BCM
User Panel

Page / 32
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sburggsx:

You will hear this again....

If you aren't using your equipment and skills on some level during normal times, when SHTF you will be lost. I don't want to sound doomy-gloomy, but most of this stuff is a llittle more complex than bubble pack FRS radios. It's not hard, you just don't remember how to do things you need to do. You'll understand when you get through some of the questions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sburggsx:
Originally Posted By delicious_bass:
I decided to go ahead and give this a try. I just want to be able to use it for when SHTF. I have downloaded the most recent question list and got flash cards made.  I Will also be reading through the literature in the forum.

You will hear this again....

If you aren't using your equipment and skills on some level during normal times, when SHTF you will be lost. I don't want to sound doomy-gloomy, but most of this stuff is a llittle more complex than bubble pack FRS radios. It's not hard, you just don't remember how to do things you need to do. You'll understand when you get through some of the questions.

Very true.  Train as you fight.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My call sign was up yesterday.

1.Highway Maintainer

2. Hour a day

3.3 miles

4. Police Station

5. 20 min Tech

6. 25 days

Yaesu FT-60r added Diamond antenna.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Today I passed both the Tech and General exams.

1. Background - B.A. History and M.A. Religious History with a primary focus in American Colonial Theology. Not exactly an engineer or physicist.

2. How often did I study? Roughly 15 hours total for the two exams.

3. Distance traveled - 15 miles round trip.

4. Exam Site - Bell County Office of Emergency Management

5. Total time to spent at the testing location - 30 minutes.

6. Total time from start to finish for me - about 1 week. I had considered it previously, but didn't get beyond the thought of it.

It is as easy as everyone says it is. hamstudy.org did the trick for me. If I can do it, I am sure most people can do it. I intend to go back in a month or so and grab my Extra ticket.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bdub:
Today I passed both the Tech and General exams.
1. Background - B.A. History and M.A. Religious History with a primary focus in American Colonial Theology. Not exactly an engineer or physicist.
2. How often did I study? Roughly 15 hours total for the two exams.
3. Distance traveled - 15 miles round trip.
4. Exam Site - Bell County Office of Emergency Management
5. Total time to spent at the testing location - 30 minutes.
6. Total time from start to finish for me - about 1 week. I had considered it previously, but didn't get beyond the thought of it.

It is as easy as everyone says it is. hamstudy.org did the trick for me. If I can do it, I am sure most people can do it. I intend to go back in a month or so and grab my Extra ticket.

View Quote

Congrats!

now take my  ...   errrrrr, nicely done!  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in . Thinking of grabbing a digital copy of a tech/general guide off amazon but would a physical copy better?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:55:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bdub] [#6]

Originally Posted By tinythief:

I'm in . Thinking of grabbing a digital copy of a tech/general guide off amazon but would a physical copy better?
View Quote
First, congrats and making the jump. The image of ham masks how awesome and useful it really is as a hobby and tool.

Now, on to your real question. It depends on how you learn.

If you learn by reading, and reading a kindle doesn't bother you, then why wait for shipping?

Personally, I find the material too boring to study that way. The tests are from defined pools, so concept based learning isn't the best prep nor is the most enjoyable to read.

I found hamstudy.org flashcards to do the trick. I memorized a lot of right answers, without ever knowing why they are right, or even caring. But, despite my commitment to passing without learning, I retained a lot of information. And, on those topics where I have actual interest, I read more and dug deeply into them.

Also, don't stop at general. Just shoot the moon and get extra too. I deluded myself into thinking I didn't need to do that and now I have to spend $15 on a test I should have already taken.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
First, congrats and making the jump. The image of ham masks how awesome and useful it really is as a hobby and tool.

If you learn by reading, and reading a kindle doesn't bother you, then why wait for shipping?

Personally, I find the material too boring to study that way. The tests are from defined pools, so concept based learning isn't the best prep nor is the most enjoyable to read.

I found hamstudy.org flashcards to do the trick. I memorized a lot of right answers, without ever knowing why they are right, or even caring. But, despite my commitment to passing without learning, I retained a lot of information. And, on those topics where I have actual interest, I read more and dug deeply into them.

Also, don't stop at general. Just shoot the moon and get extra too. I deluded myself into thinking I didn't need to do that and now I have to spend $15 on a test I should have already taken.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tinythief:

I'll try the flashcards out first. Don't know if I can hit all 3 but whats the fun in not trying
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The bug has hit me.  I'm studying the flashcards at http://HamStudy.org and I hope to pass my Technicians & General exam next month.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Scott_In_OKC:
The bug has hit me.  I'm studying the flashcards at http://HamStudy.org and I hope to pass my Technicians & General exam next month.
View Quote

Excellent!  Best of luck to ya
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Passed Tech and General tonight!  

1. Gas Passer--Anesthetist for those of you too young to see MASH the movie
2. Outlier here, but given what I do, do you want someone who only does the minimum? It's not in my blood. I've studied since Christmas. An hour or so night most nights. Tech at first 100% then towards the end 95% General 5% Tech.  Since New Years, I've never failed an online Tech test.  I missed one question on the General exam tonight.  
3. 15 miles--ish one way
4. The local club has VEs for anyone wanting to test before meeting nights
5. 11minutes for tech.  I didn't time my General exam, it felt much quicker, but that's entirely subjective
6. Amazon brought my books on the 23rd of Dec. I've been studying since then.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Army03CRNA:

Passed Tech and General tonight!  

1. Gas Passer--Anesthetist for those of you too young to see MASH the movie

2. Outlier here, but given what I do, do you want someone who only does the minimum? It's not in my blood. I've studied since Christmas. An hour or so night most nights. Tech at first 100% then towards the end 95% General 5% Tech.  Since New Years, I've never failed an online Tech test.  I missed one question on the General exam tonight.  

3. 15 miles--ish one way

4. The local club has VEs for anyone wanting to test before meeting nights

5. 11minutes for tech.  I didn't time my General exam, it felt much quicker, but that's entirely subjective

6. Amazon brought my books on the 23rd of Dec. I've been studying since then.
View Quote

Outstanding.

What, you couldn't get Extra?

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Like I need another hobby.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:
Like I need another hobby.
View Quote

Yes, yes you do.  
At first it's an interest, then a hobby.  Eventually it becomes a part of your life and even a way of life.
Rather like black powder leading you to a Rendezvous.
Or a handgun leading you to an IDPA practice.
Or an AR leading you to arfcom.

And we'll be here to help.  All the way.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#14]
HNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

passed my tech exam on Sunday.... WHERE"S MAH CALLSIGN ALREADY!?!?!?!

I studied for so long Im ready to play! Got my UV-5R tuned up, I listen to the Bluemont Mtn Repeater Net every night (aprx 50mi away)

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jacobdw:

I studied for so long Im ready to play! Got my UV-5R tuned up, I listen to the Bluemont Mtn Repeater Net every night (aprx 50mi away)

View Quote

Congrats!  Your callsign will show up Soon™, I promise :)
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Beefington:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jacobdw:

due to the fact that critical FCC staff has been temporarily reassigned to work with the FBI on Apple's encryption case, issuance of new amateur radio licenses will be delayed 6-8 weeks at least.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#17]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

Click To View Spoiler

ar-jedi

TERRIBLE!

this quiz?

Technician
1. Background -BS wildlife sci, currently program security rep for .gov contractor
2. How often did I study? everyday for about 20min i guess
3. Distance traveled - 20mi to site
4. Exam Site - Loudon County Sheriff Ofc
5. Total time to spent at the testing location - 1.5 days, class 8-330, and 8-12 then exam at 1
6. Total time from start to finish for me - about 1 month, studied off and on, got real rss the week before class.

on to the general!
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Why didn't I check ARFCOM for a ham radio forum until now?

I haven't done a whole lot of research on HAM but I am an electrical engineer (working on MS) and I read the 'rules' portion of the technician book. My test is tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

The plan is to get a 2m rig to play with on trails:

I'll start my ARFCOM ham research in earnest tomorrow.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jsriolo:
View Quote

good luck.

ps
tell your neighbor to quit parking that heavy-ass deuce-and-a-half on your grass!!!  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I didn't find this thread until 2013 and since then I've got my tech, general and now extra.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Passed tech and general!
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Trifecta! Tech, General, Extra all in one go.

1) B.S in Computer Science / Psychology - Currently a Software Engineer
2) 3 months,  3-4 hours on most weekends
3) Less than 5 miles
4) Library
5) 2 hours total time,  it took 45 minutes for the VE's to get everything setup and walk everyone through the initial paperwork. The actual exams went pretty quickly, 15 min each or so with 5 min to grade.
6) 3 Months

VE's were surprised that I wanted to take the extra and didnt think I could do it, but that only made me fight that much harder to nail it!
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice!  Well done and welcome to the hobby.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:01:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoDoBrown] [#25]
was originally overwhelmed by the concept of a HAM radio until this morning when i realized it wasn't as insane as i thought it to be. I am going to get my ass studying to get a tech license and roll roll with it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#26]
There's a deal on Woot.com for HAM stuff, so I decided to buy a ton of stuff and get my license. Now the reading begins
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By hosphemer:
There's a deal on Woot.com for HAM stuff, so I decided to buy a ton of stuff and get my license. Now the reading begins
View Quote

Start Here  Make sure to listen too!
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Trying to read through the ARRL tech manual, I can only get through about 5 pages before my head is spinning.
I'll get through it eventually though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By smb980:
Trying to read through the ARRL tech manual, I can only get through about 5 pages before my head is spinning.
View Quote

Brother!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Question: did you start with these threads?
Everything You Wanted to Know About Ham Radios

Ham Radio 101

Also the first couple pages of this thread?

I also found the ARRL book overwhelming to begin with.
We are here to support.
A little over 6 years ago I started with ham radio because of this thread.  Last month I made Extra.
I credit this forum with my being able to pass those tests as well with much of what I have learned about ham radio.
And when my wife asks I blame AR-Jedi for all the money spent.
Which in reality has not been all that much.  The recent Kenwood V-71 was the most expensive radio I have bought so far.
And it's going into my wife's car!

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Brother!
View All Quotes

Brother!

Thought I double posted there for a minute
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By GrinningWolf:

Ham Radio 101

We are here to support.
A little over 6 years ago I started with ham radio because of this thread.  Last month I made Extra.
I credit this forum with my being able to pass those tests as well with much of what I have learned about ham radio.
Which in reality has not been all that much.  The recent Kenwood V-71 was the most expensive radio I have bought so far.

View All Quotes

Ham Radio 101

We are here to support.

I briefly went through those threads, I thought I would find a book format easier.
I'm not throwing in the towel yet, just was more in depth than I was expecting.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#33]

I briefly went through those threads, I thought I would find a book format easier.
View Quote

You're welcome.

When you get to practice tests (I prefer hamexam.org) you'll see that a major part of the
tech exam is about the rules for operating.  
So once you have P=IE & E=IR down focus on the T1 & T2 section of the exam.
Question Pool
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Ham Radio 101

We are here to support.

There are a couple ways to skin that cat:
- Learn the material and take the test
- Learn the test and take the test

There are advantages to each approach.  I jumped from Tech to General and Extra on the same day, and I never opened a book for either one.  I downloaded the question pool to a .pdf and deleted all the incorrect answers to all the questions.  I just drilled the questions and the correct answers.  I don't think I got five questions wrong on two tests.  That method may not work for you- it's entirely a personal thing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 6:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1057] [#35]
Anyone in Houston area willing to help a lowlife technician into getting at least his General license?

Been out of the game for a WHILE, so while I'm a licensed technician, I'm all but staring over as a FNG
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:56:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#36]
I'm a long way from Texas, but perhaps this will help.

Online tests are available here: http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/
If your license is current, your call is probably already listed. If it is, register with it as your user name. If not, use any name and when your call is issued, your username will be change to reflect it.

This book is an excellent study guide: http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-General-Class-License-Manual-8th-Edition/
You'll get the question pool and the theory/reason behind each question. There's also a book that lists just the questions if you want to take just the memorization route.
You'll find a lot of what you learned for your Tech will apply to the General test.

BTW, I spent a lot of time in the Port Arthur/Beaumont are back in the early '80s. Great people, great food, and yes, I've drunk my share of Lone Stars.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:41:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pmodas] [#37]
Today I passed both the Tech and General exams. I took the extra Exam as well but failed by a few questions and there wasn't enough time left to retake it which was a bummer. Not complaining too much though as the VEC folks gave the exam for free at a local hamfest.
1. Background - BS in Civil engineering. Mostly work with the construction of water/wastewater lines and their respective plants.
2. How often did I study? First I read the Ham Radio 101 thread. For tech, I took a practice test before I even started studying and passed it by a few questions. After that, I read through the no nonsense tech study guide and was then only missing a question or two on the practice tests. For general I went through all of the hamstudy.org flash cards. I also read through Section 97. If the question was something I didn't know, I clicked on the info tab and followed whatever links were there for more info. I wanted to actually learn the material. I started studying for extra this past Thursday and was scoring 75-80% on the practice tests by the time I stopped studying last night. Wasn't super confident I would pass it.
3. Distance traveled - 50 miles round trip.
4. Exam Site - Cooley Elementary School
5. Total time to spent at the testing location - 3 hours. Arrived a half hour early. I finished everything quickly (within an hour) but they held off on grading my Extra test for a while so that's why I ran out of time to take it again.
6. Total time from start to finish for me - about 2 weeks. I had considered it previously, but never actually did it. My neighbor behind me actually got me pointed in the right direction. He's had his Extra class for decades and has quite the impressive set up.

The local chapter of the Red Cross has tests often it seems, so I plan on going for Extra here soon.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By pmodas:
Today I passed both the Tech and General exams. I took the extra Exam as well but failed by a few questions and there wasn't enough time left to retake it which was a bummer. Not complaining too much though as the VEC folks gave the exam for free at a local hamfest.
1. Background - BS in Civil engineering. Mostly work with the construction of water/wastewater lines and their respective plants.
2. How often did I study? First I read the Ham Radio 101 thread. For tech, I took a practice test before I even started studying and passed it by a few questions. After that, I read through the no nonsense tech study guide and was then only missing a question or two on the practice tests. For general I went through all of the hamstudy.org flash cards. I also read through Section 97. If the question was something I didn't know, I clicked on the info tab and followed whatever links were there for more info. I wanted to actually learn the material. I started studying for extra this past Thursday and was scoring 75-80% on the practice tests by the time I stopped studying last night. Wasn't super confident I would pass it.
3. Distance traveled - 50 miles round trip.
4. Exam Site - Cooley Elementary School
5. Total time to spent at the testing location - 3 hours. Arrived a half hour early. I finished everything quickly (within an hour) but they held off on grading my Extra test for a while so that's why I ran out of time to take it again.
6. Total time from start to finish for me - about 2 weeks. I had considered it previously, but never actually did it. My neighbor behind me actually got me pointed in the right direction. He's had his Extra class for decades and has quite the impressive set up.

The local chapter of the Red Cross has tests often it seems, so I plan on going for Extra here soon.
View Quote

Congrats.  Extra is an animal of itself.  I took mine in June, and missed 9.  That was after a week and a half of studying

I don't know if its been mentioned or not, but hamtestonline is a good place to study up.  It costs money, not a lot, but it goes better than the ARRL books IMO.  It doesn't just help you learn to take the tests, but it helps you learn the material.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I am a major dyslexic knucklehead and I have avoided this despite wanting to partake in ham radio for over 30 years.

After this election I am jumping in. The thread lurking will stop and I will dig in. I am expecting this to be painful.

I hope it will only be 5 times as hard and not the usual 10 times, but oh well I want it so I will slog through.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#40]
This and the 101 thread got the juices flowing a couple of weeks ago.  Took a practice Technician exam cold and passed (just barely), so I decided to go study up for General.

In the meantime, I bought a Baofeng UV-5R to listen in on local traffic.

I've been reading the ARRL book and taking the practice exams - haven't failed a test yet. - so with 2 weeks to go until the next convenient test date, I've decided to study up for Extra.

We'll see if I can get there:)

Been fun dusting off some of the math in play there, but the regs are onerous; ops procedures are somewhat foreign, but monitoring the local 2m repeaters has helped immensely with that.

Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:11:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mass-Length-Time] [#41]
I passed the Technician, General and Extra exams this morning.  Missed a total of 2 questions - one on Tech and one on General

1. Background - PhD in computational physics, been working as a data systems engineer for 20 years.
2. How often did I study? 2-3 hours a day for the last 3 weeks studying for Extra, about an hour a day for the previous 2 weeks studying for Tech and General.  
3. Distance traveled - 13 miles/30 mins one way.
4. Exam Site - Laurel ARC (no charge).
5. Total time spent at the testing location -  1 hour.
6. Total time from start to finish for me - about 5 weeks.

I bought Kindle versions of both the ARRL General and Extra license manuals.  I wasn't sure how I'd like not having a real book to study, but the way the test questions were hyper-linked on each page was a really useful feature, plus having the Kindle app on my phone meant I could read anywhere I had time.

I also got the No Nonsense Study Guide for the Technician and General exams (first is free, the second is about $10), but they didn't really go into enough detail for me.  The author's  website was useful as a search tool for specific exam questions.

hamexam.org was a critical resource - using the stats feature I was able to identify those sections that were giving me trouble so I could go back to the manual and study up on the associated sections.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mass-Length-Time:
I passed the Technician, General and Extra exams this morning.  
View Quote

Congrats (from one physics dude to another)!    

Now, break out your wallet, because it's an addicting hobby.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Kekoa:
View Quote

LOL.  I've been playing with a Yaesu FT-7900 as a base station (well, Rx only) for the last couple of weeks while planning on exactly how to install it in my car, and I've got an intro SDR kit coming today.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#44]

LOL.  I've been playing with a Yaesu FT-7900 as a base station (well, Rx only) for the last couple of weeks while planning on exactly how to install it in my car, and I've got an intro SDR kit coming today.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kekoa:

Congratulations and a good start.  My first radio was an FT-7800 and it's still my primary dual band at home.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:17:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Taking my test in a couple weeks.  Just started studying - my goal now is to pass the general exam.

Don't have any equipment yet, for better or worse 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Finally getting off my ass and going to test for technician at the end of this month.  Been practicing on QRZ and an app on my phone.  I'm averaging 97% on the tests after one week of practicing.  

First opportunity to test in my AO is 9/28.  

I'll go for general in October.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:42:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#47]
I started practicing on HamStudy with technician-level questions today, next walk-ins-welcome test is 4 weeks away. I hated the electricity semester of physics, but it seems to be coming back to me.
I need to pick a guidebook and start reading that as well, not sure if I'll have the time to study for general for this go-round.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoyoteGray] [#48]
I tried several classes being given by local clubs but work would interfere before I could finish.
They also seemed to make things overly complicated.

What worked for me were audiobooks by Michael Burnette, AF7KB and hamstudy.org

Once I listened to a book I used HamStudy.org. The flash cards worked great for me and I would use the practice tests to get an idea of where I was at.

I was able to pass the tech test after a few weeks of an hour or two each night.
The I started to study for the general. After about a week I started in on the extra flash cards also.
For two weeks I alternated between the general and extra flash cards and tests.
I was able to pass both in one session.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Just wanted to chime in on this. I had started looking into ham on about 9/6 or so. Read several threads on here, like the ham 101 thread, and started a thread asking a couple equipment questions.

Looked into hamstudy.org, and studied for 4 or 5 nights, 1.5-2.5 hours each time. Mostly using the flash cards. At that point I was passing the practice tests pretty well.

Took the test on 9/23, passed tech, though missed 6. Took general, but missed 9 or 10. Hadn't studied at all for general.

Drove about 7 miles each way, was at American Legion hall. Test was free.  Start to finish was about 2 weeks, and studied just one week.

Plan to try for general in the next few weeks.

It was fairly straight forward, but it seemed that the practice tests were a little easier than the real one. Now I would make sure I could ace the practice tests to be comfortable knowing I could pass.

Wish I had known the milli, pico, mega, kilo better, as well as the q codes. Anyway, just do it! All you have to do is get 26 questions right, and you are on your way!
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Any-Cal:
Wish I had known the milli, pico, mega, kilo better, as well as the q codes. Anyway, just do it! All you have to do is get 26 questions right, and you are on your way!
View Quote
Congrats   As I always say, the real learning starts now. Ask questions, pay attention, listen before you transmit. Find a local club and get involved if you want to learn. State QSO party county corner expedition, special event station, Field Day or Winter Field Day operation, Foxhunts, disaster drills, all are opportunities to learn.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top