Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Running on 20M guard today. Unattended. Beacon interval 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Saw your beacon at 1445Z,  -04.  

ETA:  RickLaut heard @ -14.  Thunderstorms here now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Great signal to Las Vegas (+04)!
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm on, unattended @ 30w
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I received my RPi today and got it running with FTCall + the 857D in my truck.  I tested it on 20 meters just before the band closed to the east and I was getting out well.  VNC on the iPhone or iPad works very well; I'm using the iPhone's hotspot for now but need to figure out making the RPi into a hotspot for remote use.  I'll test it more tomorrow; looking for my /P call.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I received my RPi today and got it running with FTCall + the 857D in my truck.  I tested it on 20 meters just before the band closed to the east and I was getting out well.  VNC on the iPhone or iPad works very well; I'm using the iPhone's hotspot for now but need to figure out making the RPi into a hotspot for remote use.  I'll test it more tomorrow; looking for my /P call.
View Quote
Did you compile from source or follow a guide or ?

Interested in setting up a rpi to run it myself. I haven’t owned a desktop computer in years - but have several rpis sitting around.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did you compile from source or follow a guide or ?

Interested in setting up a rpi to run it myself. I haven’t owned a desktop computer in years - but have several rpis sitting around.
View Quote
I got the CanaKit 3 B+ from Amazon and am loosely following what OH8STN wrote up:  https://oh8stn.org/blog/2018/08/13/x-days-off-grid-radio-raspberry-pi-prerequisites/.

I'm definitely not a PI master; I have to follow a recipe as I don't know enough Linux to think my way through things.  The challenge of the moment seems to be that the guide for creating the access point / hotspot doesn't seem to account for networking changes in Stretch, so it fails.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Seeing crappy prop today; solar storm:   https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

20 and 40 are essentially dead.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, but it's FT8 and I'm running 250W

I'm seeing plenty of FT8 signals on the normal 20M FT8 sub-band.

At any rate, up and beaconing every 10 minutes, unattended. I only saw Rick's signals yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seeing crappy prop today; solar storm:   https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

20 and 40 are essentially dead.
View Quote
I am still confused on how solar activity helps / kills prop.

We are at the bottom of the solar cycle so prop sucks.

The sun activity increases with a solar flare and prop sucks worse.

I thought the solar cycle was all about how many solar flares there are.

I don't understand. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can't explain it (just a no code General ), but I definitely see the effects of them!  I find there to be enhance propagation in the ~day or so ahead of a solar storm that has scored me some great DX until prop drops off the cliff.

Bands are still dead as a doornail out west.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#12]
And I'm down It seems I have an EMI problem on 20M that kills my Ethernet switch. No time to figure it out today
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't explain it (just a no code General ), but I definitely see the effects of them!  I find there to be enhance propagation in the ~day or so ahead of a solar storm that has scored me some great DX until prop drops off the cliff.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last night at about midnite east coast time I had a 59 QSO with a station in New Zealand on 20m on my dipole at 50 and that was just before the solar storm I think
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, I think I've got something going now. I'm on the 40m guard freq now. I'm still trying to figure out the various options.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK, I think I've got something going now. I'm on the 40m guard freq now. I'm still trying to figure out the various options.
View Quote
I'll drop down to 7.114 and send some beacons, etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I got an ARFham! I hit the  button so hopefully it responded appropriately. The window says the responder is 2101 miles away, -7dB signal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I got an ARFham! I hit the  button so hopefully it responded appropriately. The window says the responder is 2101 miles away, -7dB signal.
View Quote
Excellent :) .  That was me, but prop seems to have taken a dip, so I didn't get the "ack" message.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Excellent :) .  That was me, but prop seems to have taken a dip, so I didn't get the "ack" message.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It showed up on pskreporter as well. Yeah! Finally figure out enough to at least do the basics. Now I need to learn all the funky stuff like special words, etc.

ETA: Will try again tomorrow evening.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It showed up on pskreporter as well. Yeah! Finally figure out enough to at least do the basics. Now I need to learn all the funky stuff like special words, etc.

ETA: Will try again tomorrow evening.
View Quote
Cool.  I'm off the guard frequencies until tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I was on guard all day Friday, and didn't hear a soul?  weird-a few days ago there was a bunch heard?  Back on Guard tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was on guard all day Friday, and didn't hear a soul?  weird-a few days ago there was a bunch heard?  Back on Guard tomorrow
View Quote
I chalk yesterday up to the solar storm / horrible propagation.  I'll be on 20 M guard a bit later and I'll leave it there unattended when I go to work.  I'll run my /P on the way to work and back.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Got a message while driving /P; that was pretty cool!  I couldn’t answer until I was stopped and then had to hurry into the building at work.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Got a message while driving /P; that was pretty cool!  I couldn’t answer until I was stopped and then had to hurry into the building at work.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Awesome - I thought that was you but don’t have all the ARFHam call signs in my head yet. Did my reply when I got to work go through?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Awesome - I thought that was you but don’t have all the ARFHam call signs in my head yet. Did my reply when I got to work go through?
View Quote
It did, 100% perfect copy.

I am on way too much business travel this week to continue playing, however I'm home all holiday weekend and next week.

I'd like to try an experimental ARFCOM digi net using this mode. If everyone transmitted to ALLCALL during check-in they could all stay on separate freq's and all check in at the same time. After that everyone would get a turn just so that people didn't double and everyone could receive each other.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd like to try an experimental ARFCOM digi net using this mode. If everyone transmitted to ALLCALL during check-in they could all stay on separate freq's and all check in at the same time. After that everyone would get a turn just so that people didn't double and everyone could receive each other.
View Quote
I think that’s a great idea & I’d be in as long as I’m not traveling (lots of commitments coming up in Sep).
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am on way too much business travel this week to continue playing, however I'm home all holiday weekend and next week.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we could assign perm freq on arfcom, there is enough individual bandwdth for 60 people
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Left it on 20m guard freq today.  Sent a few things out this evening and saw I had replied back throughout the day to a few "ALLCALL"s.

Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

we could assign perm freq on arfcom, there is enough individual bandwdth for 60 people
View Quote
As soon as you start responding to other people it shifts your TX freq to match the incoming freq.  No option to hold TX like in WSJT-X.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Left it on 20m guard freq today.  Sent a few things out this evening and saw I had replied back throughout the day to a few "ALLCALL"s.

Pretty neat.
View Quote
DirtNasty:  Strong signal here in Vegas tonight!  I left what should show up as a pop-up message, along with other text in your buffer.

The RPi is working just as I had hoped.  It wasn't tough to set up (even for a Linux n00b like me) and it is MUCH better than being physically tied to a tablet with USB cable(s) and maneuvering with that in the truck.  I love that with VNC running, I've got a wireless connection to my iPad.  The only thing I haven't configured yet is the hotspot (autonomous, so it's not tied to the phone hotspot); changes in the OS made one of the tutorials I was following obsolete  While I'm in suburbia, making the connection via my phone's hotspot is fine.  I haven't run WSJT-X / FT8 with it yet; it will be interesting to see if it has enough horsepower to decode in time when the band is busy.

Moving off the Guard frequencies soon; I'll set back up there in the AM.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As soon as you start responding to other people it shifts your TX freq to match the incoming freq.  No option to hold TX like in WSJT-X.
View Quote
Yes, that's annoying. However it will hold if you use ALLCALL. So from a net perspective that would work for check-in or a turn on the net.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just figured that out. What a pain.

Hopefully they will add that as an option in the next release.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

DirtNasty:  Strong signal here in Vegas tonight!  I left what should show up as a pop-up message, along with other text in your buffer.
View Quote
Didn’t check back until this morning but did ACK you but don’t think you were on.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been on since last night, nothing showing except all of my unheard beacons, checked my clock today-it was off but now synced hope to hear and be heard today (25w)
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've been on since last night, nothing showing except all of my unheard beacons, checked my clock today-it was off but now synced hope to hear and be heard today (25w)
View Quote
I'm on 20M guard now; I see that 2 ARFCOM stations are hearing me and I'm hearing them.  If you and I don't have prop now, we should soon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#36]
OK - turned mine on to the guard freq as well.  I'm not at the station but feel free to experiment through it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#37]
hearing 2, left on unattended
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Well...  I'm hearing other stations on and off.  But it's weird as ALLCALL isn't returning results.  And directed$ calls aren't returning results.

When I first turned it on I was hearing whoever is in NC like you were around the block.  And a couple other stations.

Now, nothing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well...  I'm hearing other stations on and off.  But it's weird as ALLCALL isn't returning results.  And directed$ calls aren't returning results.

When I first turned it on I was hearing whoever is in NC like you were around the block.  And a couple other stations.

Now, nothing.
View Quote

Normally my propagation goes out to the west coast on 20m mid afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Has everybody switched over to 40m for the night?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Has everybody switched over to 40m for the night?
View Quote
I'm still on 20 Guard, at least for a little longer.

6 ARFHam stations on frequency through the day that I received (7 if you count my /P station ).  Between working and trying to buy a house, I haven't had much time to play though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm going to leave mine on pretty much constantly unless actively at my radio.

Again - feel free to use it.  K****V
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#43]
This is a good video showing the utility of FT8Call.  The demo shows a field portable QRP station in QSO with a QRP /MM station, along with a good explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfH5YDEQ_18&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Julian is a Good Dude!
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Up on 20M guard today. Beacon interval 10 minutes. 250W into a 60ft high dipole. I'm seeing and able to ping a KI5 station but I don't have you in my arfcom callsign database.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Also was able to ping ricklaut this morning.

eta and SCWolverine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

eta and SCWolverine.
View Quote
Loudly!
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Loudly!
View Quote
I'm hearing all of the above today, + 444.  Sadly, not much time for radio - packing to move.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I finally got around to fixing antenna #2 today.
Just beaconed with it.
We will see if it does any better. I don't expect it to, but you never know.

If anyone is getting annoyed at my frequent requests for a signal report: I am doing an A:B comparison between the two antennas. Obviously this software is a great tool for this. Request a signal report, switch antennas and do it again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I finally got around to fixing antenna #2 today.
Just beaconed with it.
We will see if it does any better. I don't expect it to, but you never know.

If anyone is getting annoyed at my frequent requests for a signal report: I am doing an A:B comparison between the two antennas. Obviously this software is a great tool for this. Request a signal report, switch antennas and do it again.
View Quote
No worries here...  have at it!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top