BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an FT991.  My CAT settings are 8,2,None; no DTR/RTS, CAT PTT, Data/Pkt & Fake It.  That's what worked for me with WSJT-X, and worked first try with FT8Call.

I remember having some trouble getting CAT to work with this radio initially, and the trick was settings in the radio (although I'm not 100% positive I'll remember which ones).  If it's changing frequencies via CAT, but no signal is coming out, I'd put money on a radio setting.  If that's the case, let me know and I'll find / share all of my radio menu settings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I downloaded ft8call and installed. Problem is I can't get it to work quite right with my 991. I'm sure it's got something to do with RTS and CAT control but I can't seem to figure out what the right settings are. What seems to happen is as soon as I crank up the program, the radio gets keyed up and transmits nothing (since the program isn't sending it anything). I may go on the groups web site and see if anybody is running a 991 and what their settings are.
I have an FT991.  My CAT settings are 8,2,None; no DTR/RTS, CAT PTT, Data/Pkt & Fake It.  That's what worked for me with WSJT-X, and worked first try with FT8Call.

I remember having some trouble getting CAT to work with this radio initially, and the trick was settings in the radio (although I'm not 100% positive I'll remember which ones).  If it's changing frequencies via CAT, but no signal is coming out, I'd put money on a radio setting.  If that's the case, let me know and I'll find / share all of my radio menu settings.
I'll try to get back to it tomorrow. Funny how it always seems to work OK with HRD. At one time, I think I had it working with WSJT-X but it's been so long ago, I have no idea what settings I used.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think this could be a very useful mode for the digi guard channels.  The ability to automatically control and route messages through other stations is very useful.

This software hits a few of the points brought up in a thread here when FT8 was first introduced and we were trying to find uses for it for communicating.  Multiple transmissions for longer text and direct messaging are two of them.  It would be useful to be able to send "allcall cq arfcom" or "w1aw call me at +1500 olivia 16/500" and get someone.

A few features on my wish list:
  • The ability to route a request through one or several remote stations, and have the intended station ack through the reverse chain of those stations.
  • An audible alert system for certain phrases like "CQ Arfcom" like several folks have set up in fldigi.
  • More automatic options like an "away" message
  • A store-and-forward type system where I can leave a message for w1aw on ka0xtt's station for later retrieval.
I'll be keeping a keen eye on future development of this new software.  I think it has potential.  Not so much as a fun mode (to me at least) but as a way to get comms through.
View Quote
Jordan has had a lot of input and is working hard on upgrades.  His wife just had a baby, the upgrades may come slower than we like.  Store and Forward is being talked about.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I installed it last night and one arfcommer's system in NV was reporting hearing my calls and beacons, and that was with 5 watts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I installed it last night and one arfcommer's system in NV was reporting hearing my calls and beacons, and that was with 5 watts.
View Quote
Excellent!  That was almost definitely me, although I wasn't in the shack.  Were you on the guard frequency (I am still switching there at the top of the hour for 10 min, and then back to the suggested FT8Call frequencies on 20 / 40 meters)?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Just installed it today & got it working with the 590.  It doesn't like the VSPE .com splitter so that was a hiccup, but did fine with the native port assigned to the USB connection.  Ran a beacon on 14.080 for a bit & saw hits on pskreporter.  Is there a good time slot for trying the digital guard freq?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just installed it today & got it working with the 590.  It doesn't like the VSPE .com splitter so that was a hiccup, but did fine with the native port assigned to the USB connection.  Ran a beacon on 14.080 for a bit & saw hits on pskreporter.  Is there a good time slot for trying the digital guard freq?
View Quote
During the 1st 10 minutes of every hour, my radio is there through tonight.  I'll do my best to be at the keyboard at 0100 UTC (10 minutes away), but can't promise that I'll be around later.  But, if you send an "ALLCALL?" on either 7.114 or 14.0675 during that period, you should get a response from my station.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be joining y'all soon.  I got FT8CALL installed today and made sure it works.  Sent a few beacons and they showed up on PSKReporter.  I set it for 50W peak out and got all over NA without outrageously high SNR reports.

I'll leave my radio on during work tomorrow especially from :00 to :10 and see if I get anyone on 14067.5.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll be joining y'all soon.  I got FT8CALL installed today and made sure it works.  Sent a few beacons and they showed up on PSKReporter.  I set it for 50W peak out and got all over NA without outrageously high SNR reports.

I'll leave my radio on during work tomorrow especially from :00 to :10 and see if I get anyone on 14067.5.
View Quote
I sent a couple of "ALLCALL?" messages and beacon right after 1300 UTC, but I may not have prop to OK yet on 20 meters.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I will leave my radio on 14.0675 today.

I just sent an Allcall and got nada.
20 isn't open yet. Or maybe I need to run more power. Or maybe no one is there
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Excellent!  That was almost definitely me, although I wasn't in the shack.  Were you on the guard frequency (I am still switching there at the top of the hour for 10 min, and then back to the suggested FT8Call frequencies on 20 / 40 meters)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes it was on the guard freq.

That explains why my signal was not reported by your shack to pskreporter except for a small window of time. dont remember what time it was .
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will leave my radio on 14.0675 today.

I just sent an Allcall and got nada.
20 isn't open yet. Or maybe I need to run more power. Or maybe no one is there
View Quote
Looks like I reached your station (when I beaconed on 14.0675, I saw one OH station report in on PSKReporter), but wasn't sure whether you were at the keyboard.  When I sent the CALLSIGN!VIVA ARCOM message, I got the "ACK" response at -06.  I saw a trace on the waterfall after that, but couldn't decode.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I answered you.
I sent other traffic, guess it didn't make it.
FWIW: I was running 600 watts
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow!  Surprised it faded like it did.  I was running about 35 watts here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll turn mine on and leave it on.  I'm not in front of the radio (because it's distracting and I actually do have a job).  But it'll be on in 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll turn mine on and leave it on.  I'm not in front of the radio (because it's distracting and I actually do have a job).  But it'll be on in 5 minutes.
View Quote
am I connected to u? CDN
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

am I connected to u? CDN
View Quote
I got your SNR report to my Beacon.  No response from you when I sent an ALLCALL though.

Make sure "Auto" is on.  And if you've turned on TX Watchguard in settings, turn it off, as that setting is bugged.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#17]
rgr just realized that was just 2 watts
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm in the same predicament; trying to work from home today.  I'll leave mine on 14.0675 through the day (also monitoring 14.080 on another slice).
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#19]
leaving the shack and leaving it running.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
leaving the shack and leaving it running.
View Quote
You should have a message on your screen when you return.

TinLeg:  Those other SNRs you got from me are from 14.080, as the buffer doesn't clear on auto QSY.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You should have a message on your screen when you return.

TinLeg:  Those other SNRs you got from me are from 14.080, as the buffer doesn't clear on auto QSY.
View Quote
Ya.  Realized that was a possibility after I queried.

I've mine set to expire after 15 minutes or so.  But I'm not changing freqs on a schedule either.

WSJT-X has the ability to run a second instance (for another radio or audio device at least).  It's possible you could figure the same thing with FT8CALL.  I haven't experimented because I'm back to working.  As soon as I finish this post.  maybe.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ya.  Realized that was a possibility after I queried.

I've mine set to expire after 15 minutes or so.  But I'm not changing freqs on a schedule either.

WSJT-X has the ability to run a second instance (for another radio or audio device at least).  It's possible you could figure the same thing with FT8CALL.  I haven't experimented because I'm back to working.  As soon as I finish this post.  maybe.
View Quote
Ok

Yes, I'm running multiple instances.  The parameters are the same as WSJT-X; I just put the below into a batch file that I save on my desktop.

cdcd\FT8Call\ft8call\bin
ft8call --rig-name=Flex

ETA:  For those not familiar, the other instance(s) just needs a different rig name, and then each .bat file will call up a separate instance of FT8Call.  You'll have to configure settings for each instance, of course.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow!  Surprised it faded like it did.  I was running about 35 watts here.
View Quote
I am looking at PSK reporter right now.
I am running 15 watts and am getting good signal reports all over the country and Europe, but I see your station on the map and it appears you are not hearing me at all. Which is weird. I heard you fine yesterday, but you were not printing me. I am being heard -10 in California. I am actually getting positive (+) signal reports in a lot of places.

Weird
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll restart my beacon today
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am looking at PSK reporter right now.
I am running 15 watts and am getting good signal reports all over the country and Europe, but I see your station on the map and it appears you are not hearing me at all. Which is weird. I heard you fine yesterday, but you were not printing me. I am being heard -10 in California. I am actually getting positive (+) signal reports in a lot of places.

Weird
View Quote
That is odd.  Looking at the last 30 minutes on PSK Reporter, I'm I've heard stations across the US, and two in South America.  FT8Call says I heard you at -19 about 4 hours ago on 14.080, so maybe it was just too early here when you tried?

I've been listening on both 14.0675 and 14.080 while at work; I'll flip the one that's on 14.080 to 7.080 soon.  If anyone wants to try the 40 meter guard frequency I can go there too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Back on freq.

Parked myself at 20M guard freq (14.0675) + 2000.  Running 20W. Low OCF dipole in West TN. Lots of power line noise at the moment, so take SNR as it is worth.

Gonna be here until Friday afternoon when I get some time to play radio. I talked to my supervisor (myself) and he gave me Friday off, so I'll be playing some radio off and on.  During those times I may be elsewhere.

Y'all feel free to test whatever with my radio.  KK4 call. Should be only Arfcom here so feel free to play around.

Thanks to K7*** and everyone else on board.  K7, you are -09 at 0300Z, BTW!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm also back on 14.0675 for the day. Auto is on, but the shack is unattended.

Popov:  You should have a pop-up msg; hope prop was good enough to get through.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I am also parked on 14.0675
Will leave the radio on all day.
Callsign prefix is AB8
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#29]
You guys are a bad influence.  I'm listening and trying to get the hang of this.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You guys are a bad influence.  I'm listening and trying to get the hang of this.  
View Quote
Send "ALLCALL?" to see who is on frequency, and take it from there.  Welcome and good to see you!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Welcome to the We've been waiting for you!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am also parked on 14.0675
Will leave the radio on all day.
Callsign prefix is AB8
View Quote
Glad we had a chance for a quick keyboard QSO!  Off to work, but I may be able to sneak away early today.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm also back on 14.0675 for the day. Auto is on, but the shack is unattended.

Popov:  You should have a pop-up msg; hope prop was good enough to get through.
View Quote
Didn't see a popup message, but just got back in the shack.  I don't know if those "expire" or not?

Edit: I see the message in my buffer but didn't have a pop-up when I got in front of the computer.  I wonder if the do "expire"?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Make sure your clocks are synced, it looks like some signals are offset a second or two.

Link Posted: 8/24/2018 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks like someone is trying to get through now but is having audio problems.  The tones look and sound very weird.

Link Posted: 8/24/2018 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Didn't see a popup message, but just got back in the shack.  I don't know if those "expire" or not?

Edit: I see the message in my buffer but didn't have a pop-up when I got in front of the computer.  I wonder if the do "expire"?
View Quote
I'll try one again now and we'll see if it works.  The first message I sent was pretty long; not sure if that matters?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm curious - one 500hz slice is enough to transmit a few characters in 15 seconds.

For a long message, why not transmit across several slices?

It seems like such an obvious way to increase throughput between two stations - it seems odd it's not already done.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#38]
?

Wouldn't that be a hardware issue ?
Transmitting more than one signal at the same time ?

I am under the impression that this isn't so much designed for "ragchewing" as it is for sending short messages under less than optimal conditions. For example you are portable using a QRP rig and a field antenna at a very moderate height. You could check in, let people know you are OK. Maybe give them your location..........

You can ragchew on it. It is just a PITA.

Another use might be to have someone monitoring FT8 CALL and then sending them a message to go to a different frequency and mode for an actual ragchew. If conditions permit. Again, say you are off the beaten track somewhere operating portable from a tent. You establish communications with FT8 Call and then move to another mode for conversation.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm curious - one 500hz slice is enough to transmit a few characters in 15 seconds.

For a long message, why not transmit across several slices?

It seems like such an obvious way to increase throughput between two stations - it seems odd it's not already done.

What am I missing?
View Quote
If I understand correctly, that's how the WSJT-X DXpedition Mode works (transmitting multiple signals, 60 Hz apart), but with it, each discrete signal is a response to a different station to maximize the number of contacts.  The outgoing power would be reduced for each time slot, but that does seem to be a way to increase throughput.

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/FT8_DXpedition_Mode.pdf

444:  I'm still not hearing you well, but it appears you're hearing me at -8 most recently. Maybe I've got a null in your direction on RX!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#40]
If conditions and equipment allow it, and you want to rag chew, use psk31.

This is not intended to be used like that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Here are three interesting articles from a vlogger in Finland that is using FT8Call in a man-portable setup:

https://oh8stn.org/blog/2018/08/13/x-days-off-grid-radio-raspberry-pi-prerequisites/

https://oh8stn.org/blog/2018/08/13/off-grid-clock-sync-on-raspberry-pi-ublox-usb-gps/

https://oh8stn.org/blog/2018/08/19/ft8call-fear-phobia-and-haters/

I may have just ordered an RPi and a GPS for myself for my birthday .  My intention is to put the RPi setup in my truck to use with my 857D, as my experience with dedicating a small PC tablet for the task has been meh.  I carry at least one iOS device with me all the time, so it makes sense to use VLC via an ad-hoc wireless network as he does to talk to the radio without wires.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'll try one again now and we'll see if it works.  The first message I sent was pretty long; not sure if that matters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the popup message for the message you sent at 19:56.  I ack'd sent you one back at 22:00 but don't know if you could hear me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got the popup message for the message you sent at 19:56.  I ack'd sent you one back at 22:00 but don't know if you could hear me.
View Quote
I did, but didn't notice it until I read here!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I've hopped off guard for a bit to play around.  Will be back later.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm off the guard frequencies for the night.  I'm going to try to monitor 160 meters after seeing AK / WA were there last night.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If conditions and equipment allow it, and you want to rag chew, use psk31.

This is not intended to be used like that.
View Quote
FT8CALL is much more for 'ragchew' and free text coms than 'classic' wsjt.  The guide itself says it's just based on FT8 for the signal architecture.  Not necessarily for the same purpose - or with the same limitations.

It makes sense (from the 50000 foot level) to try to get more throughput.

As I said, it seems like an obvious solution.  Amateur radio is about experimentation, isn't it?  Surely it's an idea worth discussing - if not exploring.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Will have to give a losten tomorroe.  Got my 50ft wire vertical up and managed a few 160 contacts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm surprised at the amount of plain FT8 activity I'm hearing tonight on 160 meters; I wrote it off most of the summer.  I've heard stations all the way across the US on FT8; only 2 on FT8Call, and both are in the Pacific Northwest.  But, the night is young.

My 160 meter antenna is a 124' end fed with a 9:1 unun, and "random radials" wherever I can get a few on my postage stamp sized lot.  The EF maxes out at ~30' and then drops down to 15' in a "crazy Z+" configuration.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm surprised at the amount of plain FT8 activity I'm hearing tonight on 160 meters; I wrote it off most of the summer.  I've heard stations all the way across the US on FT8; only 2 on FT8Call, and both are in the Pacific Northwest.  But, the night is young.

My 160 meter antenna is a 124' end fed with a 9:1 unun, and "random radials" wherever I can get a few on my postage stamp sized lot.  The EF maxes out at ~30' and then drops down to 15' in a "crazy Z+" configuration.
View Quote
May try something similar to your setup next.  Made a couple contacts but for most part people could blast out much better than they can hear me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm back on the 20M guard freq and 14.080.

160M was a bust last night on FT8Call, but got a new state (SD) on FT8 .
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top