Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2017 3:32:14 PM EDT
I just got an email that there's a hamcomm in my area this weekend.  

I've got my hf equipment picked out, and don't need to shop at this point.

Any reason to wander the halls?  Any deals to be had at these?   Icom doesn't look to be represented, but there is a swap meet.  I'd be leery of buying anything used from a stranger.

What does the group think?   Way to kill half a day or a waste of time?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Flea market?

Go for it.  Great way to stock your parts box, and you never know WHAT you'll find there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flea market?

Go for it.  Great way to stock your parts box, and you never know WHAT you'll find there.
View Quote
Yes, a flea market Sunday morning.  What kind of stuff do you find at these?  What kind of stuff do i need?

Im so new, i have no clue.  I dont have an HF rig yet.

Heres the site

Citadelgrad's local ham con
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Just checked the link you posted.  Looks like a most excellent hamcom!  Highly recommend you attend.  Wander the swap meet, meet and talk to fellow hams as well as vendors, and definitely attend some of the tech talks, especially the one listed as "for newer hams".  I would certainly go if I was in the area.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh hell ya! FO!
Thats going on 15-17th.
Check out the tech talks and what they are covering. Theres a whole bunch of cool topics they are going to cover.
Plus all the vendors trying to sell ya something. Thats an impressive vendor list. Theres 6 on that list I would love to talk to. My wallet would hate me though.
And theres the grand prize in the drawing of an Icom -7300.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll have to go to at least a few. The ones around here are okay, but 90% of what they have on the table looks like it's been in their backyard for 40 years, and I have no idea what I'm looking at

The guys with the new parts/components are probably the best ones.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Am I reading that right?  $25 just to get in the door?  Sounds pretty steep, to me.  Might hit you up for parking, too.  

I don't know.  It's fun to wander around those events, but unless this one is a hell of a lot better than the one here in DFW, I'd pass for that price.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am I reading that right?  $25 just to get in the door?  Sounds pretty steep, to me.  Might hit you up for parking, too.  

I don't know.  It's fun to wander around those events, but unless this one is a hell of a lot better than the one here in DFW, I'd pass for that price.
View Quote
If you think the $25 admission fee is steep, check out the lunch, dinner, and breakfast prices.

I would pass.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless you are looking for a very specific deal on a very specific item that is likely to be expensive new but possibly cheap at the flea market (e.g. 7/8" hardline connectors, vacuum variable cap's, that sort of thing), then pass, pass, pass. 99% of the stuff at ham fleas is quite literally junk. You don't need to see the new stuff. Most of the tech talks can be found in alternative form on the internet (Youtube, podcast, forums, articles, etc.)

The only other reason is to generate face to face QSOs with guys you only know on the air. I did that once, and once was enough, and in that case the gate was only $5.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Good place to pick up constantly needed items like coax connectors & adapers for small coax (RG-58 and -59 size), maybe some 60-40 solder and a few used hand tools like needle nose pliers, diagonal sidecutters, small screwdrivers, maybe a soldering iron.

Also books, ARRL Handbook, Antenna Book, Repeater Directory, etc. They don't change much from year to year, so look for ones a few years out of date. FWIW, I buy a new one every 8-10 years or so.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#10]
wander, if you find that box that has rf connectors adapters for a buck each buy as many as you can.  Anything from hf to ht conversions come in handy for coax.  Look for an older mfj antenna analyzer on the cheap.  If you run across one ask to test it..  You will be surprised at what you can find, cash is King...  Stick to your plan on an HF rig, if it doesnt have an internal sound card skip it.  Thats my 2 cents..   Coax, wire, connectors, power supply, rf meter, are all common and plentifull.   You will have a good time visiting with local hams.  Might even meet an Elmer..

Don't forget to give us an update after the show..

Prosise
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
maybe?

I recently drove 1 hour 1 way to attend "The Granddaddy of them All" *the Shelby NC Hamfest*.

I needed some Anderson Power Poles and a few spare coax connectors.  I did the WHOLE Hamfest in 58 min. I then drove 1 hour back home.  $10 at the door, and won nothing to boot.

So, I won't be back (lets not get me started about the lack of response to my calls, emails and voice messages trying to purchase booth space at the event this year).

To justify my 'trip' I bought 10 power poles, and 5 or 6 coax ends.  Think I was in for about $50 that wouldn't fill a sandwich baggie.

Drove home dejected, knowing I shouldn't have gone up in the first place.  Not to mention the funds I'd saved by spending a few min on ebay and waiting 5 days on the mailman.

Not being a downer, but my 'local' hamfest scene is a complete waste of energy.  Hamvention has been cool, but I'm stuck in the booth for 2 or 3 days, so my view is a little different from those out walking around enjoying the scenes.

So, if you're looking to buy a nice piece of gear, and plan to get it there...consider the associated cost (trip, food, gate) and you'll prolly do better to order before you leave that morning.

Not trying to be a downer, but the whole hamfest thing is swirling the bowl and I'm not sure it can be resurrected (at least locally)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top