Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2017 10:44:05 AM EDT
QRP, CW sprint tonight.

Runs from 0030-0230Z on 10/11/17, but that translates to tonight for most of us.

Details here.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a number,  but haven't used it in a contest yet.  worked WES over the weekend and had a lot of Fun. If i get home from the 2nd job on time,  i might try it out on 40m.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
What percentage of participants are actually keying the CW as opposed to using a computer?  Doing it with a straight key is hard core.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What percentage of participants are actually keying the CW as opposed to using a computer?  Doing it with a straight key is hard core.
View Quote
You can see the results and categories of the last sprint here.  Without actually doing the calculations, I guess 60% use a straight key.  In the keyer/keyboard category, I suspect 99-100% are using a paddle.

Honestly, I doubt anyone uses a keyboard/computer, unless they actually need to, for physical reasons.   The whole point of these contests is to get on the air, make some CW contacts, and just have fun.  Winning is not too important for most of us.

And in the SKCC sprints, I guess 90% are using a straight key, and the other 10% are using a bug or cootie.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Spun the dial for an hour, and didn't hear one signal on 20, 40 or 80 meters.  Gave up and turned the rig off.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I caught their MD special event call booming in here around 00:15 on 80meters.  Not sure how he was that loud qrp, must have a heck of an antenna.  
One other and that was it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I got home from my second job too late. Looks like the qrparci fall QSO Party is coming up,  that is usually fun.  qrparci
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Got to be honest...I'm getting tired of this QRP stuff.  

It's weird, though.  I run 10 watts on 40 and 80 meters because of my antenna limitations, and during the SKCC sprints I seem to do OK. But every time one of these QRP contests comes up, the propagation seems to go right down the toilet, and I can't hear squat (an no one hears me).  
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I had so much noise & propagation sucked for me last night. I was on the air maybe 15 minutes & shut down.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got to be honest...I'm getting tired of this QRP stuff.  

It's weird, though.  I run 10 watts on 40 and 80 meters because of my antenna limitations, and during the SKCC sprints I seem to do OK. But every time one of these QRP contests comes up, the propagation seems to go right down the toilet, and I can't hear squat (an no one hears me).  
View Quote
Yeah,
I know what you mean,  I keep the rig at 100 watts for most QSOs. Propagation seems weird right now,  I think it will improve toward the end of the month. There are some things I like to do QRP, like qrparci contests,  and the Spartan Sprint.  Other things I make about operating technique and information exchange,  like WES. If I can manage to get a dedicated quality QRP rig. I'll spend more time focusing on it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
If the Kp index is high and screwing up the bands, make thre best of it and click here to watch the aurora from Norway. They get some very nice displays on this website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top