Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2017 8:01:26 AM EDT
It seems P25 phase 2 is not supported as much yet, just seeing if anyone here has tried it.  I can always go over to radio reference but the autism-meter over there is hard to deal with some days.... I'm a RR member with the Burgers' so I feel ok saying that https://forums.radioreference.com/voice-control-channel-decoding-software/

My city is switching the public safety guys over this month to a new system.  I'd like to see setup software on a laptop first before I spend the big bucks on a receiver.  First, I want to see just what will be encrypted as there was mention of everything being encrypted at first, but lots of non-public safety talkgroups are not (they went online a couple of months ago) and even a talkgroup they used for a shelter from Harvey was in the clear so I'm wondering if they'll save it for CID, Vice, etc.  

Plus I'm waiting for Phase 2 coverage on the G5 pager.  If I'm gonna spend the cash, might as well go nuts.  http://www.unicationusa.com/g5-p25-voice-pager

I'll use this at home, so about 2.5 miles from the tower and when I'm at work, about 200ft
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]
paging @gcw

Id' dig around at the RTL-SDR blog if you haven't already linked here
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
paging @gcw

Id' dig around at the RTL-SDR blog if you haven't already linked here
View Quote
Thanks, had not seen that.  I don't see any mention of phase 2 on there but I'll do some digging tonight at work.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I was able to listen to the P2 system in Las Vegas using OP25 which is a gnu radio program on linux.

Radio Reference link. This is the go to for getting it setup. The biggest problem I had was the osmocom git repos were down, luckily I was able to find an old download I had. I have done plenty of gnuradio things, but this was the hardest by far. Once you get it up and running it isnt that bad but it is a journey for sure.

DSD+ will still demod the control channel and give you the call assignments and registrations but you wont get any voice following. There are some scanners that will do p2 but they are $$$. Word on the street is the next DSD+ fastlane update will have the ability to do p25 p2.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used DSD for Phase 1, but nothing Phase 2 in the area yet. Few weeks ago I broke down and picked up a BCD436HP. Got a good deal, and it works with both P1 and P2 P25 (in addition to others....verdict is out on NXDN though...)
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe everything on our new system is going to be a phase 2 talkgroup, unless they save some of the old xts5000 that police and fire had since they are only capable of phase one modulation.

I thought about getting a scanner, but the consumer great products seem to have problems choking on simulcast systems. When I'm at work I would have no issues since I am literally 200 ft from the tower, but when I am home I am in between towers and also driving around town so I could end up with some real issues. That's why I plan on holding out to get a G5 with Phase 2 upgrade next year if my city stays unencrypted for most Public Safety Communications.

While I scanner is useful for finding to talkgroups, I hope to have a laptop based solution to do that sort of work to go along with the G5.

Like I said, I'll do some more reading at work tonight to see what sort of solution I can come up with. I'm not a computer expert by any means, but I couldn't hopefully figure it out LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top