Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 5:49:44 PM EDT
I've been using the practice exams on QRZ.com and I've been really happy with them, but I ran across a question in the General Exam pool where QRZ claims the correct answer is different than what I found in the study guide.

QRZ.com General Exam G020 - Question 32

Question:

What happens when the feed-point of a cubical quad antenna is changed from the center of the lowest horizontal wire to the center of one of the vertical wires?

A.  The polarization of the radiated signal changes from horizontal to vertical.
B.  The polarization of the radiated signal changes from vertical to horizontal.
C.  The direction of the main lobe is reversed.
D.  The radiated signal changes to an omnidirectional pattern.

QRZ.com says that 'A' is the correct choice, and deductive reasoning makes me agree, but the study guide I downloaded says the correct answer is opposite of QRZ.

Here is the study guide:  http://kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/2007GeneralStudyGuide.pdf

Page 49 says:

The polarization of the radiated signal changes from vertical to horizontal
when the feed-point of a cubical quad antenna is changed from the center of the lowest horizontal
wire to the center of one of the vertical wires

So which answer is right?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
A is correct.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it's A.  You have to either believe that or build one and measure it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
A is the correct answer.

Feedpoint at bottom (or top) = horizontal polarization, feedpoint on a side = vertical.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#4]
just got my ticket as of 08-30-10 and i used www.kb0mga.net to study for the exam....super great site to help with the exam
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
just got my ticket as of 08-30-10 and i used www.kb0mga.net to study for the exam....super great site to help with the exam

Thanks for the suggestion on kb0mga.net!  I've been going through the flashcards on there and I like the set-up they have.  I take my exams on Sunday at 2PM, so I'm doing some last minute cramming tonight and all day tomorrow. LOL!  I feel pretty good about it right now, but I really want to fine tune it to increase my chances of getting me General on Sunday.  Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the suggestion on kb0mga.net!  I've been going through the flashcards on there and I like the set-up they have.  I take my exams on Sunday at 2PM, so I'm doing some last minute cramming tonight and all day tomorrow. LOL!  I feel pretty good about it right now, but I really want to fine tune it to increase my chances of getting me General on Sunday.  Wish me luck!

Good luck!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top