BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 10 of 25)
Page / 25
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:11:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyG] [#1]
Just a Heads-up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harris-PRC-152-L123-Lithium-Radio-Battery-Holder-RF-5911-PS002-12050-2005-01/254285958724?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

At $17.96 each and free shipping ( if you buy two or more), I am thinking I could modify one of the battery boxes, with banana plug binding posts, to accept external power from any 12vdc power source, like a desktop regulated power supply, or a car's cig lighter/power port outlet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Gunny, I ordered 3 and intend to turn one into a battery eliminator terminated with Anderson power poles for power supply use as you stated
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 5:42:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reaperatm] [#3]
oops
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
What’s the small electronic next it? And is that the TCA or TRI?
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the nomenclature for the antenna on that kit?
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:

What's the nomenclature for the antenna on that kit?
View Quote
Just some sort of blade antenna.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Reaperatm:

What’s the small electronic next it? And is that the TCA or TRI?
View Quote
Harris KDU. Radio is a TCA. I prefer it to the TRI.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 7:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#8]
Originally Posted By GunnyG:
Just a Heads-up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harris-PRC-152-L123-Lithium-Radio-Battery-Holder-RF-5911-PS002-12050-2005-01/254285958724?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

At $17.96 each and free shipping ( if you buy two or more), I am thinking I could modify one of the battery boxes, with banana plug binding posts, to accept external power from any 12vdc power source, like a desktop regulated power supply, or a car's cig lighter/power port outlet.
View Quote
Often that doesnt work. Or will run the radio in a low power mode. At least for the real thing. Might work for these.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:
Often that doesnt work. Or will run the radio in a low power mode. At least for the real thing. Might work for these.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GunnyG:
Just a Heads-up:

I bought a legit battery eliminator for a 152 and it works great.

This is the one with the 10-30v voltage regulator built in. Worth $65 in my mind.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 4:42:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Been following this thread for awhile now. Haven’t noticed much of an update. Overall though since I’ll be looking to pull the trigger and get one of these after the new year....what’s the bottom line census? Tri or TCA?

I’ve been told both the newer models CAN readily use a standard ptt and mil headset like the comtac or sordin with no modifications vs older gen models that would require an amped ptt or some mods.

Right now the boys an I are using them baofengs with modded ptt adapters and adapters that allow us to use regular unmodded ptt’s (hope that makes sense). The prc 152 reps are something we’d like to add to our inventory of comms.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
doesnt do shit unfortunately. wish it could lol

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

doesnt do shit unfortunately. wish it could lol

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/283538/78872261_506733989929695_7325731652984897536_n_jpg-1197912.JPG
View Quote
Assuming the side adapter you are using is p/n 12041-5663-02 I have a few of those and they do not work for running a KDU on my real '152. the p/n for the side adapter that I am using that does work is 12041-5490. this is a one piece side mate/cable.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Toad_77:

Assuming the side adapter you are using is p/n 12041-5663-02 I have a few of those and they do not work for running a KDU on my real '152. the p/n for the side adapter that I am using that does work is 12041-5490. this is a one piece side mate/cable.
View Quote
I’ll check in a bit.  You have one that works on tri or tca radio?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#14]
What's the screen / button thingy?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 4:10:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#15]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:

What's the screen / button thingy?
View Quote
Called a KDU (keyed display unit), basically a remote head that clones the screen and buttons on the radio itself.  There is also a version that connects to two radios at the same time and toggles between controlling either one.  The idea is you could have one or two radios mounted on your back or in a pack and have the KDU routed out to be easily accessible to you, like mounted to your fore-arm or tucked into an admin pouch, etc.  Gives streamlined control of the radio(s) without having to pull the whole radio itself from a pouch.

This all applies of course to the real Harris radios.  I would have no illusions that they would function with these clone radios without some custom software tweaking.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Toad_77:

View Quote
12041-5662-01
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:23:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Toad_77] [#17]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

I’ll check in a bit.  You have one that works on tri or tca radio?
View Quote
Harris, legit '152 at my office.

eta: I was pointing out that the side adapter that I have that is like the one in your picture doesn't work for a KDU on the radio that I have.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Called a KDU (keyed display unit), basically a remote head that clones the screen and buttons on the radio itself.  There is also a version that connects to two radios at the same time and toggles between controlling either one.  The idea is you could have one or two radios mounted on your back or in a pack and have the KDU routed out to be easily accessible to you, like mounted to your fore-arm or tucked into an admin pouch, etc.  Gives streamlined control of the radio(s) without having to pull the whole radio itself from a pouch.

This all applies of course to the real Harris radios.  I would have no illusions that they would function with these clone radios without some custom software tweaking.
View Quote
It does nothing for the clone radios. I believe there is a company that is working on making them work but so far the only photos and write ups I’ve seen have been for TRI 148s. It’s just something cool to have.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:57:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jake-cutter] [#19]
Anybody heard of any updated offerings such as the Falco Communications 117G? Would like to pick one up to complement my 152.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the 117g shell has been released, but I haven't heard anything about anything that actually works
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
I think the 117g shell has been released, but I haven't heard anything about anything that actually works
View Quote
https://www.tacticalgeartrade.com/tri-instrument-prc-117g-versatile-two-stage-fm-radio.html

First I've seen it in stock
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AJ-0311:
https://www.tacticalgeartrade.com/tri-instrument-prc-117g-versatile-two-stage-fm-radio.html

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AJ-0311:

Add it to your cart and it tells you it’s back ordered. That’s been on their site like that for ages.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Makes sense, I saw another site that was always "out of stock", just ran across this one but didn't try to order it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#24]
There are no more OEM TRI units. They are not making them according to everybody close to Triumph. The shells are from tca? I forget right at this second. Whoever I'm waiting to make the 152, them lol
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Wondering how the TCA 148s are holding up?  There was something mentioned about multiple repeater options and did anything else come up about them?  Where have they been purchased?

I saw this link listed with a PRC148 battery box that takes 18650s.  Guys with the TCA 148 does your battery box take 18650s?  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#26]
What?

There are no more OEM TRI units. They are not making them according to everybody close to Triumph. The shells are from tca? I forget right at this second. Whoever I'm waiting to make the 152, them lol
View All Quotes
I like them a lot. My only complaint is that you're limited to 16 channel names total, if you're programming via FPP.

Everything about them seems better built than the TRI148. The TCA 148 comes from the factory with an 18650 battery adapter and charger.

Originally Posted By chR15:
Wondering how the TCA 148s are holding up?  There was something mentioned about multiple repeater options and did anything else come up about them?  Where have they been purchased?

I saw this link listed with a PRC148 battery box that takes 18650s.  Guys with the TCA 148 does your battery box take 18650s?  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:40:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#27]
Total cherry newb here, be gentle. I see the 148s/152s for sale on various sites, as well as AliExpress etc... for, call it $300ish. What exactly is the draw of these things? Is it the encryption? I know BaoFeng's aren't rugged (UV82HP has some type of IP rating, no idea how good) but the Icom's and Yaesu's have tougher models, right?

Just curious, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:46:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#28]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Total cherry newb here, be gentle. I see the 148s/152s for sale on various sites, as well as AliExpress etc... for, call it $300ish. What exactly is the draw of these things? Is it the encryption? I know BaoFeng's aren't rugged (UV82HP has some type of IP rating, no idea how good) but the Icom's and Yaesu's have tougher models, right?

Just curious, thanks.
View Quote
There is no encryption on these worthy of the name if any at all. The draw AFAIK is that they "look like" the military ones, but have no improved capability of a ham HT aside from 10W vs 5W, which isn't really worth it for the very minimal range improvement that gives. A yaesu VX5,6 or 7 is a better radio IMO.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#29]

There is no encryption on these worthy of the name if any at all. The draw AFAIK is that they "look like" the military ones, but have no improved capability of a ham HT aside from 10W vs 5W, which isn't really worth it for the very minimal range improvement that gives.
View Quote
The benefit is the IP rating, the 6 pin connector, the wide range coverage, the surprisingly good firmware, and the compatibility with surplus batteries.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By phurba:

The benefit is the IP rating, the 6 pin connector, the wide range coverage, the surprisingly good firmware, and the compatibility with surplus batteries.
View Quote
Fair enough.

But you can't program them via computer right?
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Fair enough.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By phurba:

Fair enough.

From what I recall no.  I am looking into these for the robustness and the battery life.  They can take surplus batts or boxes with 18650s and I hear batter life is great.  Being able to connect to my peltors and look like the one I carried is a plus.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Fair enough.

View Quote
Not that I know of. Annoying if you have to do a fleet of them but I programmed mine while watching TV and got it down to about 30 seconds per channel.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Cool, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#34]
The TCAs can be programmed via computer / software.

The TRIs can NOT.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Where'd y'all get your TCA PRC-148s?  I see the TCA website and ebay has a couple sellers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I snagged mine off eBay.

Where'd y'all get your TCA PRC-148s?  I see the TCA website and ebay has a couple sellers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Can we (or I ) get some solid input from those that have bought one on their duribility and worth?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, they can operate after being shot with a 9mm so there’s that.

Originally Posted By Ledbetter117:
Can we (or I ) get some solid input from those that have bought one on their duribility and worth?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Ledbetter117:
View Quote
ONLY talking about the metal body versions, I haven't heard of anyone outright disgusted with them. The heartburn comes from people nostalgic for the Real Steel Harris, and these things just aren't there yet. So, accessories don't completely line up (dumb items like handmikes and headphones yes / anything that passes data no), the antenna jack can be fragile, and you may wind up handjamming an entire load plan into the unit, because only certain ones will do computer programming. At their heart is a board cribbed from $15 dollar / Wish.com tier ham radios. Antennas, you have to be SUPER careful with, because we are awash in replicas. SOME replicas work. Others just look correct, but have precisely dick inside. There is no simple test to discern which is which, either.

So, durability: too big an investment for airsofters, so they try to baby them, put giant antennas on them then are shocked when the antenna port breaks. Few in the hands of real end users, they are all running LMR bricks that they can buy in bulk off ebay and won't cry when one is on the bottom of the river bed or bounces out of the range truck.

Worth: If you want the -152 look, they are the tits. Weather them a bit, and add a rack number and you can cause serious heartburn around .mil types. (I want a beige one to upset certain .fed types around here lol)

If you want a weather resistant / knuckledragger resistant radio that does a lot of stuff, and weight is an issue, and size is an issue...

look elsewhere.

Break (lol)

I have heard zero out of that guy who said his company was building the be-all end-all 152 replicas. (shrugs)
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I appreciate the response. I've been eying these for about 8 months now. Part for that same nostalgia that you mentioned. Part for the supposed durability.

Weight and size are defiantly not an issue. Ather incentivizing part is that I have a fair bit of .mil accessories (comtacs, ptt's, antenna's, batteries, etc). I figured the internals were the equivalence to a baofeng. But have wondered if anyone out there could swap-out the boards from a more high-quality radio. If the boards could be upgraded and the antenna connection point be reinforced, it seems like it is potentially the best radio one could buy for less then $1k.

Does anyone know of a POC in the HAM section who might e a subject matter expert on potentially modding one?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks again guys, got a TCA PRC-148 on the way.  I think there is a small niche here for a decent product.  I searched awhile back for a solution and never really came up with one as nothing checked all the boxes....except an actual 148.  A lot could be said about a radio that already has standard connections, 6 pin, PRC batteries, hell use the 6 pin for programming or a secured usb micro port, and encryption (for business use only!) and away we go.  With more and more people seemingly waking up, comms will be more important and I'll end on that.  Got a Thales ant(not the long whip) inroute too, figure it'll be more robust and maybe actually tuned for the advertised freqs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By OutlanderSystems:
I snagged mine off eBay.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OutlanderSystems:
I snagged mine off eBay.

So which vendors on ebay are good for the TCA-148's? I know for the 152's there were several vendors that weren't good and some that were.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I think there is a small niche here for a decent product.
View Quote
Dude

IF they made a commercial grade portable radio that functioned like a ham radio on a pricepoint that was less than my first car... it would be a literal license to print money. (I realize how impossible that is, especially with regulation and licensing, but like the baofengs, occasionally someone says fuckit and does it anyway).
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:24:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chR15] [#44]
Dude

IF they made a commercial grade portable radio that functioned like a ham radio on a pricepoint that was less than my first car... it would be a literal license to print money. (I realize how impossible that is, especially with regulation and licensing, but like the baofengs, occasionally someone says fuckit and does it anyway).
View All Quotes
I think there is a small niche here for a decent product.
Dude

Business use only. I'd buy 6 right now. Got a TCA inroute, got my 18560s and waiting on dickhead to send my antenna.
Edit- Read back through the thread and didn't see a link or surplus switch 148 batts mentioned?  Anyone got a lead on a couple for a decent price? Someone mentioned 152 batts work on 148s but I'd rather stick to the same makes if possible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks again guys, got a TCA PRC-148 on the way.  I think there is a small niche here for a decent product.  I searched awhile back for a solution and never really came up with one as nothing checked all the boxes....except an actual 148.  A lot could be said about a radio that already has standard connections, 6 pin, PRC batteries, hell use the 6 pin for programming or a secured usb micro port, and encryption (for business use only!) and away we go.  With more and more people seemingly waking up, comms will be more important and I'll end on that.  Got a Thales ant(not the long whip) inroute too, figure it'll be more robust and maybe actually tuned for the advertised freqs.
View Quote
The thales ants are broadband they suck equally across their advertised range.. You are probably better off with a ham ant efficency wise.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#46]
The thales ants are broadband they suck equally across their advertised range.. You are probably better off with a ham ant efficency wise.
View All Quotes
What about the short blade?  Looking for something that will screw on without an adapter but also be tough, any recommendations? What if I use an adapter, any ideas?  Diamond, Nagoya, etc make good antennas, just wonder how tough they are for ATV riding and ever so slightly abused.  Found some 148 used batts for like $75, still looking.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#47]
When I first received my 152 I used a Diamond RH77CA with TNC/BNC adapter, worked quite well. As Harlikwin stated above, a real Harris antenna sucks pretty bad as a match, however I put a gooseneck 148 antenna on my antenna analyzer and trimmed it to be 1:1-1:2 at 146.00, now full quieting as opposed to slight "bacon frying" in background with the Diamond. As for batteries, I got the 4-pack from American Milspec for $99, they're 152 batteries(12.6V) which, according to my watt meter, put out 11.6W high, 6.3W med, 3.6W low on my 152. I'm not sure how yours will behave.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#48]

What about the short blade?  Looking for something
View Quote
I found something kinda geeky / kinda cool. But, the mfg doesn't have it on their site. I bought one, it was only $15ish... Emailed the manufacturer, I'll advise if/when they respond. Not as big around as a sharpie, screws in, has a short solid section, then a gooseneck, then a small solid section. (shrugs) I don't want to link to it, and a bunch of people buy them then find out it's shyte...
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#49]

I found something kinda geeky / kinda cool. But, the mfg doesn't have it on their site. I bought one, it was only $15ish... Emailed the manufacturer, I'll advise if/when they respond. Not as big around as a sharpie, screws in, has a short solid section, then a gooseneck, then a small solid section. (shrugs) I don't want to link to it, and a bunch of people buy them then find out it's shyte...
View Quote
One of the Chinese copies of the "rifleman's" antenna?  I've played with a few of these, most were definitely over-advertised.  I'd like to look at what you've found if you want to PM details.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I'll do one better: It's item 163923691372

Nagoya NA-22 Dual Band with Gooseneck

According to the Reuex Industrial (nagoya's current brand owner) sales department, they don't make it. lol

I'll get someone to sweep it eventually if it even arrives. I just kind of liked the styling. Especially on a shoulder mike, if it was short enough. Oh well lol

Page / 25
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 10 of 25)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top