine has the 18 pin side port. Maybe someday I will try to match pinouts and see if they can talk to each other.

Dunno if this will work for the 152, but that picture looks like the 152 block. All you need is the round cable that goes from the block to the remote head; that should work. I know that the remote head works with either the aux jack or the top red low density red (black? I forget now) connector using that block.

It's funny, how the 152 was the ninja radio of its day.  Now, those same units literally give them away to partner forces and have transitioned to mesh net systems with the MPU5.  

not sure if the link will work:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1687000848242078

Functional MPU5 build finally in progress- after finished, will be capable of LoRa 915mhz mesh networking, LTE hotspot access, GLNSS GPS, Peanut DMR and Mumble/Zello RoIP capability (via Raspberry Pi), and more- will be powered using a Harris or Thales style 12v battery, capable of connecting to Android Phone EUD or custom made KDU-like EUD using OEM Fischer 7 Pin KDU cables/bulkhead ports, real Harris HiBand TNC antennas (900, L and C band-styles), and much more- let me know if any one's interested in me building them one of these puppies and I'll happily oblige- more photos to follow

Link Posted: 1/7/2023 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sabocat:

The guys I know dislike the MPU5 (buggy built-in Android firmware was one complaint IIRC) and prefer Silvus 4200s. USMC is for sure using some Silvus hardware. And nearly anything is better than a 163.

Some of us in the civilian world are playing around with MANET using cast-off WISP equipment. I've got a couple portable units running on C-band but the stuff is in its infancy.

It wouldn't be particularly difficult to engineer a 3D-printed case for some of that stuff, and make it cosmetically look like an MPU5 or SC4200. Throw a TAK server on the net and you're really cooking with gas.
View Quote
I'd love something like that, and if you added a couple of SDR's... it would be formidable.

I've also emailed a lot of entities asking why they just don't baofeng such an item, none of them (that responded) think there would be much profit in it.

In fact, if josh's idea ever gathers steam, I know an entity that makes 117 cases, and wouldn't be a long step to adding a 25 watt rf pa and perhaps even another radio with a plexer to make a repeater out of it.

Lot of potential there, someone just has to make the jump.

Thanks for the tip on Silvus, hadn't heard of them, off to learn more
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By high_order1:

How bout a picture of the setup you're using to interrogate the opened FCS unit?

Dunno if this will work for the 152, but that picture looks like the 152 block. All you need is the round cable that goes from the block to the remote head; that should work. I know that the remote head works with either the aux jack or the top red low density red (black? I forget now) connector using that block.

View All Quotes

Lol.  Sure you will.

I have a real one (not 152 but 5800 export legal model). The TRI display is much nicer it seems. I wish this 117 remote front panel would fit but it has the high density pin arrangement and mine has the 18 pin side port. Maybe someday I will try to match pinouts and see if they can talk to each other.

It's funny, how the 152 was the ninja radio of its day.  Now, those same units literally give them away to partner forces and have transitioned to mesh net systems with the MPU5.  

Functional MPU5 build finally in progress- after finished, will be capable of LoRa 915mhz mesh networking, LTE hotspot access, GLNSS GPS, Peanut DMR and Mumble/Zello RoIP capability (via Raspberry Pi), and more- will be powered using a Harris or Thales style 12v battery, capable of connecting to Android Phone EUD or custom made KDU-like EUD using OEM Fischer 7 Pin KDU cables/bulkhead ports, real Harris HiBand TNC antennas (900, L and C band-styles), and much more- let me know if any one's interested in me building them one of these puppies and I'll happily oblige- more photos to follow

Why would I send you a pdf?  Your claim, you don't need me to back it up for you.

If I want something from Harris I call them, not you.  I think you've misunderstood some things, I don't need you, I have the contacts I need.  I've got a relationship with them that goes back two decades at this point.  

And now you think you get to demand pictures of my lab, implying I suppose that you think I'm lying about what I do?  Nah.  We're done here.  I don't need a discussion with you anymore.  plonk

Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

How do you call in air on UHF with that?
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#16]

View All Quotes

Lol.  Sure you will.

I have all the cabling. The problem is the male side of the block is high density and doesn't mate to my low density 5800 which looks like the female side of the block.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 9:09:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sabocat] [#17]

View Quote

ROIP bridging into an LMR network, in theory. Persistent Systems talks a good game on the integration; if it works as well as the marketing copy then I'm impressed.

I'm chomping at the bit to link P25 into our MANET experiment.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Why would I send you a pdf?  Your claim, you don't need me to back it up for you.
View All Quotes

Because you can't send something you don't possess.

If I want something from Harris I call them, not you.  

But, of course

I think you've misunderstood some things, I don't need you, I have the contacts I need.  I've got a relationship with them that goes back two decades at this point.

I've misunderstood... nothing

And now you think you get to demand pictures of my lab, implying I suppose that you think I'm lying about what I do?  Nah.  We're done here.  I don't need a discussion with you anymore.  plonk

thinking, implying, supposing.

Keep shining, you crazy diamond.

However, this is an arf tech forum, so, let us get back into technical things, after you inserted yourself to correct me on what the FCS does and does not consist of, without providing any proof

The way it was sold to us is that it is a core system, and you add functionality to it either locally via cable (perhaps bt? I forget now) or remotely via a radio bridge. I've seen it work tied to a 152 and to a 117 Golf, you select using an end user device, or (I think) they have an external PTT that you can make a hot button for that specific talk group (channel? I don't remember their terminology)

I have all the cabling. The problem is the male side of the block is high density and doesn't mate to my low density 5800 which looks like the female side of the block.

Ah. I thought the 3x3 side was pogo pins and not female contacts; I'll have to look at mine, because that's why I purchased it. I looked on eBay quickly and thought they had some with the 3x3 male; I will try to get you a part number tomorrow if I can. (I can at least ask)

Originally Posted By sabocat:

ROIP bridging into an LMR network, in theory. Persistent Systems talks a good game on the integration; if it works as well as the marketing copy then I'm impressed.

I'm chomping at the bit to link P25 into our MANET experiment.

I would like a testbed to R&D, but I don't see it happening with them. It is something I'd like to explore this year. And, if not them, then the Silvus Technologies you discussed earlier. Perhaps there are others?

Why can't you link them now? (Feel free to start a new thread, I'd love to hear about your efforts)

I have not heard anything regarding any new 152 clone releases this year from FCS nor TRI. Does anybody know anything about TCA?
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#19]

However, this is an arf tech forum, so, let us get back into technical things, after you inserted yourself to correct me on what the FCS does and does not consist of, without providing any proof

View All Quotes

Everything Josh has said about the FCS is correct.
Additionally it's baffling that he needs to provide proof after he linked to the actual module in the radio, which is pretty darn easy to confirm is correct and supports his description of how it's put together, yet you don't need to provide proof for your 'SDR' assertions. For that matter I still have no idea how Josh found that damn hhttalk website in the first place. Damned if I can replicate that search, and not for lack of trying.

AFAICT it's an FM module exclusively, which seems to be supported by the "A" in the model name as their modules with DMR have 'DMR', and I'm utterly frustrated at trying to find related modules where we might know more about them.

It's got an AT command set, so we might get more details by spamming a bunch of the different variations on VERSION, DMOVERQ, DMOGETSOFTVERSION, etc.

No one likes to reply to my emails, sadly.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 9:20:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Josh] [#20]
Originally Posted By Mike327:

Additionally it's baffling that he needs to provide proof after he linked to the actual module in the radio, which is pretty darn easy to confirm is correct and supports his description of how it's put together, yet you don't need to provide proof for your 'SDR' assertions. For that matter I still have no idea how Josh found that damn hhttalk website in the first place. Damned if I can replicate that search, and not for lack of trying.

AFAICT it's an FM module exclusively, which seems to be supported by the "A" in the model name as their modules with DMR have 'DMR', and I'm utterly frustrated at trying to find related modules where we might know more about them.

It's got an AT command set, so we might get more details by spamming a bunch of the different variations on VERSION, DMOVERQ, DMOGETSOFTVERSION, etc.

View All Quotes

BTW, the search term I used was: "A002-U-V".  Of course along with Google Translate -- it's all in Chinese, and finding the actual product page on the site was some additional work as you can't get a direct link to the page with the info, all you get back from the search is a page with a picture of it, but that at least told me who made it anyway.

trying to fuzz additional commands out of it could definitely be a path to pursue to unlock more capability if it's there.  

I finally got the micro clips in the other day so maybe I'll be able to get on the pins on that board and get some firmware out of it, but I'm still not sure that will work.  I can't find any documentation of any ST or GD MCU with that pinout, so it's got to be some custom fake that nobody documented anywhere.  

And of course the initial impetus to go and look at this came from your documentation of the radio.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#21]

BTW, the search term I used was: "A002-U-V".  Of course along with Google Translate -- it's all in Chinese, and finding the actual product page on the site was some additional work as you can't get a direct link to the page with the info, all you get back from the search is a page with a picture of it, but that at least told me who made it anyway.

trying to fuzz additional commands out of it could definitely be a path to pursue to unlock more capability if it's there.  

I finally got the micro clips in the other day so maybe I'll be able to get on the pins on that board and get some firmware out of it, but I'm still not sure that will work.  I can't find any documentation of any ST or GD MCU with that pinout, so it's got to be some custom fake that nobody documented anywhere.  

And of course the initial impetus to go and look at this came from your documentation of the radio.
View Quote

Hah! I just now figured out that Google was saying "Only showing results in English" (which was patently false). Adding the various pictogram languages made it show up on the first page. Doh! Thank you.

I asked BG7IPY if he has any details or contacts for the A002 he can share. Probably not, based on talking with him earlier, but worth asking just in case.
I think your plan of replacing the RF board entirely is the way to go, but given the way it's built currently I still hope to investigate M17 compatibility Soon (TM).

I've been meaning to help out more - on this and a lot of other things - but I have two projects I'm trying very hard to finish and not abandon first. They're...going. Slowly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#22]
So, this module uses ASCII commands via a serial port to talk with the HMI interface?
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#23]
So, this module uses ASCII commands via a serial port to talk with the HMI interface?
View Quote

AT commands, yes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Yes, but the other way 'round to be clear.
The ESP32 controls the A002 VHF/UHF FM transceiver board over `uart2` (as named in the source code, not necessarily the hardware name).

ESP32 tells the A0002 the RF channel settings with `AT+DMOSETGROUP`. There are a handful of other commands (DMOREADRSSI, DMOSETVOLUME, ...) but that's really the only interesting one in the source code.
PTT, baseband audio in/out, and a few other signals are carried over the ribbon cable, so the uart is really not used for much.
There might be more on the cable (there're CLK and DAT test pads right next to the connector...), but this isn't really my wheelhouse and I don't see what else there could be nor do I see any plausible references in the code available.

I'm going off of my notes and pictures from last month, I don't have it in front of me to poke at it in real time right this second.

Thinking about it, it seems like it'd be possible to drop a little MMDVM modem in there and have a little 1-10mW M17 radio for a proof of concept.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#25]

The ESP32 controls the A002 VHF/UHF FM transceiver board over `uart2` (as named in the source code, not necessarily the hardware name).

ESP32 tells the A0002 the RF channel settings with `AT+DMOSETGROUP`. There are a handful of other commands (DMOREADRSSI, DMOSETVOLUME, ...) but that's really the only interesting one in the source code.
PTT, baseband audio in/out, and a few other signals are carried over the ribbon cable, so the uart is really not used for much.
There might be more on the cable (there're CLK and DAT test pads right next to the connector...), but this isn't really my wheelhouse and I don't see what else there could be nor do I see any plausible references in the code available.

I'm going off of my notes and pictures from last month, I don't have it in front of me to poke at it in real time right this second.

Thinking about it, it seems like it'd be possible to drop a little MMDVM modem in there and have a little 1-10mW M17 radio for a proof of concept.
View All Quotes

Yes, that should be possible. Some mmdvm control firmware on the esp32 and it ought to work. DMR also…

The clk and dat pads piqued my interest as well - my thought is maybe they’re swdio and sclk for the micro, as I can’t think of anything else for them to be.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

None of the stuff I looked at today was anything but the 4x4 matrix. I didn't have time to dig in the computer, but I'll try again tomorrow. I did find a cable on eBay with the p/n's I was able to locate, seems like you could do a DB9 breakout into whatever you wanted it to see next assuming there isn't something squirreled away in the cable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195512006300

And then a different version at american milspec with what appears to be a parallel plug:

https://www.american-milspec.com/p-6501-harris-falcon-ii-rf-5800hh-dte-data-cable-12011-0210-a006-new.aspx

You've probably already seen those, but it seems like if the mechanical connections are made, the FALCON II front keypad should be recognized and talk to the radio. Unsure about that wrist KDU, though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#27]

I asked BG7IPY
View Quote
I honestly don't remember where you put up your work. I'll go search for it shortly. But if you are collaborating with him; kind of surprised he's cool with talking to people hacking his stuff.

Is it worth trying to find out exactly what the rf board is capable of? If the only thing that's happening is it's being steered with old school AT commands, is there something more agile that would fit into that footprint that's more characterized? No real point reinventing the wheel, or am I missing an angle here?

Can the ESP accept another data stream, like NMEA, for instance? What are the limitations of using it as the base? Is there something the DIY RF community is already using that would be easier to code for?

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:01:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike327] [#28]
I honestly don't remember where you put up your work. I'll go search for it shortly. But if you are collaborating with him; kind of surprised he's cool with talking to people hacking his stuff.

Is it worth trying to find out exactly what the rf board is capable of? If the only thing that's happening is it's being steered with old school AT commands, is there something more agile that would fit into that footprint that's more characterized? No real point reinventing the wheel, or am I missing an angle here?

Can the ESP accept another data stream, like NMEA, for instance? What are the limitations of using it as the base? Is there something the DIY RF community is already using that would be easier to code for?
View Quote

Not collaborating with BG7IPY, just bothering him.
But the marketing materials explicitly say 'open source software for ham radio hacking' so I think they're fairly friendly to the idea and they went to some trouble to get the ESP32 code opened up. Which I'm very grateful for!

If you think of the RF board as a dual band, higher power SA818 I think it'll be an extremely accurate comparison, overall.
I am not aware of anything near-drop-in with a similar power out, but there's plenty of physical space. That's exactly what Josh was working with an eye towards.
In general a >30dBm VHF/UHF open source module capable of 4FSK would open up a lot of avenues for a lot of different radio projects - there's lot of lower power ~0dBm radios, and a few data radios like the F4HDK radios that get to 27dBm courtesy of an all-in-one chip, but the RF engineering that goes into real power seems to be a high bar. For that alone I'd say it's worth understanding it better, at least to see what we can do with a stock radio and a firmware upgrade.

Could we add a GPS? No idea if it could be shoehorned in internally. Over the side serial port, certainly.
It has wifi, though, so that could be a good path of least resistance for adding additional stuff, plus a plausible way to do short range high bandwidth applications.
No bluetooth on this model but it's plenty powerful, which is very interesting compared to a lot of the other platforms we've been hacking on (like the MD-380/MD-UV380).

Nothing's standardized so nicely, but OpenRTX could be a good candidate to port to the ESP32 platform eventually.
Like many things, dev time is the limiting factor.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:19:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Josh] [#29]

But the marketing materials explicitly say 'open source software for ham radio hacking' so I think they're fairly friendly to the idea and they went to some trouble to get the ESP32 code opened up. Which I'm very grateful for!

If you think of the RF board as a dual band, higher power SA818 I think it'll be an extremely accurate comparison, overall.
I am not aware of anything near-drop-in with a similar power out, but there's plenty of physical space. That's exactly what Josh was working with an eye towards.
In general a >30dBm VHF/UHF open source module capable of 4FSK would open up a lot of avenues for a lot of different radio projects - there's lot of lower power ~0dBm radios, and a few data radios like the F4HDK radios that get to 27dBm courtesy of an all-in-one chip, but the RF engineering that goes into real power seems to be a high bar.

Could we add a GPS? No idea if it could be shoehorned in internally. Over the side serial port, certainly.
It has wifi, though, so that could be a good path of least resistance for adding additional stuff, plus a plausible way to do short range high bandwidth applications.
No bluetooth on this model but it's plenty powerful, which is very interesting compared to a lot of the other platforms we've been hacking on (like the MD-380/MD-UV380).

Nothing's standardized so nicely, but OpenRTX could be a good candidate to port to the ESP32 platform eventually.

View All Quotes

In general a >30dBm VHF/UHF open source module capable of 4FSK would open up a lot of avenues for a lot of different radio projects - there's lot of lower power ~0dBm radios, and a few data radios like the F4HDK radios that get to 27dBm courtesy of an all-in-one chip, but the RF engineering that goes into real power seems to be a high bar.

I’ve sort of half heartedly started an openrtx port for it, but as you say - time..  I have a low power cc1200 hardware solution (the board for that is on my GitHub - it’s based on other work, I didn’t make it all up myself) that should work for FM and most of the FSK modes, but it’s going to require a ton of firmware and the more I look at it the more I think it’s easier to build something more flexible.  Well, “easier” in terms of future expandibility and band coverage, not development time.

I’m probably going to send out several designs I’ve been working on for build in the next couple of months to facilitate development work on this - but school started today and I started a new job today so I have a lot of competing priorities.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#30]

I’ve sort of half heartedly started an openrtx port for it, but as you say - time..  I have a low power cc1200 hardware solution (the board for that is on my GitHub - it’s based on other work, I didn’t make it all up myself) that should work for FM and most of the FSK modes, but it’s going to require a ton of firmware and the more I look at it the more I think it’s easier to build something more flexible.  Well, “easier” in terms of future expandibility and band coverage, not development time.

View Quote

Dammit, I really need to finish up my current projects, now I want to work on this thing.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Dammit, I really need to finish up my current projects, now I want to work on this thing.

View All Quotes

Never enough time….
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Mike and another OpenRTX/M17 dev did a thing with the FCS firmware. I helped a bit.
Specifically the frequency input bug is fixed. There'll be a release up soon.

It builds really easily with standard Arduino tools, and we figured out how to get to the ESP32 bootloader and flash it manually using those same tools.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:43:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#33]

Hah! I just now figured out that Google was saying "Only showing results in English" (which was patently false). Adding the various pictogram languages made it show up on the first page. Doh! Thank you.

I asked BG7IPY if he has any details or contacts for the A002 he can share. Probably not, based on talking with him earlier, but worth asking just in case.
I think your plan of replacing the RF board entirely is the way to go, but given the way it's built currently I still hope to investigate M17 compatibility Soon (TM).

I've been meaning to help out more - on this and a lot of other things - but I have two projects I'm trying very hard to finish and not abandon first. They're...going. Slowly.
View All Quotes

Link?
I keep finding links to UV pens even when changing the language search preference.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Link?
I keep finding links to UV pens even when changing the language search preference.
View Quote

Same one that Josh posted earlier: http://www.hhttalk.com/cn/product.asp
This search url works for me in a new private tab even though it's not on the first page anymore. Look for the hhttalk url.
https://www.google.com/search?q='a002-u-v'&hl=en&source=lnt&tbs=li:1&sa=X#ip=1
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#35]

This search url works for me in a new private tab even though it's not on the first page anymore. Look for the hhttalk url.
View All Quotes

Link?

Guess I'm dumb. I see the page but nothing linking to firmware. I'm using the excuse of reading reports at work non stop for a week as a reason I can't think clearly right now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Guess I'm dumb. I see the page but nothing linking to firmware. I'm using the excuse of reading reports at work non stop for a week as a reason I can't think clearly right now.
View Quote

Are you talking about FCS firmware? I think he said it was on their site somewhere. I don't remember either of them saying there was anything but the picture of the board in question on that manufacturers' site...
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike327] [#37]

View Quote

Oh! No, not dumb. I got confused.
Original firmware source code for the FCS-152 and CPS binary is here: http://www.fcs-tactical.com/OSIC

And the newly fixed firmware isn't out yet. I'll link here when it is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#38]

Original firmware source code for the FCS-152 and CPS binary is here: http://www.fcs-tactical.com/OSIC

View All Quotes

Awesome. Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Awesome. Thanks.

View Quote

https://github.com/tarxvftech/FCS-152/releases/tag/xvf_2.1.000

Try it out. I have no idea how to flash the firmware the 'right' way, I did the same thing as in the instructions and just built the code and flashed with Arduino.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Try it out. I have no idea how to flash the firmware the 'right' way, I did the same thing as in the instructions and just built the code and flashed with Arduino.
View All Quotes

Awesome. Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#41]
What does this new firmware do? Poked around the github, but it starts to get a little in depth for an amateur like myself. Appreciate the work nonetheless.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 12:55:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Saoirse:
What does this new firmware do? Poked around the github, but it starts to get a little in depth for an amateur like myself. Appreciate the work nonetheless.
View Quote

It (should) fix the frequency input issues.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone have a line on someone who can look into/repair the u-283 connector on a TRI 152? I pulled it apart since trying it on my silynx earpro (it didn't work like it's supposed to) and it looks like ass inside, and these days life has taken a toll and I find I'm not able to solder and do small work like I use to.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By cleaner:
Anyone have a line on someone who can look into/repair the u-283 connector on a TRI 152? I pulled it apart since trying it on my silynx earpro (it didn't work like it's supposed to) and it looks like ass inside, and these days life has taken a toll and I find I'm not able to solder and do small work like I use to.
View Quote

Are you just resoldering the old one back in or trying to get a new one in?

Is the old one a legit one or Chinese made?

Ebay has new ones if you want to replace it with a good one.

I can't do it,  just curious.  Good luck
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By juan223:

View Quote

Really hoping to find a new one as I'm pretty sure the original one is Chinese made. The locking ring on it threads on from the inside of the radio instead of the outside like most parts I've seen for sale. Can't remember if the real Harris is inside or outside lock ring
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Really hoping to find a new one as I'm pretty sure the original one is Chinese made. The locking ring on it threads on from the inside of the radio instead of the outside like most parts I've seen for sale. Can't remember if the real Harris is inside or outside lock ring
View Quote

Looking at this TCA version I suspect a real deal one won't work but I'm no tech fella.

Does yours look like this inside as far as how the connecter is seated, secured and wired?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:49:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#47]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By juan223:

Inside.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

This is the inside of the TRI
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File
On a side note, the ribbon cable coming in from the right is from the side connector, looks like something someone could trace and find it's pinout
Page / 24
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 21 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top