Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
21.260 ZD7DL St. Helena Island
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
AP2AM Pakistan on FT8 21.074 MHz at 16:15 UTC  04/18/21
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Finally got Morocco last night, for the first time at 23:09z. Huge pile-up. I finally got through and then he took maybe 2 more calls then went QRT for the night.

CN97SG on 14.183

He's been active a lot lately. CN97SG is a special call for World Amateur Radio Day; he's running that through 4/20. His regular call is CN8SG. Hassan.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I kept trying for Austral Islands as they have an event.  Zx5n iirc off the top of my head is on 40m today and was on 15m last night.  I couldn’tget picked up last night or this morning.  Missed the grey line here by about 20minutes.

7.092/7.145
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
I kept trying for Austral Islands as they have an event.  Zx5n iirc off the top of my head is on 40m today and was on 15m last night.  I couldn’tget picked up last night or this morning.  Missed the grey line here by about 20minutes.

7.092/7.145
View Quote

I need to get them, too. I noticed them listed after I had powered down and disconnected everything for the night.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

I need to get them, too. I noticed them listed after I had powered down and disconnected everything for the night.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

7.092/7.145

lol, I don’t know how many times I have shut down the station and gone upstairs then later look at the dx spotters or the POTA spots on my Ipad and see a station I want to contact and run back downstairs and try the QSO.

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]

lol, I don’t know how many times I have shut down the station and gone upstairs then later look at the dx spotters or the POTA spots on my Ipad and see a station I want to contact and run back downstairs and try the QSO.

View Quote

Every time I do that, I get the station all fired up and then can't hear sh*t.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
14.308 A71KK Qatar
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
some kind of pileup on 14.295 since yesterday
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
There is some kind of contest going on, not sure what it is. There are a couple of places that are just walls of RF from the huge pile ups. I don't bother, I have zero chance on those.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:56:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#11]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
There is some kind of contest going on, not sure what it is. There are a couple of places that are just walls of RF from the huge pile ups. I don't bother, I have zero chance on those.
View Quote

You just have to see if the guy the pile-up is working has a pattern, and learn when to speak, to take best advantage of it. I am not going to muscle my way in with 100w either, so I listen for what the guy does. Does he take the first person who responds to his "QRZ?" or does he wait a few beats and take the 3rd or 4th? Find the open space and say your call then.

Also, I hear lots of stations being piled on stop to take QRP calls. Be sure you say "QRP" and I bet you will get takers. 20w qualifies, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]

You just have to see if the guy the pile-up is working has a pattern, and learn when to speak, to take best advantage of it. I am not going to muscle my way in with 100w either, so I listen for what the guy does. Does he take the first person who responds to his "QRZ?" or does he wait a few beats and take the 3rd or 4th? Find the open space and say your call then.

Also, I hear lots of stations being piled on stop to take QRP calls. Be sure you say "QRP" and I bet you will get takers. 20w qualifies, doesn't it?
View Quote

Some folks say 20w is qrp, and others insist it is 5w or less. Most "standard" HF radios are 100w, unless they are made for mobile or portable use like the 705, 891, x5105, etc.
20w is certainly low power, but it is a lot of fun. People are friendly, and seem very interested in how good my set up sounds and gets out. I talked to a guy in BC Canada one night, and eventually dropped my power down to 1 watt, and we still talked. He made the point that propagation and antenna quality are more important than how much power you are pushing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
28.472 FY5KE French Guiana  59+10 here in MA.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
some kind of pileup on 14.295 since yesterday
View Quote

Pitcairn Island was on 20m a couple of days ago.  I listened to her last QSO before she signed off so didn't make a contact.  Pile up still continued for another 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

Pitcairn Island was on 20m a couple of days ago.  I listened to her last QSO before she signed off so didn't make a contact.  Pile up still continued for another 10 minutes.
View Quote

She was spotted on 15M recently too, but I was at work.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:26:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

View Quote

I worked VR6BX in 1993.  I guess that counts ;)
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:25:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#17]
VP6R in 2019
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Indonesia station on 14.247
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Pro Tip:  After you finish your QSO with a station working split, be sure to turn off the split function on your radio, or you may have difficulty getting anyone to come back to your call.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#20]
18143.0   S01WS   Western Sahara
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:29:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#21]
HZ1SK is on 28.074 FT8 Saudi Arabia 20:29Z 04/24/2022

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#22]
FY5KE French Guiana on 24.980
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:47:48 AM EDT
[#23]
20m blowing up, got 2 Europe stations.

Aus stations doing ANZAC special event call signs
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I shot an email to a Belgian guy who is doing the QLS cards for the Bornholm Island expedition, asking him how many green stamps would be needed to cover his postage costs.

He replied (in part):

"Hi there and thanks for the qso we had . Please do not send green stamps as we cannot use them here...
2 us dollars would be ok to cover return postage."
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I shot an email to a Belgian guy who is doing the QLS cards for the Bornholm Island expedition, asking him how many green stamps would be needed to cover his postage costs.

He replied (in part):

"Hi there and thanks for the qso we had . Please do not send green stamps as we cannot use them here...
2 us dollars would be ok to cover return postage."
View Quote

That's interesting. As usual some dope doesn't get the word. Green stamps has been ham for $1 bills since Marconi's day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By piccolo:
That's interesting. As usual some dope doesn't get the word. Green stamps has been ham for $1 bills since Marconi's day.
View Quote

I did a double-take when I first read his message, LOL. Had to share it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:05:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Great night on 20m (again) contacts in North Carolina, Jamaica, Tasmania, and a Denmark station special event operating in Belgium

Also a Japan station
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:56:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#28]
TX5N

Austral Islands DX-pedition

Raivavae
Austral Islands

CW 28.023 up  28.02513

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#29]
PZ5JT ....Dutch army in Suriname during jungle training. 14.290

Crazy stuff. They are running a PRC 150 and I bagged him with the PRC 320!
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#30]
V7/WV7MS in the Marshall Islands on 14.255 MHz.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Picked up my FIRST Australian QSO - VK4KA on 14.274, thanks to a slight assist from M4Maddness.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:49:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Picked up my FIRST Australian QSO - VK4KA on 14.274, thanks to a slight assist from M4Maddness.
View Quote

Congratulations! I have two, and hopefully more when things really pick up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Congratulations! I have two, and hopefully more when things really pick up.
View Quote

Australia on 20w???  Wow!  
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Australia on 20w???  Wow!  
View Quote

I have two New Zealand confirmed as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#35]

I have two New Zealand confirmed as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#36]
PZ5JT Dutch army NOW 21.250

It is s SPLIT and he is listening 10 DOWN on 21.240.

5x9 into PA

WORK FAST!
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#37]
PZ5JT Dutch army NOW 21.250

It is s SPLIT and he is listening 10 DOWN on 21.240.

5x9 into PA

WORK FAST!
View Quote

I still couldn't get him before he went QRT. No sure how long they'll be there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I heard PZ5JT will be there a few more days.

Go to the clusters (DX Summit) and type in PZ5JT and just leave it open in the afternoon. Just check the date and time and when things start moving jump into the fray.

Today they came on at about 1830Z the day before about 1900Z.

My guess is this is either and after duty or 'end the duty day' thing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#39]
TF2MSN Iceland on 18.129mhz.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:53:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#40]
I heard PZ5JT will be there a few more days.

Go to the clusters (DX Summit) and type in PZ5JT and just leave it open in the afternoon. Just check the date and time and when things start moving jump into the fray.

Today they came on at about 1830Z the day before about 1900Z.

My guess is this is either and after duty or 'end the duty day' thing.
View Quote

Just got 'em a few minutes ago on 14.271.

They are going to be there for nine more weeks, it turns out.

Nice fellow. I commented to him that in jungle training you are never dry. He laughed and said it was either rain or sweat. I'm sure the gear they wear these days is superior to anything I've seen.

EDIT: preparing a QSL card and envelopes and their QRZ page says:

"A special QSL-card is available for all stations that made a contact with us.

Send your card direct (without anything extra) with return adress to:"

Do you think that is their way of saying no green stamps required?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Nice fellow. I commented to him that in jungle training you are never dry. He laughed and said it was either rain or sweat. I'm sure the gear they wear these days is superior to anything I've seen.

View Quote

According to that, just send your card.

I think the Dutch army is footing the bill. This is an oddity. I have a feeling the Dutch Army is trying something for some reason.

Don't send your card out just now. Wait until you have worked them on 15 meters also.

One thing, I sent a QSL card, SASE and a couple of green stamps for a Dutch QSO once. He sent me his card AND returned my money! I understand they like Americans and have long memories.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#42]

I think the Dutch army is footing the bill. This is an oddity. I have a feeling the Dutch Army is trying something for some reason.

Don't send your card out just now. Wait until you have worked them on 15 meters also.

One thing, I sent a QSL card, SASE and a couple of green stamps for a Dutch QSO once. He sent me his card AND returned my money! I understand they like Americans and have long memories.
View Quote

Ok, that's what it seems like to me, too.

I don't know if I can stand to wait until I get them on another band.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I am guessing like deployed US service members in certain zones, the postage is waived if in their mailbag.  Of course I am guessing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:52:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#44]

I am guessing like deployed US service members in certain zones, the postage is waived if in their mailbag.  Of course I am guessing.
View Quote

Unless I am mistaken the USGI franking privilige is only good for mail sent Stateside and not to foreign countries.

Foreign stuff has to go through the international post office.

ETA a Dutch international stamp is 1.5 Euros or about $1.59. Looks like they're going to be spending a lot judgeing from the number of QSOs they are making.

This just HAS to be a research project of some sort.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Unless I am mistaken the USGI franking privilige is only good for mail sent Stateside and not to foreign countries.

Foreign stuff has to go through the international post office.

ETA a Dutch international stamp is 1.5 Euros or about $1.59. Looks like they're going to be spending a lot judgeing from the number of QSOs they are making.

This just HAS to be a research project of some sort.
View Quote

I don't know about these days but it didn't use to be that way, at least not for US Protectorates.  I sent a lot of QSL's to the Panama Canal Zone, Guam, Gitmo, Marshall Islands, etc. back in the 70's and 80's and they all went first class for the cost of a regular first class stamp.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

I don't know about these days but it didn't use to be that way, at least not for US Protectorates.  I sent a lot of QSL's to the Panama Canal Zone, Guam, Gitmo, Marshall Islands, etc. back in the 70's and 80's and they all went first class for the cost of a regular first class stamp.
View Quote

Correct. I misused the term Stateside.

A GI overseas could send letters to not only the States but to any posession or protectorate also.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Kuwait on 14.258
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#48]
14.307 OY1R Faroe Islands. Listening 5-10 up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#49]

IK4GRO

ITALY
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#50]
14.302 4X74HU Israeli 74th Independence Celebration
Page / 59
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 35 of 59)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top