Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 12:00:04 PM EDT
Any one here ever tried one of these?
I have a few trees around 70' tall, some product reviews stated it would launch decoys about 100 yards, I would securely tape some bucket fed jet line to it.
I would get a lot of use out of it, lots of tall tress, my German Shepherd would like it too!
https://www.amazon.com/DT-Systems-Super-Launcher-Dummy/dp/B00YW2R7BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508428533&sr=8-1&keywords=dt+systems+dummy+launcher
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used a couple of blank launchers in different styles over the years. They work well, but I think they all over state performance.

Might want to consider a bow fishing set up, with mono line attached to the arrow coming off a reel when the arrow is shot.

JPK
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
String antenna wires like a BOSS!

Attachment Attached File

Amateur Radio and the AR-15

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

...Might want to consider a bow fishing set up, with mono line attached to the arrow coming off a reel when the arrow is shot.

JPK
View Quote
This. I used a kid's toy bow and a cheap hollow fiberglass arrow with the point cut off. I glued a nail (with the point cut off) backwards into the front end of the arrow. An old enclosed spinning reel taped to the bow did the trick.
It doesn't take much to loft an arrow and some 10# monofilament over a tree.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]
pneumatic launchers have been used for awhile

here is a "safe" design

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/csv19/index.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
pneumatic launchers have been used for awhile

here is a "safe" design

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/csv19/index.html

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/IMG_9361-337990.JPG
View Quote
I have one of those - I've got it almost completely assembled - waiting for a few more leaves to come off of the trees before I try it out.

I had originally considered using a crossbow with a reel of fishing line for lofting a light line into the trees (for pulling up heavier and heavier lines until I got to 3/8" dacron line), and even bought a crossbow for it, but decided that the risk of having the unreeling line getting caught up and thereby bringing the projectile directly back into my face was too great, and so I scrapped that idea.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a product called LaserLine, it is basically a paintball marker that fires a foam dart attached to a string. They are expensive, $250ish if I recall. It does work in suspended ceilings, maybe it would work in trees too. Range is around 100'.

It might be possible to make your own out of a paintball marker, and some device to feed the string. Probably a little safer than the crossbow idea.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]
That training device just might give you TOO much distance.      I use wire antennas exclusively and my cheapskate method is the old slingshot fishing sinker over the limb approach.  I have a sterba sitting between a couple of hickorys that is about 60' at it's top element.

The launch rig consists of a less than ten buck wal-mart slingshot, a flat piece of aluminum mounted forward of the "Y" on the weapon about 4 inches.   to that is a really cheap closed face fresh water spinning reel.   Weight is usually either a .50 or .54 round ball, center drilled, with some bright tape attached to it...........really helps when you are trying to determine just where in hell that line is on the down feed........That less than 20 buck launcher of mine looks identical to those advertised at right around a hundred bucks..............and works flawlessly.

Tried the bow and arrow route..............shaft kept gettin' hung up in the trees............those that didn't keep on going into the swamp we own............and climbing is out of the question.....

I'd be curious as to just how well one could use one of the mini drones, but again foliage is the issue, at least where I live.

Regardless, I think that launcher idea is just a bit 'over the top'.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies and ideas!!!
The dog training launcher will arrive Monday.
I'd better hit Lowe's and buy a BUNCH more wire and rope!
Little Granddaughter, 6, and I will be having fun, the GSD too!
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using my bow fishing setup and it works well.  However, I have a friend with a couple drones.  That allows us to place the wire exactly where we want it.  With the bow you kind of get what you get.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been using my bow fishing setup and it works well.  However, I have a friend with a couple drones.  That allows us to place the wire exactly where we want it.  With the bow you kind of get what you get.
View Quote
Can you elaborate on that a bit?

What size/type of line and what technique(s) are you using to deploy the line?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
https://youtu.be/WJdig4gpJZo

This is where I got the idea.  I'm just using the same 10# test Zebco mono line that I have always used with my fishing bow method.  The drone just lets me keep the line above the tree limbs.  It seems like I never was able to get the line placed "perfectly" with the bow.  The drone does a better job at that task.  

I also have a goofball with an eyelet screwed into it and throw it over a tree when I can but that is generally only used for my SOTA Beams antennas.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/WJdig4gpJZo

This is where I got the idea.  I'm just using the same 10# test Zebco mono line that I have always used with my fishing bow method.  The drone just lets me keep the line above the tree limbs.  It seems like I never was able to get the line placed "perfectly" with the bow.  The drone does a better job at that task.  

I also have a goofball with an eyelet screwed into it and throw it over a tree when I can but that is generally only used for my SOTA Beams antennas.
View Quote
I'm not sure whether I'm correctly understanding his technique from that video - does he drop the weighted end straight down on one side of the tree, and then continue paying out the line as the drone backs away from the treetop and eventually lands?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top