Planemaker
OTAR
TED
BENTON (Quiet Little Person)
BIGDADDY (reads like a boss)
MIKE
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]
My local node dropped out on me tonight right around 7PST. The admin had another net running and my two other go-to nodes are down tonight. Good talking to everyone.

My setup I'm thinking of for condo/foot-mobile.

857D
Alexloop + small tripod
(a small tuner)
Android tablet for digital modes
Portablezero battery pack/rack plus a bunch of powerpole additional battery options.

This seems like a pretty general setup that gives me a lot of options. I like the fact the 857d still gives me some oomph for vhf/uhf with a roll-up jpole if I want it that while out.

Here's the short 300blk setup I mentioned
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, I did hear back from DM99. The holster I was Jonesing for is this one:

Tucker Gun Leather HF1 belt holster

Do want.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It's the first Friday I have been available.

What time is the net?

ETA: duh. First post. 1730 PST, so that is about 2030 EST plus or minus
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Its getting close. Half hour to go.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:20:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Called my Buddy AJ... "they're talking about guns and radios!!! get on! get on!"

glad someone linked the local machine i happened to be listening to.... and glad i had echolink installed for when they dropped the repeater link.... bastards.... ;)

73's

N1NJI
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Called my Buddy AJ... "they're talking about guns and radios!!! get on! get on!"

glad someone linked the local machine i happened to be listening to.... and glad i had echolink installed for when they dropped the repeater link.... bastards....

73's

N1NJI
View Quote

First post and a join of 2012. Wow!
Thanks for dropping by the net tonight and your welcome anytime. ArF ham is best ham.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

glad someone linked the local machine i happened to be listening to.... and glad i had echolink installed for when they dropped the repeater link.... bastards....

73's

N1NJI
View Quote

I was going to check in till the link dropped from dartmouth. Switched to echolink on the phone but i was too tired. I'll catch it next week for sure.

KC1GKS
AJ
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was going to check in till the link dropped from dartmouth. Switched to echolink on the phone but i was too tired. I'll catch it next week for sure.

KC1GKS
AJ
View Quote

Sorry about that. I linked W1AEC and was on it for an hour so I disconnected it and joined with echolink on another repeater. I didn't know anybody else was using it.

I didn't want to hog the repeater all night, it's the main ARES repeater for SE MA and has a yuge coverage.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

73's

N1NJI
View Quote

What repeater were you using. Were you on W1AEC in Dartmouth? I guess you both were. Sorry about that. Next time I will know better.

If so that would make 3 of us on that repeater. I disconnected it after an hour and joined with the echolinked repeater in Barnstable.

In the future does anybody know how to tell if other people are using the same repeater so I don't disconnect it on them?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What repeater were you using. Were you on W1AEC in Dartmouth? I guess you both were. Sorry about that. Next time I will know better.

If so that would make 3 of us on that repeater. I disconnected it after an hour and joined with the echolinked repeater in Barnstable.

In the future does anybody know how to tell if other people are using the same repeater so I don't disconnect it on them?
View Quote

Typically ID and wait.
If the repeater immediately IDs, obviously nobody has been on it.

Some irlp nodes will respond with current info when you key "70". If nobody responds, id, key "73" just to be sure, then ID and key the node in.

One of the two nodes I use ( one of the AZ ones you and I were testing about a month ago) goes into some sort of power saving connection drop after 90 mins of continuous activity. Kind of annoying, but I understand the owner wanting to keep power costs down.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sorry about that. I linked W1AEC and was on it for an hour so I disconnected it and joined with echolink on another repeater. I didn't know anybody else was using it.

I didn't want to hog the repeater all night, it's the main ARES repeater for SE MA and has a yuge coverage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KC1GKS
AJ

no worries at all!! I was late to the party! I totally understand about not wanting to hog the repeater.
ill be making another attempt this friday night. ill try to jump on it from the start if i can..
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#16]
bump
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

yup, i practically live under the W1AEC (1 mile away) i had checked in to the weather net and left the radio idle while putting my twin boys to bed upstairs.... and my daughter starts yelling at me (4 y.o. in April) "Daddy! your radio is talking!!" so otherwise i never would have known this net existed!

there's hardly ANY traffic on this machine other than the weather net....
all the septuagenarians go to bed early ;)

i might need to look into how to connect the machine to the net..... then i can use the HT and chase the kids around, heh heh

ETA: i'm a SEMARA member but IRLP/Echolink were just toys the last time i spent a large amount of time on the mic (getting back to the hobby after life got in the way for a while)
so, maybe i'll investigate bringing the thing up and down... also, i found this on the club's website:  "Please note that after 20 minutes of local inactivity, the connection will timeout and any active link will be automatically disconnected."

so it must've been 20 minutes between QSOs on the machine that did it...
if we can strategically place MakeBang and I on the list, we can probably keep the link up.... if Mach jumps in, so much the better :)
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:40:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks to all you guys for checking in. We had 18 check-in's tonight. Good net.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#19]
First net of the new year tonight.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I put a link in our AZ HTF to try to get a few extra members to check in, or at least get a few people listening to a node I'll connect for the net. Hopefully that brings a couple more people to the party.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_13/609199_ARFCOM-weekly-radio-net--Friday---1830--AZ-radio-guys-or-dudes-with-baofeng-scanners--step-on-in-.html
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#21]
well the Bronchitis is mostly gone and i have my voice back....
i've gone shooting with the flu before, but it's tough to play radio with no voice.

so i started playing with APRS, just "listening" for now, HTX-202 into my PC soundcard... but i have a Kantronics TNC on the way from fleabay.

also picked up a Baofeng UV-5R, $26 for a damned dual band HT? that's almost disposable.....
it's AWESOME that the radio picks up local PD/FD freqs.... it SUCKS that the PD moved to digital in '12. Maybe if they bump the price up to $30 they can throw in digital decode.
ordered a couple of speaker mics, one will be sacrificed on the APRS altar, also picked up a battery eliminator for it.
the 202 will live in the basement with the TNC for now and i'll have the 5R as a walk-around HT, see how that works out.... maybe use it with APRSDroid for mobile stuff....

if i'm not on tonight either the kids are being jerks or i got my new HF rig in the mail and am playing with that ;)

N1NJI
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to try and get on tonight. Tried the past 2 weeks and while I can hear just fine seems like I am not transmitting. Echo test works fine. Using my cell phone.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#23]
88 days in AZ.

It's 5:45 PM,
Batteries fully charged,
Camp fire going,
Camper door open for fresh air,
Brats cooking.

What more can I ask for?

THE NET TO START!

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Scooter
TX Smiley in TX
John in Vegas
Ted in AZ
OTAR in Omaha
Big Daddy in Indy
Quiet Little Person in OR
Glen in the Cape
Zombie (Trip) in VA
Hotel Californa in Henderson NV
Shawn in WA
John in AZ
Robert in Land of Oz
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Scooter
TX Smiley in TX
John in Vegas
Ted in AZ
OTAR in Omaha
Big Daddy in Indy
Glen in the Cape
Zombie (Trip) in VA
Shawn in WA
John in AZ
Robert in Land of Oz
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Jeff here in Phoenix on 447.5750.  Shut wires off so hope second round will be better.  On yeasu ft-8900R
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Scooter
TX Smiley in TX
John in Vegas
Ted in AZ
OTAR in Omaha
Big Daddy in Indy
Glen in the Cape
Zombie (Trip) in VA
Shawn in WA
John in AZ
Robert in Land of Oz
View Quote

Somebody's call sign has me listening to the eagles.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Somebody's call sign has me listening to the eagles.
View Quote

Already had a couple compliments on the HF bands and got the attention of some CQ stations.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#30]
In for tonight
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Net is on the air..
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#33]
bumping

lets go!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Bumper for tonight's net..... Bumper? Was that my spell check, or I'm I having a mini stroke?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Replaced my mag mount, so I should be good for tonight!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll be there in an hour.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#37]
9.5 hour warning fellas. 
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm sitting here with worms on my tongue.  

Ba[i]ted breath.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Ready!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Ready!
Net starts in just over 2 hours.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#41]
What is usually the primary source of noise that is heard from an HF receiver with an antenna connected?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Bigdaddy must have fallen asleep, mic in hand again tonight.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Bigdaddy must have fallen asleep, mic in hand again tonight.
View Quote
LOL, not this time, but last week guilty as charged!  
On the phone fighting with Amazon over missing order tonight!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Its Friday
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm connected, but I'm not seeing anyone else.

ETA:  Well, isn't that special!  I tried a different proxy and now I see a bunch of people, but don't hear anything.

ETA2: I had to unplug the FTM-100D programming cable and restart Echostink.  Now I can hear purple.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

ETA2: I had to unplug the FTM-100D programming cable and restart Echostink.  Now I can hear purple.
View Quote

Thats a bad sign John.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What is usually the primary source of noise that is heard from an HF receiver with an antenna connected?
View Quote

my kids......
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

my kids......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my kids......

So much truth.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thats a bad sign John.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a bad sign John.

...or a good sign if you're into acid.

'QLP
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Bump for tonight's net. 
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top