Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 16 of 16)
Page / 16
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mark75H:
Is this radio certified for use on those services?
View Quote

Some are Part 90 type accepted for LMR. If you're really concerned about type acceptance you're probably not buying baothings.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Ran a short informal net this evening with various people down in the valley below me.  I started the net with my Kenwood TM-271A (65 watts) and then once the other people responded and we got the net going, I transferred to the Baofeng UV-B5 I have.  It has a a Nagoya NA-771 whip antenna vs. the OEM antenna.  Both worked equally well.

Everyone else was using Baofeng UV-5R radios except two people who had both the 5R and Yaesu FT-60R radios.  All sounded good.

All of the Baofeng radios and both Yaesu's were previously programmed by me using the CHIRP software.  The Baofengs were dead dumb simple; the Yaesus not so much.  I had to find some online tutorials on how to download and upload to the radios.  It was the opposite of dead dumb simple.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Ran a short informal net this evening with various people down in the valley below me.  I started the net with my Kenwood TM-271A (65 watts) and then once the other people responded and we got the net going, I transferred to the Baofeng UV-B5 I have.  It has a a Nagoya NA-771 whip antenna vs. the OEM antenna.  Both worked equally well.

Everyone else was using Baofeng UV-5R radios except two people who had both the 5R and Yaesu FT-60R radios.  All sounded good.

All of the Baofeng radios and both Yaesu's were previously programmed by me using the CHIRP software.  The Baofengs were dead dumb simple; the Yaesus not so much.  I had to find some online tutorials on how to download and upload to the radios.  It was the opposite of dead dumb simple.  
View Quote
Unpossible. Baofengs are shit radios.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: radioshooter] [#5]
Subcommic?

Another Baofeng hater and probable MotoSkull. Do you guys still promote the communication propaganda that you can buy a used Motorola HT off the web for $125.00 and use it?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
How can a thread about a radio with over 100 memory slots ans a data interface go without at least a cursory mention of CHIRP, over on danplanet.com?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
Subcommic?

Another Baofeng hater and probable MotoSkull. Do you guys still promote the communication propaganda that you can buy a used Motorola HT off the web for $125.00 and use it?
View Quote

'Twas sarcasm. I don't own any Motorola products. But I do own two UV-5rs. The hams continuously call it a shit radio. It is fine for what it is and offers more options and flexibility than blister pack GMRS/FRS handhelds do.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#8]
This may help some here:

An EASY Guide to Radios for Preppers

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
i am a ham and I've got several including a not so CCR (anytone). I'm just throwing shade at the LMR heads that for a little more money, you can put a used cop radio on the air that's spectral pure, etc, etc. All the used COP radios that I have purchased have cost more than 8 Baofengs to get on the air.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:
How can a thread about a radio with over 100 memory slots ans a data interface go without at least a cursory mention of CHIRP, over on danplanet.com?
View Quote
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

If you use CHIRP to program your radios - ALWAYS update the CHIRP software before you do any programming, especially if you're using an older program file.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#11]
My Nagoya NA-771 has developed a wiggle between the base and the antenna.  It moves slightly up and down and slightly spins. At this point, it still seems to have continuity because I can hear a weak-signal NOAA weather station when I wiggle the antenna.

I'd like to secure this before it really does break.  Has anyone dealt with this?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
My Nagoya NA-771 has developed a wiggle between the base and the antenna.  It moves slightly up and down and slightly spins. At this point, it still seems to have continuity because I can hear a weak-signal NOAA weather station when I wiggle the antenna.

I'd like to secure this before it really does break.  Has anyone dealt with this?
View Quote

Mine came with a small plastic washer that I didn't need. If yours did as well, perhaps it will take up the slop while maintaining continuity.

I am a relatively new ticket with pretty much no experience.  I bought a few of the baofeng radios along with several friends. Some will take the test, some won't. All grown men, isn't my business.

I used CHIRP and programmed all of the radios. It was pretty easy after I downloaded what I wanted from repeaterbook. I also hung a N9TAX antenna from a tree in front of the house.

I live up on a hill and today was able to hit the repeater 16mi away (road travel, probably 11-12 as crow flies). One of my friends parked closer to the repeater responded that he heard me just fine.

I'm sure someone will come along and tell me I'm full of it, but it happened. I've also reached another arfcommer (regular poster here) in another county by using that same repeater.

People can shit on these radios all they want, the signal can't be stopped. The Little chinesium radios are the gateway drug of alternate communication.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:48:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alembic] [#13]

People can shit on these radios all they want, the signal can't be stopped. The Little chinesium radios are the gateway drug of alternate communication.
View Quote

I don't think you realize it, but you've seen your future.

The pos bofunk years ago has now cost me thousands.

The irony is they always seem to sound fantastic on the repeaters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I have regularly used a BF as far as 22 miles from a repeater to participate in a morning roundtable net.  Compared to $400 Japanese radios, I had to find the sweet spot to stand relative to the 2m frequency and keep the antenna polarity 100% aligned.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mark75H:
I have regularly used a BF as far as 22 miles from a repeater to participate in a morning roundtable net.  Compared to $400 Japanese radios, I had to find the sweet spot to stand relative to the 2m frequency and keep the antenna polarity 100% aligned.
View Quote

Heretic! Burn the witch!
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had my UV-5R since March 14, 2013 and not once have I wished I'd spent more and got a better handheld. It's done everything I would have done with one costing several times more.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By David0858:
I've had my UV-5R since March 14, 2013 and not once have I wished I'd spent more and got a better handheld. It's done everything I would have done with one costing several times more.
View Quote

So it sits in a drawer waiting to be charged?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#18]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Pretty much, which is the same as one costing $400 would be doing. It gets pulled out and used every once and a while. It works fine and hits the repeater from here (10+ miles).
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:31:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#19]

Pretty much, which is the same as one costing $400 would be doing. It gets pulled out and used every once and a while. It works fine and hits the repeater from here (10+ miles).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Actually, it's a pretty good point.  The batteries require cycling to reach full potential.  Fortunately, it's pretty easy: simply turn the radio on and leave it on until the battery dies, recharge it, rinse repeat 3-4 times.  You can listen to any interesting channels while doing it.
Page / 16
Next Page Arrow Left
Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 16 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top