Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2017 8:50:27 PM EDT
Question for KX3 owners who run Digital modes. What interface and cables do you use?
Someone once mentioned that he did not need an interface if a KX3 is connected to a KPX bands cope module. I have an optional bands cope unit but couldn't find any info on using it's USB port for digital modes. Perhaps I misunderstood it. I don't use my KX3 often. Last time I used it was last year. I'm not crazy about it's RX performance  and need to either use it more often or sell it.
Is there anything else to be aware of when running digital on the radio?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
All you need is the 3.5mm audio in/out cables and connect them to your computer. Set the radio to VOX and you're good to go - no interface required.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a signalink
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a signalink
View Quote
+1  SignaLink here with my KX3.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All you need is the 3.5mm audio in/out cables and connect them to your computer. Set the radio to VOX and you're good to go - no interface required.
View Quote
Yup. I have hundreds of qso doing this method.

ETA: also change the mic btn menu item to off or your radio will scan freqs
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interesting. The microphone connector has 4 rings (4 conductors). Do I need to purchase the same connector or will a regular 3 conductor, stereo connector work? Obviously I don't need microphone power from the radio. Does it need a DC blocking capacitor in the microphone circuit? Any issues with overloading the MIC input with the high level computer output designed for earphones? Back in the days it was a no-no and required a special matching transformer.
The USB interface does sound like a better deal since it provides proper galvanic isolation (if i remember correctly). I have one but I don't have a special cable for the KX3 yet.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#6]
All the blocking protection and isolation is built right in to the KX3. Elecraft designed it that way to be super simple for running digital modes. Using an interface is completely unnecessary. You can use a regular audio cable, since you're not using the PTT, or Mic Up/Dwn buttons. Elecraft sells some basic low profile audio cables , or just use your own.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All the blocking protection and isolation is built right in to the KX3. Elecraft designed it that way to be super simple for running digital modes. Using an interface is completely unnecessary. You can use a regular audio cable, since you're not using the PTT, or Mic Up/Dwn buttons. Elecraft sells some basic low profile audio cables , or just use your own.
View Quote
upvote
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to revisit using my KX3 without the SignaLink.  I think I had an issue not hearing the voice prompts when using WSJT-X and JT Alert.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm going to revisit using my KX3 without the SignaLink.  I think I had an issue not hearing the voice prompts when using WSJT-X and JT Alert.
View Quote
Yeah that could happen if you only used one sound device. You could either use a cheap USB sound card $5 on amazon, or setup a virtual audio cable.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I did not know they included the proper isolation. I wonder if they used opto isolating or transformers. I'll try it with regular 3.5mm stereo cables. I bought a set of all needed cables from Elecraft because the radio was in pieces when I got it. Hopefully they will work.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's all I use. Same for iPad as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#12]
If I were to acquire a KX3, what options would I want with it?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on what applications you intend to use it for.

In my case, I got all the options, I think.

All the filters because I knew I'd be doing QRP digital and being able to narrow the reception down to a single PSK 31 signal and excluding all others is certainly worth it IMHO to pick out a weak or rare station.

20W tuner as I knew I'd be using at various operating methods, compromise antennae when operating QRP mobile.

The hand mic, because, why not.

And now recently the 2M module because I want to experiment with VHF digital modes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

All the filters because I knew I'd be doing QRP digital and being able to narrow the reception down to a single PSK 31 signal and excluding all others is certainly worth it IMHO to pick out a weak or rare station.

20W tuner as I knew I'd be using at various operating methods, compromise antennae when operating QRP mobile.

And now recently the 2M module because I want to experiment with VHF digital modes.
View Quote
Yup I got them all including the 2m later when it came out. Hands down my favorite radio. I have carried it all around the world with me and if has performed great. My only real gripe is I wish it had an internal lipo battery instead of the AA (please someone post a link).

If the KX2 had been out when I bought mine I might have sprung for it. Really all you loose is 160m and AM, which really aren't what I am doing with a KX anyway. I usually have a HT for VHF, but I have been using my KX3 as a SSB rig on 2m so that is something I am glad of.

Pretty much -- If you want 160m, AM, VHF get the KX3
If you want better battery and size get the KX2
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#15]
You also lose 6M with the KX2.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Ahh 6meters I didn't catch that one. That is my sincgars capability
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread reminded me I need to update my KX3

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since it's a portable radio, you will benefit from adding an antenna tuner and obviously, a microphone. I also bought a bandscope module but hardly ever use it. Adding a bandscope or a 100W amp. makes the whole package too bulky and requires additional power to run. I simply bring my IC7300 when weight and limited power source are not an issue, or simply pack my FT-857 for semi-portable operation. Your "mileage" may vary.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
Hmm, I never updated mine since I ass-sembled it several years ago.  It seems to work fine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine hasn't given me issues either. Real reason for the update is PSK63 built in and the extra 3w is nice too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you guys use rig control feature with FLDigi software? If yes, how? I do have a USB cable for the KX3 but have never used it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#22]
So far, I've spent half a day trying to make it work. Nothing works, as usual. The computer can't hear anything from the radio, no matter what I do. The computer has only one jack for a headset. I bought a splitter but something keeps it from working right. Also, FLDIGI has no +1500 setting available.
I'm only doing this for emergency comms. I hate digital modes and hate to use any computers with ham radios.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also, FLDIGI has no +1500 setting available.
View Quote
Here's where you change the scale between FREQ and "+1500".  Just check the box.

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Rig control: yes, absolutely. Easy to do. Fldigi gives you a number of ways to do it. Just plug the USB cable in and you'll get a COM port installed automagically. Then follow one of the bajillion KX3-Fldigi setup websites that you can Google. Like this one.

Audio cables: forgive me if I'm making a poor assumption about what you did, but I'm assuming that you just assumed that the cables you bought would simply work because the plugs fit into the jacks. Assumption is the mother of all f' up's, and never more so than when people assume things about cables and connectors.

Do you know what the pinouts of the connectors are on the radio and the PC? Did you make a schematic of how they should wire together using the knowledge of the pinouts? Did you actually configure/make a set of cables that matches the schematic?

The other thing that really throws people is using the Windows Sound Control Panel to make device assignments, and using the Windows Mixer control to adjust levels.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#25]
The problem is in the computer. It's a Lenovo piece of crap laptop. I should have returned it when I bought it last year. Why they don't include normal audio in/out is beyond me. Heck, they did not even include a normal video or HDMI jack. All it has is a mini-HDMI.
Assume or not, I can't find a definitive schematic of the headset connector on the computer. Obviously I have a better computer in the shack but I have a much better radio in the shack as well. Right now, I want to make my KX3 to work with the Lenovo laptop.
I'll try again sometime later. I don't have the patience like I used to. Fighting constant health issues does not help either. Fuck this computer shit. CW rules!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#26]
@Gyprat: maybe these will be of some help:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht104054

and

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#27]
One of these live in my kx3 bag. It's a pretty easy solution and let's you interface with the majority of laptops as well as phones.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#28]
My laptop has a combo headphone out/mic input jack, and I was able to find a splitter from MicroCenter that works with it. I have had a couple Windows tablets that would not recognize the mic in, and would just default to the default system microphone input, which was super frustrating. No amount of messing with settings would make the device recognize the mic in. Hopefully this is not the case with your laptop.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One of these live in my kx3 bag. It's a pretty easy solution and let's you interface with the majority of laptops as well as phones.
View Quote
This is what I have but it does not work. I tried connecting a signal generator to the MIC input. No joy.
I'm thinking about selling the KX3 and using my old trusty FT-817 and FT-857 instead, depending on how portable it needs to be. Honestly, I'm not impressed with the Elecraft.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks. I found a similar diagram but something in the computer is not right. All the computer settings appear to be correct but it's hard to tell. I'm not an IT guru, just a dumb user.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#31]
FWIW I ended up selling my KX3 and went back to my FT-817 for a lot of things because the dang thing just works, and I didn't want to hassle with the 1001 settings on the KX3. The KX3 isn't all that smaller or more portable than the 817, and the shortcoming on VHF/UHF were enough to push me to sell it.

Now...the KX2. I love that radio. It blows the 817 out of the water for simple, small, portable HF work. 10w, internal tuner, great internal battery, built-in mic, etc...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FWIW I ended up selling my KX3 and went back to my FT-817 for a lot of things because the dang thing just works, and I didn't want to hassle with the 1001 settings on the KX3. The KX3 isn't all that smaller or more portable than the 817, and the shortcoming on VHF/UHF were enough to push me to sell it.

Now...the KX2. I love that radio. It blows the 817 out of the water for simple, small, portable HF work. 10w, internal tuner, great internal battery, built-in mic, etc...
View Quote
Glad you like the KX2. I have never used one nor seen it with my own eyes. It looks very similar to KX3, on pictures.

I decided not buy any radios anymore because I have way too many. I really don't need a super portable rigs either, because I can't hike nor ride my motorbike anymore. Portable for me is getting it from my car to a tent or keeping one installed in my R-Pod travel trailer. This is why I recently purchased an IC-7300. There are several great radios in the shack as well. I really need to downsize.
Having tried a lot of radios, the FT-857d remains as my favorite semi-potrable, "take along" radio. It does great on Digital modes as well, with a Signalink interface.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Gyprat,

All you need us a USB keyboard, and to turn on the proper settings in the PX3 and KX3 menus. It works a treat, though setting up macros is something I haven’t figured out how to do yet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That pretty much covers it, but I have to say that the PX3 really improved my operating experience, especially being able to do digital coms without a computer. Heck, being able to eavesdrop on CW QSO’s has been fun but people don’t want to talk to you if you are cheating. You can send PSK (31 and 63), RTTY, And CW with the CW paddles or key.

Adding the battery charging module is worth it, it adds a clock and an alarm function, and adding either the filters or 2m option at the factory gets your unit temperature compensated which fixes frequency drift when having long digital transmissions.

If money is tight, get the tuner and filters first, then the rest as you can afford. Don’t worry about the radio being too complicated, it is my first rig and I’m getting by pretty well without cracking the manual too often. I would be on mine tonight if my antenna mast weren’t down due to my septic system being replaced this week.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would be on mine tonight if my antenna mast weren’t down due to my septic system being replaced this week.
View Quote
The bands have been shitty, anyway.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#36]
20m has actually been working really well for me the last few days. Using one of those mini hamsticks on my car I've been making a lot of contacts all over the US and Canada with 50w SSB.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yeah that could happen if you only used one sound device. You could either use a cheap USB sound card $5 on amazon, or setup a virtual audio cable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, I did revisit using my KX3 without the SignaLink USB, successfully, on both FLDigi and WSJT-X/JTAlert-X.  

I can now hear the voice prompts on WSJT-X/JTAlert-X, since adding the cheap USB soundcard from Amazon.  This was the main problem I had if I wasn't using the SignaLink.

Now, riddle me this:  Can you guys hear the start/stop tones on FLDigi when using your KX3 on digi modes?  
When using my 7200 and FLDigi, I can (sometimes) hear the tones even if I can't see anything on the waterfall.  I miss that with the KX3, since the mic and phone plugs are occupied with cables.  It's totally silent, but still decodes fine.  This is particularly useful so as to not "step" on another station who may be ghost-printing at your location.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#38]
BD, You might be able to use the audio out jack on the Signalink to monitor the audio; though, I think it is in the receive path. Maybe using an amplified speaker. HTH 73, Rob
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks Rob.

I had similar thoughts on this and I may try an external powered speaker and a 3.5Mm Mono Y-Adapter Cable 3.5Mm Male-Two 3.5Mm Female .

Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#40]
BD if you are using Windows, right click the volume icon and select recording devices. At the top there will be a tab labeled listen. Check the listen box and set your speakers as the playback, now you can hear the audio coming from the radio. Very handy sonyou don't have to disconnect going from dig to voice
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#41]
That did exactly what I was looking for!  It was so easy, even a Klingon could do it!
Thanks again, gcw.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That did exactly what I was looking for!  It was so easy, even a Klingon could do it!
Thanks again, gcw.  
View Quote
You my boy blue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top