Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2017 12:43:35 PM EDT
To go along with my solar panels, I got a Chameleon Antenna EMCOMM-II end-fed half wave and a MFJ-1913 28ft. lightweight telescoping mast. I'm looking for an ultra-lightweight tripod to use as a base for the mast. I remember seeing one somewhere but can't remember where I saw it.

Any suggestions on a really lightweight tripod that can handle up to a 2" base pole?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
if you go to Amazon and look for Speaker Tripods, there are many different lightweight aluminium ones. I have one that will support 150 lbs if I remember right and use it for a 20 ft aluminium mast.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Slik tripods for hunting. You can get all different sizes, removable QD plates. They also have independent legs, so you can really adjust it easily to fit even the most crazy spots.

Forgive the guerrilla jpole setup.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Used music stand

Wait, not a 2-inch antenna.

A telescoping 28-foot antenna?

That's easy, stakes and guy lines
There is no way you can expect stability from a man-portable tripod supporting such a tall mast
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a setup I pieced together for backpacking. The tripod is actually an NMO which I bought for being a VHF/UHF base but could act as HF with a NMO to 3/8 adapter. I can't remember who made the coil and the whip is just a GI whip from an old 119. It worked ok for the time I used it. I used my yo yo dipole as an elevated set of radials.

It has since been retired from HF in favor of my Packtenna, but I dug it out the other day to put back into service as a VHF/UHF base for my camper.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]
The buddipole tripod is designed to hold masts, not sure how it would do with the MFJ version, but it looks like it would fit. I wouldn't call it ultralight, but its not ultra heavy either, it is alum IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't remember who made the coil]
View Quote
Wolf River Coils

Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wolf River Coils

View Quote
That's right.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I use this... have two complete mast assemblies.

https://www.goverticalusa.com/collections/portable-tripod-mast-kits/products/antenna-tripod-29ft-aluminum-portable-tower-mast-kit

On this link, right click and Save As... it is an MP4.  You can see how this is erected by one person.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST%20Binaries/Jun2011/QS0611Dixon.mp4

Here are my two at a statewide emergency drill.

Attachment Attached File

The mast sections are aluminum mil-surp.  But on the one on the left, I used two pieces of mil-surp fiberglass
mast, and simply taped on a N9TAX 2m Slim Jim (window line type).  The mast assembly on the right is all aluminum
sections, and 6 sections high, about 22', to support the 75-40-20-17-15-10 m HF antenna array.  

It would be possible to put the two fiberglass pieces on top of the 6 aluminum pieces, have it all on one mast,
if necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top