Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2017 11:04:35 PM EDT
Much sadness. I wanted badly to build an Electraft KX1 a while back over winter. I ordered it. Then the next day was hit with a large and unexpected expense. I canceled the order. Now, Elecraft has discontinued the kit.

What else is out there that might be comparable?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't consider it comparable, but this new rig is getting some folks excited: http://www.qrp-labs.com/qcx.html

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Bitx40! $59!

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
They also discontinued the K1. That's a shame because it's a true kit along the line of the old Heathkits, through-hole components and everything.

I have one set up for 40 and 20, and it was a pleasure to build and fun to operate.

I guess we're going back to the pre-WWII days, where if yoiu wanted to build, it was done from scratch.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Bayou jumper. Or something like that from the 4 state qrp group.  
I'll edit and link when I get home. home.

ETA: http://www.4sqrp.com/bayouJumper.php
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
This.
Attachment Attached File

Add case.
Attachment Attached File

On the air, well, a dummy load anyways.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Still looking around. Lot of options out there. Not many/none with an ATU like the KX1 has. Some of my more favored options are...

High on my list is the MTR4B-Mountain-Topper. 80/40/30/20m Low power usage and low voltage operation. Biggest drawback is it doesn't like to run on more than 12v. And they mean 12v apparently. Not more.

Next on my list something like the Youkits EK1C or maybe one of their other radios.

Lots of Chinese radios out there. Not real sure about them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I built one of the original MTR-3B kits and it was a lot of fun. Good learning experience with SMD components. Nice compact rig. I wish it had space in the case for a battery, but no big deal. It will happily run off a 9v alkaline battery for a few hours of operating at ~3 watts. The receiver is very quiet (in a good way). 

The LNR Precision Tr-band antenna negates the need to use a tuner with it as well...

https://www.lnrprecision.com/store/Mountain+Topper+MTR3B+-+Kit+Version-p59162214

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top