Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2017 8:25:57 AM EDT
What can the hive tell me about these from those that run a Linux computer?

DSP is something that holds alot of interest to me.  Whether it be digimodes or CW, there is so much more information out there that what I could possible decode, not to mention other stuff floating around from aircraft beacons to ISS and satellite Tx, etc.  I know there are extremely cheap dongles all the way up to expensive SDRplay devices and while most seem to have good reviews from Windows and Mac machines, I haven't read as much from Linux machines.  Software wise, I'd like to be able to grab and record large swathes of bandwidth then go back and decode later.  From a CW perspective, the recordings would be good training tools for me as I continue to learn CW.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I do the majority of my SDR on Linux. Gnuradio is a great tool. A b200mini and UHD is great for recording IQ data to file, plus it can transmit so you can play it back into other systems.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I'll have to play with that later. I assume as a short-term testbed, I could simply use my Signalink feed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah but that is only 48khz of resolution/bandwidth and still require an external radio.

Why not just buy a RTL? $20 2mhz bandwidth HF up to over 1GHz. Works great with GQRX on Linux or Linux in general
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I definitely will soon.  I just mentioned that as a way to test the software while I wait for the DSA to arrive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
One other question as I'm still learning Linux.  After doing the package install, I get the following error:

Cannot import gnuradio.

Is the python path environment variable set correctly?
All OS: PYTHONPATH

Is the library path environment variable set correctly?
Linux: LD_LIBRARY_PATH

(No module named numpy)

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
How did you install gqrx? What system are you installing it on?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm running Mint 18.3.  According to the instructions, I should only need to type sudo apt-get install gnuradio.  The installer appeared to run correctly so I'm not sure what went wrong.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:27:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The versions in the Ubuntu repositories are out of date.

I've had the best luck following the instructions here:
http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The versions in the Ubuntu repositories are out of date.

I've had the best luck following the instructions here:
http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu
View Quote
Thank you for the link.  The install went smoothly and everything seems to be working now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
MY cheap RTL-SDR has been gathering dust since the 7300 showed up and the 590SG got sent to the cabin.

I need to remember to take it up there next time I go, though I don't have GQRX on that box yet I don't think.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
After installing GQRX, I noticed that SDRplay requires SoapySDR installed for everything to work correctly.  Here's the LINK for that with those running Ubuntu.  It's more time consuming to get everything installed through the Terminal but setup went good and everything seems to be working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top