Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 10:29:50 AM EDT
I've been looking around for anything in zone 4 but nothing listed that's I've found has any traffic.

Honestly I'd love to find something near st Thomas as I have several co-workers from there who have no updates from family.

So if you've found an active echo link related to Hurricane Irma please post it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for interest.

An arfcommer has set up a Zello channel, provides nextel-type PTT functionality, details on page arf Irma thread

@danpass, are you bugging out, and are you taking radio gear?  Stay safe and don't hesitate to ask for help.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm bugging in. Grandma had a partial hip replacement this past Saturday
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm bugging in. Grandma had a partial hip replacement this past Saturday
View Quote
Good luck. Is she in the hospital?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
They just showed some of the aftermath.
There doesn't look like there's much left as far as infrastructure.
Praying for all those effected.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good luck. Is she in the hospital?
View Quote
Yes, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The VOIP Hurricane Net is on the WASH_DC Conference and is going on right now.  We're listening to weather reports out of Florida.  BTW, its listen only.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tagged for interest.

An arfcommer has set up a Zello channel, provides nextel-type PTT functionality, details on page arf Irma thread
View Quote
 Only caveat is the bar room language, may not want to have the volume up around the wife & kids.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 Only caveat is the bar room language, may not want to have the volume up around the wife & kids.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tagged for interest.

True dat. It degenerated into unmoderated verbal GD, then they put mods in place and threw out some people.

Interesting sociological experiment. Basically there is always "that guy"
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The Georgia conference had a good bit of chatter yesterday. Some folks leavening south ga or Fl cordanting a meeting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#10]
For Echolink to work you need phone and internet servers to work.  If they work you can just call them, or they can
call you.

If they don't have phone/internet, then Echolink is not much good, is it?

That's just the reality of it.

Echolink is useless in these types of emergencies, where infrastructure comms (phone and internet) is down.  Echolink
only works when you don't really really need it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For Echolink to work you need phone and internet servers to work.  If they work you can just call them, or they can
call you.

If they don't have phone/internet, then Echolink is not much good, is it?

That's just the reality of it.

Echolink is useless in these types of emergencies, where infrastructure comms (phone and internet) is down.  Echolink
only works when you don't really really need it.
View Quote
Liked
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Echolink  only works when you don't really really need it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Somewhat interesting discussion on going at the Zed about the usefulness - or lack there of - of amateur radio in an emergency. As usual with the Zed these days, it get's pretty contentious, but some of the comments were worthy of a little thought.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/almost-embarrassed-to-be-a-amateur-radio-operator.581066/

Hope all of you in the affected area stay safe and that the situation causes you minimal grief...   Jim
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I did actually hear a few guys passing traffic out of irma on  monday over HF after the bands recovered. Making phone calls for guys in the affected area etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top