Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2017 5:46:33 PM EDT
As much as I hate "public radio", it was very sad to see the old tower come down

http://nhpr.org/post/watch-berlin-tower-comes-crashing-down#stream/0
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
An old radio tower coming down is sad?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
That certainly is a contender for the most-vertical vertical video ever recorded.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
They end up becoming significant landmarks and so when the come down it's usually due to
the area changing. They're nostalgic.

Same thing happened with a long-term broadcast AM station in our area that was much loved,
the station pre-dated WW2 by like 15 years. When it was decommissioned they actually had a
ceremony and walk-throughs and opened a museum about it nearby, because it had many
decades of history, celebrities, notable events and such.

There's actually a few historical blogs dedicated to this stuff.

Here is one multi-part travelogue about radio station visits.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not only sad but heartbreaking! Any tower coming down is heartbreaking. It's a ham thing, many people won't understand.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
These are rhe ones I hated to see come down -- VOA, the end of an era.

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
These are rhe ones I hated to see come down -- VOA, the end of an era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR6xc3EW4HA
View Quote
Man, that was depressing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Man, that was depressing.
View Quote
+
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
What's even more depressing is remembering how active the SW BC bands used to be just 10 years ago. I had favorites I'd tune to just about every evening: Austria, Netherlands, Prague, Romania, Czech Republic, BBC, Switzerland, even The Voice of Russia. Many of them could even be picked up with a simple two stage vacuum tube regen receiver.

BBC is still broadcasting in English from Africa and can be picked up when the propagation is good. Romania may still be around, but I haven't checked in several months.

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Sad, yes.  But cutting guy wires never stops being exciting!  My company dropped a 260' guyed microwave tower earlier this year.  Quite the big to-do when it's in the middle of town!  I was on the crew that toppled a 130' Rohn 65 a couple of years ago, that one was in the woods like in OP's video though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top