Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 19 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd be really happy if someone just made a basic ass, standalone APRS device that could connect to a radio without a phone/tablet/pc intermediary of some sort.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:sending texts via APRS
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:23:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#2]

Just being able to run the radio on the back of a PC is worth the price of admission alone. Biggest difference I’ve noticed is VERY good RX on air band compared to the 2018 versions. I’ve been trying to find Brazilian SATCOM pirates in the 1.25m band but they’ve been quiet for a while now.

My KDU has hard impacted concrete twice in the last week and is absolutely fine.

I’ve yet to find a feature in the radio that can’t be controlled via KDU. Don’t have to take gloves off to jam keys anymore is a solid bonus.

Best iteration of the 152 clones I’ve laid hands on thus far. TCA is still the king for the 148s.

Originally Posted By MustyWaffles:
Hasn't been an update in a minute, how are the owners of the newer models with the KDUs liking them?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I really would like to have one of those radios and some associated items.  My last Larp in the remote SC mountains resulted in a heart attack and wife demands I only walk where an ambulance can go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:55:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#4]
Very sorry to hear that. Glad you came out on this side of the dirt.

With 15W PEP you could always double it as a field expedient AED.

Originally Posted By radioshooter:
I really would like to have one of those radios and some associated items.  My last Larp in the remote SC mountains resulted in a heart attack and wife demands I only walk where an ambulance can go.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By OutlanderSystems:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By radioshooter:

Wasn't the first and I hope it wasn't the next to last!

I did convert a 2nd degree AV node block to a bundle branch block. It kind of a funky looking EKG. Still got a strong pulse. I'll be back to walking soon. I'm going to pickup a new dual band HT of some sorts regardless.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I seem to have misplaced the power supply for my charger.  Can anyone recommend a replacement?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a specific recommendation, but here is a pic of the label on mine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#8]
That helps.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have a link to whoever is selling a bundle with the radio and KDU? Or are they separate?

And some decent batteries?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Reputable Source

Batteries can be picked up on eBay pretty easily.

Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
Anyone have a link to whoever is selling a bundle with the radio and KDU? Or are they separate?

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

View Quote

I bought mine NIB with KDU from an ebay seller "shiqinxi_0". No issues other than it took a month to receive from China but that was expected.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Reputable Source

View Quote

IG links to his FB which doesn't give prices.  Any idea what he sells the Radio and KDU for?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:

IG links to his FB which doesn't give prices.  Any idea what he sells the Radio and KDU for?
View All Quotes
Reputable Source

Mine was $438 for new TRI152 and KDU.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone replaced a speaker?  Mine sounds like hell lately...
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:35:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gloworm19] [#15]
Originally Posted By bubbahana:
Anyone replaced a speaker?  Mine sounds like hell lately...
View Quote
I saw something in this thread awhile back about a Motorola kit that would fit, but I could never find one, and stopped looking.

There's got to be something out there that would work
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Most milsim operators use a handset or a headset rather than the internal speaker? If you using it in a PS environment,  Motorola parts might be indicated. Otherwise you may have to open it up to get the speaker diameter and get something online.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
good to know you boys have carried this on while I was essentially away for a couple years.. (with work, not prison)
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:
good to know you boys have carried this on while I was essentially away for a couple years.. (with work, not prison)
View Quote
You seen the FCS version?

Also, I have fallen out of love with the 152. The AN/PRC-163 is the new sexx. (doffs hat) she's purrty
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
You seen the FCS version?

Also, I have fallen out of love with the 152. The AN/PRC-163 is the new sexx. (doffs hat) she's purrty
View Quote

To say the '163 has had a troubled development is the understatement of the decade. It looks great on paper but in my personal experience and that of other users I have talked to it is underwhelming in many ways.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I'd love to hear more!
I thought they had learned from the MBITR and 152 submersible issues, and made something that makes sense for once. Lol guess I was wrong... (but that's Harris for you. We will make it how we want, and you will like it)
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I really, really want to like this. But it seems like a very expensive Baofeng in a fancy case with a few neat accessories like the use of a keypad module. Anyone know if they plan on adding digital modes to it or doing more with it? Doing nothing but simple analogue seems like such a waste.

Or have I totally misread the product?
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:
I really, really want to like this. But it seems like a very expensive Baofeng in a fancy case with a few neat accessories like the use of a keypad module. Anyone know if they plan on adding digital modes to it or doing more with it? Doing nothing but simple analogue seems like such a waste.

Or have I totally misread the product?
View Quote

The older ones were pretty baofeng'y than the new ones but yes most of what this brings to the table is LARP looks and feel. What else does it bring?
-It can take real Harris Batteries
-It can take real PTTs and other audio accessories
-Depending on the model 10w of power
-mine has AM airband
-Mine has 220mhz
-Allegedly they are going to have TRI models with 6m but I haven't seen any
-KDU so you can stash it in your pack and run it remotely

Did I miss anything?

Bottom line, there are probably superior radios out there but its got a few unique features and defiantly turns heads as a conversation piece.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Hayachi,

You would be surprised how big the milsim market is world wide. Seems to be more popular in Europe than here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:57:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a question for you guys:
I've been playing around with mine recently, and noticed that when you switch between channels from the radio memory, the CTCSS doesn't switch to the CTCSS used for each channel. I know I changed these when I memorised the channels and I feel like I can swear that they used to change along with the main frequency when I got the radio in the first place.
Is it just me mistaking this for the Baofeng, which I know changed the CTCSS along with main frequency and the TRI PRC-152 never did?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TeroRider:
I've been playing around with mine recently, and noticed that when you switch between channels from the radio memory, the CTCSS doesn't switch to the CTCSS used for each channel. I know I changed these when I memorised the channels and I feel like I can swear that they used to change along with the main frequency when I got the radio in the first place.
Is it just me mistaking this for the Baofeng, which I know changed the CTCSS along with main frequency and the TRI PRC-152 never did?
View Quote

Once I store the memory it recalls everything correctly including the CTCSS. maybe clear the channel and reprogram it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Could you be going from like a vfo mode to a channel mode?

Are you programming from chirp, or hand jamming your mission plan?
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#27]
A recent screenshot from FB

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I think he's mistaken in that I don't think the FCS offering does anything with the actual harris product or accessories (outside of the dumb ones like audio and batteries and cabling).

It would be super cool if it did though.

I still hope that FCS will make one with a real VHF-lo capability though. And put some bigger pills in them finals LOL
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#29]
I think he's mistaken in that I don't think the FCS offering does anything with the actual harris product or accessories (outside of the dumb ones like audio and batteries and cabling).

It would be super cool if it did though.

I still hope that FCS will make one with a real VHF-lo capability though. And put some bigger pills in them finals LOL
View Quote

I think it's a translation thing.  He's saying that version operates in a manner more similar to that of a real HARRIS radio.  Screen, keypresses, etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#30]

I think it's a translation thing.  He's saying that version operates in a manner more similar to that of a real HARRIS radio.  Screen, keypresses, etc.
View Quote

That was my assumption, too, but... you never know lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Could you be going from like a vfo mode to a channel mode?

Are you programming from chirp, or hand jamming your mission plan?
View Quote

Nope, I verified I am in the correct mode.

I am hand jamming everything.

Maybe will try to clear and reprogram it again
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I've skimmed this thread so please forgive me if I missed it somewhere but what's the groups opinion on whether the 148 or 152 clone is better? Are the guts/menu system roughly the same? I've used the real deal 148's and 152's so I don't really care about the aesthetics - I'm mainly interested in the ruggedness of the radio bodies, and batteries with replaceable cells. I'm tired of the Yaesu/Icom HT batteries that last 4 hours and don't hold a charge after 2 years - waste of my time and money.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CallMeColt] [#33]
View Quote

I don't come on this forum a lot, and hate to come on just to share a video, but this is something that I found and it bothered the CRAP out of me on this radio!

Even though the screen doesn't show it, your settings are saved and recalled. I made a video talking about it & here it is;

TRI PRC 152 - Menu not matching channel settings & other firmware glitches explained
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm still working on getting the latest model TRI 152 to work with a VRC-110 mount.

So far, I have learned it will not interface with the side pins with 100% certainty and this also means that the amplifier won't work as it is because of this. If communicates with firmware to work.

What does work, is that charging of the real Harris batteries along with it powering up and everything.

I was able to find some unicorn adapter wires to the amplified speakers in the vehicle and hook in so that I can use the speaker system, headsets, PTT, handsets, and all that with the radio off of vehicle power.

I'm in need of the Technical Manual for the VRC-110 mount to get the wiring diagrams internally. I'd like to gut the inside and make my own interface that isn't the unicorn adapters I have now with wires running all over. Then, splice everything together inside of the VRC-110 mount and have it run out the proper channels to the speakers / intercom system. I could then also easily add an amplifier, bluetooth, and 3.5mm jack to all this for limitless integration.

This setup could then really be used to connect any device... radio, phone, computer, ect.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Why would you do that to that piece of equipment? Sell it, make one with a 3D printer, take the leftover money and buy a dedicated radio to leave in it. (shrugs)

I know others have tried it in the past. Definitely until this last revision of radio, none of them actually did anything with the port. People get confused, because it looks like a Harris, it works like a Harris. It's a toy radio with prehensile features. The very first ones were just a shell, you plugged another radio into the inside, and maybe the ptt worked.

These last sets, I know people are trying to decompile the firmware and wireshark the comms path between the radio and the faux remote/kdu, but I haven't kept up with how fruitful it's been. Might be something on github, but don't quote me on that.

Honestly, I expected way more out of the FCS version than they offered. For a SDR, and a lot of real estate compared to some triband amateur handhelds... they left a lot on the table.

It's a process.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:26:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeroRider] [#36]
Originally Posted By CallMeColt:

I don't come on this forum a lot, and hate to come on just to share a video, but this is something that I found and it bothered the CRAP out of me on this radio!

Even though the screen doesn't show it, your settings are saved and recalled. I made a video talking about it & here it is;

TRI PRC 152 - Menu not matching channel settings & other firmware glitches explained
View Quote

Thank you so much for this!!
Really helpful, and definitely that's my issue I'm experiencing!
Fan of your YouTube channel too!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Thank you so much for this!!
Really helpful, and definitely that's my issue I'm experiencing!
Fan of your channel too!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Okkkkk....
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

This mans poor translation summed up what most of the thread has been asking. There goes an hour and change of my life!
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:20:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeroRider] [#39]

I can't get the reply thing to work, I'm sorry. My previous comment was towards CallMeColt and referenced his YouTube channel
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 9:06:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike327] [#40]
Does anyone have one of the FCS radios and can verify for a fact that it's the v2 hardware with the ESP32?
I can only find a single aliexpress listing with no real details, and a yoycart listing that seems to indicate it's the 'trial' hardware.

Edit: Fuckit, I bought the aliexpress listing. We'll see what I get.
Edit2: Seller removed the listing. Probably doesn't actually have any.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#41]

I can't get the reply thing to work, I'm sorry. My previous comment was towards CallMeColt and referenced his YouTube channel
View All Quotes

You're good!
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mike327:
Does anyone have one of the FCS radios and can verify for a fact that it's the v2 hardware with the ESP32?
I can only find a single aliexpress listing with no real details, and a yoycart listing that seems to indicate it's the 'trial' hardware.

Edit: Fuckit, I bought the aliexpress listing. We'll see what I get.
Edit2: Seller removed the listing. Probably doesn't actually have any.
View Quote

As far as I know, Rev 1.0 (Trial version) only went out to a handful of beta testers. Retail release comes as Rev v2.0. No way to verify if it has the ESP32S2 module unless I crack it open (which I don't intend to do).
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Evintos:

As far as I know, Rev 1.0 (Trial version) only went out to a handful of beta testers. Retail release comes as Rev v2.0. No way to verify if it has the ESP32S2 module unless I crack it open (which I don't intend to do).
https://i.imgur.com/bqudeHk.jpg
View Quote

From the displayed versions and the source code, you're almost certainly running the ESP32 hardware. Nice! Where did you buy it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 11:13:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evintos] [#44]
Originally Posted By Mike327:

From the displayed versions and the source code, you're almost certainly running the ESP32 hardware. Nice! Where did you buy it?
View Quote

Sent a private message (via Facebook) to ShiQing with my order list (I ordered 2x everything including 2 custom PTTs) and he sent a invoice via Paypal. Paid the invoice with a credit card (no extra 3% CC fee or anything like that). Shipped via DHL from Hong Kong. Screenshot of the tracking of how fast the radios were delivered to me.

FCS PRC152 is $300 USD
4x18650 cells - $15 (I was sent Samsung INR18650-35E cells)
FCS KdU - $130
Shipping to IL - $45

Facebook -  https://www.facebook.com/cyanpoem
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/shiqingshiqing/
Not sure what his Ebay store is but it's cheaper via private message since there are no Ebay fees nor sales tax.

Edited to add below -
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Sent a private message (via Facebook) to ShiQing with my order list (I ordered 2x everything including 2 custom PTTs) and he sent a invoice via Paypal. Paid the invoice with a credit card (no extra 3% CC fee or anything like that). Shipped via DHL from Hong Kong. Screenshot of the tracking of how fast the radios were delivered to me.

FCS PRC152 is $300 USD
FCS KdU - $130
Shipping to IL - $45

Not sure what his Ebay store is but it's cheaper via private message since there are no Ebay fees nor sales tax.

https://i.imgur.com/FUEK1i4.png
View Quote

That's significantly cheaper than what I paid on AliExpress. I'll probably get another one (or two) and I'll know what to expect to boot.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#46]
A few questions for those with current Tri 15w models:

1- Are you still using the provided antenna, or have you gone to an aftermarket antenna and if so which one, and would you recommend it or another?

2- In a "normal" day of use what are you seeing for battery life with the Tri batteries vs the Harris batteries (if you have them)?

3- If you have the KDU version how often do you find yourself using it or does it sit forgotten in your go bag?

4- What makes the 152+KDU more desirable than just the radio only? (We've had 152s here at work for over 10 years and I've never seen a KDU nor met anyone here that has seen one in use here)

4- What, if any, aftermarket items did you purchase to make deployment/function more convenient?

5- How often do you find yourself grabbing the 152 vs another HT?

6- If you had to purchase another of the same model, would you repeat your purchase or wait for the mythical HF/V/U model with APRS/BT function?

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#47]

FCS PRC152 is $300 USD
FCS KdU - $130
Shipping to IL - $45

https://i.imgur.com/FUEK1i4.png

Edited to add below -
https://i.imgur.com/9S5NEvX.png
View Quote

I take it the lower band stuff like the 10m versions aren't being made anymore?
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By KYB762:

1- Are you still using the provided antenna, or have you gone to an aftermarket antenna and if so which one, and would you recommend it or another?

2- In a "normal" day of use what are you seeing for battery life with the Tri batteries vs the Harris batteries (if you have them)?

3- If you have the KDU version how often do you find yourself using it or does it sit forgotten in your go bag?

4- What makes the 152+KDU more desirable than just the radio only? (We've had 152s here at work for over 10 years and I've never seen a KDU nor met anyone here that has seen one in use here)

4- What, if any, aftermarket items did you purchase to make deployment/function more convenient?

6- If you had to purchase another of the same model, would you repeat your purchase or wait for the mythical HF/V/U model with APRS/BT function?

View Quote
Ditto, +1.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

I take it the lower band stuff like the 10m versions aren't being made anymore?
View Quote

In the years I have searched, I've seen precisely one. Somewhere in this thread is a discussion about them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By KYB762:

View Quote

1) I use the provided antenna. It's huge but works fine.  I bought a folded blade type antenna (the full size) but you definitely need the gooseneck version which I didn't get.

2) I only have the tri battery and life is great although I typically run low or medium power. The 15w is great but ultimately the power drain vs minimal dB improvement is not worth it for me.

3) KDU is a toy. Not waterproof or rugged at all. It does work but I see little functional use except as an aesthetic piece to "look the part". However looking the part is the main reason for getting one so YMMV.

4) see 3. I find very little value added from the KDU. If I was starting over I'd skip the KDU.

Second 4) i bought a nexus PTT for my headset and a antenna remote kit. Oh and a 152 pouch.

5) Its a conversation piece to me honestly. Its just not as flexible as any of my other options. If I'm just doing something like training where I just need to talk to guys with headset on one GMRS freq and I'm wearing PC? Sure I'd use it.

6) I'd pick the version with the most matured firmware.  My TRI has lots of quirks which don't make it unusable but it does make it more cumbersome.
Page / 24
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 19 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top