Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2017 10:48:32 AM EDT
So I forked over the cash for portable FT-891 setup and I need a tuner that is similar in size that will fit into a medium sized case or bag.   I'm not interested in the FC-50 as it seems to only work on 3:1 or less antennas.  Am looking at LDG YT-100 or the MFJ 939Y.    The LDG doesn't need power as it's powered through the CAT port, but the MFJ does need power and that's ok as I can split off of a 20AH LifePo4  battery setup I have.  

Do you guys have experience with either the LDG YT-100 or the MFJ 939Y.

Also:  I am interested in digital modes - what soundcard interface will work good with the FT-891 (too bad the USB doesn't pass the audio - but I knew that when I bought it)

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#1]
No experience with external autotuners here. All mine are manual (and so are the transmissions in my Miati and Forester   ).

Digital mode have a much higher duty cycle than SSB and CW. Check and make sure the tuner you choose can handle it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been using an LDG tuner with my FT-847, FT-897, and TS-480SAT, been pleased with them, and they all work up into the 6m band.  The couple MFJ tuners I've used lacked anything above 10m.

As far as an interface, the simple solution is a Singalink.  Built in sound card, uses VOX to key the radio, when the audio starts, it keys the rig, no com port required.  I've built a few interfaces myself, usually kits.  Look for the KF5INZ Easy-Digi interface, the guy sells them on ebay.  Can get it complete, or as a kit.  I've also built a couple kits from FoxDelta, which work well, too.  I don't mind having a separate com port for PTT, I have lots of USB/Serial interfaces if I need them.  Or computers with real serial ports, still.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I called MFJ and they said the 939Y does work with the FT891.  

I'm still waiting to hear back from LDG about the FT891 compatibility.  (should work right ?)
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
There were conflicting reports as to whether it would work or not from the FT-891 Facebook group.  Both of these conflicting reports had contact LDG directly, so be careful.  I use the LDG AT-100ProII, and it does work with the Y-ACC cable, though only the tune button on the tuner will initiate the tune cycle.  The "tune" button within the radio will not.  Also, the AT-100ProII requires external 12V power as it does not get it directly from the radio via the simple Y-ACC cable.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a generic autotuner (I think the Z100 pro) with the Kenwood, no interface.  The PF button is my "tune" button, basically switches to CW, throws out a 5W carrier, the tuner will tune if the swr is too high.  Then hit the button again to go back to RX.  So, most tuners will "work", whether they talk to the radio or not changes how you use them.  My AT-897 has a tune button that controls the radio, and tells it to key up while the tuner does its thing.  The AT-847 (i think that's the model) does something similar with the FT-847, but in a wacky way, as yaesu never published the control protocol for that radio, and LDG had to find a workaround.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
YT-847, and AT-100 Pro... i think.  lol.  It's tucked between the seat and the console, so I never see the front of it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Disclaimer: totally unabashed fan of MFJ tuners, I've had three (moving up the power ladder, not because they broke!) Currently running an MFJ-993BRT. After the SGC line of tuners, the MFJ tuners are by far the most rugged and reliable tuners you can buy. They will shrug off all kinds of abuse, and, while they won't tune up the proverbial lawn chair like an SGC tuner will, they can tune up a chaise lounge

This is an absolute no-brainer: the MFJ-939 is the hands down, no shit, best non-QRO tuner on the market right now, bar none.

- It's the ONLY tuner on the market that makes an actual complex impedance measurement and snaps in the the right match, or damn close to it, on the first try. You don't have to sit there and listen to clickety clackety for 30 seconds.

- MFJ tuners have the best power handling across the board, and the 939 will handle 200W key-down all day long. This means if you a) make a mistake, b) want to push things a little on digital, c) want to run some AM, d) have a really tough impedance to match, you are going to be OK, with some safety margin. Compare that to the LDG which can only handle 30W key down. My unscientific, unsubstantiated observations are that more LDG tuners suffer internal component failures because of lack of power handling than any other kind of tuner.

- The 939 has twice the impedance matching range of the LDG.

- I suspect, but can't prove, since LDG doesn't publish schematics, that the LDG has fewer L and C combinations available than the MFJ.

I can't wait for MFJ to come out with a QRO version of the 939, I'll be first in line.

HOWEVER...fair warning: you've heard the joke about Mighty Fine Junk, I'm sure. It's all true. Great designs, but very poor production QA. If you buy the 939, and obviously I think you should, BEFORE you put it into service definitely pop the cover and give it your own QA inspection. But once you've dumped out the wire clippings and solder balls, tightened the hardware, and maybe even touched up a few sketchy solder connections, you will love the thing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I decided to get the MFJ-939Y from DX Engineering.  

Plus it's made here in the states.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I decided to get the MFJ-939Y from DX Engineering.  

Plus it's made here in the states.
View Quote
Let us know what you think of it, and how many component clippings fall out when you QA it
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#10]
the 100w tuners will not do 100w digital.  Some say 30w digital/cw..   Check the info..

Prosise
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the 100w tuners will not do 100w digital.  Some say 30w digital/cw..   Check the info..
View Quote
Most MFJ and SGC tuners are spec'd for key-down continuous op's at their rated power level. But the rest of them...not so much!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll echo aa777888-2's tuner recommendation (though after the fact since one is on the way.)

I liked my SGC but they priced themselves out of the market when I went QRO. The MFJ that replaced it
has worked without issues, even though it's sitting outside next to the antenna without additional protection.

I definitely notice the smaller tuning range -- it's a challenge for me to do 80M now when it wasn't for the
SGC -- but it doesn't appear it will easily break in spite of me sending a few hundred watts its way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Good post, thanks
I pushed the button on a new 891 today.
Let us know how it works with that tuner when you can.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm making a portable station.

Yeasu FT-891
MFJ 939Y
12v 20ah LifePo4 battery with management
Maxpedition Falcon II bag
Chameleon CHA MPAS

I'll post when I get the parts and have it assembled.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No experience with external autotuners here. All mine are manual (and so are the transmissions in my Miati and Forester   ).

Digital mode have a much higher duty cycle than SSB and CW. Check and make sure the tuner you choose can handle it.
View Quote
+1. I always prefer manual tuners. They are smaller, more versatile and easy to operate. Less "chit" to go wrong too.
An MFJ travel tuner is very small, light and has a good tuning range, plus it has an output balun that allows it to be connected to either a 50 Ohn cable or ladder line (or single long wire antenna). It requires no power to run either.
You are right about the duty cycle. A rule of thumb is to double the tuner rating so it can handle long transmissions at full power. For example, for a legal limit amp, I get a tuner rated for 3 kW, even for SSB Voice only.

With that said, some day I will probably order an MFJ automatic tuner for my field radio (IC-7300), simply because I plan to use it during Field Day and other similar activities. Surprisingly, many hams have no clue on how to use a manual tuner. They may happen to operate my radio and I don't want them to blow the finals when I'm not around. This is what happened to my FT-1000 MP. They smoked the internal tuner in the radio. The radio still works but the tuner is done.
I will only buy an MFJ auto tuner because it's very versatile and will work with many other radios. I also like having a built in SWR/POWER meter in the tuner.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I've used the AT-897 with a Yaesu FT-897 I owned then.  This is the neat one that bolts to the side
of the radio.  Worked like a charm.

Later, when I swapped out to Icom IC-718's, I used the LDG IT-100's.  When I upgraded to Icom
IC-7200's, I still used the same LDG IT-100's.

With my Ten-Tec Jupiter, with amplifers, I use the LDG AT-1000 (1000 w rating), still, with good
results.

And I have several manual tuners, too, which I don't use.  I have two Daiwa CNW-419's, and an
Ameritron ATR-15 (1500 watt rating).  All good manual tuners.

I can highly recommend the LDG automatic tuners.  If the LDG's won't tune a particular antenna
and frequency, then neither will the manual tuners.

For your needs, I'd go with any of the LDG YT-100, LDG Z-100Plus, LDG Z-11Pro2, LDG AT-100 Pro2.

(Oops!  You'd think the YT-100 would work for that radio... but apparently not.)
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Interested.

OP, did MFJ say the MFJ-939 will work with the FT-891?

I already have the 939 and the cable for Icom, I would just need the cable for FT-891.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a little MFJ-902B travel tuner and once you have the settings written down for each band, you can get it close enough so that tuning for a given frequency only involves one knob and only takes a second. It's faster than a full tune with most auto tuners. Obviously if you are operating portable your antenna setup will be different every time so the setting won't carry over from one location to the next. And much of the gross tuning can be done by ear listening to the noise level without even transmitting.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a manual MFJ-969 that I picked up and replaced my LDG IT autotuner with. Works great across all bands and have had very good success with it. Use my HF rig just about exclusively for digital at this point...works like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:19:42 AM EDT
[#20]
LDG Technical Support finally responded about the YT-100 and the FT-891

"Any of our generic tuners with the optional Y-ACC interface cable will work with the FT-891. This would be the Z-100Plus, Z-11ProII, AT-100ProII. The YT-100 does not work with the FT-891.

Sincerely,

Dwayne Kincaid"
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Do NIB MFJ products typically exhibit the used, beat-up look?

Finally got my MFJ 939Y from DX Engineering today.

Missing a red banana plug.  Box appeared to be factory sealed but who knows.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#22]
yes, that is typical MFJ

Mississippi's

Finest

Junk
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Holy crap! No! They do not typically exhibit external and internal scratches and damage like that! And remember, this is coming from an MFJ fanboy

I would immediately contact MFJ and have them deal with this. In my experience they will immediately make this right, especially with those pic's.

If you do decide to contact them, please let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Does it work with the FT-891?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does it work with the FT-891?
View Quote
I did a firmware update on my FT-891 at work as they have a power supply there and did a quick receive test (without the tuner - I just got it yesterday)

My own power supply shows up in the next few days so I can wire up the whole thing and test the tuner.  So no, I haven't tested it yet.

MFJ responded and said that that the outside scratch should not be there, but that they do not treat the insides of their cases and that's normal

I'm going to test it,run it for a bit and then decide what I'm going to do.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Started the portable station build.

ABS plastic cut into a tapered shape to match the bag's inside profile and rounded the edges for smooth fit.

Rough layout of the battery, tuner and radio.

20AH and only weighs 5.4 lbs with battery management with 40A continuous current draw

Waiting on a distribution power block for the Powerpoles and a watt meter to finish wiring.

Deciding on how exactly to mount the battery and tuner to the ABS sheet.  

I will probably use some 3M Dual Lock and maybe I can make a couple of side pieces of ABS to hold the radio to the tuner.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Considering I have this radio and this tuner and a 21 ah portable battery set up, and like to operate portable, I think I need to get a dedicated backpack and do this.

Maybe I missed it but what are you planning on using for an antenna system?

I have the Wolf River Coil TIA antenna system. 80-6m, takes about 5 minutes to set up and fits in a backpack.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:18:28 AM EDT
[#28]
PS.

The MFJ-939 gets power from my icom cat cable and needs to external power. That might be radio dependant though.

For digital modes, if your laptop has a sound card, it supposedly can be used cable direct to the radio. The 891 has a VOX setting through the accessory port with the right cable and will key on the introduction of a data signal from what I have read. I have not tried it yet though. If I can find the link again, I will post it. Supposedly no other hardware required between the laptop sound card output input and the radio. Just audio cables to the accessory port, but it looks like you have to semi make your own cable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Maybe I missed it but what are you planning on using for an antenna system?
View Quote
Chameleon CHA MPAS (60' PTFE wire and/or Mil whip setup)  

Curious about a magnetic loop for low power indoor/outdoor  use.

Originally I just wanted a portable station, but it's turned into a man-portable station (trendy these days, but actually has potential)
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:58:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Sadly MFJ is "well known" for a worn look and poor kit quality type build.  

LDG would have been the better choice IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sadly MFJ is "well known" for a worn look and poor kit quality type build.  

LDG would have been the better choice IMHO.
View Quote
@K9-Bob: did you consider any of the technical differences between the two tuners,  or only cosmetic? The MFJ blows the LDG away in terms of raw tuner capability. Yes, they are a quality control crapshoot, but MFJ will make any QA failure right if you ask them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@K9-Bob: did you consider any of the technical differences between the two tuners,  or only cosmetic? The MFJ blows the LDG away in terms of raw tuner capability. Yes, they are a quality control crapshoot, but MFJ will make any QA failure right if you ask them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
build quality trumps technical differences

MFJ has more drunk monkeys and angry beavers building, than century arms

LDG has excellent customer service also.  

When a lightning strike blew up my LDG balun, they sent me a new one for no charge. I didn't even ask, I only sent them pics because it looked interesting.

aa777888,. . . . I think you are drinking the wrong flavor of Kool_aide

"...Yes, they are a quality control crapshoot..."
 well, you got that right.

Lightning strike...

Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Some more build pics.

Waiting on the Powerpole block and volt meter to finish the bag portion of the station.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

build quality trumps technical differences
View Quote
I'll see your , and raise you I don't care how well it's built if it doesn't do the job. Go ahead and put some 100W RTTY though your LDG and see how long its build quality lasts.

The MFJ tuner designs are outstanding, and in the case of the 939, better than anyone's. Yes, QA is lacking, but since you can't buy a better design at any price, to me, anyway, it seems like it's worth a little sweat equity to make it tip top.

Now, that said, not everything MFJ makes is good. I would never buy a balun from them, for example. Their switches, bias T's and loads are also OK. Can't speak to anything else.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Op,

Did you have to fo anything special to get the 891 to work with the 939?

My 939 works well with my ic-7300 so I bought the 5114Y csble for the MFJ-939 but can not get it to work with the FT891.

Radio does not transmit with the tuner turned on. I I turn the tuner off the radio transmits powet, tuner on, no power from the radio.Red transmit light comes on but no transmit power from the radio. I tried the 3 different tuner setting on the radio. I am stumped.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Very neat and tidy so far!  I'm looking to do something similar with my FT-891, though I likely won't spring for that battery.  I'll keep using a SLA and mostly work park portable type settings.  For truly portable, I'll use the IC-703.  I'm also curious about that tuner.  Have you actually tested it with an antenna connected, and if so, does it tune via the button on the tuner, or the tune function within the radio?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I finally got the FT-891 to work with the MFJ-939.

I bought my MFJ-939 set up for ICOM, so I bought the Y cable and changed the jumpers for Yaesu. Unfortunately even with my glasses on I put the JP-2 jumper from I to 1 instead of I to Y.

I rechecked everything today and it does work nicely.

It tunes with the button on the radio.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Glad to hear you got it sorted out, Mach!
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Op,

Did you have to fo anything special to get the 891 to work with the 939?

My 939 works well with my ic-7300 so I bought the 5114Y csble for the MFJ-939 but can not get it to work with the FT891.

Radio does not transmit with the tuner turned on. I I turn the tuner off the radio transmits powet, tuner on, no power from the radio.Red transmit light comes on but no transmit power from the radio. I tried the 3 different tuner setting on the radio. I am stumped.
View Quote
Set the FT891 to external antenna and you should be good.   I can now push the tuner soft button on the radio and it works fine.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I was thinking of getting an FT-857D.  After this thread, I'm reconsidering, thinking of getting an FT-891 for HF and an FTM-100DR for VHF/UHF.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Just curious if you've put your setup out into the field for testing yet?  I'm running a similar setup, though not as refined.  Tuner is a LDG AT100-ProII and the battery is just a SLA 18Ah.  Worked great today on a POTA activation.  I ran 40W into a 9:1 UNUN and 53' of wire.  Made 35 contacts on 40 and 20.  Funny thing was a contact on 20M less than a 1/2 mile away, followed shortly after by a contact in France!  lol

Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#42]
@rara1141 and everyone else with an FT-891,

Is there a reason why you did not consider the yaesu FC-50 antenna that is made for the FT-891, other than the $330 price?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#43]
The price tag is a big one, but the matching range is also very limited.  If I didn't already have the LDG, I would have bought the MFJ-939.  They are faster than the LDG tuners and can handle more power on digital modes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@rara1141 and everyone else with an FT-891,

Is there a reason why you did not consider the yaesu FC-50 antenna that is made for the FT-891, other than the $330 price?
View Quote
Main reason was the FC-50 won't reliably match your antenna if you're more than 3:1 SWR

I wanted to get it (prefect size by design) but I got a MFJ 939 and it works perfect and it's quick and the TNR function on follows your match as you tune around just like the FC-50 does.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#45]
OP,

Did MFJ replace the "battle worn look" tuner cover? I was curious if they made it right or did DX Engineering do something for you?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was thinking of getting an FT-857D.  After this thread, I'm reconsidering, thinking of getting an FT-891 for HF and an FTM-100DR for VHF/UHF.
View Quote
I have both of those and neither one I reget one bit . The 891 is one of the best values on the market . and the ftm 100 has the best receiver Ive ever used on vhf / uhf .  I use the 100 all day while at work and it doesnt skip a bit .
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Started the portable station build.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/63075/74DCBC65-7B69-411E-AC5C-037104A2F784-338021.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/63075/A81A0E8C-38ED-43FC-9DC1-00A8E5375274-338020.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/63075/0D7F9925-363B-4367-825D-1186B2EE7109-338017.jpg
ABS plastic cut into a tapered shape to match the bag's inside profile and rounded the edges for smooth fit.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/63075/034018BF-33E7-44BF-A954-7C7BE04722B9-338016.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/63075/1C835D45-7AC8-4AF3-A757-632BEA659C60-338015.jpg
Rough layout of the battery, tuner and radio.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/63075/30C563F5-87F6-4A6D-925C-E5A30F1BC351-338019.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/63075/3311A3CA-FBCA-4E24-92CF-0E6D9A1DD50C-338018.jpg
20AH and only weighs 5.4 lbs with battery management with 40A continuous current draw
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/63075/5730CE42-4C70-48C3-B991-9946C1B3C8B4-338022.jpg

Waiting on a distribution power block for the Powerpoles and a watt meter to finish wiring.

Deciding on how exactly to mount the battery and tuner to the ABS sheet.

I will probably use some 3M Dual Lock and maybe I can make a couple of side pieces of ABS to hold the radio to the tuner.
View Quote
What power distro block are you using, and where did you get it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top