Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2017 1:05:14 PM EDT
I have my Technician License, KG5SEK, and will go in two weeks to take the test for General. I have a couple of the Bao FengV5R radios that I am playing with, and a BTECH UV5X3 that I just acquired. I like the Tri-Band capability of the UV5X3 and I am now looking at a mobile radio for my tuck.

I understand the buy once cry once principle and that you generally get what you pay for. But I also have a limited budget for my new hobby and have to prioritize my funds for other hobbies such as Hunting, Camping, and Fishing that I enjoy doing.

Does anyone have any experience with the BTECH line of mobiles such as the BTECH MOBILE UV-50X2 50 Watt Dual Band Base, or other Chinese made base/mobile radios in that price range. My goal is to upgrade as I can afford it. There are several quad and tri band radios on Amazon in that price range, but I have had a good experience with the BTECH and Bao Feng brands so far.

I work for the County as in the Fire Marshal’s office and have been a firefighter for 28 years so I am familiar with two way radios and all that they involve.

Thanks for any input or advice.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm on a budget too, but I'd go the extra $$$ with a dual (or more) band mobile radio's by baofeng etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the UV 2501+220 tri-band mobiles. It has been lightly used but has performed very well, although it was rather nightmarish to get programmed. I notice they are no longer imported.

That being said, I would strongly suggest you consider only Yaesu, Kenwood, Alinco, etc. I do think you are getting more for your money, and I've had such incredibly good results with Yaesu and Kenwood that I will be avoiding the second tier radios in the future.

Cheers...   jIm
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a used Kenwood TK series on ebay. Please do not put those radios on a public safety radio system.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have my Technician License, KG5SEK
View Quote

..and we now have your name and address (newer folks don't always remember that).

I have a UV-5R, and it fits the bill. If it breaks, I'll buy another one. I would recommend planning on this for all current chicom radios. Most are cheaply built, and not easy to find schematics/troubleshooting info.

If you'd like something to last, and/or want to fix something when it breaks, save up and get a used name brand radio (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc.). If you're not interested in repairability, and want something that can be replaced cheaply, go with the chinese stuff.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies so far. NAM, let me know ahead of time before you come visit so I can put the watchdogs up and I’ll throw something on the grill.

We use Kenwood radios at work and they are defiantly tougher than the Baoefeng or BTECH radios I have. I know I can program them to work on the public safety bands I currently use but I don't.

I'll keep looking and playing with my Chi-Com radios for now, keep stashing back a little more money towards a base/mobile radio and see what’s out there when I decide to buy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW:

I bought a Kenwood 2m HT for $99 (open box) about a year or so ago.  Last week I found it under her passenger seat with the antenna sheared off (SMA connector broken).  I sent it to Kenwood for repair, $9 shipping there and $75 for repair and return shipping.

it was worth that to me, it's my favorite radio I own (from top to bottom).  That's 6 or 7 Bao's I could have bought-but no thanks.  

Save your money-it took me 6 mo to buy my first Mobile, still have it in the truck-Kenwood about 3 generations old-works every time.

btw: I have an Alinco Dual-bander (with Cross-band repeat) that I just took outta the house if you're interested let me know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top