Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2017 6:09:53 PM EDT
Stumbled across this today. That's one way to do VHF.

All I could think is... you know a buddiestick and a 7200 are going to outperform this. Got to admire the dedication, though!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I reached when I realized that's a PORTABLE tower system.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
It's amazing how much bad-ass you can pile up in one place and still achieve Absolutely Zero on the CDI scale...
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's amazing how much bad-ass you can pile up in one place and still achieve Absolutely Zero on the CDI scale...
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I really have no frame of reference for that video.  I'd love to see footage of them setting up the station and packing it up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All I could think is... you know a buddiestick and a 7200 are going to outperform this.
View Quote

NVIS for the win!

That ought to stir things up.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I really have no frame of reference for that video.  I'd love to see footage of them setting up the station and packing it up.
View Quote
I looked at the video closely, and it looks like the yagis fold onto a single rod that's then attached to the tower, which makes
sense because otherwise it'd take days to get set up. These are German hams and I think they probably were as excited to
engineer the thing as they were to work other stations.

There's a glimpse of a grid map of Europe and it looks like between the QTH and their station, they have coverage of most of the
continent? I'm assuming with all the yagis they must be doing some troposcatter work, which would give their station a diameter of
coverage on the order of ~1200 miles.

But yes, Kekoa, I'm sure NVIS would work nicely. And groundwave too. Definitely using a sledgehammer where a flyswatter would
work nicely, but hey, more power to them, I'm impressed even if it's not how I'd approach that particular problem.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ocGZ3UeuI
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#8]
(feeling faint)

Wow.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Go be poor somewhere else OP....wait this isn't GD.  Europeans are very serious about radio as a sport.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
(feeling faint)

Wow.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure they're full quieting into the local repeater.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I like seeing anyone pushing the limits...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe these guys don't want too have to study for the Generals or Extra test and they are making do best they can as Technicians ?

Did I see this antenna system in the MFJ catalog ?

But Seriously, It impressed me.
I like seeing people push things to their limits and beyond, And these guys have done it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Back when you had to pass a CW test, there were lots of technician licensed guys who were BIG into VHF/UHF SSB

around 5:00 . . . that's a TS590 on 20meters / 14.mhz  LOL.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ocGZ3UeuI
Wow.  That is badass.  I feel grossly inadequate.  I installed a Comet GP-3 clamped to a piece of conduit on one of my fence posts over the weekend.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm, I just use a Larsen 5/8 wave for VHF
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Back when you had to pass a CW test, there were lots of technician licensed guys who were BIG into VHF/UHF SSB
around 5:00 . . . that's a TS590 on 20meters / 14.mhz  LOL.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG_5725-328752.JPG
View Quote
Running a transverter probably.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Running a transverter probably.
View Quote
yes, . . . that makes sense LOL

sorry

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stumbled across this today. That's one way to do VHF.

All I could think is... you know a buddiestick and a 7200 are going to outperform this. Got to admire the dedication, though!
View Quote

A $20 tablet connected to WI-FI could outperform both HF and VHF/UHF. This is not the point. It's their hobby. Obviously they are into contesting. I'm sure they have a very nice HF contest station as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]
kinda Really Want!
#badass fo sho
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#20]
No. Never in my life have I wanted to spend that kind of money and engineering just to be able to hear MORE old people chatting about the weather.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No. Never in my life have I wanted to spend that kind of money and engineering just to be able to hear MORE old people chatting about the weather.
View Quote
that's not what contesting is

you're thinking of VHF/UHF FM  

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd estimate the trees are 100ft or so tall so that puts the uppermost

stack at 120 or thereabouts. Impressive.

Not quite as impressive, but harkens back to my early ham days.
N2JMH PSYCHO HAM RADIO ROVER

@svga-1
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Holy shitsnacks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Ahh...good times.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Some clubs are very serious about contesting. I've been to a club station in Ukraine where they utilized several specialized, military "electronic warfare" mobile trucks for VHF/UHF contesting. Those were nice, with automatically deploying towers, on-board generators etc. They could deploy several tall antenna towers within 10 minutes and be gone to a different location within minutes. This was 30 years ago. Wish I had pictures.
My Czech buddies are big into contesting as well. Now they have 4 contesting locations with one of them being a 15-th century castle they own. They do a lot of DX-peditions as well. Wish I could go. Interesting thing is that they can have as many ham callsigns as they want, including individual callsigns. They are a very dedicated bunch. Here is their WEBSITE with some pictures as well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Now we are talking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top