Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 12:59:21 AM EDT
Took me a little bit to get the digital interface and software configured correctly in the hopes of making some 6m contacts this weekend with the VHF contest going on. I could RX but not TX. And finally got time synced with a GPS receiver.

Once I got it figured out (I think), the band was dead. Will try again tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, I tuned down to some HF bands (RX only on my 6m antenna).

40 meters. Wow. I think this mode has taken off. The entire bandwidth at 7.074 was wall to wall with signals. The decodes were practically filling the display box every 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup. JT65 killed all the other digital modes and created a new generation of award chasers. FT8 will kill JT65, might have done so already. It perfectly timed it's entrance near the bottom of the current sunspot cycle. It provides the automation that JT65 should have had from day 1 and that Joe swore up and down he would never do.

The only thing that would make it better is if it also automatically logged the contact. Can't believe it doesn't, that feature is SO obvious.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#2]
JTAlertX automatically logs the contact.

I had a pause in operating in June/July and can't believe how much JT65 activity went away.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Sure has killed the JT65 & JT9 signals lately. 17m is open to Europe at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone needs to step in and automate this thing so it can make contacts by itself, while I sleep. Next thing you know I'd be a world champion with awards covering all of the walls in the house!
How about a computer software that does automatic QSOs on SSB Voice? "Hello, this is W1ABC's computer speaking. Your signal report is - five by nine, my name is Data, my owners name is  - Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob..................................."Ding dong" ....... Please wait while I install Windows updates.... 59 minutes remaining..... Please wait. This QSO is very important to us!"

Will you guys buy such an automatic software "plug in"? We won't tell the FCC about it!
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure has killed the JT65 & JT9 signals lately. 17m is open to Europe at the moment.
View Quote
Thanks for the 17M heads up.  Worked a bunch and I'm pretty sure another flare just hit cause HF just went dead.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for the 17M heads up.  Worked a bunch and I'm pretty sure another flare just hit cause HF just went dead.
View Quote
It did, just checked the NOAA solar dashboard. I woke up and checked the radio and thought squirrels had chewed through
the coax overnight.

Not even WWV is making it through to me, which is why I thought I'd lost the antenna.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

JTAlertX automatically logs the contact.
View Quote
@illini52 (or anyone else): please tell me how to get JTAlertX to do this! I am running WSJT-X v1.8.0-rc2, JTAlertX 2.10.1, I have it all hooked up to log in DXKeeper.

I can have a fully auto-sequenced FT8 exchange, but then it just sits there. I have to push the "Log QSO" button in WSJT-X, then OK the pop-up window, at which time JTAlertX will make the entry into my DXKeeper logbook. But not automatically!

How do you get this to happen automatically, say on sending or receiving a "73" message?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@illini52 (or anyone else): please tell me how to get JTAlertX to do this! I am running WSJT-X v1.8.0-rc2, JTAlertX 2.10.1, I have it all hooked up to log in DXKeeper.

I can have a fully auto-sequenced FT8 exchange, but then it just sits there. I have to push the "Log QSO" button in WSJT-X, then OK the pop-up window, at which time JTAlertX will make the entry into my DXKeeper logbook. But not automatically!

How do you get this to happen automatically, say on sending or receiving a "73" message?
View Quote
If you have alert and DX keeper talking to each other OK, try going into WSJTX  file-> settings->reporting->turn on 'prompt me to log QSO'
See if that works.  I'm running the exact same setup and have been for a few years so can't remember exactly what I did.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
With that setting it happily prompts me, but I still have to push all the same buttons.

Afaik right now there is no way to automatically log at the end of a sequence.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I realized after I made some QSOs that it was pretty much the same thing you've been doing.   I guess it's automatic enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Well the VHF bands, at least where I am, were dead as a doorknob today. Made one 2m SSB contact and zero 6m SSB today

I did manage to squeak out three FT8 contacts on 6m.

I think 6m FT8 would be substantially improved if folks would use lower gain or omni antennas instead of big beams. I really struggled to work one guy, probably returned his CQ at least 15 times before he finally heard me and replied. His signal went up 26dB during the course of the QSO as he swung his beam around. I heard several stations that I was unable to work, and I suspect this is the reason.

I can see where this mode would be somewhat addictive on HF. I guess I finally need to get an HF antenna up.

In a silly exercise last night, I went to some Web SDR page and tuned in the FT8 frequency, and piped the system audio to the input of WSJT, and was amused to see all the traffic. Kinda neat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Which software is everyome using for this?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The only software that supports FT8 are the beta release candidate versions of WSJT-X:

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only software that supports FT8 are the beta release candidate versions of WSJT-X:

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html
View Quote
Ah, I'm just using the normal one for JT65, time to upgrade I guess.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah I thought something was wrong when I went to test the new PC at the remote QTH and started wsjtx and...nothing.

What the...?

Switched to FT8 and Oh THERE they are!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I forgot and left wsjt-x running over the past week.

17M

MonitorReports over 24 hoursReports over 7 days
W4K**211410819

20m

MonitorReports over 24 hoursReports over 7 days
W4K**451022316
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only thing that would make it better is if it also automatically logged the contact. Can't believe it doesn't, that feature is SO obvious.
View Quote
Mine actually does log it automatically. I use WSJT-X, Aether for logging, JT-Bridge. They all work hand in hand and when the FT8 QSO is done it automatically logs it into Aether. Aether is a Mac paid logging app.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know about a OSX Jt alert?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since my son and I tried FT8, we haven't even switched it over to JT65.  What I like is that FT-8 is only a 15 second cycle.  As a friend of mine says, its like have a phone QSO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#20]
There is still some JT65 traffic. Usually on 40 or 30. Now JT9 on the other hand is dead. For DX I was having better luck with JT9 and have pretty much switched over to totally FT8. Make sure you are using the RC2 version for the multi pass decode. I upgraded and am seeing twice the decodes and have seen a few at -24.

At this point I am going to put up my 6m Halo again. Gain is great but having an omni with FT8 may be just the trick.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Make sure you are using the RC2 version for the multi pass decode. I upgraded and am seeing twice the decodes and have seen a few at -24.
View Quote
Thanks, I upgraded to the RC2 version just now. Wow, I had to add another callsign column to JTAlertX, 2 wasn't enough.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I discovered FT-8 quite by accident. Turned on the gear for the first time in a long time this week....the spotting function on my JT alert wasn't working and it said I needed to upgrade to the latest rev....so I did.  Then I thought, been a while since I updated my WSJT-X software, so I grabbed 1.8 and installed that too. Noticed the new mode in the menu and tried it....damn it moves fast. Also noticed on my spotter that the vast majority of traffic was now FT-8....very little on the other modes. Guess everyone is enjoying the shiny new toy. I've seen K1JT on the past few days on FT-8.....and I'm seeing lots of traffic from all kinds of places. Crazy how far digital has come. 
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#23]
After all the trouble I had getting time sync to work from the GPS receiver, I found it's pretty easy to just set the clock by listening to WWV and I'm usually within like .3 seconds.

When I was listening via a web SDR, I just time synced by listening to the FT8 traffic and got under .5 seconds pretty easily.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Been working FT8 now for about 2 weeks....primarily because JT-9 and JT65 are DEAD!!!
Guess everyone decided they had the need for speed...very few folks on the traditional JT modes now. Pretty much all the action is on FT8. I guess its ok, and I like the automation of the QSO...but it moves too fast for my likes. I feel like I need to keep up with it. Still, its nice to be able to grab 4x the contacts over the same time constant. Really with the bands were more open...really not seeing much in terms of traffic from my QTH....very little ME and Asia...occasional Antarctica and lots of the Americas and Europe....but not many 'exotic' callsigns 
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
...but it moves too fast for my likes.
View Quote
I feel the same way.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

So this happened today... thank you West Virginia!

Still need Arkansas and North Dakota for all-FT8 WAS.

I really wish ARRL contest entries would be scanned for LOTW matches, I have tons of VHF contest contacts that are not confirmed.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58237/Your_Logbook_WAS_Award_Acco-357842.JPG

So this happened today... thank you West Virginia!

Still need Arkansas and North Dakota for all-FT8 WAS.

I really wish ARRL contest entries would be scanned for LOTW matches, I have tons of VHF contest contacts that are not confirmed.
View Quote
I went to the arrl awards pages and could not figure out what is needed for awards. For example I have 100 SSB confirmed countries MIXED. Is there sn award for that? or is it only each band?

ETA: This made me look again and I answered my own question. There is a mixed award and I do have over 100 confirmed LOTW QSLs. I need to apply for it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#28]
For 2018 there will be an ARRL FT8 contest.... well they call it the "Grid Chase" but I think it's obvious what the origin of it is:

http://www.arrl.org/international-grid-chase-2018
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
So I have been working FT8 just about exclusively for about a month...about 500 QSO's give or take...I have totally taken for granted already how fast this is. Propagation hasn't been great, so i have been working some JT-65 for a little enhanced weak-signal capability......daaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnn is that slow by comparison. I cant believe how many hours I've say here at this keyboard watching time tick away trying to make contacts with the older JT modes. Funny...JT-65 was like space age technology to me when I first learned of it...and now FT8 is my measuring stick for how long a digital QSO should take. I really look forward to a mode that can some day work as fast as FT8 but pull signals out from -30dB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top