Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2017 2:21:43 PM EDT
I used to use the skycommand feature of my kenwood 2000, but had no option to do that for my KX3. I was messing around with python and google voice for another project and thats when it hit me, this could work. A day later and I can control my KX3 remotely with DTMF and voice commands. It will even pass the audio from the HT into the KX3. The next step is to TX the audio from the KX3 over VHF back to my HT. I am either going to use my USRP or I was thinking since I plan on running this on a pi using the GPIO and building a filter to have the pi transmit the audio back to me. Really as it is now the program doesn't depend on an SDR and could easily use a HT and USB sound card.

Radio control with RTLSDR and Google voice
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool!  But WAAYYYY over my head!  
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:38:30 AM EDT
[#2]
gcw has way too much time on his hands
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#3]
damn, that is pretty sweet.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I thought about doing it the "echo" way where it is always listening for a control word like echo does, that way when you have a radio without DTMF you can still use the system. The problem with that is the free version of the voice api limits you to 50 (they say) transactions a day.

I also did this same thing with sphinx which is an offline voice recognition software. It works the same, but not nearly as accurate as the google engine. Then again it could all be based off DTMF pretty easy like the skycommand system was. I have a text to speech function so when I hookup a transmitter it can read back setting to confirm they are correct.

There isn't really any "purpose" to this system other than it was an extension of something else I was working on. It isn't designed to change the way we do ham radio just a fun tool.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw this on Reddit.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like it would be a great way to control the KX3 running a WSPR beacon and still maintain full control of the station, even while out of the house or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
get it to do text to voice and hold bidirectional psk31 conversations
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get it to do text to voice and hold bidirectional psk31 conversations
View Quote
Lol would that be voice comms in the digital band? It's also not far that you know behind the scenes details
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like it would be a great way to control the KX3 running a WSPR beacon and still maintain full control of the station, even while out of the house or whatever.
View Quote
Yup it is really as adaptable as you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top