Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2017 4:31:46 PM EDT
I started a thread over in the survival discussion forum regarding my Irma experience. I purchased a HAM radio a few years ago. I played around with it, but never learned how to really use it. Are there any members from the Central, GA area that can point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in the upstate of SC and get to Atlanta routinely.  I'd start by going to the ARRL website and ordering one of their study manuals.  You'll have to start with the Tech, but I'd go ahead and get the Tech and General books.  Read them, study them, and go through the exam bank questions in the back.  You can also take online exams to practice.  These all have the actual exam bank questions so by the time you take the actual exam, you should have seen the question before.  I strongly suggest not memorizing it, but learning it.  I paid $10 to take my test.  Once you pass the Tech, you can go ahead and take the General class exam.  That's why I suggest studying for both.  Neither is difficult.

Once you've studied up, you should be able to pretty easily find a location to take the test.  Many clubs offer them once a month or so.  You may end up having to drive an hour or so to a larger city.  If you're kinda close to Atlanta, I'd also suggest stopping by Ham Radio Outlet (HRO) on Buford Hwy.  They should have the manuals for sale there, along with other equipment and will be happy to help you.

Drop me a line if you have more questions.

Edited to provide additional information.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Not too far away either up in SC.  Happy to help any way I can.

Give this a look and listen! I break it all down pretty simply.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for the replies and information.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
@GODAWGS: in the survival thread you said you listened to ham radio and implied that you wished you could transmit.

What did you hear that was useful?

Who did you want to talk to and why?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've become a fan of Hamstudy.org. For my technician ticket, I bought 3 different books. For my general, used hamstudy. Aced the test. Can't argue with success.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
There were a few channels that I could pick up. If I recall correctly, one was out of Peachtree City and seemed to be a clearing house for down tree calls or people that needed assistance. It seems like the person in peachtree city was coordinating or at least passing on information.

There were a few other stations that I listed to where people were discussing the storm and power outages.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There were a few channels that I could pick up. If I recall correctly, one was out of Peachtree City and seemed to be a clearing house for down tree calls or people that needed assistance. It seems like the person in peachtree city was coordinating or at least passing on information.

There were a few other stations that I listed to where people were discussing the storm and power outages.
View Quote
Was that information valuable to you? Or was it merely entertaining?

Who did you want to talk to?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes it was entertaining. Anymore stupid questions?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The station in Peachtree City was the National Weather Service office.  You were listening to the Southeastern Linked Repeater network which is used for wide area emergency communications primarily by the NWS and storm spotter volunteers.  Hello from Columbus!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#10]
To bad you aren't closer to Columbus.  I'd be glad to help you.  We have a pretty strong local ham radio community.  I'm not sure the situation in Macon.  I don't know anyone out that way.  I can tell you the Hamstudy.org website is a great resource for preparing you to pass the test.  I suggest you study the Technician Class flashcards for a week and then take a practice exam.  Once you can consistently pass practice exams with 90% then find an exam session and get licensed.  Too easy!  If you want a book for better explanation of the material then I really like the HamRadioSchool.com Technician Class study guide.  I taught a class based on this book earlier in the year and it was a huge success.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for your informative response failureToExtract! I have made some contacts in Macon and will be attending a local meeting to get more information.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome!  Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top