Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2017 9:45:32 AM EDT
A co-worker has family in PR and hasn't managed to get information about her mother in Rio Grande on the East Coast. I don't have HF to get onto a hurricane net and she isn't licensed. Who would I contact to get a wellness check?

I'm crossposting to the Reddit amateur radio board.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Have they checked with the salvation army?

https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do it here
View Quote
They can only send 5 messages a day? Only a canned message? Seriously? Screw the NTS crap, blow off the message forms and Winlink nonsense, reduce the overhead of sending a message to a minimum, and just read the damn messages across and accept some error rate. Limit the message to 50 characters and they could do 30 messages an hour.

Still not a lot, though. One team with a Iridium SMS terminal and pelican case full of laptops could set up a text messaging kiosk operation and do 10 times that, and run the whole mess off of solar power. Got to pay the Iridium bill, though...
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea. Not sure whats stopping anyone from using olivia or any other digital mode to relay messages en mass. Finding and delivering them to the end recipient is harder I would guess.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They can only send 5 messages a day? Only a canned message? Seriously? Screw the NTS crap, blow off the message forms and Winlink nonsense, reduce the overhead of sending a message to a minimum, and just read the damn messages across and accept some error rate. Limit the message to 50 characters and they could do 30 messages an hour.

Still not a lot, though. One team with a Iridium SMS terminal and pelican case full of laptops could set up a text messaging kiosk operation and do 10 times that, and run the whole mess off of solar power. Got to pay the Iridium bill, though...
View Quote
I don't think the problem is a technical one. Any ham on the island is dealing with the same problems as everyone else while attempting to relay messages.
Once he receives the message he must somehow find the person and that is what would take time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't think the problem is a technical one. Any ham on the island is dealing with the same problems as everyone else while attempting to relay messages.
Once he receives the message he must somehow find the person and that is what would take time.
View Quote
You are right, the problem is all process oriented, that's what I was saying in my first post. To you point, there is no way that some ham is taking messages and traipsing all over the island to deliver them. If some ham is doing that then they are stupid. You take the messages and you post them all up a big makeshift bulletin board. Word of the big bulletin board will spread all over the island and people will come to you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
This sounds like something you should organize.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps when I am older and retarded-er-retired I can start an international communications relief organization. Comm's is obviously a huge capability gap as a primary relief resource. By "primary" I'm not referring to comm's for relief organizations, they bring their own SATCOM, but comm's for the affected population to use directly.

For now, however, I'm way too busy for such serious global philanthropic efforts. My current philanthropic efforts are much more local in nature, and include volunteering at the local hospital by running the pet therapy program, and flying the occasional Young Eagles rally (flew 6 loads today, in fact).
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:28:04 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2034776_Puerto-Rico-Anyone-make-contact-.html

Cincinnatus is planning to fly into Puerto Rico, but he has specific questions about the passability of the roads, specifically Highway 52, Route 2, and Route 116.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Puerto-Rico-Anyone-make-contact-/5-2034776/?page=4#i68260493
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Perhaps when I am older and retarded-er-retired I can start an international communications relief organization. Comm's is obviously a huge capability gap as a primary relief resource. By "primary" I'm not referring to comm's for relief organizations, they bring their own SATCOM, but comm's for the affected population to use directly.

For now, however, I'm way too busy for such serious global philanthropic efforts. My current philanthropic efforts are much more local in nature, and include volunteering at the local hospital by running the pet therapy program, and flying the occasional Young Eagles rally (flew 6 loads today, in fact).
View Quote
...but have ample time to tell others how to do things. Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

...but have ample time to tell others how to do things. Interesting.
View Quote
OK, bring it on. I'm not saying I don't deserve it. I'll freely admit, and anyone who is familiar with my posts knows, that I'm down on amateur radio for emergency communications. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Just FYI -- American Red Cross is working with the ARRL, they've requested 50 hams for PR.

Update: Direct link to ARRL

Apparently they're picking up the check on this one, and providing training (though I have to imagine they'll have to do that fast to be of use.)
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#13]
It didn't appear to me that ARRL or the ARC would be paying anybody to go down there. It looked to me like they wanted volunteers. I read the e-mail as saying the ARC would get you down there. What about food and shelter? (Or, more likely, you become a resident in the shelter you're providing comms for.) Better hope the shelter has a place to set up your rig and its antenna, and have power, which may not be all that likely yet.

The security situation down there isn't too stable right now, either....
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#14]
comms are coming out on 14.265 on the SATERN Net, not many but comm that come out of PR with a phone number are being handled real time, even by people that are being a relay for net control, are making the phone calls passing messages.

It looks like the comms going in is the bottle neck.

I was listening yesterday, but could only hear net control.

Health and welfare request info is found on this page.

http://www.satern.org/en/HomePage.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top