Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2017 2:35:50 PM EDT
Inspired by recent events, I am trying to get my house in order in terms of emergency coms.  I have an HT that is good to go, but I'd like to have a base station of some sort for more range.  I don't own an HF rig, and while taty may happen in the future, my immediate goal is to set up a Yaesu 2M mobile unit I have for home use.  I plant to install it in my basement, and I think I will buy a boat battery to use as a power supply.  I want  mount an antenna on my house.  It is three stories, and there is a chimney I can mount the antenna on.  I figure I can run coax down the side of the house and into the basement.

I need a recommendation for an antenna.  I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible, but I am somewhat flexible.  I think it makes sense to get a dual band unit, as I may upgrade my radio at some point to one that does UHF as well.  I do not own an antenna tuner, so that is also an issue.

Can anyone recommend an antenna?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Diamond X50? They're right around $90

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Comet "GP-3" that's been working great for years.  

I'd get a rig that offers a X band repeater function.  Might come in handy to use with your HT in the event of bad times.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Tram 1480.  Well under a hundred.  Take the savings and put it to some good coax.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tram 1480.  Well under a hundred.  Take the savings and put it to some good coax.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not disagree with any of the above suggestions.  I also Dig the Crossband Dual-band Rig Idea...

but let me add to the once mentioned Coax Cable thought.  At 100' losses on VHF (2m) will be minimal with lower end coax. on 440 (UHF/70cm) you'll need a better feedline.

IF you think you may one day add a dual bander to the mix, I'd spend it on the Coax now and save running a better one, later (ask me how I know)
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Every suggesting so far has been a good one. I'll add that if you want a slightly worse antenna, the Comet GP-1 isn't a bad choice.

This may sound like odd advice but the GP-1 is pretty tiny (about 4' tall) and lower profile and very easy to transport and install.
The others are very noticable, twice the length, and only slightly harder to set up on account of that. The GP-1 is my go to
when I need "an antenna" rather than a "good antenna."

I'd also add that the Tram is an incredible deal and going to be hard to beat with another supplier.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Tram 1480 from Home Depot for $43.  Shipped to store for free, pick up in a few days.  Easy Peasy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been using a TRAM 1480 as my 2 meter base antenna for close to three years now.  I am very satisfied with this antenna and recommend it.  It's basically a Comet GP-6 for less than half the price.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies.  I have two more questions:

1) Do I need to tune this type of antenna?  The mobile VHF antennas I have used in the past cam "pre-tuned," and I just plugged them in.

2) What kind of feed line should I be using?  Can I get a 100' line with connectors already on it? I can make up connectors if I need to, but I usually find factory ones are more reliable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The antennas come pre-tuned, normally centered on 146.52, with very acceptable SWR across the band.

Coax is a big topic of debate. There's a lot of versions but basically you want low loss. Many will recommend LMR400, but
it's a bit stiff and doesn't like to be flexed. I think the current "best" coax is a recommendation made by another member
here, which is Davis RF BuryFlex. It's indoor/outdoor/buriable, losses comparable or better than LMR400, and flexible.

Just don't use CB coax.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#11]
B-Square Engineering stainless steel J-pole.

http://www.b-squareengineering.com/jpole.htm

Inexpensive, omnidirectional, corrosion resistant, great SWR on both bands.

Use RG-8/U type .400" diameter coax... RG-213, LMR-400, etc.

Arrow also makes a good J-pole.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a Comet GP-6. Has been working great so far.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the idea of cross band repeating.  Once I get up and running, I might upgrade to a dual band rig.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the CQ1000 from The Wireman their website sucks, but a phone call is all you need!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Also available via Amazon for roughly $50

Damn it, Amazon link, Y U NO INSERT?

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for the Comet. I have a GP-3 and a GP-1. Both perform very well and are very well made.

I also have an Arrow Antenna GP146/440 - 1/4 Wave Ground Plane in the attic. Arrows are very nice antennas and very well made for what they cost.

All of these choices are under $100
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll +1 the Tram 1480 for a dual band antenna,  $50 delivered via amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H3J4NQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2NYACAJP9I1IY&psc=11

I bought one a couple years back & it has worked well.  A caveat, though, you want to seal the center joint to prevent water infiltration.  I used fusable tape & covered that with vinyl electrical tap to protect from UV.  Also make sure the bottom weep holes stay clear to remove any condensate accumulation.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.
This. Mine's three years old, now and works great. I had a home make, exact copy of an Arrow J pole and an Ed Fong and they were not even in the same league as this antenna.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I say go big and pay the extra money needed.
Get a Comet GP-9 or Diamond 300 as high as you can and use the LMR-400UF coax. The UF means ultra flex and is easy to work with.
If you want performance for simplex 2M and to reach repeaters further out, go big. Don't limit yourself on a small budget and get small results. Pay the extra now and don't look back.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#22]
For VHF/UHF, antenna height is a lot more important than antenna gain (for most omni-directional vertical antennas). Get it as high as you can. You would not believe the difference it makes. Of course, it's not that critical if you simply want to reach some local repeaters.
Also, like everyone mentioned, don't skip on coax cable on these frequencies. You can easily loose half the transmitted power in a coax cable. Same applies for RX. Coax connectors must be sealed very well from moisture. Wrapping it with electrical tape is not enough in most cases. Moisture intrusion can make your antenna inoperative, especially if you use crimped coax connectors. I strongly recommend to solder anything that goes outside.

A cross band radio can be very beneficial.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Built one of these.
It performs well, will take full limit, swr's are low, it's very broadbanded, and can be sectioned so that it can be packed easy.

Edit: It doesn't need to be grounded, can be put up on a PVC pipe, placed in your attic, or hung from a tree etc...

http://www.arrowantennas.com/inst/OSJ146440.pdf
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

...Edit: It doesn't need to be grounded...
View Quote
Umm, yeah, well...

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, rephrase.
It doesnt need to be grounded to operate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Built one of these.
It performs well, will take full limit, swr's are low, it's very broadbanded, and can be sectioned so that it can be packed easy.

Edit: It doesn't need to be grounded, can be put up on a PVC pipe, placed in your attic, or hung from a tree etc...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Built one of these.

I assume you mean that it doesn't need a ground plane or radials.

Despite the claims you would be incorrect:
https://www.w8ji.com/end-fed_vertical.htm

Quoted:
I say go big and pay the extra money needed.
Get a Comet GP-9 or Diamond 300 as high as you can and use the LMR-400UF coax. The UF means ultra flex and is easy to work with.
If you want performance for simplex 2M and to reach repeaters further out, go big. Don't limit yourself on a small budget and get small results. Pay the extra now and don't look back.
My experience with the really tall dual band verticals like those is that first, they perform poorly on 440. Second, they don't hold up to wind, etc very well, and ice will do them in. Lastly, the small boost on 2m is not enough to make up for problems 1 & 2.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Diamond X50? They're right around $90

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.qrz.com/h/kc3ath/diamond_x50.jpg
View Quote
This is what I have, it's great.  I used LMR400 coax for install, and am running a Yaesu FT-7900.  Love the combo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I use the elk directional 5 element 2m/70cm for my home antenna.

LMR-400 feedline.

Yaesu FT7900 base
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Depends on if you want an omni directional or a directional yagi type antenna. 

For general emcoms use I have a Diamond X700HNA vertical.  It's a bit more than $100.00 though. 

Remember, with a directional's lobes, you have drop-offs in RX  as well as with TX. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I use a Comet GP-6. Has been working great so far.
View Quote
+1. Mine has been up since 2005.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been using an Ed Fong J pole.  It's been up for about 5 years, works great.   
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I just ordered a Comet GP-3. I'll post a pic once I get it up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#33]
You'll have to pry my GP-6 from my cold, dead, hands...

But then again,

If I'm dead, I would hope one of you clowns got it anyway
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Every suggesting so far has been a good one. I'll add that if you want a slightly worse antenna, the Comet GP-1 isn't a bad choice.

This may sound like odd advice but the GP-1 is pretty tiny (about 4' tall) and lower profile and very easy to transport and install.
The others are very noticable, twice the length, and only slightly harder to set up on account of that. The GP-1 is my go to
when I need "an antenna" rather than a "good antenna."

I'd also add that the Tram is an incredible deal and going to be hard to beat with another supplier.
View Quote
I've got one of the big diamond base antennas.  I painted it battleship gray, and it's not nearly as noticeable...
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I soldered up a copper j-pole. Clear coated it and can call it "art" to keep the wife calm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top